It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 am



Reply to topic  [ 69033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381
 Recently Seen 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Ace wrote:
Coco was wonderful. Also nice to see Pixar tackling more mature themes in their movies.
Yeah; I don't have as much to write about Coco as I have for most of what I've seen this year, but that's more due to my personal weakness when it comes to reviewing animated family fare than Coco itself being a weak example of that particular style of film... because it's not. It's quite good, as a matter of fact; it's an energetic, colorful, imaginative trip to a fully-imagined Mexican underworld, with a touch of the macabre ala The Nightmare Before Christmas in the form of the skeleton people that inhabit it, to give it some more personality (but not so disturbing as to upset the kids, of course). It's also a rather politically important film, whether it wants to be or not, not just due to having Pixar's first non-Caucasian protagonist, or being the most expensive all-Latino-cast film of all time, but by coming during a particularly dark, racially-divisive era of American history, in the way it's driven by Mexican history/culture, specifically, Day Of The Dead, which is a primary focus of the plot.

And, while a lesser film could've used this aspect to turn into a tedious, obnoxiously transparent cultural lesson trying to masquerade as a legitimate film, or even worse, devolve into thinly-veiled, borderline racist caricature of a rich, historic culture, the fundamental, underlying affection that the creators of Coco hold for Mexican culture shines throughout its entirety, while still being a genuinely creative and engaging fantasy adventure in its own right. It deals with some very adult themes of familial loyalty, forgiveness, and redemption in a weighty manner without actually getting weighed down, deals with some very adult themes of familial loyalty, forgiveness, and redemption in a weighty manner without actually getting weighed DOWN, along with some unexpected twists of story and character that I genuinely didn't see coming. And, while Coco isn't nearly as funny as a lot of other Pixars, it was still a surprisingly emotional experience nonetheless, with one of the most moving, tear-jerking moments in the company's entire long history, which is saying something. Long story short, whether you're young or old, I think just about everyone will find something of worth within Coco, and find it to be another strong addition to what is an already-historic canon of Pixar releases.

_________________
Letterboxd|Facebook


Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Are you referring to The Turin Horse?


That's the one.


Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Big Sick. Good. Charming without falling into twee. The two pairs of parents stole the show. The middle stretch where you meet Emily's parents through Kumail's eyes was the highlight for me. Showalter's direction felt too pat and indie-predictable. There was a scene where Kumail (who does fine work) was listening to Emily's voicemails, and I had trouble hearing her voice over the indie guitar-picking overlaid on the soundtrack.


Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

ski petrol wrote:

That's the one.

By any chance, are you lux from RT, because I remember him calling that film a masterpiece quite some time ago. If so, great to have you here.

_________________
Top 30 Favorite Films of All Time


Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:27 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I didn't mention it in my FB post or my review but yes it was nice to get some representation in film with Coco. We have had famous directors win Best Picture but it's been more of an afterthought. Not like this. Where it's our heritage right up and center.


Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Some quick thoughts on the last two films I've seen...

Deepwater Horizon (2016) follows the real-life events of the explosion and fire in the titular oil rig. It manages to stay afloat (no pun intended) thanks to a tight direction and solid performances, despite being too two-dimensional. Mark Wahlberg is ok, Kurt Russell is always good, and John Malkovich is delicously hammy. Really enjoyed it a lot. Grade: B+

Nocturnal Animals (2016) Now this is one I wasn't prepared for. Was expecting something more thriller-like, but was surprised at how psychological and symbolical it was. Superbly acted and thought-provoking, it surely left an impression. One that I will probably write more about later. Grade: A-


Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Circle - 5/10

I'm not sure whether the blame falls more on writer Dave Eggars or director James Ponsoldt, but since they're both insufferable hipsters we'll call it an even embarrassment. Having not read Eggars' book, I can't tell to what degree the pooch got screwed here, but it goes from the contemporarialy intriguing set-up of examing the Panopticism of our current "social" technology, and with sharp cult-parallels, to somehow doubling down on some kind of more egalitarian form of invisible social control, like an equal-opportunity surveillance tyranny, because the problem with such a system can't merely be its inherent corruptibility. In this way, the film tries to have its cake and eat it too. It shows, adequetely but not as well as The Conversation or The Lives of Others, the damages that such subtley coerced behavior can have on people, but then decides, like Pet Semetary, that the real problem is that we just haven't buried enough people into the program.

The philosophical flaw is the conflation of "secrecy" with "privacy", or the assumption that those seeking to safeguard the latter are invariably seeking to perpetuate the former, which is a useful technique in convincing people that privacy is somehow a shameful and sordid reflex, rather than a psychologically necessary form of decompressing the social stresses of one's day. This misundertanding of the inherently voluntary nature of intimacy, built on trust (consensual disclosure of personal knowledge), ignores how the uniform access of one's inner life and emotions to everyone indiscriminately erodes the value of such personal relationships which are based on earning trust through emotional accountability. That We Are The World shit may work well for Foxcomm, or in cults, but we don't need this "well-behaved society" at the expense of being meaningful individuals with inner lives worth more than taking for granted.

Plus, it's a super boring movie. Any random Black Mirror episode (but especially "Nosedive") provides a far more incisive and imaginative take on the way our technology can erode ourselves as authentic and feeling people.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Logan Lucky B


Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
The Circle - 5/10

I'm not sure whether the blame falls more on writer Dave Eggars or director James Ponsoldt, but since they're both insufferable hipsters we'll call it an even embarrassment. Having not read Eggars' book, I can't tell to what degree the pooch got screwed here, but it goes from the contemporarialy intriguing set-up of examing the Panopticism of our current "social" technology, and with sharp cult-parallels, to somehow doubling down on some kind of more egalitarian form of invisible social control, like an equal-opportunity surveillance tyranny, because the problem with such a system can't merely be its inherent corruptibility. In this way, the film tries to have its cake and eat it too. It shows, adequetely but not as well as The Conversation or The Lives of Others, the damages that such subtley coerced behavior can have on people, but then decides, like Pet Semetary, that the real problem is that we just haven't buried enough people into the program.

The philosophical flaw is the conflation of "secrecy" with "privacy", or the assumption that those seeking to safeguard the latter are invariably seeking to perpetuate the former, which is a useful technique in convincing people that privacy is somehow a shameful and sordid reflex, rather than a psychologically necessary form of decompressing the social stresses of one's day. This misundertanding of the inherently voluntary nature of intimacy, built on trust (consensual disclosure of personal knowledge), ignores how the uniform access of one's inner life and emotions to everyone indiscriminately erodes the value of such personal relationships which are based on earning trust through emotional accountability. That We Are The World shit may work well for Foxcomm, or in cults, but we don't need this "well-behaved society" at the expense of being meaningful individuals with inner lives worth more than taking for granted.

Plus, it's a super boring movie. Any random Black Mirror episode (but especially "Nosedive") provides a far more incisive and imaginative take on the way our technology can erode ourselves as authentic and feeling people.


In a Twitter exchange I had with film critic Alice Bishop, she called that one "a true stinker"

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Thief wrote:
In a Twitter exchange I had with film critic Alice Bishop, she called that one "a true stinker"

I was just fixing to click on that link.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
I was just fixing to click on that link.


I was just trying to post the tweet, didn't work.

https://twitter.com/RealAliceBishop/sta ... 8790056960

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Thief wrote:

I was just trying to post the tweet, didn't work.

https://twitter.com/RealAliceBishop/sta ... 8790056960

I agree with her overall assessment. But does she always rhyme her reviews?


Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
I agree with her overall assessment. But does she always rhyme her reviews?


I don't think so. I think that's part of the "Bad Movie Poetry" thing.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Snow White and the Huntsman

Fine.

Uhh... what else, what else. Some remarkable art direction during key sequences in the forbidden forest and the Mononoke-ish fairy tale spot with the giant reindeer. Plot's played way too straight and declarative, both on the script and acting levels, although Theron cuts a memorable figure, and her devolutions at key moments repulse. My favorite bit was when she turned into a big ol' puddle of oil. It was pretty dumb to cast well-known actors as the dwarves and then cut around them.

I think I prefer Mirror Mirror for its more colorful visuals, although both are trapped in the boundaries of just-above-mediocre mass entertainment. Both are B- movies with brief A+ bursts of energy and invention.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I watched The Disaster Artist thursday night and really enjoyed it. I'm about halfway through the book on CD and think they did a decent job of condensing so much detail into a film. My only gripe would be that they actually softened Tommy's persona a little, downplaying how manipulative and misogynistic he can be. Overall, I had a great time and honestly felt a little inspired afterward. I love the sentiment that gauging a reaction from an audience, even if it's one you didn't intend, is an accomplishment in its own right.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Spencie Returns wrote:
I watched The Disaster Artist thursday night and really enjoyed it. I'm about halfway through the book on CD and think they did a decent job of condensing so much detail into a film. My only gripe would be that they actually softened Tommy's persona a little, downplaying how manipulative and misogynistic he can be. Overall, I had a great time and honestly felt a little inspired afterward. I love the sentiment that gauging a reaction from an audience, even if it's one you didn't intend, is an accomplishment in its own right.

Apparently it was made with Wiseau's blessing, so I guess Franco didn't want to be too hard on him. Although General Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait was made with Idi Amin's blessing but Barbet Schroeder didn't go easy on him. So I guess Franco is no Schroeder, but Wiseau just might be Amin.

_________________
"Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y. K. Kim


Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Spencie Returns wrote:
I watched The Disaster Artist thursday night and really enjoyed it. I'm about halfway through the book on CD and think they did a decent job of condensing so much detail into a film. My only gripe would be that they actually softened Tommy's persona a little, downplaying how manipulative and misogynistic he can be. Overall, I had a great time and honestly felt a little inspired afterward. I love the sentiment that gauging a reaction from an audience, even if it's one you didn't intend, is an accomplishment in its own right.


I read a 4-page article on the movie earlier Sunday. It featured the Francos, Wiseau and a few others. They all seemed very game and it was an excellent read. Can't wait to see the movie. Word is it's gonna be a major awards contender this year along with Phantom Thread. They're already talking Oscar for James' performance.


Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:38 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

ski petrol wrote:
Logan Lucky B

So, uh, are you lux?

_________________
Top 30 Favorite Films of All Time


Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Months ago I started on a mission to watch every Spielberg film starting with Night Gallery. Made it through to Private Ryan and took a break, but started it up again this weekend. (For some context, Spiels has made some of my favorite movies but for the most part his sensibilities are at odds with mine and he bugs me more often than not. One of my last posts at RT was about how much better Duel was than ET)

AI Artificial Intelligence: Saw this in theaters in '01, was bugged by it, and haven't seen it again till now. The parts that I expected to annoy did just that. Parts that I liked in '01 I liked less this time. Jude Law was more obnoxious this time around than I remembered. Completely forgot that there was a talking teddy bear character. To be specific, what really bothers me is that there are some issues raised that I think are really interesting, but are completely wasted or unexamined altogether. Also I can never watch this without the "what would Kubrick do" specter hanging overhead.

Catch Me If You Can: Was pleasantly surprised by this one. Had no prior interest at all, and never would have watched it if not for this self-imposed project, but found it very entertaining. Liked Leo's and Hanks' characters, and the film mostly avoided the sappy resolution that I was bracing myself for. Regarding "true stories" I'd generally prefer to watch a documentary, but this was a good one. Recommended.

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Rock wrote:
Apparently it was made with Wiseau's blessing, so I guess Franco didn't want to be too hard on him. Although General Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait was made with Idi Amin's blessing but Barbet Schroeder didn't go easy on him. So I guess Franco is no Schroeder, but Wiseau just might be Amin.

Yeah, I saw an interview with Franco and he mentions that he told Wiseau he would portray him in a good light, in order to get the rights.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Captain Terror wrote:
Months ago I started on a mission to watch every Spielberg film starting with Night Gallery. Made it through to Private Ryan and took a break, but started it up again this weekend. (For some context, Spiels has made some of my favorite movies but for the most part his sensibilities are at odds with mine and he bugs me more often than not. One of my last posts at RT was about how much better Duel was than ET)

AI Artificial Intelligence: Saw this in theaters in '01, was bugged by it, and haven't seen it again till now. The parts that I expected to annoy did just that. Parts that I liked in '01 I liked less this time. Jude Law was more obnoxious this time around than I remembered. Completely forgot that there was a talking teddy bear character. To be specific, what really bothers me is that there are some issues raised that I think are really interesting, but are completely wasted or unexamined altogether. Also I can never watch this without the "what would Kubrick do" specter hanging overhead.

Agree with you 100% on all this (including Duel vs. ET). I doubt I'll ever watch AI again.
Truth is I feel the same way about Minority Report which people around RT seemed to love.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
Agree with you 100% on all this (including Duel vs. ET). I doubt I'll ever watch AI again.
Truth is I feel the same way about Minority Report which people around RT seemed to love.


Minority Report is next on my list and for the life of me I can't remember if I've seen it.

One example of a wasted moment from AI---I think the idea of the Flesh Fair was an interesting one. If robots get to the point where they seem human to us, at what point is a normal person willing to watch them tortured/destroyed? And what does it say about those that do? That could've been an intriguing thing to explore, but Steve-O decided to give us a Chris Rock-Bot instead, to give us all a laugh.

PS--this project I've assigned for myself means that in the near future I will be watching Crystal Skull for the first time ever. Mercy!

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I'm a little late to the party, but yeah, Coco was fantastic. Catch it at the theaters while you still can.

_________________
Top 30 Favorite Films of All Time


Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Captain Terror wrote:

Minority Report is next on my list and for the life of me I can't remember if I've seen it.

One example of a wasted moment from AI---I think the idea of the Flesh Fair was an interesting one. If robots get to the point where they seem human to us, at what point is a normal person willing to watch them tortured/destroyed? And what does it say about those that do? That could've been an intriguing thing to explore, but Steve-O decided to give us a Chris Rock-Bot instead, to give us all a laugh.

PS--this project I've assigned for myself means that in the near future I will be watching Crystal Skull for the first time ever. Mercy!

Exactly. Ugh.
People who argue that, no Spielberg did EXACTLY what Kubrick wanted are fucking kidding themselves.
Good luck on Crystal Skull.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
People who argue that, no Spielberg did EXACTLY what Kubrick wanted are fucking kidding themselves.

Well, technically Kubrick wanted Spielberg to make the film anyway, which is why he set it aside to do Eyes Wide Shut instead.

Incidently, at this time Kubrick also shelved his Aryan Papers project because he felt that Schindler's List had made it obsolete. I only point that out to remind that Kubrick was actually quite a fan of Spielberg's work.

Obviously they are very different filmmakers, and, you're right, anyone thinking that Spielberg would make a film exactly like Kubrick would have made it are foolish. One of the reasons why Kubrick gave the project to Spielberg was that he wanted that Spielberg touch to it, like E.T. or something, which Kubrick knew was impossible for himself to produce.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:29 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I liked AI as Spielberg's commentary on his own work i.e.
the robot kid doesn't want anything more than to be his mother's child and sacrifices his future for one last perfect day with her, like that sort of sentiment being the thing that saps him of the desire to be anything else (although iirc it was in his programming). I thought the ideas were expressed well-enough given that I expect any Spielberg movie to still have some of that mainstream glow and hand-holding that gets it from being too gritty.

maybe the Flesh Fair was some kind of parallel to how moviegoers get entertainment from watching characters get maimed and destroyed on screen. sure they're not "real" but they all look and sound like humans and as long as they aren't too "human" we're not gonna feel too too bad when they get it. I have no idea if that was running through anyone's mind when they were designing that sequence, might just be my impression.... after all Spielberg has made movies about the Holocaust and American slavery so that might have been more what he was trying to evoke.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Did I mention I watched Death Ship again? I watched Death Ship again.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Spotlight (2015)

Powerful, engrossing film about Boston reporters uncovering the higher-ups of the Catholic church hiding priest's sex abuse.

Stars the Hulk, Howard Stark, the Vulture, Dr. Strange's girlfriend and Sabretooth.

9/10

_________________
Can't find my way home


Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I liked AI as Spielberg's commentary on his own work i.e.
the robot kid doesn't want anything more than to be his mother's child and sacrifices his future for one last perfect day with her, like that sort of sentiment being the thing that saps him of the desire to be anything else (although iirc it was in his programming). I thought the ideas were expressed well-enough given that I expect any Spielberg movie to still have some of that mainstream glow and hand-holding that gets it from being too gritty.

maybe the Flesh Fair was some kind of parallel to how moviegoers get entertainment from watching characters get maimed and destroyed on screen. sure they're not "real" but they all look and sound like humans and as long as they aren't too "human" we're not gonna feel too too bad when they get it. I have no idea if that was running through anyone's mind when they were designing that sequence, might just be my impression.... after all Spielberg has made movies about the Holocaust and American slavery so that might have been more what he was trying to evoke.

Obviously, it's "that mainstream glow and hand-holding" that is my and it sounds like Terror's problem with his films.


Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

maybe the Flesh Fair was some kind of parallel to how moviegoers get entertainment from watching characters get maimed and destroyed on screen. sure they're not "real" but they all look and sound like humans and as long as they aren't too "human" we're not gonna feel too too bad when they get it. I have no idea if that was running through anyone's mind when they were designing that sequence, might just be my impression.... after all Spielberg has made movies about the Holocaust and American slavery so that might have been more what he was trying to evoke.[/spoiler]


Well, that was my issue. I thought that's what that scene could've been, but felt that Spielberg undermined it with the Chris Rock cameo and overall humorous tone. That was probably an intentional attempt at keeping things light, I'm not accusing SS of not knowing what he's doing. I only wish he didn't have that tendency.

I don't remember much about the behind-the-scenes stuff all these years later, so if this is the movie Stanley wanted SS to make, fair enough. What I meant was that I always wish SK had just made it himself.

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Captain Terror wrote:

Well, that was my issue. I thought that's what that scene could've been, but felt that Spielberg undermined it with the Chris Rock cameo and overall humorous tone. That was probably an intentional attempt at keeping things light, I'm not accusing SS of not knowing what he's doing. I only wish he didn't have that tendency.

I don't remember much about the behind-the-scenes stuff all these years later, so if this is the movie Stanley wanted SS to make, fair enough. What I meant was that I always wish SK had just made it himself.

Yes! Amen!


Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Flesh Fair wasnt in the original script. Spielberg added that.
Personally I really enjoy A.I. I loved most of the things that Wooley and Captain Terror liked.


Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 am
Profile YIM
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I, Tonya - 6/10
I suspect everyone involved in the production here was so caught up in the bona fides of the story (Black List screenplay! Physically challenging lead role! Period detail!) that nobody bothered to demand another pass at the script. It's not that Steven Rogers' screenplay lacks insight, so much as the insight is conveyed too bluntly. We don't need Margot Robbie's Tonya Harding telling us point-black to the camera that a history of parental and spousal abuse left her with a poor sense of self-worth. We already know that from what's dramatized. And we sure as hell don't need to end the movie on a trite, cliché-riddled monologue about how "there is no truth" and "that's the truth." The whole thing is conveyed to the screen with a Scorsesean verve (Classic rock soundtrack! Whip pans! Slow motion!) without the very necessary Scorsesean precision, so despite all the gliding camerawork, the skating sequences never have the visceral punch they need. A little more subjective sound work, for instance, would have helped give us a better feeling of being in Tonya's skates, isolated there on the ice. And the soundtrack selection is often eye-rollingly on the nose. That being said, the movie has its merits. The acting is uniformly impressive, with the standouts being Allison Janney as Tonya's foul-mouthed mother and Paul Walter Hauser as Shawn Eckhart, a performance that seems so broadly buffoonish as to be unbelievable, until you remember just how big a buffoon Eckhart made of himself in interviews at the time. Overall, it's not a bad movie, but feels like a missed opportunity to do something a little more nuanced, which it is clearly aiming for.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 69033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captain Terror, Thief and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.