It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 70687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1410, 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

I don't think there's much James Franco turns down. He has two directorial efforts in the can upcoming.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
My dad has been a fan since he was a kid, and as a result I've seen more than my share of them. I'd just like to offer a warning that the bad ones can be excruciating. Other than the 2 or 3 Bavas I've seen (including Knives) I have a hard time differentiating one from another. You're an old pro at this so I'm sure you can trust your instincts here, but oh boy are the bad ones bad. When you're lucky it's funny-bad, but often it's just kill-me-now-bad. And it's astounding just how many of them were made in about a 15 year period. My only advice would be to seek out Steve Reeves as Hercules, and/or directors you've heard of. Watched one with Pops recently directed by Jacques Tourneur of all people. Venture beyond that at your own risk.

Also, in all my years of watching these I don't think I've ever come across one in Italian. These are evidently not given the same respect as say, the Italian Gothic stuff, so it's very rare to find copies that have been restored in any way. 90% of the ones I've seen have been completely washed out, pan & scan, severely damaged, and with atrocious American dubbing. So that is also a factor in my overall impression of the genre.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Also, in all my years of watching these I don't think I've ever come across one in Italian. These are evidently not given the same respect as say, the Italian Gothic stuff, so it's very rare to find copies that have been restored in any way. 90% of the ones I've seen have been completely washed out, pan & scan, severely damaged, and with atrocious American dubbing. So that is also a factor in my overall impression of the genre.

Thanks for the advice. With Italian cinema, I tend to be drawn by directors so of the Peplum I've got my eye on, they're all from directors I've taken note of from other genres. Given that most Italian films were made with English in mind, I often don't mind the sub and consider it part of the charm. It's visual fidelity that I crave, as the Italians were excellent visualisers for the most part.

The next Peplum I'll likely purchase is Leone's Colossus of Rhodes when it drops on Blu Ray later this month. I might give Hercules in the Haunted World a go on Amazon prime but I need to check the transfer first.

You should take a gander at the Arrow release of Erik the Conqueror. I imagine it, like most Arrow, is also freely available on prime.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Hercules in the Haunted World is fun but my print came from youtube and it was so/so. That was part of the charm as well.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
With Italian cinema, I tend to be drawn by directors so of the Peplum I've got my eye on, they're all from directors I've taken note of from other genres.

You'll be fine with that approach. It's just like Westerns or Horror, lots of recycled plots and so on. (Every film WILL have a banquet scene featuring a seductive dance by temple maidens.) The good directors manage to transcend it, while there's lots of generic stuff in the lower tiers, which is where one's endurance is tested. My dad's got one of those public domain "50 movies for $10" collections and some of those are brutal. He brings it out whenever it's Father's Day or his birthday or something and my mom relinquishes control of the TV. I'm the only member of the family with the stomach for such things so I always get drafted to watch it with him. Good times.

But yeah, the good ones are fun. I've seen 2 or 3 Bavas and Colossus, among others. In the lesser films the "Norse" ones can be indistinguishable visually from the Greco-Roman ones. The "Thor" movies appear to be filmed with the same sets and costumes as the Hercules, in other words. Which is one reason I was impressed with Knives of the Avenger. There was obviously an attempt to make it a "Viking" film, visually-speaking. I don't recall the plot so much as I do the landscapes and so on.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I remember stumbling across a movie as a kid. Scantily clad women and a masked killer at a foreboding mansion of sorts. The scene that stuck with me was one where the killer seared a woman's face on a red hot wood burning stove. And I remember the guy from High Chaparral, Cameron Mitchell, was in it. Turned out to be Blood and Black Lace. I didn't know from giallo or who Mario Bava was. But hey, scantily clad women.

EDIT: I thought I hadn't seen any other giallo type of movies but according to Google, Berberian Studios, qualifies as one. And I have watched Black Sunday.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I remember stumbling across a movie as a kid. Scantily clad women and a masked killer at a foreboding mansion of sorts. The scene that stuck with me was one where the killer seared a woman's face on a red hot wood burning stove. And I remember the guy from High Chaparral, Cameron Mitchell, was in it. Turned out to be Blood and Black Lace. I didn't know from giallo or who Mario Bava was. But hey, scantily clad women.

EDIT: I thought I hadn't seen any other giallo type of movies but according to Google, Berberian Studios, qualifies as one. And I have watched Black Sunday.

Black Sunday, though directed by Bava, doesn't really strike me as a giallo film. It precedes the genre, and fits more into the Hammer style of Gothic horror. And Berberian Sound Studio is totally giallo in style, but I'd characterize it as neo-giallo: self-consciously influenced by the genre and not part of the zeitgeist. Blood and Black Lace, on the other hand, is pure (albeit early) giallo. You should definitely check out some Argento though.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am

Another good neo-giallo, for lack of a better term, is The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013). The same pair that did the film Amer (very ultra stylish) and they also have another one out I haven't seen.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 am

has anyone seen First Reformed yet? it's playing near me and I'm guessing I should soon before Jurassic Whatever pushes it out. although I'm also a little worried how close to home it's going to hit me. still nice to see Schrader has bounced back. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers this.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
has anyone seen First Reformed yet? it's playing near me and I'm guessing I should soon before Jurassic Whatever pushes it out. although I'm also a little worried how close to home it's going to hit me. still nice to see Schrader has bounced back. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers this.

I saw it on Monday and loved it. If you like the type of slow burn, thematically heavy type of drama that Scorsese’s Silence exuded, then you’ll enjoy it. Ethan Hawke is phenomenal and it tackles its themes with astounding grace. It might not be for everyone but I won’t be surprised if it stays on the top of my 2018 rankings for the rest of the year.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 am

Also, Hereditary is a suitably unsettling watch. Toni Collette deserves the Oscar, and the film succeeds in melding its examination of grief with profoundly unnerving imagery. Both it and First Reformed are topping my 2018 list for the time being.

Rebel Without a Cause: C/C+ - Phenomenal performance from Dean aside, I really couldn’t get into this one. I was left mostly bored and uninterested in the characters. I think The 400 Blows captures 1950’s youth alienation better (though they are relatively different films)

The Hurricane Heist - So bad it’s good/10 - I watched this with friends and we all had a fun time mocking the film. There’s a scene with hubcaps that has to be seen to be believed.

The Greatest Showman - C - A thoroughly mediocre piece of revisionist history fluff with a great soundtrack. The Pasek/Paul duo continues to impress.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 am

Zardoz - WTF/10

Also: adult male diaper

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:07 pm

The Terminator -10/10

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 pm

ski petrol wrote:
Another good neo-giallo, for lack of a better term, is The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013). The same pair that did the film Amer (very ultra stylish) and they also have another one out I haven't seen.

The Strange Color of your Body's Tears is absolute top shelf and very intense. One of my favorite movies ever. It's much more stylized than almost any Giallo I've seen, which may or may not work for some.

Nightworld, 2017 (C-)

Very unremarkable. Tons of exposition, piling on and on and on and making sure nothing really feels like a mystery because if you've seen any amount of horror, you'll know what is telegraphed. Also the hot young Bulgarian art student falling head-over-heels for a completely average middle-aged security guard after exactly zero character development will get your eyes rolling dangerously fast.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 am

Space Mutiny - 1/10. Let's face it - this is a bad movie - but in its defense, the story, writing and acting are not completely terrible. There is potential in its story about a group of separatists who are aching to trade their Battlestar Galactica-esque spaceship's life support ventilators for fresh air. While there are plenty of eyebrow-raising deviations, such as a creepy old man with a Saran wrap fetish and odd dialogue exchanges like the one about ancient dentistry, the movie tells its tale well enough. Also, with the exception of Reb Brown's cheesy turn as our gym rat hero with a tendency to randomly screech like an owl, the performances aren't all bad (I especially enjoyed John Philip Law's scenery-chewing villain). However, it falls on its face because the execution makes taking any of this seriously completely impossible. Battlestar Galactica found footage notwithstanding, the Southern Star is one part '80s era dentist office, one part waste treatment facility and one part pants-optional canteen. As for the (extremely repetitive) action scenes, when they don't feature khaki-clad extras flying in the air or falling off railings, they involve floor buffing vehicles chasing each other in circles. Speaking of khaki, all of the costumes were probably donated by former UPS employees and by a strip club for sci-fi fetishists. In short, since it clearly intended to be decent but fell short by a mile in achieving that goal, it has all the makings of a "so bad, it's good" masterpiece.

The Rifftrax Live Version - 6/10. Unfortunately, Mike and the boys didn't improve upon the 1997 edition. Not only were their riffs less funny and well timed, their attempts at adding modern pop culture references like selfies and Facebook came across like a dad trying to relate to his teenage son. Thankfully, when their jokes hit the mark, the really hit them, such as when a balloon-carrying gorilla showed up just in time to censor a sex scene and any of their riffs during the zamboni chases.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 am

Between Blood and Black Lace and Space Mutiny, this is coming very close to devolving into a Cameron Mitchell appreciation thread. Truly a filmography that can only be explained by the need to make alimony payments.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:42 am

My viewing of Knives of the Avenger can be added to the Mitchell list. This is not coincidental I think.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:48 am

BL wrote:
Between Blood and Black Lace and Space Mutiny, this is coming very close to devolving into a Cameron Mitchell appreciation thread. Truly a filmography that can only be explained by the need to make alimony payments.

I'll add to that with my watches of Mitchell's direct to VHS classics Hollywood Cop and Deadly Prey. Both were masterpieces of bad but I watched HC capping off a marathon of Amir Shervan badness and after Killing American Style and Young Rebels, it's effect was entirely diminished and I think it's my least favorite Shervan currently, though Mitchell's Tums festival was wonderful.

He had a bigger and amusingly inconsequential turn in Deadly Prey, where he's top billed as Jaine's Dad, as he tries to rescue a never nude Rambo wannabe that's being hunted ala Most Dangerous Game rip off. It's a masterpiece.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 am

Goddammit, I'm going to end up watching Terror in Beverly Hills now, aren't I?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 am

BL wrote:
Goddammit, I'm going to end up watching Terror in Beverly Hills now, aren't I?

Currently available on Amazon prime! They should be paying me at this point.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 am

Torgo wrote:
Space Mutiny - 1/10. Let's face it - this is a bad movie - but in its defense, the story, writing and acting are not completely terrible. There is potential in its story about a group of separatists who are aching to trade their Battlestar Galactica-esque spaceship's life support ventilators for fresh air. While there are plenty of eyebrow-raising deviations, such as a creepy old man with a Saran wrap fetish and odd dialogue exchanges like the one about ancient dentistry, the movie tells its tale well enough. Also, with the exception of Reb Brown's cheesy turn as our gym rat hero with a tendency to randomly screech like an owl, the performances aren't all bad (I especially enjoyed John Philip Law's scenery-chewing villain). However, it falls on its face because the execution makes taking any of this seriously completely impossible. Battlestar Galactica found footage notwithstanding, the Southern Star is one part '80s era dentist office, one part waste treatment facility and one part pants-optional canteen. As for the (extremely repetitive) action scenes, when they don't feature khaki-clad extras flying in the air or falling off railings, they involve floor buffing vehicles chasing each other in circles. Speaking of khaki, all of the costumes were probably donated by former UPS employees and by a strip club for sci-fi fetishists. In short, since it clearly intended to be decent but fell short by a mile in achieving that goal, it has all the makings of a "so bad, it's good" masterpiece.

The Rifftrax Live Version - 6/10. Unfortunately, Mike and the boys didn't improve upon the 1997 edition. Not only were their riffs less funny and well timed, their attempts at adding modern pop culture references like selfies and Facebook came across like a dad trying to relate to his teenage son. Thankfully, when their jokes hit the mark, the really hit them, such as when a balloon-carrying gorilla showed up just in time to censor a sex scene and any of their riffs during the zamboni chases.

I've almost turned around to secretly loving the movie. It moves really fast, and its stupidity feels sincere and good-faith (as opposed to cynical and contemptible, like a Coleman Francis).

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm

The only other thing I remember seeing Cameron Mitchell in is The Midnight Man with Burt Lancaster who plays an ex-cop/ex-con who gets hired as a college security guard. Mitchell plays one of his old friends. Oh and it's a murder mystery. Did I mention that? But that doesn't necessarily mean Cameron Mitchell is involved. Right?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:26 pm

I'll be watching My Favorite Year in the next few days, so I'll join the fun.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:55 am

DaMU wrote:

I've almost turned around to secretly loving the movie. It moves really fast, and its stupidity feels sincere and good-faith (as opposed to cynical and contemptible, like a Coleman Francis).
Same here, but I can't help but rate it 1/10. The terrible production values, repetitive action scenes and the
fact that it brought a character back from the dead
are unforgivable offenses.
This movie and The Final Sacrifice make for my favorite MST3K episodes. Besides having the best riffs, the movies' sincerity and good faith like you said are oddly admirable.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:01 am

American Made - 7/10 - It's imminently watchable even though they took vast liberties with Barry Seal's life. They have Tom Cruise in a tailor made role, that of a glib and charming fast talker. Which is where his talents lie and where he notably shines. And Domhnall Gleeson providing solid support. This is one of Cruise's better movies. Or maybe it simply looks good when compared to a glaring misstep like The Mummy.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:56 am

Small Town Crime - 7.5/10 - This is on Netflix so it's worth catching if you so choose. John Hawkes stars and his presence is usually enough to sell me on a movie. The trailer, as so often happens, made this look better than it turned out to be. But it eventually works past a somewhat pedestrian script. The result of which makes Hawkes come off as almost miscast. (He does look way too old to be playing a street cop) He wins you over by the end though. It's also got a strong supporting cast with Octavia Spencer, Anthony Anderson, Clifton Collins Jr. and Robert Forster. But then I suppose any movie with Hawkes and Forster has a good chance of winning out in the end.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Terror in Beverly Hills was a disappointment. It's generally just inept rather than insane, and I find the latter quality necessary to distinguish a truly great bad movie. The first half hour or so is a totally plotless slog, and the actual goings-on, once they get going, are just a bunch of cynical box-ticking exercises for what the filmmakers obviously thought would sell, but in fact they were too crude to pull off. Violence, tits, violence, tits, racism, repeat. Cameron Mitchell is absolutely a standout as a character for whom I counted as having only one line of dialogue free from profanity, but it's overall a scuzzy dumb piece of uninteresting trash.

Maybe I was in the wrong mindset having seen Glenda Jackson's triumphant return to Broadway in Three Tall Women just a few hours earlier. I am doing the culture thing quite hard right now.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm

My baby-boomer father has had a life-long crush on Annette Funicello, so for Father's Day I brought him to see Beach Blanket Bingo at a local theater.
Some thoughts:
-there's a mermaid
-unexpected amount of skydiving. Like, LOTS of skydiving
-Frankie Avalon's hair was so tight it must've been bulletproof
-Don Rickles and Paul Lynde doing their respective things
-an elderly Buster Keaton chasing a blonde around the beach
-good lord Linda Evans was a pretty lady

Fun stuff, I'm giving it 4/5. Don't judge me.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 am

Watched the Far Country. Anthony Mann plus Jimmy Stewart have yet to disappoint. I don't even know how to rank their collaborations as of yet as they're all so consistently well done. It's also nice seeing Stewart go against his wholesome image and play some nigh amoral, haunted western figures.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 am

Laissez Bronzer les Cadavres (Let the Corpses Tan), 2017 (A-)

Third movie from Cattet and Forzani (Amer and The Strange Color of your Body's Tears.)

Like the other two, this movie is very visually appealing and very creative in ways the other two movies haven't tried, but there are more misses here than in the other two. The biggest issue is how self-indulgent it feels at times. The previous movies were more focused and every scene was more meticulously crafted than here, where things feel either rushed or feel like filler. There's a lot that doesn't serve a purpose in the story or add to the mood in any way. Still a strong film, however. Much more violent than the others as well. Like a less cartoony Quentin Tarantino at times rather than actual Giallo. No knife murders here, only guns. There's also a lack of a mystery to carry the first act, so you have to trust that it'll get better in the second, which it does all the way to the end, but still. You have to trust the movie instead of being drawn in.

In spite of all its faults, this is a very strong movie and I'd recommend it if you liked either of the previous two, but I wouldn't recommend it over either.

Slight epilepsy warning about 10 minutes into the second half. I don't have epilepsy, but it seems like a warning would fit here.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:16 am

Millennium Actress

This was the only Satoshi Kon movie I hadn't seen, just because I could never find it. (Thanks, TubiTV) Anyway, having now seen all of his films I've decided he's my favorite director of anime. I like but don't adore Miyazaki. Wish I could connect with him more, but with Kon it's never a struggle. This one doesn't have the eye-candy of Paprika (what film does?), but it's just a good story with great animation. Cancer sucks.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Millennium Actress

This was the only Satoshi Kon movie I hadn't seen, just because I could never find it. (Thanks, TubiTV) Anyway, having now seen all of his films I've decided he's my favorite director of anime. I like but don't adore Miyazaki. Wish I could connect with him more, but with Kon it's never a struggle. This one doesn't have the eye-candy of Paprika (what film does?), but it's just a good story with great animation. Cancer sucks.

I love Millennium Actress. A really moving story and I like the way that the film captured the mix of memories and film. I think it said interesting things about how we as people tell ourselves our own stories.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:58 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I love Millennium Actress. A really moving story and I like the way that the film captured the mix of memories and film. I think it said interesting things about how we as people tell ourselves our own stories.

It's definitely his most emotionally resonant movie, maybe a challenged Tokyo Godfathers. Have you seen any other of his movies? They all deal, one way or another, with illusions and the way humans use them or are used by them to cope with life. Except maybe for Godfathers.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:04 am

Charles wrote:

It's definitely his most emotionally resonant movie, maybe a challenged Tokyo Godfathers. Have you seen any other of his movies? They all deal, one way or another, with illusions and the way humans use them or are used by them to cope with life. Except maybe for Godfathers.

I've seen all of them (and the Paranoia Agent series). His animated films are hands-down my favorites. I'm way overdue for a rewatch of Perfect Blue, which was the first not-for-kids animated movie I ever saw like 20 years ago and it kind of blew my mind.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am

First Reformed and Hereditary are both great theatrical experiences especially with good crowds feelin it

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

Takoma1 wrote:
the Paranoia Agent series.

Where did you find this? It's not available on any of my sources.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Where did you find this? It's not available on any of my sources.

At the time, I blind bought it and watched it on a region-free DVD player. That's still how I watch it. Worth it.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Forced Vengeance - Well, it's a pretty typical early-80s B-movie with a coupla murders related to Hong Kong mob dealings starting things off. But you shouldn't oughta murdered Chuck Norris' friends. Cuz he's comin' for ya. It moves along. Pretty much everybody joins the competition for who can act even more wooden than a young Chuck Norris. I mean, really, the acting is universally just awful making that, of all things, the real challenge of tackling this movie. Otherwise, there's some karate and a girl in a fridge and then Chuck wins. Spoiler.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

At the time, I blind bought it and watched it on a region-free DVD player. That's still how I watch it. Worth it.

Ah. Blind buy was my last resort, but I don't have a region-free player. Fiddlesticks.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Hotel Artemis - 7/10. This is a pretty good single-location action movie in the same vein as Assault on Precinct 13, The Raid and Dredd. While it's not nearly as good as those movies, it's a worthy addition to this mini-genre and it demonstrates why it's so compelling. Like those movies, it's very lean and efficient - it was over before I knew it - but it's a nice change of pace to see an action movie where the fate of the world isn't at stake. This is one of the first movies I've seen that seems like it belongs in Trump's America. Its depictions of the titular hotel, which is actually a clandestine emergency room for criminals, and a gang-run futuristic Los Angeles seem like they belong in the future of the alternate timeline from Back to the Future II (Jeff Goldblum's Biff Tannen-like gang leader even mentions that he owns the police). In short (no pun intended), it's a pleasant surprise, but what made me interested in it - its impressive cast that includes Jodie Foster, Sterling K. Brown, Dave Bautista and Jenny Slate - wasn't as satisfying as I had anticipated. While it was nice to see Jodie Foster acting again and to see Jeff Goldblum play a bad guy, the rest of its star power is underutilized or disappointingly typecast (Sofia Boutella yet again plays a rogue of few words and Charlie Day's hotheaded jerk might as well have wandered off the set of It's Always Sunny).

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Torgo wrote:
Hotel Artemis - 7/10. This is a pretty good single-location action movie in the same vein as Assault on Precinct 13, The Raid and Dredd. While it's not nearly as good as those movies, it's a worthy addition to this mini-genre and it demonstrates why it's so compelling. Like those movies, it's very lean and efficient - it was over before I knew it - but it's a nice change of pace to see an action movie where the fate of the world isn't at stake. This is one of the first movies I've seen that seems like it belongs in Trump's America. Its depictions of the titular hotel, which is actually a clandestine emergency room for criminals, and a gang-run futuristic Los Angeles seem like they belong in the future of the alternate timeline from Back to the Future II (Jeff Goldblum's Biff Tannen-like gang leader even mentions that he owns the police). In short (no pun intended), it's a pleasant surprise, but what made me interested in it - its impressive cast that includes Jodie Foster, Sterling K. Brown, Dave Bautista and Jenny Slate - wasn't as satisfying as I had anticipated. While it was nice to see Jodie Foster acting again and to see Jeff Goldblum play a bad guy, the rest of its star power is underutilized or disappointingly typecast (Sofia Boutella yet again plays a rogue of few words and Charlie Day's hotheaded jerk might as well have wandered off the set of It's Always Sunny, for instance).

I wanted to see this today but the earliest show was 4:30 - I'll have to catch this on Sunday.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 am

Crack in the World, 1964 (B-)

Some pretty amazing 60's set pieces, but that's pretty much it. There's a sappy and useless love triangle in there for no reason, which sucks. The biggest problem is how completely and thoroughly this movie fails at instilling any sense of urgency at all despite the ridiculously high stakes.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 am

I watched SPL 3: Paradox, known just as Paradox in America and sometimes referred to as Kill Zone 3. This one returns Wilson Yip to the director's chair and places Sammo Hung as the action choreographer. Louis Koo is the star and delivers one of the strongest dramatic performances I've seen in a martial arts film.

The plot is heavier than usual and avoids the more melodramatic pitfalls common in the genre but makes the first hour a much more unpleasant slog. There's also a horribly out of place scene in which a prostitute is beaten, raped and pissed on. The scene has narrative purpose but is so much more sadistic than the rest of the film that I could see it turning off most viewers.

That said, the film has some grand action sequences and keeps with the series goal of implementing higher drama into the genre. If you dig the franchise, it's worth a whirl and is consistent with their relative quality overall. It also has some nice narrative surprises that really worked for me.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:44 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
He had a bigger and amusingly inconsequential turn in Deadly Prey, where he's top billed as Jaine's Dad, as he tries to rescue a never nude Rambo wannabe that's being hunted ala Most Dangerous Game rip off. It's a masterpiece.
I can second that, judging from this moment:

:D

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I watched SPL 3: Paradox, known just as Paradox in America and sometimes referred to as Kill Zone 3. This one returns Wilson Yip to the director's chair and places Sammo Hung as the action choreographer. Louis Koo is the star and delivers one of the strongest dramatic performances I've seen in a martial arts film.

Wow. This shows you how out of the loop I am. I didn't even know they made a third one until reading this but now it is on my radar. I know the last one had Tony Jaa and I liked it.

As far as Asian cinema in general I haven't watched anything. The only thing I have on my harddrive is a remake of the art-house classic Fires on the Plain and another Hong Sang-soo and as I told you I'm just not in the mood for arthouse right now. It being a little hot and my mind is just on general fun. I do want to see A Quiet Place.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 am

ski petrol wrote:

Wow. This shows you how out of the loop I am. I didn't even know they made a third one until reading this but now it is on my radar. I know the last one had Tony Jaa and I liked it.

As far as Asian cinema in general I haven't watched anything. The only thing I have on my harddrive is a remake of the art-house classic Fires on the Plain and another Hong Sang-soo and as I told you I'm just not in the mood for arthouse right now. It being a little hot and my mind is just on general fun. I do want to see A Quiet Place.

Tony Jaa is also in this one, albeit in a smaller capacity, as is Chang from Only God Forgives.

I too have been disinterested in most art cinema as of late. I have random days but I can't gorge on it. I think I'm getting back into Spaghetti Western.

I just watched the Kino Blu of Death Rides a Horse and it's exceptional. The plot is better than most, the score is astounding and Cleef does his thing as well here as anywhere. The transfer is solid but that's a triumph as this one has been plagued with VHS dupes for years.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Tony Jaa is also in this one, albeit in a smaller capacity, as is Chang from Only God Forgives.

I too have been disinterested in most art cinema as of late. I have random days but I can't gorge on it. I think I'm getting back into Spaghetti Western.

I want to sees Death Rides a Horse. I did watch Knives of the Avenger and that was loads of fun. Such a simple story but lots of good things in that one. Cameron Mitchell included. Today I finsihed a series made for Netflix called Dope about the drug trade/war in America. Sobering and sad to see how many people are hooked on dangerous substances in this country. A lot of it brought on by poverty.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Starcrash - I just had no idea/10

What can be said about Starcrash. It is such a poorly-made film on so many levels, and yet without irony or any self-awareness, yet not without imagination either, that it actually transcends badness and becomes surreal. And in that strange surreal space, embracing it wholly... nearly becomes... good?
Or perhaps I was just high.
Either way, I am NOT sorry I watched Starcrash.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm

ski petrol wrote:

I want to sees Death Rides a Horse. I did watch Knives of the Avenger and that was loads of fun. Such a simple story but lots of good things in that one. Cameron Mitchell included. Today I finsihed a series made for Netflix called Dope about the drug trade/war in America. Sobering and sad to see how many people are hooked on dangerous substances in this country. A lot of it brought on by poverty.

You should definitely seek it out. It's especially fun if you're a Kill Bill fan as there are a bunch of retroactive Easter eggs due to Tarantino sampling heavily from it

On that same note, I watched The Mercenary (also courtesy of Kino Blu). It's probably my least favorite of the three Corbucci that I've seen but the action is solid, the Morricone score is great and Franco Nero is as watchable as ever. It also has a much stronger female character than most in the genre. The climatic showdown is worth the watch alone.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Ocean's 8 (2018) - directed by Gary Ross

I'm not familiar with Ross' stuff except for Pleasantville, which is a wonderful film. I'm a fan of Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 13, so between those three films I had a lot of expectations for Ross to succeed with this and although it's stylish, Ocean's 8 falls a little flat.

And really, there is only one problem with the film. The casting, acting, set design and especially costumes are excellent. Where this film falters is the screenplay. The plot makes sense (mostly) but the dialogue is severely lacking a lot of the fun, cool and cleverness of the other Ocean films. The soundtrack was good, but compared to something like a Tarantino movie where the music is "appropriate", some of it seems shoehorned in here to add to the "coolness" factor.

The big twist at the end (that they stole an entire set of crown jewels while distracting people with the diamond necklace) was pretty good. Also finding out that Anne Hathaway had joined the crew.

Sandra Bullock - who looks like she hasn't aged since Demolition Man - is a satisfactory replacement for George Clooney. The other ladies do a good job, but obviously the focus is on Sandra and Cate Blanchett. And it's Cate who steals the movie. Beautiful, classy, cool... the perfect replacement for Brad Pitt. James Corden has an amusing role as an insurance investigator.

And even though Ocean's 8 lacks the gusto of Ocean's 11 & 13, I'd still love to see a sequel and it's something that could certainly happen.

I was a little disappointed that they (seemingly) killed off Danny Ocean's character. Aside from his name, the connections to the other films were a cameo by Reuben (Elliott Gould) and a short (pardon the pun) sequence with Yen (Shaobo Qin).

7/10

So I went to see this with my wife tonight. I pretty much agree with all you've said here. Something about the Ocean films prior felt like they were special not only getting these characters together for a fun romp... but they were getting the actors together for a fun film. It just seemed to lack an exciting energy overall.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 70687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1410, 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414  Next