It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:18 am



Reply to topic  [ 72334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1391, 1392, 1393, 1394, 1395, 1396, 1397 ... 1447  Next
 Recently Seen 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

crumbsroom wrote:

I was just about to post a similar sentiment. I'm no great fan of Reeves as an actor, generally, but River's Edge is one of the two performances where his style perfectly compliments the tone of the film. The other is Bill and Ted (if that even needed to be said)


He is an actor where I am very aware that I like him (the person) so much that it bleeds into liking him as an actor because I just enjoy seeing him on screen. I'm not necessarily a completist when it comes to his movies, but I have really enjoyed him in quite a lot of films: River's Edge, Bill & Ted, Parenthood, Speed, A Walk in the Clouds, The Matrix, The Gift, A Scanner Darkly, John Wick 1 & 2. And I feel like "affable goofball" isn't the limit of his abilities. He is downright frightening in The Gift and that one scene between him and Giovanni Ribisi is a standout.

He also made for a really good host of the documentary Side by Side, where his genuine interest in film history and technology really comes across despite his more laid-back style.

I know it's dumb to say this about a person you only know via their public persona, but I always get serious "good person/cool dude" vibes from Keanu Reeves.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:51 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:

He is an actor where I am very aware that I like him (the person) so much that it bleeds into liking him as an actor because I just enjoy seeing him on screen. I'm not necessarily a completist when it comes to his movies, but I have really enjoyed him in quite a lot of films: River's Edge, Bill & Ted, Parenthood, Speed, A Walk in the Clouds, The Matrix, The Gift, A Scanner Darkly, John Wick 1 & 2. And I feel like "affable goofball" isn't the limit of his abilities. He is downright frightening in The Gift and that one scene between him and Giovanni Ribisi is a standout.

He also made for a really good host of the documentary Side by Side, where his genuine interest in film history and technology really comes across despite his more laid-back style.

I know it's dumb to say this about a person you only know via their public persona, but I always get serious "good person/cool dude" vibes from Keanu Reeves.


Forgot about Parenthood. That actually might be my favourite from him.

I've got no issues with Reeves as a guy. He seems to avoid most of the trappings of fame that I think make most actors pretty insufferable. But I just find him either painful or irrelevant as a presence in most films. Even a movie like Point Break, which I deeply love, I think he's terrible. His terribleness doesn't detract from the greatness of the movie at all, but he still makes me wince in a fair share of scenes. As for Matrix and John Wick, both of which I like, I can overlook his limitations, but he simply doesn't add much to the movies for me.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I'd add My Own Private Idaho to the list of quality uses or Reeves.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:34 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

crumbsroom wrote:
I can overlook his limitations, but he simply doesn't add much to the movies for me.


You know how some guys talk about Caroline Munro in the horror thread?

That's what he brings (those eyes and those cheekbones tho!).

And that's obviously just a bonus for those of us who are so inclined.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I'd add My Own Private Idaho to the list of quality uses or Reeves.


I almost added it to my list, but I haven't seen it in over 15 years, and I couldn't remember his performance (or the movie in general, honestly) well enough.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Liked Phantom Thread as I was watching, loving it as I suss it out in my brain afterward. Its portrayal of distance and toxicity develops with such careful escalation.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:
That's what he brings (those eyes and those cheekbones tho!).


You raise a good point. How could I possibly argue against those?


Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

crumbsroom wrote:

You raise a good point. How could I possibly argue against those?


Also, please enjoy Keanu nearly swooning at the arrival of Sonny Chiba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLMELzA6j8


Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
Liked Phantom Thread as I was watching, loving it as I suss it out in my brain afterward. Its portrayal of distance and toxicity develops with such careful escalation.


I'm gonna have to watch the Oscar ceremony without seeing this first. Oh the misery. At least I've seen Three Billboards and The Shape of Water and I know one of those is gonna win BP.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:
And that's obviously just a bonus for those of us who are so inclined.

Image

I have to add some love for I Love You To Death, which overall I think is an underrated comedy, but Reeves and Willia Hurt as the burnt out assassins definitely falls under the catagory of roles best utilizing his surf-bro accent.

Prince of Pennsylvania is not too bad. I do appreciate seeing him when he shows up in stuff like Neon Demon or Big Batch. And, yeah, I'd fuck him. I would record our love.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:37 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
Liked Phantom Thread as I was watching, loving it as I suss it out in my brain afterward. Its portrayal of distance and toxicity develops with such careful escalation.

Image


Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:46 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
Prince of Pennsylvania is not too bad. I do appreciate seeing him when he shows up in stuff like Neon Demon or Big Batch. And, yeah, I'd fuck him. I would record our love.


I don't think I'd fuck him, being straight and all, but I also haven't been in his presence.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
I don't think I'd fuck him, being straight and all

That's why I'd need a recorded document, otherwise my girlfriend would never believe me. Plus, even given my straight-man myopia, I'm pretty sure Keanu is well out of my league. This would be a coup on so many many levels. I think I'm going to buy some new shirts.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
Liked Phantom Thread as I was watching, loving it as I suss it out in my brain afterward. Its portrayal of distance and toxicity develops with such careful escalation.


As it was ending and immediately afterwards, I was thinking "this was good"; but as the night went on and the next day came in, I just couldn't get it out of my mind, and as I was writing my review for it, all these thoughts and ideas about it just kept pouring into my mind. That's the key to a great film for me - the ones that stick with you.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:21 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

crumbsroom wrote:

Forgot about Parenthood. That actually might be my favourite from him.

The "they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father" scene may be the best moment of his career.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

All of this Keanu Reeves talk and no mention of DANGEROUS LIASONS. Now there's a script which knows exactly why Keanu Reeves is in it


Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:59 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Nameless One wrote:
All of this Keanu Reeves talk and no mention of DANGEROUS LIASONS. Now there's a script which knows exactly why Keanu Reeves is in it

Dedication to badass action scenes?


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Mutiny On The Bounty (1962) - Marlon Brando + Trevor Howard + Richard Harris/10

Man. I hadn't seen this version since I was a teenager, and I loved it then and was mesmerized by Brando's performance, but I had subsequently seen the 1935 version several times and had come to think of it as the definitive version. In no small part due to the performance of the great Charles Laughton. I like Clark Gable, but he's no Brando. Meanwhile, Trevor Howard was EXCELLENT as bligh, but NO ONE is Charles Laughton.
Man. I just don't know anymore.
Really, this is a great movie, just a great one with great direction and cinematography and acting that just seems so ahead of its time to me, although I guess Brando kinda invented it (on the screen).

So I ended up leaving this movie, the day after marveling at William Hurt's performance in Body Heat and remembering him in Kiss Of The Spider Woman and The Big Chill (among others), that Brando was simply the best actor of the 20th Century. And then guys like Pacino and DeNiro, while fine actors and great in certain types of roles, really couldn't hold Brando's jock. They just don't have the range. From Stanley Kowalski and Terry Malloy (which are definitely different performances but similar blue-collar characters) to Mr. Christian to Don Corleone to Colonel Kurtz, Brando is the best I can think of (and when I was growing up, everyone said it was Olivier).

And yet this leads me to...


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Ruggles Of Red Gap (1935) - All the charms/10

This is such a fun, charming, yet earnest movie, I was sucked right in even though I had no intention of watching it. No wonder I've heard about this movie my whole life. This continues to validate my theory (an acquired theory, not a proposed one) that if a movie has a reputation as "Great", don't think, just watch it.
This movie is full of great performances, including a surprisingly real and subtle (if undemanding) performance by Leila Hyams who is so striking yet talented that I think I'm going down her rabbit-hole for a while, not to mention Roland Young, who was so great in the Cary Grant/Constance Bennet-led Topper and really shines here too opposite Hyams.
But, at the center of it all is an actor who generates such gravity and displays such incredible range, as well as a subtlety beyond anyone I can think of in his era, that my Brando proclamation is suddenly called, in a very real and literal way, into question.
I am talking about Charles Laughton.
I talked before of his stunning Captain Bligh in 1935's Mutiny On The Bounty, which carries all the balance for that earlier version against Brando and Howard's '62 version. But his performance here is so light and deft, yet so real and moving, it is a master-class somehow taking place 23 years before Brando's Malloy.
When you pile on Captain Kid, The Canterville Ghost, I, Claudius, The Private Life Of Henry VIII (for which he won Best Actor), his comedic performances such in The Old Dark House, and crown it with his career-defining performance as Quasimodo in The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, suddenly the argument for Best Actor Of The 20th Century becomes more muddled.
And, I'm not committing, but I'd buy Laughton as the winner of that argument.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:

You know how some guys talk about Caroline Munro in the horror thread?

That's what he brings (those eyes and those cheekbones tho!).


Sigh... Caroline Munro...


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Nameless One wrote:
All of this Keanu Reeves talk and no mention of DANGEROUS LIASONS. Now there's a script which knows exactly why Keanu Reeves is in it

That's a good point. And a great movie, IMO.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
John Hurt

William, btw.

Wooley wrote:
From Stanley Kowalski and Terry Malloy (which are definitely different performances but similar blue-collar characters) to Mr. Christian to Don Corleone to Colonel Kurtz, Brando is the best I can think of

It's not too PC to mention it these days, but Brando's "Paul" from Last Tango in Paris might be his very best work.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
William, btw.


It's not too PC to mention it these days, but Brando's "Paul" from Last Tango in Paris might be his very best work.

Ha! Yes, as I wrote in my review of the movie 36 hours ago. I'll fix it.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Jinnistan wrote:
William, btw.


It's not too PC to mention it these days, but Brando's "Paul" from Last Tango in Paris might be his very best work.

Ya know, I never saw it. Always meant to and it's just one of the ones I always forget about.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Big Heat (1953) - More Good Noir/10

Little late in the genre, but a good one, maybe not "classic noir". But an early take on the vigilante cop, you can understand how this movie was a big deal at the time.
Gotta admit I've never been totally sold on Glenn Ford but this movie helped me to understand his appeal, which is his ability to be a good, soft man and a driven, hard man.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Armageddon


This movie makes Deep Impact look like a mild hailstorm. In other words, this is the big-rock-falling-out-of-the- sky-that's-going-to-kill-everyone-on-earth movie of the year.

There's a rock the size of Texas heading towards earth and only Bruce Willis and his team of ecosystem-destroying oil drillers can stop it by going up in super-duper top secret shuttles and planting a nuclear warhead under the surface.

Good plan?

Nothing can go wrong? Right?

What...? Are you stupid?

From beginning to end, Armageddon assaults your senses with noise, action and special effects. I say "assault" because that's what it feels like. There's not a moment in this movie that stands the fuck still for any reason... everything is moving, cameras are never bolted down, everything is swinging or shaking, and nothing stops to let you take a breath. It's kind of annoying, but it's also kind of the fun of it all. Armageddon, which is probably the most bombastic and apt title for a space action movie, pretty much tells you what to expect and doesn't let up which is great... it's like a movie saying, "Hey, do you like cake?" and I say, "Yeah, I like cake" and then the movie says, "THEN HAVE SOME FUCKING CAKE, MOTHERFUCKER!" and starts force-feeding me cake. At first, I'm all like, "Kick ass! I love cake!" but after two hours, I'm all like, "Jesus Christ, this is the worst thing ever! Stop feeding me cake!"

But it will never stop... it will never stop feeding me cake. This is my life now.

Unlike Deep Impact, Armageddon doesn't give a rat's ass about Tea Leoni's or Elijah Wood's feeling about the end of the world. It isn't scattered with twenty million people worrying about making peace with their daddies or wanting to marry their thirteen-year-old sweethearts. Rather, Armageddon is about as shallow as the kiddie pool and every motivation and character moment is shallow and simple. Again, it's annoying, but it's also kind of awesome for a movie to just come out and say, "This guy love this girl and they TOTALLY WANT TO BONE!" and that's it. It's refreshing in its special ed simplicity.

Deep Impact was okay, but it's also Armageddon's nerdy older brother who never gets laid and no one wants to hang out with that guy.

I've seen some critics rail this movie for being nothing more than a two-hour movie trailer and, you know what? I think that's a super-apt analogy for what Armageddon feels like. But, you know... is there anything wrong with being a two-hour movie trailer? Sure, it's frenetic and gets a hard on when it sees the American flag, but it's also a load of fun. I know this is a bad movie and I know what I hate, but... I don't hate this. As a matter of fact, once the credits started to roll and cake stopped getting shoved in my mouth non-stop, I was satisfied with what I watched. I liked the huge action, I liked the over-directed bullshit, and I liked the one-dimensional characters that I went on the ride with.

Goddammit, sometimes I just like cake even though I know it's bad for me.

_________________
https://981032650940056207.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/slightlywarpedwebsite
https://www.youtube.com/SlightlyWarpedTube


Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Meh. I'll take Deep Impact over Armageddon a hundred times. I saw both in theatres back in the day, but the stupidity of the latter is ughh! From the premise to the execution. I haven't felt the need to revisit it since, whereas Deep Impact is the kind that if it's on TV, I have to sit down and watch at least some of it.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:29 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Donner wrote:
Armageddon


This movie makes Deep Impact look like a mild hailstorm. In other words, this is the big-rock-falling-out-of-the- sky-that's-going-to-kill-everyone-on-earth movie of the year.

There's a rock the size of Texas heading towards earth and only Bruce Willis and his team of ecosystem-destroying oil drillers can stop it by going up in super-duper top secret shuttles and planting a nuclear warhead under the surface.

Good plan?

Nothing can go wrong? Right?

What...? Are you stupid?

From beginning to end, Armageddon assaults your senses with noise, action and special effects. I say "assault" because that's what it feels like. There's not a moment in this movie that stands the fuck still for any reason... everything is moving, cameras are never bolted down, everything is swinging or shaking, and nothing stops to let you take a breath. It's kind of annoying, but it's also kind of the fun of it all. Armageddon, which is probably the most bombastic and apt title for a space action movie, pretty much tells you what to expect and doesn't let up which is great... it's like a movie saying, "Hey, do you like cake?" and I say, "Yeah, I like cake" and then the movie says, "THEN HAVE SOME FUCKING CAKE, MOTHERFUCKER!" and starts force-feeding me cake. At first, I'm all like, "Kick ass! I love cake!" but after two hours, I'm all like, "Jesus Christ, this is the worst thing ever! Stop feeding me cake!"

But it will never stop... it will never stop feeding me cake. This is my life now.

Unlike Deep Impact, Armageddon doesn't give a rat's ass about Tea Leoni's or Elijah Wood's feeling about the end of the world. It isn't scattered with twenty million people worrying about making peace with their daddies or wanting to marry their thirteen-year-old sweethearts. Rather, Armageddon is about as shallow as the kiddie pool and every motivation and character moment is shallow and simple. Again, it's annoying, but it's also kind of awesome for a movie to just come out and say, "This guy love this girl and they TOTALLY WANT TO BONE!" and that's it. It's refreshing in its special ed simplicity.

Deep Impact was okay, but it's also Armageddon's nerdy older brother who never gets laid and no one wants to hang out with that guy.

I've seen some critics rail this movie for being nothing more than a two-hour movie trailer and, you know what? I think that's a super-apt analogy for what Armageddon feels like. But, you know... is there anything wrong with being a two-hour movie trailer? Sure, it's frenetic and gets a hard on when it sees the American flag, but it's also a load of fun. I know this is a bad movie and I know what I hate, but... I don't hate this. As a matter of fact, once the credits started to roll and cake stopped getting shoved in my mouth non-stop, I was satisfied with what I watched. I liked the huge action, I liked the over-directed bullshit, and I liked the one-dimensional characters that I went on the ride with.

Goddammit, sometimes I just like cake even though I know it's bad for me.

I kinda feel the same way about Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. Although perhaps to a lesser extent.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Annihilation (Garland, '18)

Image

-It's destroying everything.
-It's not destroying... it's making something new.


The fear of the unknown has always been a frighteningly powerful thing, hasn't it? Even if something hasn't been confirmed to be a negative in any way, shape or form yet, just the uncertainty of not knowing what it is is terrible enough to send out minds racing with the worst kinds of possibilities, and it's been that way for our species ever since we first began to crawl out of the proverbial primordial ooze, so to speak. And, it is such a fear that drives Alex Garland's Annihilation, an unnervingly creepy, Lovecraftian work of cosmic horror/sci-fi that deals with a new sort of "primordial ooze", one that could serve to be the end of our species, or at least, our species as we know it, which is what ultimately proves to be the scariest thing of all.

The story here deals with "The Shimmer", a constantly shifting, psychedelic kaleidoscope of an atmospheric anomaly, one that appeared on the coast of the Florida Everglades after an apparent "meteor collision" three years ago, and which has grown in size ever since, swallowing up more and more land every instant without cease. Multiple military expeditions have ventured inside in order to study the anomaly (and in the hopes of finding a way to stop it from spreading), but no one has ever returned, until special forces soldier Kane shows up at the house of his long-grieving wife, professional biologist Lena, a year after he and his team went inside The Shimmer. However, Kane has absolutely no memory of what happened while he was on the inside, and he soon becomes mysteriously, gravely ill, and falls into a coma. And so, in the hopes of finding out what happened to her husband during that long, lost year, Lena decides to join a government expedition of scientists into The Shimmer, a journey undertaken in the hopes of finding a way to save Kane, but which may end up either holding the key to the next step in the evolution of mankind, or its complete and utter "annihilation".

So that's the basic setup, and from there, the main strength of Annihilation lies in its contrasting senses of creative wonder, and absolute, abject horror, as The Shimmer is constantly mutating every form of life inside it, be it plant, animal, or even human, which at times creates beautiful, awe-inspiring imagery (such as the thin, albino deer that appear to have flowers actually growing out of their antlers), or terrifying, otherworldly threats (such as a giant, mutant bear that seems able to absorb the consciousness of its victims as it mauls them to death, keeping a part of their being trapped inside of them in a state of perpetual terror). This continual contrasting of terror and beauty inside The Shimmer gives an ambiguous neutrality to the phenomenon, an unpredictability that makes it scarier than if it was just intentionally, completely malevolent all of the time, since neither we or the scientists know at all what will be coming for them next, or even if something be coming out of themselves, in moments of gory, Giger-ian body horror that rival the best from the Alien series, even.

Speaking of the scientists of the film, while there's little doubt that the talented but thinly-sketched cast of characters will eventually end up serving as anything other than expandable monster-fodder (outside of Natalie Portman's tough-but-weary Lena, of course), it's Annihilation's fundamentally horrifying sense of creativity that keeps us invested in their quest, as they venture deeper and deeper inside The Shimmer, first in hopes of answers, and then just for an escape, as they're picked off one by one, their bodies, minds, and sanity constantly deteriorating all the while. The whole affair carries a wonderfully dreadful sense of inevitability all the way to its absolutely mind-bending climax and frighteningly open-ended conclusion, and, while I ultimately can't call it a great film, as, like Garland's previous effort Ex Machina, certain characters and themes here are disappointingly vague and underdeveloped (and a mostly pointless, recurring series of flashbacks doesn't help things either), Annihilation is still a more unique and intriguing experience than at least 90% of what Hollywood usually puts out, and one of the better cinematic examples of the concept that the universe is a fundamentally scary, incomprehensible thing, one that is apathetic to the continued existence of humanity at best, and at worst... completely and utterly hostile.
Favorite Moment:
the final "duplication"
Final Score: 8

_________________
Recently Reviewed


Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

y'all were right, Coco was pretty good.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:

Have you seen River's Edge?

Keanu Reeves has a stunning amount of charisma and in the right context his "wooden" acting can slide just enough to the side to become more of a "still waters run deep" thing.
Not yet, but that does remind me of this nice article A.A. Dowd wrote about how John Wick makes the most of Keanu's "emptiness", if you're interested.

_________________
Recently Reviewed


Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:

He is an actor where I am very aware that I like him (the person) so much that it bleeds into liking him as an actor because I just enjoy seeing him on screen. I'm not necessarily a completist when it comes to his movies, but I have really enjoyed him in quite a lot of films: River's Edge, Bill & Ted, Parenthood, Speed, A Walk in the Clouds, The Matrix, The Gift, A Scanner Darkly, John Wick 1 & 2. And I feel like "affable goofball" isn't the limit of his abilities. He is downright frightening in The Gift and that one scene between him and Giovanni Ribisi is a standout.

He also made for a really good host of the documentary Side by Side, where his genuine interest in film history and technology really comes across despite his more laid-back style.

I know it's dumb to say this about a person you only know via their public persona, but I always get serious "good person/cool dude" vibes from Keanu Reeves.


I second this about The Gift. That was a performance that, when it came out, it sorta surprised everyone. He's really good in it.

I also second your closing statement. I've read many things about him being a really down-to-earth, good guy.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

The Post was perhaps very good. The acting was certainly what one expects of that caliber of star and Spielberg's direction is as formally perfect as usual but the story of the Pentagon Papers just isn't as viscerally interesting as Watergate or Priest pedophilia, so it comes off as a Shadow of All the President's Men (which it almost sets up as a sequel of sorts) and Spotlight, which proved that less formal virtuosity can actually be a benefit to such a film. But I liked it. I need to rewatch it as some personal issues clouded the experience.


Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:52 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Being Canadian - 6/10. Curious about my neighbors to the north, I watched this well-meaning but shallow documentary about them, which features sitcom writer Robert Cohen (According to Jim, The Big Bang Theory) driving from Nova Scotia to British Columbia. The places, people and things he sees along the way inspire predictable questions ("Why are Canadians so nice?" "Why do Canadians have an inferiority complex?" "Why don't Canadians study their own history?") which he asks famous Canadians ranging from Cobie Smulders to Alex Trebek. While a few of their answers are funny and/or insightful - especially Mike Myers' - there were a lot of the useless and annoying responses you typically get in documentaries like this one (laughing, awkward silences, "uhhh...", etc). If the documentary did anything exceptional, it was giving Canada's exceptional comedy history the credit and attention it deserves. Otherwise, it was mostly uninvolving. Also, Manitobans beware: either I wasn't paying attention or Robert did it quickly, but he doesn't mention anything about this province.

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
Sorry to Bother You (Riley, 2018)


Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:53 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
less formal virtuosity can actually be a benefit to such a film.
This is what keeps bothering me when Spielberg delves into these civic-minded films. When the subject matter is at heart about a bunch of guys arguing around a table, conservation of camera movement is critical. But if your camera is always on the move around a bunch of largely sedentary characters and you suddenly need that extra emphasis, you end up going over the top, as in the goofiest moment in Lincoln. Frank Capra and Sidney Lumet had this figured out, but it feels like Spielberg is trying to reinvent the wheel. Or in his fast-paced shooting style, he's just leaning on habits acquired from his days filming more kinetic action.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

How does The Post compare to Seth Meyers' Newspaper Movie?


_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
Sorry to Bother You (Riley, 2018)


Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:43 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

March is lookin' pretty rough to me.

Is anyone buying into Pacific Rim 2, Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, or A Wrinkle In Time?
Each of these movies seems to have something going for it (Del Toro's original/Boyega, a popular/fun novel, Alicia Vikander, a young-adult/sci-fi classic), but each of these movies also actually look somewhere between pointless and total shit.
Anyone got any words to get me excited for any of these films?

(Also posted this in Horrorcram)


Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
March is lookin' pretty rough to me.

Is anyone buying into Pacific Rim 2, Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, or A Wrinkle In Time?
Each of these movies seems to have something going for it (Del Toro's original/Boyega, a popular/fun novel, Alicia Vikander, a young-adult/sci-fi classic), but each of these movies also actually look somewhere between pointless and total shit.
Anyone got any words to get me excited for any of these films?

(Also posted this in Horrorcram)


I didn't even like the first Pacific Rim, so there's little for me there in a sequel.

I don't know much about RPO and the Spielberg factor doesn't bear the same weight as before. That said, it does seem to have that 80's aura, which might be a good thing for him.

I never played the games and I didn't even see the Jolie ones, but the trailer was fun. If reviews are a tad above solid, I might check this one for fun.

I also don't know much about Wrinkle in Time, but it does look like shit.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

A Wrinkle in Time has looked terrible from the start. Tomb Raider looks like one of those adventure movies that's too self-serious for its own good. Ready Player One... I can't. I hope other people like it and that it's good, sincerely, but I can't. Pacific Rim 2 looks the least objectionable, but the promotional imagery lacks the eerie night elements of the original and the abyssal phosphorescence of prior kaiju (to say nothing of how fast the jaegers seem to be moving).

The Incredibles 2 in June is the next movie I'm anticipating with any enthusiasm, and I am a bit curious to see if Bayona can salvage the Jurassic franchise. And then Mission Impossible: Fallout. Then it's a long walk to seeing if Wan survived Aquaman in December.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
A Wrinkle in Time has looked terrible from the start. Tomb Raider looks like one of those adventure movies that's too self-serious for its own good. Ready Player One... I can't. I hope other people like it and that it's good, sincerely, but I can't. Pacific Rim 2 looks the least objectionable, but the promotional imagery lacks the eerie night elements of the original and the abyssal phosphorescence of prior kaiju (to say nothing of how fast the jaegers seem to be moving).

The Incredibles 2 in June is the next movie I'm anticipating with any enthusiasm, and I am a bit curious to see if Bayona can salvage the Jurassic franchise. And then Mission Impossible: Fallout. Then it's a long walk to seeing if Wan survived Aquaman in December.


Yeah, those are a few I'm looking forward to, most notably Fallout. Aside of those, I'd say there are a couple of sequels that I will approach with caution and trepidation: Super Troopers 2, Sicario 2, The Predator, Halloween, Creed 2, and Mary Poppins Returns.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
A Wrinkle in Time has looked terrible from the start. Tomb Raider looks like one of those adventure movies that's too self-serious for its own good. Ready Player One... I can't. I hope other people like it and that it's good, sincerely, but I can't. Pacific Rim 2 looks the least objectionable, but the promotional imagery lacks the eerie night elements of the original and the abyssal phosphorescence of prior kaiju (to say nothing of how fast the jaegers seem to be moving).

...Then it's a long walk to seeing if Wan survived Aquaman in December.

Yeah, I really think Time and RPO look like hot garbage.

Man, Justice League was so comically abysmal, I just have no faith in anything coming from that group anymore, it would take GREAT word of mouth to get me in a theater for another one.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Taking a brief break from my monthly project...

Extinction (2017) This is a short film written, produced, and starred by Dylan Ramsey, a young Muslim filmmaker who is making his way in Hollywood. He had a brief but important role in the pilot episode of 24: Legacy last year, and I had the fortune of interviewing him during that time. He mentioned the short film and was kind enough to share a protected link to it.

The short film is set in a future where Muslims have been eradicated (extinct) due to a government safety act. Adam (Ramsey) is a young worker at a farm that belongs to a single woman, her daughter, and her ill mother, and he happens to be a surviving Muslim. Things get out of hand when the woman discovers this putting Adam's life in danger.

The film is very simple, but overall, it's well done. The direction by Iram Parveen Bilal is solid. The performances aren't excellent, but they get the job done. If I were to hold a fault to the film is that it lasts only 15 minutes, which results in events feeling rushed. I wanted to see more of this world and see the conflict pan out. But regardless of that, I do think it's worth a watch, if you can find it.

The film did well in international festivals winning some awards. But according to Ramsey himself, American festivals "avoid it like the plague", which hinders its availability in the US market. If you can find it, check it out.

IMDb link

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
Man, Justice League was so comically abysmal, I just have no faith in anything coming from that group anymore, it would take GREAT word of mouth to get me in a theater for another one.


Oh, yeah, it's not like the DCEU banner has me interested, it's more that Wan's doing the job, and there hasn't been any sign of on-set problems with the film (although that could obviously change before December). I figure it could be solid in the same way that Wonder Woman was, and I'm not against that.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:

Oh, yeah, it's not like the DCEU banner has me interested, it's more that Wan's doing the job, and there hasn't been any sign of on-set problems with the film (although that could obviously change before December). I figure it could be solid in the same way that Wonder Woman was, and I'm not against that.

I have faith in Wan's ability to turn in something technically accomplished. I won't be surprised if it's script is as garbage as WW's but I think it'll have spectacle.

I probably won't see it in theater unless I get movie money from a Blu-ray.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I like Wan but found his work in Furious 7 undistinguished at best, so I'm having a hard time getting even mildly interested in Aquaman.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Rock wrote:
I like Wan but found his work in Furious 7 undistinguished at best, so I'm having a hard time getting even mildly interested in Aquaman.

The Rock flexed a cast off his arm. Your complaints are void.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:46 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The Rock flexed a cast off his arm. Your complaints are void.

If the movie was a loop of casts exploding off the Rock's bulging arms, it might be decent. Unfortunately there's the eight hours of crap around it.

Better than the last one though.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
March is lookin' pretty rough to me.

Is anyone buying into Pacific Rim 2, Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, or A Wrinkle In Time?
Each of these movies seems to have something going for it (Del Toro's original/Boyega, a popular/fun novel, Alicia Vikander, a young-adult/sci-fi classic), but each of these movies also actually look somewhere between pointless and total shit.
Anyone got any words to get me excited for any of these films?

(Also posted this in Horrorcram)

I can’t say anything to reverse your opinion on those films, as I also think they mostly look disposable, but I can remind you that Isle of Dogs comes out this month (in limited release, granted). That has to count for something.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Wooley wrote:
March is lookin' pretty rough to me.

Is anyone buying into Pacific Rim 2, Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, or A Wrinkle In Time?
Each of these movies seems to have something going for it (Del Toro's original/Boyega, a popular/fun novel, Alicia Vikander, a young-adult/sci-fi classic), but each of these movies also actually look somewhere between pointless and total shit.
Anyone got any words to get me excited for any of these films?

(Also posted this in Horrorcram)

I just watched the first Pacific Rim and I did not care for it at all. Obviously, I do not need a sequel.
Tomb Raider looks meh.
I did not like the book Ready Player One is based on, the trailer looks really ugly and I don't like Spielberg to be honest.
A Wrinkle in Time could go anywhere. I'll wait for the reviews. It looks the least meh of them all.

At least Annihilation will be released in Belgium next week. Not in theaters, sadly enough, but it's something.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:54 am
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

I am also a long time fan of Wrinkle in Time and also feel that a talented director like Duvernay has every right to repeat the mistakes and poor judgment of a Tim Burton or a Sam Raimi. That, plus the fact that Oprah has shit taste in literature (yes, I'm already aware of some of the fundamental changes made for this movie), and I seriously doubt I'll be watching it anytime soon.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Recently Seen

Annihilation - 7.5

Given the film's subject matter, tone and non-linear structure, the temptation to make comparisons with Arrival is understandable but not helpful. Alex Garland does not yet have Villenueve's sense of scope or scale, much less dramatic temperment. Some of these limitations are more evident here than in the smaller, more intimate Ex Machina. I haven't read the trilogy on which the film is based, and am mostly unfamiliar with whatever various deviations. I won't consider them here. Perhaps the book can more fully explain some of the less apparently relevant character details, maybe not. I'll also skip over some of the more obvious plausibility issues (no night vision or infrared equipment?). Instead, I'll more positively point out that by the time the film gets going in its middle section, Garland does manage some impressively tense set pieces. And since Garland does not have the weightier conceptual heft of a film like Arrival, it manages to suffice in full-blown psychedelic splendor, giving the final act at least some sense of trancendence not actually supported by its story (as shown on screen, regardless of the book, as I understand Garland has no intention of additional sequels).

Still, all the same, it's a solid sci-fi film, with enough atmosphere and visual wonder to satisfy a curious viewing. Definitely a 8/10*.

(*docked a half point for the Crosby Stills and Nash)


Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 72334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1391, 1392, 1393, 1394, 1395, 1396, 1397 ... 1447  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.