It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 72385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1435, 1436, 1437, 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441 ... 1448  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
The Thing From Another World - 9/10 - Time-wise it's as concise as most movies were from that era. Clocks in at 87 minutes so there's none of that extraneous exposition and bloat. But the characters are so cleanly delineated that it altogether illustrates the meaning of "less is more". The overlapping dialogue predates Robert Altman's technique by a couple of decades. The loose and easy banter between the airmen (and a reporter) is a much needed departure from the somewhat stilted and sluggish dialogue of other movies from that age. It certainly earned it's status as a classic.

Everything around the monster is fantastic, but it's so hard for me to get invested in the drama surrounding the Frankensteinian vegetable from beyond. I'm also not crazy on the structure of "Let's try to kill it this way" (it doesn't work) "I dunno, let's try this other way" (it works) "Hooray." It's one of a few '50s b-movies where the monster is the least interesting element.

Agreed on the concision and the clearly-defined characters and the dialogue. In terms of its humanism and precision, it's up there with the best of its decade, like It Came From Outer Space and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:07 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
The Thing From Another World - 9/10 - Time-wise it's as concise as most movies were from that era. Clocks in at 87 minutes so there's none of that extraneous exposition and bloat. But the characters are so cleanly delineated that it altogether illustrates the meaning of "less is more". The overlapping dialogue predates Robert Altman's technique by a couple of decades. The loose and easy banter between the airmen (and a reporter) is a much needed departure from the somewhat stilted and sluggish dialogue of other movies from that age. It certainly earned it's status as a classic.

Damn fine film. Damn fine.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:26 am

Ant-Man and the Wasp - 8/10 - I ended up liking this even though, like most sequels, they doubled down on everything that worked in the original, like story lines and players. But the whole thing is ultimately such a fun undertaking that you can't help but be entertained. Paul Rudd is a hard man to hate. Good mid-credits cliffhanger too.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am

Venom - 8/10

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm

First Man was exceptional. It's a clear front runner for Best Picture. Everyone was firing on all cylinders.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Early Man - 7/10 - It's not as good as the Wallace and Grommit films but it's still better than I was expecting. Go into it with lowered expectations and you'll probably enjoy the experience.

EDIT: This sounds like I'm damning it with faint praise. But it does have it's appeal. It's an Aardman Studios project so that alone is enough of a recommendation. And I found myself charmed by it in numerous places. More so than something like Shaun the Sheep for instance.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
First Man was exceptional. It's a clear front runner for Best Picture. Everyone was firing on all cylinders.

Any forced or forgettable musical sequences?

Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:43 pm

topherH wrote:

Any forced or forgettable musical sequences?

None though I can't recall any musical sequence in a Chazelle film being forced or forgettable.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:49 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

None though I can't recall any musical sequence in a Chazelle film being forced or forgettable.

Whiplash was pretty fantastic.

Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:12 am

I found the majority of the music in La La Land to be forgettable. Not forced though. I still want to see this film though.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:25 am

topherH wrote:

Whiplash was pretty fantastic.

Fletcher is one of the scariest characters to appear on the silver screen.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:01 am

Whiplash is great, and it's more tragic every time I think about it.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:51 am

Alright, alright. I just had to get one more haymaker in on la la land.

First Man - 8.5/10

I could have used more Buzz Aldrin. Plus I forgot how many old people go to day showings on Friday for new movies so there seemed to be talking throughout. I gave the movie an extra .5 because an old lady sitting behind me just snapped and said "this is stupid!!! What does that even mean?" Apparently she had to get home and the movie was taking its sweet ass time getting to the end.

Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:49 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I found the majority of the music in La La Land to be forgettable. Not forced though. I still want to see this film though.

The film only really has a handful of actual tracks, Another Day of Sun, Someone in the Crowd, City of Stars, Lovely Night and Fools Who Dream. They all share motifs and certain beats, which makes the combination epilogue rather seemless. I also think the lyrics greatly foreshadow the conclusion but due to how upbeat they are, they successfully disguise a conclusion that's inevitable. I think they're pretty perfect for the movie they are in, with SiTC being the stand out track and musical sequence.

I don't consider them forgettable because of this nor do I understand how they or Whiplash could be "forced," given that they're a musical and a movie about music respectively. It's not Magnolia or the Bolltwood ending to Slumdog.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The film only really has a handful of actual tracks, Another Day of Sun, Someone in the Crowd, City of Stars, Lovely Night and Fools Who Dream. They all share motifs and certain beats, which makes the combination epilogue rather seemless. I also think the lyrics greatly foreshadow the conclusion but due to how upbeat they are, they successfully disguise a conclusion that's inevitable. I think they're pretty perfect for the movie they are in, with SiTC being the stand out track and musical sequence.

I don't consider them forgettable because of this nor do I understand how they or Whiplash could be "forced," given that they're a musical and a movie about music respectively. It's not Magnolia or the Bolltwood ending to Slumdog.

I didn't notice the foreshadowing. However, I've seen the film a couple times and despite this, none of the songs ever linger with me or are interesting to my ears. Since there aren't that many songs in the second half as well, this doesn't help me remember any of them to a greater extent as I sometimes forget that it's a musical.

But yeah, I agree they're not forced. I didn't mean to imply they were in my above post.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:06 am

I couldn't make it through more than five minutes of La La Land.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I couldn't make it through more than five minutes of La La Land.

You couldn't make it through one elaborately choreographed song and dance number?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:06 pm

topherH wrote:
Alright, alright. I just had to get one more haymaker in on la la land.

First Man - 8.5/10

I could have used more Buzz Aldrin. Plus I forgot how many old people go to day showings on Friday for new movies so there seemed to be talking throughout. I gave the movie an extra .5 because an old lady sitting behind me just snapped and said "this is stupid!!! What does that even mean?" Apparently she had to get home and the movie was taking its sweet ass time getting to the end.

I was reading to day that the movie is really based on a biography of Armstrong and not on the story of the moon-landing itself, hence the title and it not necessarily being exactly the moon-landing movie people want to force it to be.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Wooley wrote:
I was reading to day that the movie is really based on a biography of Armstrong and not on the story of the moon-landing itself, hence the title and it not necessarily being exactly the moon-landing movie people want to force it to be.

That's accurate. I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Missing |Gavras, 1982| +

+ Recommended

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Paperhouse (1988) - 3/10

The problem here is that it can't decide what it wants to be. When it starts off, it's set up to be a horror tale both by the eerie music which introduced the scenes of the house and the introduction of Anna's father which establishes him as dangerously violent. Once the film finally gets to the horror aspect though, the film scraps that shortly afterwards and turns the film into a cheesy, emotionally manipulative film. If they were just going for that, I don't know why so much time was spent on building this film up to be horror. There are a few strengths in here though. I guess the buildup wasn't too bad. Also, I can admire the film for leaving the explanation of their imaginations ambiguous. Finally, the ending was a pretty good concept. However, I think it would've made more sense if her Dad pulled her back from the cliff, because this would've made for a more definitive conclusion on his character arc. I don't think these strengths outweigh everything I disliked about it though.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:45 am

Yeah, Paperhouse is one of those movies that really ought to be good and just isn't. The Reflecting Skin left me with a similar feeling (though it's still significantly better than Paperhouse).

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 am

OK, seems like everyone is in love with Mandy. How is Beyond the Black Rainbow and how does it connect with this film? Cosmatos has said that this film felt like a needed breath after the first film, indicating that they're linked in some way. What gives?

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
You couldn't make it through one elaborately choreographed song and dance number?
No. I'm not proud of it. But in my defense, the other two people I was watching it with voted to turn it off as well. And, truth be known, I'm not big on musicals. Anyway we got as far as Emma Stone (?) talking with a co worker before pulling the plug.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
OK, seems like everyone is in love with Mandy. How is Beyond the Black Rainbow and how does it connect with this film? Cosmatos has said that this film felt like a needed breath after the first film, indicating that they're linked in some way. What gives?

I haven’t seen Mandy yet but I disliked BTBR. It had an extremely limited aesthetic and felt like the same plodding scenes over and over until it devolved into a conventional slasher. It has themes about control and whatnot so I imagine there is some repeated thematic territory between the two.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:46 am

I've never seen La La Land and have never been particularly inclined to watch it.

I'll stick with this charming interview snippet of Stone and Gosling which is funny and charming and about 35 times shorter than a feature film.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
No. I'm not proud of it. But in my defense, the other two people I was watching it with voted to turn it off as well. And, truth be known, I'm not big on musicals. Anyway we got as far as Emma Stone (?) talking with a co worker before pulling the plug.

I think you should give it a shot with people that aren’t averse to it. I can’t watch movies for the first time with my sister because I can feel her negativity towards a film permeating in the atmosphere and it taints the experience. I think even people who don’t like musicals can appreciate the filmmaking, performances and conclusion.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I've never seen La La Land and have never been particularly inclined to watch it.

I'll stick with this charming interview snippet of Stone and Gosling which is funny and charming and about 35 times shorter than a feature film.

Watch it Tak.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Watch it Tak.

Ugh.

Fine.

By which I mean it is now in spot 395 of my Netflix queue. I'm really not that into musicals. Or romances.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:18 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Ugh.

Fine.

By which I mean it is now in spot 395 of my Netflix queue. I'm really not that into musicals. Or romances.

If you like the chemistry of Gosling and Stone, fantastic cinematography and sharp editing, you should enjoy it regardless of genre preferences.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

If you like the chemistry of Gosling and Stone, fantastic cinematography and sharp editing, you should enjoy it regardless of genre preferences.

Fair enough. The last musical I watched was Gigi, so there's almost no way it won't be a huge step up.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:38 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Fair enough. The last musical I watched was Gigi, so there's almost no way it won't be a huge step up.

Have you seen An American In Paris, Young Girls of Rochefort, Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Cabaret?

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:48 am

Gigi sucks but I do like that one tune from the soundtrack, "I'm Gonna Get Me a Shotgun and Kill All The Whiteys I See".

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Have you seen An American In Paris, Young Girls of Rochefort, Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Cabaret?

I've seen An American In Paris and quite liked it. There are musicals I enjoy, but like 90% of them just end up annoying me.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:56 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I've seen An American In Paris and quite liked it. There are musicals I enjoy, but like 90% of them just end up annoying me.

Then La La Land bodes well as that film is an integral part of it's DNA. I'd say those are the ones that Chazelle homages or tries to work into the pastiche of balancing real world drama and musical fantasy.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:01 am

I had a bad time at the El Royale with Bad Times at the El Royale. (Eat it, Gene Shalit!) It's an hour too long, and whatever tension it builds in the first hour or so is long gone by the time its over. Goddard is essentially doing Tarantino, but his writing isn't nearly as sharp, his characters aren't as well drawn (Cynthia Erivo's character is supposed to be the moral centre, but it doesn't work because she literally has no characteristics other than singing and being sad), lacks the same technical precision, and he's not even Guy Ritchie, who knows how to pay off intermingling plot threads. This is another movie like The Cabin in the Woods where Goddard knows his reference points well enough to cite them, but doesn't understand how to use them to actually build tension.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am

Rock wrote:
I had a bad time at the El Royale with Bad Times at the El Royale. (Eat it, Gene Shalit!) It's an hour too long, and whatever tension it builds in the first hour or so is long gone by the time its over. Goddard is essentially doing Tarantino, but his writing isn't nearly as sharp, his characters aren't as well drawn (Cynthia Erivo's character is supposed to be the moral centre, but it doesn't work because she literally has no characteristics other than singing and being sad), lacks the same technical precision, and he's not even Guy Ritchie, who knows how to pay off intermingling plot threads. This is another movie like The Cabin in the Woods where Goddard knows his reference points well enough to cite them, but doesn't understand how to use them to actually build tension.

Oh no. No, sir.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Ugh.

Fine.

What kind of soulless, hell-creature doesn't like musica... oh, hey Tak!

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am

Wooley wrote:
Oh no. No, sir.

Yes.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am

Wooley wrote:
What kind of soulless, hell-creature doesn't like musica... oh, hey Tak!

Again, my current point of reference is Gigi, aka Pedo Paradise: The Musical!

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 am

Takoma1 wrote:
There are musicals I enjoy, but like 90% of them just end up annoying me.

I'm with you, and I can't explain why. Like, when I hear a song from Grease on the radio I can recognize that it's a good song, and I might even like it. But in the context of the film I immediately shut down when it happens. I saw Corpse Bride at a local theater last month, a film I've seen multiple times. As soon as the first song started I was like "Oh right, I forgot. There's songs."

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm with you, and I can't explain why. Like, when I hear a song from Grease on the radio I can recognize that it's a good song, and I might even like it. But in the context of the film I immediately shut down when it happens. I saw Corpse Bride at a local theater last month, a film I've seen multiple times. As soon as the first song started I was like "Oh right, I forgot. There's songs."

I can't quite explain why either, but I think it has something to do with the on/off suspension of disbelief/alternate reality where people suddenly sing their feelings, where people say/sing things to people who then don't remember they were sung/said, etc. I also often feel like musical numbers wreck the pace of the film as characters take 4 minutes to sing what they could say in like two lines of dialogue.

I do okay with most Disney musicals. I like Nightmare Before Christmas, Rocky Horror, The Sound of Music, Moulin Rouge, Singin' in the Rain, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I liked the music element of The Lure. I really like the remake of Hairspray. I love Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Generally speaking I do a lot better when music is a part of the plot. And I know this is stating the obvious, but the music needs to be good. Sitting through a bad song in a musical is so painful. I mean, I've seen The Corpse Bride, and I couldn't name or hum any of the songs from it.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:11 am

My appreciation for musicals is fairly similar to my appreciation of martial arts films. I find the craft necessary to successfully capture the kineticism and complexity of great choreography (I favor dancing to show tunes) to be extremely impressive as there is an extra layer to the choreography and editing that allows them to sync and match. Also, if anyone has seen my short films, I love rhythmic editing that is synchronized to music. I think it also demands a different paradigm and approach to the way narrative serves each sequence, much in the way Kung Fu movies usually operate through high melodrama emphasized through physicality.

But I'm not fond of a great deal of music in musicals. Despite that, I still love a great many of them and a musical with great music is often hard to touch. Cabaret is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

La La Land is one of my favorite films.of the last decade.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:46 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Generally speaking I do a lot better when music is a part of the plot. And I know this is stating the obvious, but the music needs to be good. Sitting through a bad song in a musical is so painful. I mean, I've seen The Corpse Bride, and I couldn't name or hum any of the songs from it.

Yeah, I'll go along with your 90% figure that you used earlier. There's that 10% that I'm ok with. Saw Wizard of Oz at a theater years ago and I'm man enough to admit that "Over the Rainbow" made me cry. This just in: that's a great song. And then there's movies where the music is so much better than the surrounding film (Xanadu). But for the most part I've got this mental block against them. That's the main reason I've never seen a Bollywood film and have no desire to even try one.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:
That's the main reason I've never seen a Bollywood film and have no desire to even try one.

Give Lagaan a shot sometime. The songs are good and the plot is pretty fun.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:17 am

Rock wrote:
Yes.

Pfft.
Nothing short of a modern classic.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Yeah, I'll go along with your 90% figure that you used earlier. There's that 10% that I'm ok with. Saw Wizard of Oz at a theater years ago and I'm man enough to admit that "Over the Rainbow" made me cry. This just in: that's a great song. And then there's movies where the music is so much better than the surrounding film (Xanadu). But for the most part I've got this mental block against them. That's the main reason I've never seen a Bollywood film and have no desire to even try one.

Well, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is probably the best song of the 20th Century so... you're forgiven.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 pm

The Foreigner - 8/10 - I'm rounding up even though this is closer to a 7.5/10. I'm doing this because hey, it's Jackie Chan in one of those projects that you wish all your favorite action stars would get the chance to star in at least once. A legitimate thriller. And no, it's not going to win any awards for originality but it's so good to watch Chan get a chance to stretch his acting muscles. I think the story holds together well enough and weaves in anti-terrorism and the IRA. It also gives Pierce Brosnan another meaty role in which to shine.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Holy Motors (2012) - 10/10

This more I watch this, the more mysterious it feels. The film's point is to detail the evolution and the death of cinema. One thing I noticed upon revisiting it was after the entr'acte, it was difficult to tell whether the "appointments" Oscar went to were really appointments of if they were actually happening as they seemed to blend into reality. I think this showed that, since camera technology improved throughout the years due to multiple technological advancements, the imagery they captured looked sharper and more akin to reality. I think this is a really creative aspect. There's also many other great interpretive sequences which I thought were quite brilliant such as the opening, the ending, and several scenes within the film.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Holy Motors (2012) - 10/10

This more I watch this, the more mysterious it feels. The film's point is to detail the evolution and the death of cinema. One thing I noticed upon revisiting it was after the entr'acte, it was difficult to tell whether the "appointments" Oscar went to were really appointments of if they were actually happening as they seemed to blend into reality. I think this showed that, since camera technology improved throughout the years due to multiple technological advancements, the imagery they captured looked sharper and more akin to reality. I think this is a really creative aspect. There's also many other great interpretive sequences which I thought were quite brilliant such as the opening, the ending, and several scenes within the film.

Ooooh, man, I been wantin' to watch this for years. Psyched.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm with you, and I can't explain why. Like, when I hear a song from Grease on the radio I can recognize that it's a good song, and I might even like it. But in the context of the film I immediately shut down when it happens.

I enjoy musicals but have never made it more than five minutes into Grease. Something about that movie's aesthetic bugs the hell out me.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1435, 1436, 1437, 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441 ... 1448  Next