It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 73094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
I also hope it takes the Screenplay nom. In terms of brand new words, I can't figure out if I prefer "vajuju" or "cuntstruck".

I think when you add the "ninety-six year old French whore's" back to vajuju, it gets the age.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 am

The Wife was a wonderful surprise.

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/the-wife-2017/

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

RBG was a solid, if straightforward, documentary that succeeded in making me love it's subject to a degree I don't normally reserve for public figures.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
RBG was a solid, if straightforward, documentary that succeeded in making me love it's subject to a degree I don't normally reserve for public figures.
Just wait until you see BMK.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Just wait until you see BMK.

I do like beer now that you mention it... And it's only one letter off from BTK...

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Edge of Seventeen (which is currently on Netflix) was really good. A teen girl's life goes haywire when her best (and only) friend starts dating her much more good looking, popular older brother. As her relationships (with her mother, her brother, her friend, etc) deconstruct, she seems headed toward disaster. A relationship with a sympathetic, straight-shooting teacher (Woody Harrelson) provides a much needed lifeline.

In terms of teen films, I'm a big fan of the recent spate of them that don't feel the need to bring in one-dimensional evil cheerleaders or date rapists to generate conflict and develop their characters. Nadine is miserable because she hates how she looks and she can't seem to click with most of her peers in a meaningful way. When the two voices that boost her up (her father, who dies in the first ten minutes, and her best friend) are gone, it becomes clear just how precarious her stability was. The film allows us to see how Nadine takes her best friend's actions as a betrayal, while also showing that there's nothing vindictive or particularly selfish in the behavior of the best friend or her brother.

Just all around I thought this one was pretty great.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:20 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Edge of Seventeen (which is currently on Netflix) was really good. A teen girl's life goes haywire when her best (and only) friend starts dating her much more good looking, popular older brother. As her relationships (with her mother, her brother, her friend, etc) deconstruct, she seems headed toward disaster. A relationship with a sympathetic, straight-shooting teacher (Woody Harrelson) provides a much needed lifeline.

In terms of teen films, I'm a big fan of the recent spate of them that don't feel the need to bring in one-dimensional evil cheerleaders or date rapists to generate conflict and develop their characters. Nadine is miserable because she hates how she looks and she can't seem to click with most of her peers in a meaningful way. When the two voices that boost her up (her father, who dies in the first ten minutes, and her best friend) are gone, it becomes clear just how precarious her stability was. The film allows us to see how Nadine takes her best friend's actions as a betrayal, while also showing that there's nothing vindictive or particularly selfish in the behavior of the best friend or her brother.

Just all around I thought this one was pretty great.

Agree with all of that and I thought it was genuinely funny as well. Steinfeld and Harrelson are great together.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Agree with all of that and I thought it was genuinely funny as well. Steinfeld and Harrelson are great together.

When Harrelson was reading her text message I was dying laughing.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am

Aquaman - 8/10

And every day the paper boy brings more

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am

Well... Battle Angel: Alita wasn't good.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Life of Brian - 9.5/10

This was good.

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Damn.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Friend of mine is taking me for my birthday.

But I have zero expectations for it.

And every day the paper boy brings more

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 pm

It's surprising how many big films are coming out and just... bombing. Mortal Engines, Bumblebee, The Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, Alita, and why not? Solo? It's like you can't even tell what's going to make a film tank or not. I mean, some you could see they would stink from a mile (Mortal Engines?), but I've read ok/solid review for Alita, and yet it's not doing good. Bumblebee was pretty well received by critics and some audience, it had some staying power in the box office, and still it didn't leave a mark.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 am

Thief wrote:
It's surprising how many big films are coming out and just... bombing. Mortal Engines, Bumblebee, The Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, Alita, and why not? Solo? It's like you can't even tell what's going to make a film tank or not. I mean, some you could see they would stink from a mile (Mortal Engines?), but I've read ok/solid review for Alita, and yet it's not doing good. Bumblebee was pretty well received by critics and some audience, it had some staying power in the box office, and still it didn't leave a mark.

I feel like Blade Runner 2049 and Ghost In The Shell set a pretty good barometer that people just aren't into stylized Science-Fiction right now. Probably some others, too. I had some interest in the film because of the cast and because I do like stylized Science-Fiction, but the problem is that if you're going to spend the budget to make something like that, you probably have to make it very mainstream to break even. And Alita did not look mainstream to me, had a little more of that independent-director vibe. Take Del Toro. His movies don't really make money, not in the sense that any blockbuster does. He has, what, one movie that broke a hundred million in his whole career (and even that one just barely)?

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:23 am

Alita is going strong in the Asian markets it opened in, particularly Korea - It will struggle to make 100 million domestic but overseas we're looking at a hit, especially considering the regions more familiar with the manga. My prediction is 500+ mil world, 100 mil domestic.

Have you read the manga, MKS? Say more things about it, I'm seeing it tomorrow

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 am

Wooley wrote:
Take Del Toro. His movies don't really make money, not in the sense that any blockbuster does. He has, what, one movie that broke a hundred million in his whole career (and even that one just barely)?

I don't want to be that guy, but he had three (Pacific Rim, The Shape of Water, Blade II) and the first Hellboy almost made that (99,3 million).
Otherwise, I think most people really don't care about science fiction blockbusters these days, unless you are talking about superheroes or Star Wars, and even that's not a guarantee (see Solo).

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 am
Profile WWW

Jinnistan wrote:
I also hope it takes the Screenplay nom. In terms of brand new words, I can't figure out if I prefer "vajuju" or "cuntstruck".

That one did make me giggle :P

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Alita is going strong in the Asian markets it opened in, particularly Korea - It will struggle to make 100 million domestic but overseas we're looking at a hit, especially considering the regions more familiar with the manga. My prediction is 500+ mil world, 100 mil domestic.

Have you read the manga, MKS? Say more things about it, I'm seeing it tomorrow

I have not read the manga yet. I hear that there are some differences but that the manga doesn't feature her with disproportionate eyes to others and that it goes absolutely bananas with it's sequel story (though maybe I'm confusing that with another manga.

Here were some expanded thoughts on it:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/alita-battle-angel/

Trying to avoid dipping into spoiler territory.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:48 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Here were some expanded thoughts on it:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/alita-battle-angel/

Trying to avoid dipping into spoiler territory.
Cheers! I highly recommend the manga, I can't put it elegantly to words but it's some of the most vibrant action ever in manga or comic. Having that rollerball stuff translated into a movie has been a wish of mine so I'm rooting for this movie to get a sequel... shame about the ending. Based on the footage I've seen it seems like it doesn't compromise the story at all, I recognize the beats. I'll return with impressions tomorrow

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
the manga doesn't feature her with disproportionate eyes to others

Wat

Why would they do that then

They freak me out

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:35 am

Slentert wrote:
I don't want to be that guy, but he had three (Pacific Rim, The Shape of Water, Blade II) and the first Hellboy almost made that (99,3 million).
Otherwise, I think most people really don't care about science fiction blockbusters these days, unless you are talking about superheroes or Star Wars, and even that's not a guarantee (see Solo).

Sorry, I'm talking about Domestic Gross, which is how these things were considered for U.S-produced movies until the last couple of years (nobody cared what The Dark Knight or Titanic was making overseas when we were tracking if the former could overtake the latter, it was Domestic Gross everyone was following), I should have been clear about that. When we say, for example, Black Panther had a $220M opening, we aren't even considering anything from any other country, despite DC's clever recent ploys to change that to help their cause. Anyway, domestic gross, only Pacific Rim broke even $100M, by one million dollars. Outside of that, he has one film that even broke $80M U.S. Obviously not all of his films were produced in the U.S. system, but those that weren't didn't even come close so are not really relevant.
And it certainly looks like Star Wars has taken a bit of a hit, but the second-to-most-recent film still made a hefty $620M.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:20 am

Wooley wrote:
And it certainly looks like Star Wars has taken a bit of a hit, but the second-to-most-recent film still made a hefty $620M.

Yeah, the Solo case has many other variables to consider. First, I don't think many people were clamoring for a prequel to one of their favorite characters in film history (kinda like they're not clamoring for a prequel to Die Hard or 24 now?). Then there's the drama behind-the-scenes, which I'm sure hindered the box office potential of the film. I might add a bit of Star Wars fatigue to the equation, but I really don't think it would factor in much if the other two weren't present.

I do know that the only three films I've seen in theaters in the last 3-4 years have been The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi, and I still haven't cared enough to watch Solo.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Thief wrote:

Yeah, the Solo case has many other variables to consider. First, I don't think many people were clamoring for a prequel to one of their favorite characters in film history (kinda like they're not clamoring for a prequel to Die Hard or 24 now?). Then there's the drama behind-the-scenes, which I'm sure hindered the box office potential of the film. I might add a bit of Star Wars fatigue to the equation, but I really don't think it would factor in much if the other two weren't present.

I do know that the only three films I've seen in theaters in the last 3-4 years have been The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi, and I still haven't cared enough to watch Solo.

Well, I agree with you. I liked The Force Awakens but I thought Rogue One and The Last Jedi were crap so I'm not seeing another Star Wars movie in the theater unless people whose opinions I strongly trust tell me it's really good.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Out latest Manic Pixie Dream Warrior is a flat offering? Even with those gigantic Disney/Anime eyes?

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:24 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Out latest Manic Pixie Dream Warrior is a flat offering? Even with those gigantic Disney/Anime eyes?

What's worse, the sequel is about a supreme court justice:

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:29 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

You are such an incel

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 am

The Nameless One wrote:
You are such an incel

Hey Nameless.

Glad to see you're back to posting.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:02 am

The Hills Run Red has its fair share of shooting and most of it's well done so it should be reasonably diverting for fans of westerns, spaghetti or otherwise, but without the stylishness of Leone or the B-movie brute force of Django, it's a hard sell to anyone outside that group. It would help if the movie had a memorable presence outside of Henry Silva's villain, and one would think the dub voice actor for the female lead could at least manage a consistent southern accent. (The actress also looks like a cross between Stefania Sandrelli and the actress from Disco Dancer, which was bugging the hell out of me until I finally placed the resemblance.)

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Deadfall (1993) is, for lack of a better word, weird. A movie that exemplifies the '90s strange fascination with sleazy crime thrillers, it features Michael Biehn's con man Joe going down a rabbit hole featuring a pool shark played by Charlie Sheen who mentions Mark Twain for no reason and reminds us that sometimes, "one plus one equals one," Phantasm's Angus Scrimm with a claw for a hand and, well, whatever Nicolas Cage is doing. All of this oddness is effective in making you wonder what the hell Joe has got himself into, but it contrasts so much with Biehn's and James Coburn's relatively straight performances as Joe's uncle and co-conspirator that it makes the movie very tonally inconsistent. It's a sensation not far off from biting into a chocolate bar that you didn't know had chili peppers in it: while chocolate and chili actually go pretty well together, you're going to think about the unexpected ingredient for the rest of the day. The movie ends up being a mildly amusing rumination on the hollowness of the con life, but again, what you'll most likely ruminate on when it's over is "what the hell did I just watch?"

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Well... Battle Angel: Alita was good, but I understand your complaints. There's some important connective tissue missing from the script, particularly near the ending (which I was largely okay with). What I did get was a near-perfect cinematic translation of the first few volumes of the manga, reducing the episodic nature of the story and weaving all of the respective subplots together in impressive form. It was just about as good a Battle Angel Alita movie as it could be, Alita herself being a highlight... they captured her character so well. I came to appreciate the eyes as it went along, there were moments in the action where her eyes need to be that huge and expressive, there's a lot being calculated in that brain of hers and it shows. There was a moment after her first fight where her eyes and head are darting around in a fit of hyper-awareness and it was the most impressive moment of CGI performance I have ever seen. The Kansas bar brawl was the highlight of the film for me, Zapan was a highlight character in general (pretty boy with the sword). I appreciate that they didn't skimp on the story's savagery, particularly with Hugo near the end. It's like... PG-15. Good use of a solitary "fuck"

8/10, give or take 2 points given your investment in the story. I can understand a 6. Anything below that is egregious critique, there's a lot of good here. We're very lucky to have this movie in as good of shape as it is

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 am

Chuck- '16

Good film about the life of Chuck Wepner, the nobody that went 15 with Ali. I knew a lot about his life but this film did fill in the blanks for me. Good cast that all performed well within their roles.

!8/10

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Well... Battle Angel: Alita was good, but I understand your complaints. There's some important connective tissue missing from the script, particularly near the ending (which I was largely okay with). What I did get was a near-perfect cinematic translation of the first few volumes of the manga, reducing the episodic nature of the story and weaving all of the respective subplots together in impressive form. It was just about as good a Battle Angel Alita movie as it could be, Alita herself being a highlight... they captured her character so well. I came to appreciate the eyes as it went along, there were moments in the action where her eyes need to be that huge and expressive, there's a lot being calculated in that brain of hers and it shows. There was a moment after her first fight where her eyes and head are darting around in a fit of hyper-awareness and it was the most impressive moment of CGI performance I have ever seen. The Kansas bar brawl was the highlight of the film for me, Zapan was a highlight character in general (pretty boy with the sword). I appreciate that they didn't skimp on the story's savagery, particularly with Hugo near the end. It's like... PG-15. Good use of a solitary "fuck"

8/10, give or take 2 points given your investment in the story. I can understand a 6. Anything below that is egregious critique, there's a lot of good here. We're very lucky to have this movie in as good of shape as it is

I wanted to like the film far more than I did and I'm almost happy to see people disagree because it's the kind of film I want to succeed. I even hold hope that should I be more acquainted with the source I would like it more but unlike Sin City, which was similarly my introduction to that comic book world, it just didn't work for me as a film. I suspected that many of the questionable elements and slapdash pacing were due to cramming multiple manga plots into one film but they just didn't go down smooth. I imagine in the manga, the Hugo plots towards the end are more spaced out but putting those moments virtually back to back (with THAT actor trying to sell the drama) just made it inadvertently comical. The more I think about it, the more I think Hugo was tied to the worst, most damning things in the entire film.

And while i as fine with Ed Skrein's performance, I just can't get behind things that try to tell me that guy is pretty. He was used best in If Beale Street Could Talk, where his asymmetrical, ghoulish features gave proper creepiness to his racist cop.

I'll probably pick up the Blu for dirt cheap in the hopes of liking it more in the future. It's possible I was in a mood but no one I saw it with (wife, best friend, sister in law) enjoyed it much.

But we also thought Salazar was bad and she's getting near unanimous praise so must be the crazy pills.

On a separate note, the wife and I chose Harold and Maude as our annual Valentine's day watch. I absolutely loved it. It's just a perfect romantic comedy, coming of age flick. I believe I even prefer it to the Graduate.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Torgo wrote:
Deadfall (1993) is, for lack of a better word, weird. A movie that exemplifies the '90s strange fascination with sleazy crime thrillers, it features Michael Biehn's con man Joe going down a rabbit hole featuring a pool shark played by Charlie Sheen who mentions Mark Twain for no reason and reminds us that sometimes, "one plus one equals one," Phantasm's Angus Scrimm with a claw for a hand and, well, whatever Nicolas Cage is doing. All of this oddness is effective in making you wonder what the hell Joe has got himself into, but it contrasts so much with Biehn's and James Coburn's relatively straight performances as Joe's uncle and co-conspirator that it makes the movie very tonally inconsistent. It's a sensation not far off from biting into a chocolate bar that you didn't know had chili peppers in it: while chocolate and chili actually go pretty well together, you're going to think about the unexpected ingredient for the rest of the day. The movie ends up being a mildly amusing rumination on the hollowness of the con life, but again, what you'll most likely ruminate on when it's over is "what the hell did I just watch?"

Cage goes so far over the top that I'm willing to forgive the movie's other weaknesses, at least while he's on screen.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Torgo wrote:
Deadfall (1993) is, for lack of a better word, weird. A movie that exemplifies the '90s strange fascination with sleazy crime thrillers, it features Michael Biehn's con man Joe going down a rabbit hole featuring a pool shark played by Charlie Sheen who mentions Mark Twain for no reason and reminds us that sometimes, "one plus one equals one," Phantasm's Angus Scrimm with a claw for a hand and, well, whatever Nicolas Cage is doing.
For anyone who's never seen it, behold one of the Cagiest freakouts ever...

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:53 pm

"The f**king hangers" :D

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Rock wrote:
Cage goes so far over the top that I'm willing to forgive the movie's other weaknesses, at least while he's on screen.

Charlie Sheen (what game were they playing, anyway?) and Angus Scrimm sort of make up for Cage's absence, but there really is no substitute for his brand of strangeness.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:36 pm

Torgo wrote:
Charlie Sheen (what game were they playing, anyway?)

Snooker?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:20 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Snooker?

I thought that too, but there were only two balls in play:

Also, what if Joe had won the game? Would he still have got to do business with Cut Man?
David Lynch's body of work has nothing on Deadfall.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:28 am

Torgo wrote:
I thought that too, but there were only two balls in play

There are a number of variations. I don't know, I'm not an expert. I'm a simple 8 and 9 ball man, myself.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:44 am

Torgo wrote:
I thought that too, but there were only two balls in play:

That looks like they are shooting to determine who breaks (the ball that hits the opposite rail and stops closest to the near rail breaks).

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:05 am

Looks like it's a game called three-cushion billiards. It's hard to believe a movie this goofy wasn't doing a made-up game.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:03 am

Torgo wrote:
Looks like it's a game called three-cushion billiards. It's hard to believe a movie this goofy wasn't doing a made-up game.

Ha! Just watched the scene, turns out we're both right. In the frame posted above, they are "lagging" as I described, but they are lagging for who shoots first in three-cushion billiards.
Also, Charlie Sheen is hysterically bad. At acting, not billiards.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 am

If you haven't seen Hale County This Morning, This Evening, it's streaming for free at https://www.pbs.org/indiefilms/home/. It's good – lovely and thought-provoking. And I noticed he cites Apichatpong Weerasethakul as "Creative Advisor" in the credits.

I Am Not a Witch ▪ You Were Never Really Here ▪ BlacKkKlansman ▪ Green Book ▪ Young Mr. Lincoln ▪ They Shall Not Grow Old ▪ Burning ▪ Magicians ▪ The King and the Clown ▪ Hale County This Morning, This Evening

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462