It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 69264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1384, 1385, 1386  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

Peter Parker/Spider-Man has always been a street hero. It's why he always hung out with Daredevil and a few others. And his villians have always stayed that way. Never been a save the world type of guy. A few of the others have been that.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:16 am
Profile YIM

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was good fun.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Blade Runner 2049 - B- - Not much to it, but stylish as it plods along thanks to Deakins' exemplary work. Zimmer is not Vangelis. A disappointing comedown after the promise of Arrival. Better thought about than experienced. Highlight is the love scene where two women join forces to please a protagonist who seems unmoved by the gesture.

The Post - B+ - Fine modern Spielbergin', probably his fleetest entertainment since Catch Me if You Can, although I've really started to hate how Janusz lenses his films with that extra sheen of silver or overexposure or whatever the hell it is that makes these films look washed-out and unappealing (I took similar issue with the look of Bridge of Spies). Why? To what end? What is added?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 8/10

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:30 am

Coco - A - One of the best movies I've seen this year. Slight and charming at first, but the story develops with such care and attention that by the end I was welling up like I hadn't since... ever in a Pixar, except maybe that one segment of Up, but honestly this flick makes the tears matter more. Triumphant. Fabulous. I want more meaty adjectives for this movie. It's joyful and heartfelt and confident. My favorite Pixar since Nemo.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 pm

DaMU wrote:
Coco - A - One of the best movies I've seen this year. Slight and charming at first, but the story develops with such care and attention that by the end I was welling up like I hadn't since... ever in a Pixar, except maybe that one segment of Up, but honestly this flick makes the tears matter more. Triumphant. Fabulous. I want more meaty adjectives for this movie. It's joyful and heartfelt and confident. My favorite Pixar since Nemo.
That moment when
Coco finally remembered who her father was... be still, my :heart: .

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Stu wrote:
That moment when
Coco finally remembered who her father was... be still, my :heart: .

I was screaming at the TV.
SING THE DAMN SONG! SING "REMEMBER ME," YOU LITTLE BASTARD.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 pm

DaMU wrote:

I was screaming at the TV.
SING THE DAMN SONG! SING "REMEMBER ME," YOU LITTLE BASTARD.
I wonder if it had been as effective if Miguel had performed this song instead:

Probably not, i imagine.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:22 pm

The Florida Project - A-

Reviews are right. Y'all gotta see this. It's low-key beautiful. A great slice-of-life palette cleanser for everyone who's still got the taste of green alien milk on their tongues.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 pm

DaMU wrote:
The Florida Project - A-

Reviews are right. Y'all gotta see this. It's low-key beautiful. A great slice-of-life palette cleanser for everyone who's still got the taste of green alien milk on their tongues.
Also, it opens with a scene of small children calling a woman a "ratchet bitch" and her young grandchild a "thot" after spitting on their car. It's delightful.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 pm

I shrugged at the very ending but liked it a lot otherwise. All the awards for Willem Dafoe, please.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 am

The Newspaperman - 7/10

HBO doc on Ben Bradlee is well timed for this month's The Post. Bradlee is certainly deserving of the treatment, but the film remains very glossy and not particularly critical for this legendary skeptic. It's an adequate introduction. And not to knock the excellent performance by Jason Robards in All The President's Men, but, watching the real Bradlee, I can't help shake the impression that he has far more of a resemblence to William Holden in the same year's Network.

Mojave - 5/10

Completely unexceptional thriller that wastes the talent of Oscar Isaac, almost as badly as Poe Dameron does. Garrett Hedlund has never impressed me as an actor, so no surprises there. Writer William Monahan has really taken a dive since his Departed days, and regardless just may not be much of a director on his own.

Mississippi Grind - 7/10

Lightweight attempt, but inoffensively passes the time. Ben Mendelsohn raises above the script's requirements, as only one of the finest character actors of our day can. Ryan Reynolds, alas, remains Ryan Reynolds. I suppose his character is Ryan Reynolds. Well below the standard of something like Robert Altman's California Split, although the opening scene at a poker game does flirt with homage using some overlapping dialogue and a multilevel zoom shot. That's about the extent of the film's visual imagination.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Rock wrote:
I shrugged at the very ending but liked it a lot otherwise. All the awards for Willem Dafoe, please.

I wasn't 100 on the ending either. But that's okay.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Months ago I started on a mission to watch every Spielberg film starting with Night Gallery. Made it through to Private Ryan and took a break, but started it up again this weekend. (For some context, Spiels has made some of my favorite movies but for the most part his sensibilities are at odds with mine and he bugs me more often than not. One of my last posts at RT was about how much better Duel was than ET)

Continuing my Spielberg project:

Minority Report: I like the premise of the story, and am intrigued by the dilemma it presents (can we charge people for crimes they haven't yet committed?) I think it's got some relevance in our current society, as it called to mind certain "thought crimes" like the Cannibal Cop incident, or if someone Googles "pipe bomb" does that mean they're going to build one, etc. I was less interested in the action element than Spielberg evidently was. I would've preferred more discussion of the premise as opposed to watching Cruise chase his eyeballs as they rolled through the corridor. Also, Steve and Janusz did that washed-out color thing which kind of makes sense this time, I guess, since it's the future (?) but I'm not really a fan of it. The film makes me want to read the PK Dick story, but I don't see myself revisiting the movie.

The Terminal: Oh boy. I'd rank this one second to Always on my "Here's why Spielberg bugs me" list.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:46 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I saw the movie in the theater and quite enjoyed it, but I've also never felt the desire to revisit it.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:59 am

Also just wanna pop in and recommend The Shape of Water to everyone, especially if you're a Guillermo fanboy/girl like myself. That's all I'll say for now, as I intend to spend the rest of my night reading interviews and articles about it.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:21 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Also just wanna pop in and recommend The Shape of Water to everyone, especially if you're a Guillermo fanboy/girl like myself. That's all I'll say for now, as I intend to spend the rest of my night reading interviews and articles about it.

It's very good.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 am

I got to see it during TIFF in the same theatre as one in the movie, which was pretty cool.

Liked the movie a lot, possibly my favourite Del Toro.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I saw this yesterday. I really liked how dream-like the film felt - you could tell that Guillermo del Toro was quite confident in his vision through the execution of each scene.

What was your favorite performance in the film? Sally Hawkins is an obvious standout but I also liked Richard Jenkins a lot in the film. Michael Shannon was also great as expected.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Michael Shannon for me. There are some strong performances in the film (Hawkins obviously, but also Jenkins, Spencer and Stuhlbarg), but Shannon just dominates the screen anytime he's on, and I like they made him somewhat nuanced without mitigating his hatefulness.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:22 pm

They all stood out, even Octavia Spencer in what could've been a very thankless role. GDT takes the time to give every supporting character a meaningful motivation and self-contained story within the context of the main story. Hawkins is my pick for the best work in the film, and I'd be very, very happy if she won Best Actress.

Shannon is incredible though, as Rock notes, there's just enough dimension to his character to contextualize his fundamental terribleness. My favorite element was
how he kept acting like his fingers were no big deal. He's so intent on having this idealized perfect life with nothing out of place that he'll keep those fingers attached till they're pussing blue so long as it means he doesn't live life "less than" as a cripple.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Has anyone seen Call Me By Your Name?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:07 pm

No.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Not yet. But I have seen Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed. It's a funny world we live in.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:19 pm

it is good

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:01 am
Profile WWW

DaMU wrote:
The Florida Project - A-

That mother was simply awful, I kept wondering how do you get to adulthood by constantly acting like a bratty kid.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 am

The Darkest Hour *** 1/2 out of ****

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:32 am

I honestly cant tell which users are which and who's real or who's not.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:36 am
Profile YIM

I'm not real. Are you?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:12 am

"How do you define real?"

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 am

i;m reel

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:58 am
Profile WWW

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:02 am

The Last Face - 5/10

"I've got an idea. Let's say Sean Penn were to make a film about Africa. It's a comedy - not really but hear me out. What if! Sean Penn in Africa with his insecurely sanctimonious camera squeezed into the faces of starving people like some kind of late night Christian charity commercial. Now imagine if Sean Penn (heh) is somehow convinced he can make a better Terrence Malick film than Terry himself, but with an Edward Zwick-esque script. It's already prety funny because Penn must be popping out of his fair-trade britches. Ok, bear with me, let's say that this film about Africa is actually about white people, but good white people, like doctors and shit, saviors if you will. (We'll try to appropriate some Louise Linton if we get a chance - shhh.) Alright, for the capper, we'll make our female hero of the dark continent a blonde Afrikaner with daddy issues. Ok, don't laugh. Especially around Sean, because he's really into it. Maybe we can even get him to have a bunch of African kids sing Cat Stevens or something. Remember this is a love story (*tongue-bite*), between one woman.....and one man. Do you think we can get Sean to say it like that? Maybe a purposeful intertitles? On opposite sides of the screen, to show the distance between them? Man, this is going to be hilarious, guys. Oh! Fuck yeah! I bet we can talk Penn into entering this brakeless crash at Cannes. For the Palm! Holy balls, will this be beautiful."

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:39 am

Jinnistan wrote:
The Last Face - 5/10
Sean Penn actually went out and made U2: The Movie. Existence is a troll

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:53 am

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:54 am

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:27 am

Joss Whedon wrote:
That mother was simply awful, I kept wondering how do you get to adulthood by constantly acting like a bratty kid.

Simply awful but also empathetic. I can completely understand how a woman grows up to be like that, because that's clearly the path her daughter is on.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 am

Ace wrote:
I honestly cant tell which users are which and who's real or who's not.
I don't know about you, but I'm real, I'm real, I'm really real...

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:21 pm

DaMU wrote:

I also saw this recently. I found the big reveal to be rather obvious, but the scene that Stu mentioned also almost got me. Solid film.

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 am

Die Hard (1988) It's officially Christmas! Grade: A+

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:21 am
Post Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Johnson, '17)

Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to; that's the only way to become what you're meant to be.

To say that expectations were space-high for Star Wars: The Last Jedi would be putting it mildly; as the 2nd episode of the new trilogy, everyone seemed to wonder, would director Rion Johnson continue with the fun but fundamentally play-it-safe nature of Force Awakens that was oh-so JJ, and be content to just trace over the outline of the ultimate trilogy middle chapters of all trilogy middle chapters, The Empire Strikes Back, and doom this particular trilogy to never truly outgrowing the original's iconic shadow, or would Johnson try for something more challenging, more daring, like Empire did back in its day? Well, while Last Jedi will inevitably draw comparisons to its equivalent in the OT (granted, sometimes to its detriment), I'm happy to say that, like its new generation of heroes and villains, it finds a way to honor and respect what its legendary predecessors created, while also forging more of its own path forward.

The Last Jedi follows parallel story threads, with the forces of The First Order launching an initially devastating assault on the vulnerable New Republic, and then pursuing the surviving forces for the rest of the film, a plot that's intercut with a young Jedi apprentice training with an old, sometimes-reluctant teacher in the mysterious, sometimes-frightening ways of The Force, just like in, well, Empire. However, Jedi distinguishes itself both from the often derivative elements of Force Awakens by telling a more subversive, surprising story, less reliant on pure nostalgia, as well as distinguishing itself from the overall Star Wars saga through its greater sense of moral ambiguity, especially through its demythologization of the last Jedi himself, Luke Skywalker.

When Rey (and we) first see him, Luke is a weary, grey-bearded, grizzled old man, living as a hermit near an ancient Jedi temple in the middle of space-nowhere, his only company being the local wildlife, and the aliens who look like a cross between a nun and giant toads that maintain the ancient structures there. He is a far cry from the beaming, triumphant hero we last saw onscreen 34 years ago, and when Rey finally hands him the lightsaber that belonged to his father, in the hopes of being trained as the first of a new generation of Jedi, Luke immediately throws it away like its yesterday's garbage, and tells her to leave his island immediately. And, while such reluctance is somewhat to be expected, as it would be narratively dull if Luke just immediately acquiesced to every one of Rey's wishes (and Yoda behaved similarly when he first met Luke in Empire), what I didn't expect was just how defeated and downtrodden Luke turned out here, as, even after he agrees to teach Rey, he only does it to try to show her why the Jedi must die as a way of life, which, combined with rather disturbing revelation that arises from his past here, really surprised (and pleased) me, just how dark Rion was willing to go with his arc.

It's a daring spin on a classic, iconic hero, one that seems to be splitting the Star Wars fanbase so far, but one that I appreciate for its unwillingness to coddle us as viewers, and let us not forget, Empire itself received a mixed reception from both fans critics upon its initial release, and now almost everyone agrees that it's the greatest Star Wars, so let's just wait and see the verdict that film history ends up passing on TLJ, shall we? Anyway, besides that, Rion Johnson continues the trend of Force Awakens in making The Force itself a more mysterious and ethereal, well, force, than the disappointingly literal treatment Lucas gave it in the Prequels, through a series of intriguing psychic conversations that occur between two certain characters here, as well as actually making The Force seem more accessible to the random "nobodies" of the galaxy, as you'll see, and that's all the detail I'll go into on those points, lest I spoil the film even further for you.

And, outside of the Force-related shenanigans here, the film's other main plot thread of the scant remnants of The New Republic in constant pursuit by The New Order, their numbers steadily dwindling as the film goes on, is, for the most part, tense, desperate, and above all exciting, with some of the better scenes of combat seen in any Star Wars to date, with a certain subplot involving a new, seemingly cowardly Rebel Admiral taking an unexpected turn, further reenforcing the film's overall ambiguity when it comes to its various characterizations. I mean, don't get me wrong or anything, as The Last Jedi is hardly a perfect film; it's overlong by at least 15 minutes, with one too many climactic battles, some of its comedic relief moments feel a bit forced and unnecessary, and its story doesn't always unfold as smoothly, as it should've, with a particular side-story during the middle act that could've easily been altered, or better yet, erased from the film entirely. However, all that being said, this still a very rousing, borderline mythic piece of pop-storytelling, a vital new continuation of what is surely the defining film series of all time, and a work that leaves me more hopeful than ever before for the future of these films; may The Force be with it, indeed.
Favorite Moment:
Luke facing down The First Order
Final Score: 8.25

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 am

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8/10

Catch this at the theaters before it's too late. This film was well-acted (give Frances McDormand an Oscar, damn it!), delightfully witty, and it concluded in a completely different way than I expected upon going into it as numerous scenes came as a surprise.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 am

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) I suppose I'm still digesting it, but I can say I slightly fell victim to the expectation/hype virus. Although I didn't read any spoiler per se, I did read countless of headlines talking about the "risks" that director Rian Johnson had taken in this new episode, and how "bold" some of the choices were. I guess that had me expecting a big twist or a big revelation at some point, which never came. Sure, the film has some interesting plot twists, but not more than other installments in the franchise.

Regardless of that, I think the film was pretty good, mostly because of the great performances almost every actor gives. Special kudos to Mark Hamill, who gives what could be the best performance that he has given as Luke Skywalker so far, and Adam Driver, who manages to instill a wide variety of emotions (anger, vulnerability, loneliness) in his Kylo Ren. The action scenes were neatly directed and choreographed, and the dialogue and script had a nice balance of humor and drama. I might write more later, but as it is now, it probably stands at a low A-.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Thief wrote:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) I suppose I'm still digesting it, but I can say I slightly fell victim to the expectation/hype virus. Although I didn't read any spoiler per se, I did read countless of headlines talking about the "risks" that director Rian Johnson had taken in this new episode, and how "bold" some of the choices were. I guess that had me expecting a big twist or a big revelation at some point, which never came. Sure, the film has some interesting plot twists, but not more than other installments in the franchise.
Well, I feel the biggest risk TLJ took was the moral ambiguity it gave to its various characterizations, especially when it came to
Luke; I mean, he refuses to train Rey for so long, then when he does so, he's only doing it to dissuade her from wanting to become a Jedi, then he admits that he considered killing his own nephew because he was afraid of him turning to the other side; shit's pretty dark, yo. And then at the final climax of the film, he faces down the entire First Order without even really facing them down for real... I loved it!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 am

Stu wrote:
Well, I feel the biggest risk TLJ took was the moral ambiguity it gave to its various characterizations, especially when it came to
Luke; I mean, he refuses to train Rey for so long, then when he does so, he's only doing it to dissuade her from wanting to become a Jedi, then he admits that he considered killing his own nephew because he was afraid of him turning to the other side; shit's pretty dark, yo. And then at the final climax of the film, he faces down the entire First Order without even really facing them down for real... I loved it!

And I loved that as well. But I guess that, because of all the headlines I had read, I was expecting more of a twist in terms of

someone dying/turning/betraying, etc.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 am

Thief wrote:

And I loved that as well. But I guess that, because of all the headlines I had read, I was expecting more of a twist in terms of someone dying/turning/betraying, etc.
Well, while nothing in it was as shocking as "No, I am your father!", TLJ on the whole was still a step away from the slavish, derivative nostalgia that defined Force Awakens, so that's nothing but a welcome thing for this new trilogy and for the new SW films in general, as far as I'm concerned.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 am

Stu wrote:
Well, while nothing in it was as shocking as "No, I am your father!", TLJ on the whole was still a step away from the slavish, derivative nostalgia that defined Force Awakens, so that's nothing but a welcome thing for this new trilogy and for the new SW films in general, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. But I do think it echoes/mirrors ANH/ESB more than people are giving it credit for. I mean...

...once again we have a young Jedi-wannabe (Luke/Rey) trying to convince a reluctant master (Yoda/Luke) to train him/her. Meanwhile, the rebellion is being chased around the galaxy by the Empire/First Order. The young Jedi abandons his/her training to help his/her friends, who have been betrayed by someone (Lando/DJ) while he/she ends up being attracted/seduced to the Dark Side by someone with whom he/she is somehow connected (Darth Vader/Kylo Ren), who in turn ends up killing his master (Emperor/Supreme Leader).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of the film, and the echoes are subtler than they were in TFA, but they are there.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 am

The Last Jedi somehow made me nostalgic for the prequel trilogy, which at least had a spark of creativity and originality to it. Disney ruins everything.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm not going to defend the bad parts of that trilogy but I kinda sorta somewhat maybe agree. unless there's a speck of nostalgia in there muddling my thoughts. or at least I can appreciate the new ideas that Lucas was working with even if the shit execution never did them justice.

also (and I probably said this before) there were a lot more interesting designs in those movies i.e. the planets, spaceships, costumes, aliens, etc. even if they were under-served by sterile CGI and cluttered mise en scene. at the very least those movies had cooler looking toys if that makes sense (and if that matters at all). maybe that's something I miss about these new movies (and maybe one of the big things about Star Wars that appealed to me), the novelty of heading into new, bizarre, fully-realized worlds with a glaze of pop-culture pastiche so that it still feels familiar. the mythology gives it a weight but maybe that's secondary?

but whatev, as long as the kids like 'em.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Watched There Will Be Blood for the first time on Wednesday. Can't quite settle on a score due to how fragmented and laggy my viewing experience was (Amazon Prime kept having loading errors and sometimes had to buffer every few seconds) but I can definitely say that the last hour and a half is genuine masterpiece material, Day-Lewis and Dano were excellent, and that I loved the cinematography and music.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1384, 1385, 1386  Next