It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 72093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1409, 1410, 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414, 1415 ... 1442  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:

I feel like the very beginning (with the
unexpected killing of the woman in the parking garage
)and the very end of the movie (with the reveal about
the nature of the child in the car
are A+, expectation-busting sequences. But the middle is just a slog of nastiness and "will they won't they" sexual assault tension and violence. I admired the first and last five minutes but the middle was uninteresting to me and I've never had a desire to rewatch it.

It certainly takes a far back seat to, for example, Erik the Conqueror.

Yeah, that's a rough one.

I think Rabid Dogs is the type of film that lives and dies by it's payoff. It set up well and the real time approach gave it a great deal of tension (few Italian actors play a crazed goon as well as George Eastman) but it all would have been a tedious exercise with a botched ending. I liked that it felt like a banal car ride that would randomly become tense and violent.

Replaying those scenes with the ending in mind made the whole thing work for me.

Fruitvale Station is a very good movie but they went too melodramatic too often. There were so many small moments that really resonated but than others that felt utterly fabricated and in the realm of "I'm a cop one day away from retirement"

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I think Rabid Dogs is the type of film that lives and dies by it's payoff. It set up well and the real time approach gave it a great deal of tension (few Italian actors play a crazed goon as well as George Eastman) but it all would have been a tedious exercise with a botched ending. I liked that it felt like a banal car ride that would randomly become tense and violent.

Replaying those scenes with the ending in mind made the whole thing work for me.

The payoff of Rabid Dogs is interesting, but it did not justify what came before it, which I found both unpleasant and boring. The movie wants to be both "real" (in terms of the banal car ride with potential for violence you describe), but also have these over-the-top elements, such as in the performances. A "realistic" style and an outlandish, complicated plot feel like someone wanting to have things both ways. I guess it was worth seeing once for a handful of memorable moments, but I can't imagine sitting through it again.

Unrelated, Universal Soldier was a lot of fun and perfect late Friday night viewing. I think that its self-awareness lets it skate by on what is basically a re-recycled plot, and I was surprised at how many times I laughed ("Women just don't know how to use phones!" or "I figured you had to be French or something because of your accent?" "What accent?"). I really liked Ally Walker as the wise-cracking reporter, and the decision to have the two stars playing emotionless cyborgs or whatever goes a long way to mitigate any acting issues (though I love the expression on Van Damme's face when he sits down on the water bed).

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Fruitvale Station is a very good movie but they went too melodramatic too often. There were so many small moments that really resonated but than others that felt utterly fabricated and in the realm of "I'm a cop one day away from retirement"

Making me cry is not much of an accomplishment. I teared up during Spider Baby for heaven's sake. But I agree with you about the "felt fabricated" part. I was skeptical enough of his saintly behavior to google it afterward, and learned that a lot of it was fictional. That's one reason I generally prefer documentaries to dramatizations, but ultimately I didn't care in this case. Maybe Grant wasn't the model citizen depicted here, but the next guy that gets shot might be (and there will be a next guy), so I think it wouldn't hurt for cops, or just angry white guys watching the news, to remember that. I'm not disagreeing with you, just offering my take-away from the film.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

The payoff of Rabid Dogs is interesting, but it did not justify what came before it, which I found both unpleasant and boring. The movie wants to be both "real" (in terms of the banal car ride with potential for violence you describe), but also have these over-the-top elements, such as in the performances. A "realistic" style and an outlandish, complicated plot feel like someone wanting to have things both ways. I guess it was worth seeing once for a handful of memorable moments, but I can't imagine sitting through it again.

Unrelated, Universal Soldier was a lot of fun and perfect late Friday night viewing. I think that its self-awareness lets it skate by on what is basically a re-recycled plot, and I was surprised at how many times I laughed ("Women just don't know how to use phones!" or "I figured you had to be French or something because of your accent?" "What accent?"). I really liked Ally Walker as the wise-cracking reporter, and the decision to have the two stars playing emotionless cyborgs or whatever goes a long way to mitigate any acting issues (though I love the expression on Van Damme's face when he sits down on the water bed).

I can imagine watching it again just to see the new dynamic after the ending. I'm also curious about the Lamberto Bava cut called Kidnapped. It had a much more dynamic score from what I saw.

You need to see the DTV Universal Soldier sequels by John Hyams. They're shockingly good.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:36 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Making me cry is not much of an accomplishment. I teared up during Spider Baby for heaven's sake. But I agree with you about the "felt fabricated" part. I was skeptical enough of his saintly behavior to google it afterward, and learned that a lot of it was fictional. That's one reason I generally prefer documentaries to dramatizations, but ultimately I didn't care in this case. Maybe Grant wasn't the model citizen depicted here, but the next guy that gets shot might be (and there will be a next guy), so I think it wouldn't hurt for cops, or just angry white guys watching the news, to remember that. I'm not disagreeing with you, just offering my take-away from the film.

I think this all could have been done just by humanizing him, which they did a GREAT job of. But the stuff with the dog and the ocean was just too on the nose. I'm still a big fan of the film but it just slightly misses the mark of true greatness.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
You need to see the DTV Universal Soldier sequels by John Hyams. They're shockingly good.

I've heard really good things about the sequels, which is partly why I checked out the original.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:02 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I've heard really good things about the sequels, which is partly why I checked out the original.

I was shocked by how good they turned out. Hyams did more with a tiny budget than Hollywood tends to do with 200 million. Regeneration is a straight forward action flick and the best of what one could expect from the franchise. Day of Reckoning is a weird experimental film that pulls from Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, the films of Refn and Noe and seems to use the franchise as a mere backdrop to get funding. Its weird but it may be the actual best but it doesn't feel at all like US.

Both are complete with well choreographed and blocked action and each have a very impressive long take.

They're pure genre stuff and aren't quite as polished as they could be but they stand tall above pretty much all the other DTV films I've ever seen.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:58 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I can imagine watching it again just to see the new dynamic after the ending. I'm also curious about the Lamberto Bava cut called Kidnapped. It had a much more dynamic score from what I saw.

See, when I watched Rabid Dogs I kept being bothered by the way that the
"father" was handling the whole thing with the child in the car. Putting the kid out of the car would clearly be for the best. The explanation of the child being "sick" which caused unconsciousness made like zero sense to me. Very early on I'd suspected that either the father was in the process of killing the child or else maybe kidnapping it from its mother. It never occurred to me that the "father" was unrelated, but I ultimately decided that my theories didn't necessarily make sense and so then I kept being like "maybe this is a culture gap" or just chalking it up to screenwriting wanting to keep the kid in the car but maybe not wanting to engage with the nastiness level of having a child be awake while a woman is being molested in the next seat over.

So when there was the reveal at the end, it just explained all the weirdness that I'd already noticed. And because I'd already been kind of tuned into that element, it was a surprise but it didn't necessarily put a whole different spin on things.

I don't know how much more I would get out of a second viewing.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 am

Takoma1 wrote:

See, when I watched Rabid Dogs I kept being bothered by the way that the
"father" was handling the whole thing with the child in the car. Putting the kid out of the car would clearly be for the best. The explanation of the child being "sick" which caused unconsciousness made like zero sense to me. Very early on I'd suspected that either the father was in the process of killing the child or else maybe kidnapping it from its mother. It never occurred to me that the "father" was unrelated, but I ultimately decided that my theories didn't necessarily make sense and so then I kept being like "maybe this is a culture gap" or just chalking it up to screenwriting wanting to keep the kid in the car but maybe not wanting to engage with the nastiness level of having a child be awake while a woman is being molested in the next seat over.

So when there was the reveal at the end, it just explained all the weirdness that I'd already noticed. And because I'd already been kind of tuned into that element, it was a surprise but it didn't necessarily put a whole different spin on things.

I don't know how much more I would get out of a second viewing.

I'm going to defer to my post about Shutter Island. Even though I figured out what was going and had my suspicions throughout, until you "know," you aren't perceiving the events in the same light. When I rewatched it, I was blown away by the intricacies of the film and how many things meant something different. Sure, I could think back on some of them but not all of them. It is a different experience. Same with Get Out.

While Rabid Dogs may not operate in the same way, as it's much more simplistic, I think there are almost certainly things that didn't draw attention that would play out differently.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:46 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
While Rabid Dogs may not operate in the same way, as it's much more simplistic, I think there are almost certainly things that didn't draw attention that would play out differently.

I know what you mean, and I agree that rewatching the film knowing the
"father's" endgame
would certainly change the perception of many scenes, I'm just not sure if I'm interested in what that difference would do to the narrative. My issues with the sexual violence and the slower stretches would still be there, and I don't think that the different perspective on the one character is worth sitting through that again.

Rabid Dogs was remade a few years ago by a French filmmaker (spoiler alert: it's awful!), and I ended up watching it one late weekend night. So I was watching the story knowing the end ahead of time and . . . eh. At least in the remake there were a few "ah-ha" moments, but nothing that profound. And I feel like that's how I'd feel rewatching the original.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 am

Anyone seen Hereditary yet? I thought the initial trailer looked kind of great, but I haven't had a chance to get to the theater.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm imagining Hereditary is pretty good considering it's coming out from A24. The last horror film they released was The Witch. I'm hoping this will be just as unconventional.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I know what you mean, and I agree that rewatching the film knowing the
"father's" endgame
would certainly change the perception of many scenes, I'm just not sure if I'm interested in what that difference would do to the narrative. My issues with the sexual violence and the slower stretches would still be there, and I don't think that the different perspective on the one character is worth sitting through that again.

Rabid Dogs was remade a few years ago by a French filmmaker (spoiler alert: it's awful!), and I ended up watching it one late weekend night. So I was watching the story knowing the end ahead of time and . . . eh. At least in the remake there were a few "ah-ha" moments, but nothing that profound. And I feel like that's how I'd feel rewatching the original.

I wasn't as bothered by the slow stretches or sexual violence as you were so I could see a rewatch being less rewarding for you. I was simply impressed by the film's industriousness, due to it being disastrously low budget (Bava had to fire the cinematographer due to inability to pay him and take over that duty as well) and that Bava was, even at the end of his career, jumping into a new genre and giving it his own spin. I think in the realm of other poliziotteschi, it stands above a great deal of those that focus on the criminals, like Young Violent and Dangerous and Naked Violence.

I'll take your word on that one. I was curious about the remake but it didn't seem to have much of a reputation.

On another note:

9 to 5 is much better than I expected and outclasses the great majority of current all women led comedies both in subtext and humor. The first half is much better than the back half but it never betrayed it's goals and I applaud that.

The Blue Dahlia was solid noir goodness. Pure Chandler and I actually like the ending, which I now see is a point of contention. Ladd does much better in the solemn hard boiled lead role than most and I look forward to watching the Glass Key next.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm

ski petrol wrote:
I'm imagining Hereditary is pretty good considering it's coming out from A24. The last horror film they released was The Witch. I'm hoping this will be just as unconventional.

They've released several since The Witch: The Monster, Green Room, It Comes at Night and The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Big fan of their stuff. Whoever is picking their scripts needs a raise.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 pm

The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I got to get to that one already. Such a big Yorgos Lanthimos fan.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I was shocked by how good they turned out. Hyams did more with a tiny budget than Hollywood tends to do with 200 million. Regeneration is a straight forward action flick and the best of what one could expect from the franchise. Day of Reckoning is a weird experimental film that pulls from Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, the films of Refn and Noe and seems to use the franchise as a mere backdrop to get funding. Its weird but it may be the actual best but it doesn't feel at all like US.

Both are complete with well choreographed and blocked action and each have a very impressive long take.

They're pure genre stuff and aren't quite as polished as they could be but they stand tall above pretty much all the other DTV films I've ever seen.

I haven't seen Regeneration, but I agree about Day of Reckoning. Really cool fights, with some interesting visuals.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Do I need to watch the original Universal Soldier to watch these sequels?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 am

Wooley wrote:

I've only seen two films from the franchise; the original, which I saw decades ago, and this Day of Reckoning one. I don't think there's a lot of deep connection between them, but I suppose a knowledge of the premise is enough to understand what's going on. Day of Reckoning does turn the tables a bit on what the original presented, but I'll leave it at that.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 am

Ocean's 8 (2018) - directed by Gary Ross

I'm not familiar with Ross' stuff except for Pleasantville, which is a wonderful film. I'm a fan of Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 13, so between those three films I had a lot of expectations for Ross to succeed with this and although it's stylish, Ocean's 8 falls a little flat.

And really, there is only one problem with the film. The casting, acting, set design and especially costumes are excellent. Where this film falters is the screenplay. The plot makes sense (mostly) but the dialogue is severely lacking a lot of the fun, cool and cleverness of the other Ocean films. The soundtrack was good, but compared to something like a Tarantino movie where the music is "appropriate", some of it seems shoehorned in here to add to the "coolness" factor.

The big twist at the end (that they stole an entire set of crown jewels while distracting people with the diamond necklace) was pretty good. Also finding out that Anne Hathaway had joined the crew.

Sandra Bullock - who looks like she hasn't aged since Demolition Man - is a satisfactory replacement for George Clooney. The other ladies do a good job, but obviously the focus is on Sandra and Cate Blanchett. And it's Cate who steals the movie. Beautiful, classy, cool... the perfect replacement for Brad Pitt. James Corden has an amusing role as an insurance investigator.

And even though Ocean's 8 lacks the gusto of Ocean's 11 & 13, I'd still love to see a sequel and it's something that could certainly happen.

I was a little disappointed that they (seemingly) killed off Danny Ocean's character. Aside from his name, the connections to the other films were a cameo by Reuben (Elliott Gould) and a short (pardon the pun) sequence with Yen (Shaobo Qin).

7/10

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 am

Brief Encounter - 1945, David Lean - Yeah, pretty great. More thoughts later, maybe, but very quickly. Convincing, soulful performances from the leads. Premise will come off as cheesy for some but struck me with its sincerity about the clash between stifling middle-class properness and the deeper desires of the heart. Lean keeps the style low when needed and elevates only a few times, which makes their breaks from the middle-wide static camera more striking. Dutch angle here, overlapping montage there. Good good good. Motivated!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 am

Wooley wrote:

You just need to watch the original, period.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I've never seen any Universal Soldier (not even the original, or the supposedly crappy one with Bill Goldberg, even though the WCW promoted the crap out of it during their shows back in the day), but the one-and-only Tom Breihan picked Regeneration as his favorite Action movie of 2009, so that alone might be enough to make me check it out someday...

:oops:

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:40 am

Stu wrote:
I've never seen any Universal Soldier (not even the original, or the supposedly crappy one with Bill Goldberg, even though the WCW promoted the crap out of it during their shows back in the day), but the one-and-only Tom Breihan picked Regeneration as his favorite Action movie of 2009, so that alone might be enough to make me check it out someday...

:oops:

One of the sequels got a really positive write up somewhere (I forget if it was the AVClub or Entertainment Weekly) and the writer recommended running the whole series.

Obviously I can only speak for the original (which I thought was really fun if not really good), but generally I've only heard good stuff about the sequels.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 am

Takoma1 wrote:

You just need to watch the original, period.

Really? I've always avoided it as just some silly 90s action-movie that would have been more at home in the 80s. Am I so far off?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

One of the sequels got a really positive write up somewhere (I forget if it was the AVClub or Entertainment Weekly) and the writer recommended running the whole series.

Obviously I can only speak for the original (which I thought was really fun if not really good), but generally I've only heard good stuff about the sequels.

All except Universal Soldier the Return. I also think there were DTV sequels that predate it but I only count those with JCVD. The Return has a silly plot with a robot trying to be put into Michael Jai White and just feels like a crappy, generic late 90s action flick. The others with JCVD have panache!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Wooley wrote:
Really? I've always avoided it as just some silly 90s action-movie that would have been more at home in the 80s. Am I so far off?

Nope. It's very silly. But I also thought it was a lot of fun and much more genuinely funny than I expected.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I usually like to sit down and give movies my undivided attention but today I watched three Netflix movies while doing something that I knew was going to take a few hours. I chose three that I felt I didn't necessarily need to follow closely.

Tremors: A Cold Day In Hell - 6/10 - This is the sixth entry in the series and each one has starred Michael Gross as Bert Gummer, survivalist/big game hunter/gun fetishist. The effects were surprisingly solid with at least a modicum of effort on display when it came to the actual plot. Jamie Kennedy returns after popping up in the last one set in South Africa. I was going to say that the man has not aged well at all but he's 47 so...yeah, he still looks pretty rough. This one is supposedly set in Northern Canada but I guess the budget wasn't amenable so they made up some malarkey about there being a "heat wave" to cover the fact that they also shot this in South Africa.

Beyond Skyline - 7/10 - It's better than the original Skyline but that isn't saying much. But it's got Frank Grillo in it and two of the stars from The Raid: Redemption. And yes, the aliens were literally shown delivering round house kicks during their fight scenes. The CGI is actually quite passable as well.

The Polka King - 6/10 - Jack Black, Jenny Slate and Jason Schwartzman in a based-on-a-true-story entry about a Polish immigrant who concocts a Ponzi scheme and bilks a bunch of senior citizens out of millions. If you lean towards liking Jack Black then this is the movie for you.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I usually like to sit down and give movies my undivided attention but today I watched three Netflix movies while doing something that I knew was going to take a few hours. I chose three that I felt I didn't necessarily need to follow closely.

Tremors: A Cold Day In Hell - 6/10 - This is the sixth entry in the series and each one has starred Michael Gross as Bert Gummer, survivalist/big game hunter/gun fetishist. The effects were surprisingly solid with at least a modicum of effort on display when it came to the actual plot. Jamie Kennedy returns after popping up in the last one set in South Africa. I was going to say that the man has not aged well at all but he's 47 so...yeah, he still looks pretty rough. This one is supposedly set in Northern Canada but I guess the budget wasn't amenable so they made up some malarkey about there being a "heat wave" to cover the fact that they also shot this in South Africa.

Beyond Skyline - 7/10 - It's better than the original Skyline but that isn't saying much. But it's got Frank Grillo in it and two of the stars from The Raid: Redemption. And yes, the aliens were literally shown delivering round house kicks during their fight scenes. The CGI is actually quite passable as well.

The Polka King - 6/10 - Jack Black, Jenny Slate and Jason Schwartzman in a based-on-a-true-story entry about a Polish immigrant who concocts a Ponzi scheme and bilks a bunch of senior citizens out of millions. If you lean towards liking Jack Black then this is the movie for you.

I'm a mild champion of Beyond Skyline. It's the type of B pulp I wish existed in droves but most is more similar to the lazy, abysmal original Skyline. This one knew to keep it simple, keep it action packed and give the audience what they want: the Raid guys fighting big aliens with bladed weapons.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

Nope. It's very silly. But I also thought it was a lot of fun and much more genuinely funny than I expected.

Hmmm... I will contemplate this but, as a general rule I do not have nostalgia for late-80s action movies, I was more of an early 80s/gritty action kind of guy, and I thought the 90s mostly sucked, so I still have some reservations.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Wooley wrote:
Hmmm... I will contemplate this but, as a general rule I do not have nostalgia for late-80s action movies, I was more of an early 80s/gritty action kind of guy, and I thought the 90s mostly sucked, so I still have some reservations.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on all this JCVD talk. Sounds like a trap. :)

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Yeah, I'm calling BS on all this JCVD talk. Sounds like a trap. :)

It's quiet. It's... TOO quiet.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 pm

I've lived a carefree life, confident in the assumption that it was safe to avoid direct-to-video Van Damme movies. You people are killing me. I haven't even seen Die Hard yet!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Wooley wrote:

I think Universal Soldier is considered to be one of Van Damme's "best" films. Take from that what you may.

Also, I don't wanna oversell the recent DTV sequels (at least the one I saw). It's not groundbreaking and it's not flawless, but rather a surprisingly decent and enjoyable action film.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I've lived a carefree life, confident in the assumption that it was safe to avoid direct-to-video Van Damme movies. You people are killing me. I haven't even seen Die Hard yet!

Die Hard is a must. It's a crime that you haven't seen it. If not the best action film ever, one of the best, and certainly groundbreaking and necessary for any cinephile.

As for Van Damme, ehhh, I wouldn't put money on any of his films; feature or DTV. That said, several recent films of his have been surprisingly decent: JCVD, The Expendables 2, and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Thief wrote:

Die Hard is a must. It's a crime that you haven't seen it. If not the best action film ever, one of the best, and certainly groundbreaking and necessary for any cinephile.

As for Van Damme, ehhh, I wouldn't put money on any of his films; feature or DTV. That said, several recent films of his have been surprisingly decent: JCVD, The Expendables 2, and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Surely you must have seen Timecop?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 am

Thief wrote:
Die Hard is a must. It's a crime that you haven't seen it.

Yeah, I get that a lot. Thanks! :P

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 am

I need to check out Day of Reckoning. And any discussion about JCVD's best should probably include Sudden Death.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 am

Death Proof wrote:

Surely you must have seen Timecop?

Timecop is probably the best from his heyday, but I was more talking about "recent" films of his.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 am

American Made - 7.5/10

Given the fascinating subject matter - the true-life story of Barry Seal, a CIA-contracted surveilllance pilot who begins running cash and drugs for Colombian cartels - much of the enjoyment of the film is already baked in the cake. Doug Limon is a profeessional, but unimaginative, director who capably keeps the plot and action tight. A bit too tight maybe. Films like these, with quick montages of events to keep the ball rolling, remind me how Goodfellas has had a less positive influence in many ways. More than that, this film reminded me of Blow, similar in being a true-life tale of a rather skeevy individual who's instead turned into a rock star with the all of the flashy cinematic accoutrements Hollywood can provide.

(Not Tom Cruise, btw.)

The film takes a load of liberties shifting timelines and fabricating characters at will, and a nearly libelous implication of Governor Clinton at one point (based on many conspiracy theories, none ever corroborated). I'm always a little sketchy on these kinds of "true story!" films that play fast and loose with the facts, as, no doubt, this film will likely be more informative to many people's understanding of Iran-Contra than actual books and stuff. But's it's enjoyable enough pulp fluff.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 am

Wooley wrote:

It's a goofy knock-off of Robocop and a bit of The Terminator.

But it operates on the thin line between action movie and parody of action movie. At one point a character turns around wearing a necklace of severed ears and declares "I'm all ears!". At another point Ally Walker says to JCVD "I figured you were french or something because of your accent" and he deadpans "What accent?".

For an action movie it has a ridiculously high success rate with its humor, it's well-paced, and the action is just fine. I think it's comparable to something like The Prophecy (the archangel one, not the killer bear one), if that helps.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 am

I quite enjoyed Erik the Viking, though I had to rewatch the ending because a bad headache made me get a tad loopy so I feel I still owe the film a proper watch.

The colors and visual ingenuity are pure Bava which was very appreciated as Roy Colt and Rabid Dogs lacked this aspect and were poorer for it. His control of sword based violence was also solid for the era but nothing particularly outstanding. It was too reliant on speed ramping.

It was also nice to see Cameron Mitchell in something that isn't the worst that cinema has to offer. He's apparently been in many good things I've seen but I saw them before he made his striking impression as the laziest, weirdest, angriest actor a direct to VHS movie has ever seen.

Next up from Bava is Diabolik, then I think I've tapped my resources for his filmography.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I quite enjoyed Erik the Conqueror, though I had to rewatch the ending because a bad headache made me get a tad loopy so I feel I still owe the film a proper watch.

I was really pleasantly surprised by it--the color alone was entrancing. It also had some effective moments of surprising violence (like the
woman and the small child being run through in the opening action sequence
).

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I was really pleasantly surprised by it--the color alone was entrancing. It also had some effective moments of surprising violence (like the
woman and the small child being run through in the opening action sequence
).

Indeed. Talk about an attention grabber. In terms of Italian cinema, I haven't seen many (or any others, off the top of my head) Peplum but I think I may have to dive in. I'm starting up Baba's Knives of the Avenger, also starring Cameron Mitchell, right now.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am

If Erik the Conqueror is a Peplum that occasionally dresses up like a Gothic Horror, then Knives of the Avenger is a spaghetti western dressed up as a Peplum. Instead of a gunslinger who rides a pale horse and has a haunted past, we've got a a knife slinger who rides a pale horse and has a haunted past. The knife throwing is shot exactly like Leone quick draw shoot outs and the film is complete with bar room showdowns, a Morricone-esque score and a ride off into the sunset. It's the kind of genre mash up for which I'm a complete sucker. It's not as impressive as ETC but I think it may be more fun.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

At one point a character turns around wearing a necklace of severed ears and declares "I'm all ears!".

You got me.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I quite enjoyed Erik the Viking...

I really like Erik the Viking.
Now, this Erik the Conqueror thing I don't know.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Wooley wrote:
I really like Erik the Viking.
Now, this Erik the Conqueror thing I don't know.

Heh. I typed that while watching a video essay on its similarities and differences to the Vikings and it jacked me up. I need to watch more tangentially Python related films.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:47 pm

The Vault - 4/10 - I don't know what the hell James Franco was doing in this movie. He and Clifton Collins Jr. are the only two recognizable stars in it. The premise certainly sounded promising. A bank robbery somehow veering off into the supernatural. The actual execution however is clumsy and half baked. There are so many plotholes and loose ends that by the end you'll be lucky to notice the end credits rolling.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
The Vault - 4/10 - I don't know what the hell James Franco was doing in this movie. He and Clifton Collins Jr. are the only two recognizable stars in it. The premise certainly sounded promising. A bank robbery somehow veering off into the supernatural. The actual execution however is clumsy and half baked. There are so many plotholes and loose ends that by the end you'll be lucky to notice the end credits rolling.

Indeed. The film is a waste of a solid premise and it's clear that Franco and Collins were there for a day, got their pay and ran away.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
In terms of Italian cinema, I haven't seen many (or any others, off the top of my head) Peplum but I think I may have to dive in.

My dad has been a fan since he was a kid, and as a result I've seen more than my share of them. I'd just like to offer a warning that the bad ones can be excruciating. Other than the 2 or 3 Bavas I've seen (including Knives) I have a hard time differentiating one from another. You're an old pro at this so I'm sure you can trust your instincts here, but oh boy are the bad ones bad. When you're lucky it's funny-bad, but often it's just kill-me-now-bad. And it's astounding just how many of them were made in about a 15 year period. My only advice would be to seek out Steve Reeves as Hercules, and/or directors you've heard of. Watched one with Pops recently directed by Jacques Tourneur of all people. Venture beyond that at your own risk.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1409, 1410, 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414, 1415 ... 1442  Next