It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 72072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417, 1418, 1419, 1420 ... 1442  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

Takoma1 wrote:
Any excuse to link to Carousel.

What on Earth is this?!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:22 pm

Wooley wrote:
What on Earth is this?!

It's an ad for a Phillips product (HDTV maybe?). But when it came out a lot of people talked about it reminding them of the Batman universe. I love it.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

It's an ad for a Phillips product (HDTV maybe?). But when it came out a lot of people talked about it reminding them of the Batman universe. I love it.

I’ve been a huge fan of it for some time now but never realized it was an ad. I get that it’s more demo footage but I guess the narrowing aspect ratio makes more sense.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:16 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I’ve been a huge fan of it for some time now but never realized it was an ad. I get that it’s more demo footage but I guess the narrowing aspect ratio makes more sense.

I love it--and the fact that it's a great product demo and a great piece of art is really cool.

It's such a great example of concise (wordless!) storytelling.

By-the-by: is your movie trailer (the girl alone in the house) still on YouTube? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:35 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Seriously? I thought it was an actual scene from some movie I'd missed.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:02 am

The Losers - 5/10 - At first glance, this appears to be right up my alley. A shoot-em-up with a decent enough cast featuring Chris Evans, Idris Elba, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Jason Patric and Zoe Saldana. But I never got around to watching since it was released eight years ago. Now I know why. And why it sort of disappeared without much fanfare. The script is made up of mostly tired cliches and the characters are at best stick figures with some not even approaching that much detail.

EDIT: I guess I should say something positive about it since my overall impression is right down the middle. They do give Chris Evans the best lines and he makes the most of it. I also think Jeffrey Dean Morgan is an undiscovered gem as far as actors go. He just needs the right role. Unfortunately this one wasn't it. Idris Elba is wasted though. The end.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am

Well, I try to avoid the use of the dreaded P word when discussing any film but it’s time break the emergency glass and use it because “The Birth of a Nation” (2016) is shockingly pretentious. It’s the kind of vanity project usually only established filmmakers or Neil Breen are allowed to make as Nate Parker wrote, directed and starred in this biopic about Nat Turner. Parker claimed that this was a film that only he could make and that he needed to tell this story of his personal hero. Given the credits and the attempt to reappropriate the title in a film that amounts to a trite biopic that strips a complicated character of all dimensions and canonizes him, the amount of ego and pretense on display here is astounding.

To tell Turner’s story in messianic terms and neglecting to show the women and children he also had butchered is the tell of a dishonest filmmaker and virtually every choice in this film is made to wash the film of complexity and dimension to pander to Parker’s own sense of importance, which he pushes through his playing of Turner. Parker’s ego so clouded his own judgment so much, that there’s no sense of doubt when Turner says he’s been chosen by God.

I don’t know if Parker actually raped that woman but I believe he has an opinion of himself and a propensity for ignoring heinous actions that makes it possible. I also know that this film wasn’t destroyed because of the pre-MeToo accusations.

It was destroyed because it’s an almost artless piece of trash that looks like a Key and Peele sketch that never manages to break out of the straight faced set up. I say “almost” because, almost despite itself, once the rebellion starts nearly an hour and 30 mins into the two hour run time, it manages to create some striking images. Images so good, it makes you wonder where the hell they’d been hiding and if Parker really directed because it didn’t seem like anyone was in the director’s chair at all.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:32 pm

You should check out the Charles Burnett meta-doc Nat Turner: A Troublesome Property, which I believe is still on Prime. It's much lower budget, still a little pretentious in places, and ultimately a film about why it's an impossible story to bring to the screen, for all of the reasons that Parker omitted.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
You should check out the Charles Burnett meta-doc Nat Turner: A Troublesome Property, which I believe is still on Prime. It's much lower budget, still a little pretentious in places, and ultimately a film about why it's an impossible story to bring to the screen, for all of the reasons that Parker omitted.

I’ll check for it. Did you see the Birth of a Nation? It’s crazy to me how well received it was pre-rape allegation and how much that has taken over that it’s a piece of trash.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:20 am

The Hannah Gadsby special on Netflix was something else. I laughed, I cried, I was incredibly angry, I heard her message about the damage of anger. What a voice and what a story.

When she loops back to tell the ending of the story about
the man who confronted her at the bus stop
I got chills. Probably one of my favorite discussions of the mechanics and limitations of comedy, and especially comedy from groups who are more frequently victims of hatred and violence.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:58 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I love it--and the fact that it's a great product demo and a great piece of art is really cool.

It's such a great example of concise (wordless!) storytelling.

By-the-by: is your movie trailer (the girl alone in the house) still on YouTube? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it.

It is. It’s just been buried because nobody watched it. I’m waiting to hear from one last festival before I give up and make the whole thing public. Here it is.https://youtu.be/yqz-F_jA79c

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:29 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It is. It’s just been buried because nobody watched it. I’m waiting to hear from one last festival before I give up and make the whole thing public. Here it is.https://youtu.be/yqz-F_jA79c

Thanks!

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 am

GLOW - Season 1 & 2: 9/10

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:25 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I’ll check for it. Did you see the Birth of a Nation? It’s crazy to me how well received it was pre-rape allegation and how much that has taken over that it’s a piece of trash.

I have seen it, and I wrote a bit about it at RT both before and after. The film was getting some leery reviews among black critics before the backlash kicked in due to some of the more questionable decisions in the film, although some of these correspondend to Parker's predicament ala
his invention of the rape of Turner's wife, which is not based on any historical evidence, because apparently the brutality of slavery wasn't enough of a convincing motivation for Turner's rebellion
. The complexity of Turner's character requires a film that's more morally ambiguous, and that's willing to wrestle with the conflicted implications between slavery and terrorism. Instead, the film is propaganda, much like its namesake (which is still a genius touch, imo), something like a black Braveheart which allows only virtue to be melodramatically depicted in what was in actuality a traumatic spasm spawn by a culture of cruelty. Parker's projected nobility onto Turner only distances ourselves from understanding this pathology in its tragic context.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm working my way through some movies that I have had on my Netflix queue for like 10 years. It's interesting watching films that appealed to my young-20s self.

40 Days and 40 Nights was interesting only in that it was too raunchy to be a typical romantic comedy, and yet too talky to fit in with the Farrelly brothers style films that seemed to get popular in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Overall it was just . . . meh. Hartnett is charming enough in the lead role, Shannyn Sossamon does her best in a really poorly-written role as the main romantic interest.

One thing that really stood out in a negative way is a part at the end where the main character is
raped by his ex-girlfriend and the movie uses this as a plot point but never addresses it afterward. The love interest is mad at his character for this happening--he is upset but it's just never addressed afterward. Just a really unpleasant sequence that the movie feels no need to examine. I thought it was a really irresponsible, and frankly upsetting. It's not even sort of ambiguous like "Oh, he got drunk and slept with her but it was a mistake." No--he's passed out, he's physically restrained, and he asks her to stop and get off of him and she doesn't. The movie doesn't even seem to think this is actually funny, so why . . . ?

5/10

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 pm

The Camden 28 was a decent, if a bit low-budget, doc about the anti-war protest and trial in 1971. The most gripping element is the mother whose one son was killed in Vietnam and whose other son is put on trial for the break-in.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 pm

When judging things on a scale relative to other direct to video action flicks, Accident Man is one of the stronger efforts I’ve seen. It features one of Adkins’s best performances where he shows some actual charisma beyond fight scenes and between this, Savage Dog and Day of Reckoning, think he’s proven himself a more than capable actor that deserves a bigger action franchise or at the very least, a Marvel Netflix show.

The flick itself is an interesting pastiche of Guy Ritchie British Crime and Kill Bill that is hit or miss with its humor (more miss than hit) but just about always delivers with the action sequences. At the end of the day, I just appreciate it when these little flicks are trying and this one tries way harder than most. There’s a two vs. one fight between Michael Jai White, Ray Park and Adkins that feels like a niche audience dream come true (its of no surprise that Adkins co-wrote this one). It also features the best use of Ray Stevenson since Rome.

Now, is it a good movie by most metrics? Hard to say but if you’ve even felt halfway interested in Scott Adkins DTV action flicks, its one of the best you’re going to find

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
When judging things on a scale relative to other direct to video action flicks, Accident Man is one of the stronger efforts I’ve seen. It features one of Adkins’s best performances where he shows some actual charisma beyond fight scenes and between this, Savage Dog and Day of Reckoning, think he’s proven himself a more than capable actor that deserves a bigger action franchise or at the very least, a Marvel Netflix show.

The flick itself is an interesting pastiche of Guy Ritchie British Crime and Kill Bill that is hit or miss with its humor (more miss than hit) but just about always delivers with the action sequences. At the end of the day, I just appreciate it when these little flicks are trying and this one tries way harder than most. There’s a two vs. one fight between Michael Jai White, Ray Park and Adkins that feels like a niche audience dream come true (its of no surprise that Adkins co-wrote this one). It also features the best use of Ray Stevenson since Rome.

Now, is it a good movie by most metrics? Hard to say but if you’ve even felt halfway interested in Scott Adkins DTV action flicks, its one of the best you’re going to find

I enjoyed it, but I felt like anything that wasn't Adkins kicking someone in the face was barely a C-.

I also think that the idea of killers/hitmen having "codes of honor" is such a bunch of crap, so movies that star hitmen characters always annoy me. (The worst is when the main guy will be like "I don't kill women or kids." Oh, okay. So you'll kill an innocent male social worker but you won't kill a woman who, I don't know, is a child molester or a murderer? Please.). And the "hitmen bar" was such a blatant John Wick "homage" that you almost have to admire the gutsiness of the theft.

I agree that the Michael Jai White/Park/Adkins fight was a highlight, especially Jai White constantly trying to diffuse the situation. I thought that he did the best at portraying the sociopathy of these men (and I was as shocked as anyone that he managed to make his "Don't worry, she wasn't
alive when we raped her.
" line at all funny.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:04 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I enjoyed it, but I felt like anything that wasn't Adkins kicking someone in the face was barely a C-.

I also think that the idea of killers/hitmen having "codes of honor" is such a bunch of crap, so movies that star hitmen characters always annoy me. (The worst is when the main guy will be like "I don't kill women or kids." Oh, okay. So you'll kill an innocent male social worker but you won't kill a woman who, I don't know, is a child molester or a murderer? Please.). And the "hitmen bar" was such a blatant John Wick "homage" that you almost have to admire the gutsiness of the theft.

I agree that the Michael Jai White/Park/Adkins fight was a highlight, especially Jai White constantly trying to diffuse the situation. I thought that he did the best at portraying the sociopathy of these men (and I was as shocked as anyone that he managed to make his "Don't worry, she wasn't
alive when we raped her.
" line at all funny.

I don’t disageee with anything you’re saying. I thought that the training segment with the poison/sneeze gag got me pretty good but other than that, most of the humor fell pretty flat. The. Again, I felt that way about Deadpool so I never know if it’s just me or the flick failing.

I feel like I’ve seen the Hitmen Bar concept before John Wick, as I thought it was a tired cliche when I saw that film but I’ll be damned if I can remember where I’d seen it. The “Code of Honor” is always a cop out. It’s just a way to have an anti-hero that won’t make American audiences feel uncomfortable. In fact, I just realized this film cribs the bar and tone very closely to Deadpool, which shares the Code of Honor too.

Jai White always steals these movies. I was disappointed to see his face looks rather chipmunk, Joe Shishido in this flick which makes me worry he’s gotten plastic surgery. The dude clearly has a hard enough time getting roles that his talent warrants but now that he looks funny, I’m worried it’ll be all downhill. Not that Mike Coulter isn’t doing a good job, but I really wanted White for Luke Cage. His ability to sell lines like the one you mentioned (which goes even darker when he talks about the hobos) is pretty dang impressive.

I just don’t get why Hollywood hasn’t given him and Adkins more chances to be bigger stars. There’s an argument White got it and blew it with Spawn but I thought for sure we’d see a Renaissance after Black Dynamite, but here he is in a supporting role in DTV limbo.

At least it’s “better than expected” DTV.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Jai White always steals these movies. I was disappointed to see his face looks rather chipmunk, Joe Shishido in this flick which makes me worry he’s gotten plastic surgery. The dude clearly has a hard enough time getting roles that his talent warrants but now that he looks funny, I’m worried it’ll be all downhill. Not that Mike Coulter isn’t doing a good job, but I really wanted White for Luke Cage. His ability to sell lines like the one you mentioned (which goes even darker when he talks about the hobos) is pretty dang impressive.

I just don’t get why Hollywood hasn’t given him and Adkins more chances to be bigger stars. There’s an argument White got it and blew it with Spawn but I thought for sure we’d see a Renaissance after Black Dynamite, but here he is in a supporting role in DTV limbo.

At least it’s “better than expected” DTV.

I'm cheap as anything, but I rented The Accident Man for $4 on weekend night and I do not regret it.

I loved Black Dynamite and I agree with you that Jai White's timing and presence should have him at least in that solid second-tier action star position. Clearly he just needs to be given all of Ed Skrien's roles, yes?

By the by, this Scott Adkins training montage is one of my favorite things ever. At the 2-minute mark you can see the "kick you once, use the rebound to kick you again" move that is in Accident Man and I had assumed must have been done with wire work. He is so athletic and quick--like a mix of gymnastics and dance. Whatever he lacks in the acting department he more than makes up in terms of sheer, REAL, athleticism.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:33 am

Adkins would be a much bigger deal if he came along 30 years earlier during the era of Seagal and Van Damme.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am

Rock wrote:
Adkins would be a much bigger deal if he came along 30 years earlier during the era of Seagal and Van Damme.

Agreed, but by the same token I like him just about as much as I like, for example, Jason Statham. I don't think there's any reason why he shouldn't be whatever the latest version of The Transporter is.

Also, this morning I watched Trade and was marveling at how well I handed the content, but it has been low-key wearing on me all day. Aside from one or two moments where it was a bit too much (like a shot of a dirty rag doll, symbolism), it hit on a lot of the depressing realities of modern-day sex trafficking. While the ending was (spoilers)
maybe a bit too much of a happy ending, it was very much needed to balance out what came before.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:54 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Agreed, but by the same token I like him just about as much as I like, for example, Jason Statham. I don't think there's any reason why he shouldn't be whatever the latest version of The Transporter is.

Also, this morning I watched Trade and was marveling at how well I handed the content, but it has been low-key wearing on me all day. Aside from one or two moments where it was a bit too much (like a shot of a dirty rag doll, symbolism), it hit on a lot of the depressing realities of modern-day sex trafficking. While the ending was (spoilers)
maybe a bit too much of a happy ending, it was very much needed to balance out what came before.

I’m glad you brought up Transporter because I don’t see why Adkins isn’t as successful as Statham. He’s certainly got a better leading man look and they’re not particularly far apart on acting talent. Why isn’t he in the Fast and Furious flicks? Or fighting a Megalodon?

I don’t think you have to go back 30 years to find comparable careers to what Adkins should have.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:01 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I’m glad you brought up Transporter because I don’t see why Adkins isn’t as successful as Statham. He’s certainly got a better leading man look and they’re not particularly far apart on acting talent. Why isn’t he in the Fast and Furious flicks? Or fighting a Megalodon?

I don’t think you have to go back 30 years to find comparable careers to what Adkins should have.

I think they're remarkably comparable (and I know that this is very superficial, but I feel like Adkins does a slightly better American accent and, like you say, is more classically handsome), and I feel like most of their films they could be swapped. Statham's a bit more burly, but . . . that's about it.

Not to put down Statham, but I'm surprised Adkins isn't better known. I'd heard/read his name a handful of times, but clearly had him confused with another actor, because when I finally actually watched him in something, I was surprised. Again, he's so athletic and he actually moves like someone with physical ability--it's like watching someone who's really great at a sport---and it really separates him from other action B/C-listers who look like they spend a lot of time in the gym but don't look all that spry.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I think they're remarkably comparable (and I know that this is very superficial, but I feel like Adkins does a slightly better American accent and, like you say, is more classically handsome), and I feel like most of their films they could be swapped. Statham's a bit more burly, but . . . that's about it.

Not to put down Statham, but I'm surprised Adkins isn't better known. I'd heard/read his name a handful of times, but clearly had him confused with another actor, because when I finally actually watched him in something, I was surprised. Again, he's so athletic and he actually moves like someone with physical ability--it's like watching someone who's really great at a sport---and it really separates him from other action B/C-listers who look like they spend a lot of time in the gym but don't look all that spry.

Agreed. I honestly think they could replace Affleck with Adkins as Batman and a large amount of the world’s population wouldn’t notice.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:30 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Agreed. I honestly think they could replace Affleck with Adkins as Batman and a large amount of the world’s population wouldn’t notice.

Adkins high five**

**You must complete at least three rotations in the air before the actual high five.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Adkins high five**

**You must complete at least three rotations in the air before the actual high five.

16 aggressive high fives per shot!

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 am

Adkins? As in Trace Adkins? Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time picturing him as Bruce Wayne.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:08 am

Torgo wrote:
Adkins? As in Trace Adkins? Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time picturing him as Bruce Wayne.

You underestimate how goofy comics get:

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:17 am

DaMU wrote:

I remember Jim Emerson made a video that went into detail about how the 180 is frequently violated and entire cars just disappear from the chase. The fact that it's more coherent than much of the action in Batman Begins is sobering.
And speaking of action scenes with Batman, the fact that, despite all the movie's many, many flaws, the warehouse fight in Batman V. Superman is still easily far and away much, MUCH better than any of the Nolan Batfights, or any other live-action hand-to-hand Batman action, for that matter, is also pretty sobering:

But of course, that film's car chase was complete schlock, so it kind of balances out. Still, if only the rest of the film was as good as that one scene, we'd easily be looking at another TDK-level entry, IMHO.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Statham is a good comparison, but I think the fact that he was in Guy Ritchie movies before the Transporter and Crank proved to audiences that he had actual talent and comic timing, which made him an easier sell in his more meatheaded work, especially when he rose up in that post-Tarantino landscape that valued the cynical humour he could pull off so well. Whereas Adkins has had less of a chance to prove himself in that manner (that he's an actual actor and not just a dude who punches and kicks well) and might have done better in an environment when audiences didn't expect action heroes to really "act" and were kinder to those who were defined mostly by their martial arts abilities (although I think Seagal's early movies generally handled his presence well and Van Damme certainly learned to act later).

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Only God Forgives - 7/10 - I rewatched this just to see if the passage of time had mellowed or altered my perception of it. I still love the look of it but it still seems half formed and self consciously artsy. There are flashes of a great movie here and fans of Nicolas Windig Refn will of course cut him some slack. but it's not in the same league as Valhalla Rising, Bronson or Drive and people will still look past it. I need to check out Too Old To Die Young and maybe The Neon Demon.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Pusher II & III would be better choices.

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Verhoeven in the 90s:
(all first-time watches)

BASIC INSTINCT 1992
When I started this project I would not have predicted that this would be my favorite Verhoeven film, but here we are. Loved it. Haven't seen a lot of Stone films but she owns this one. Hitchcock would have liked her, I think.

SHOWGIRLS 1995
When you watch all of his films in sequence, this one seems like a natural progression from his previous films so it's sort of baffling that so many people didn't "get" this one at the time. Granted, it's a film that's easy to poke fun at but it's always watchable and never boring and seems to be in on its own joke. It appears that there's been some reassessment over the years, and I'm not ashamed to say I liked this one too.
It did leave me feeling a bit bad for Berkley. Pretty sure I've never seen her in anything else including Bell, so I can't say how good she normally is, but it just seems unfair that this effectively stalled her career as she's clearly giving her all here, often fully naked. Whether she's dancing, banging, eating fries or closing a door she's got it dialed to 11 at all times. ("Where are you from?" *pounds table* "LOTS OF PLACES!!") Couldn't have been easy for her.

STARSHIP TROOPERS 1997
Don't have a lot to say about this one, but it was fun and I enjoyed all the subtextual goodness underneath. Even if you choose to ignore that, you're left with a decent giant bug movie. Effects look surprisingly good.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Basic Instinct is a pretty good film indeed, that unfortunately usually gets overlooked or dismissed by its seediness and sexuality.

And I loooove Starship Troopers.

To this day, I've never seen Showgirls.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Thief wrote:
And I loooove Starship Troopers.

It strikes me as having an insane rewatch factor.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 pm

I don't know that I love Showgirls like some do. mostly I left it appreciating what Verhoeven was attempting with that big slab of Eszterhas. and it is a pretty damning portrayal of The American Dream and that's worth some praise.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I don't know that I love Showgirls like some do. mostly I left it appreciating what Verhoeven was attempting with that big slab of Eszterhas. and it is a pretty damning portrayal of The American Dream and that's worth some praise.

Yeah, I didn't "love" it and I think some have gone overboard in their praise, possibly overcompensating for its bad rep. But I did enjoy it and it seems to me that anyone reviewing films in '95 could've seen that this was not so far removed from his previous work. Like was Berkley honestly any more absurd than Arnold was in Total Recall?

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
It strikes me as having an insane rewatch factor.

It does. I saw it back in the day, when I was a teen and loved it for its slick sci-fi and ultra-violent surface. 20 years and probably a dozen rewatches later and I still love it, although for entirely different reasons.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 am

Showgirls is simultaneously Verhoeven's best and worst film. It transcends true categorization as a "best of the worst" or a great film. It has all the elements of greatness and ineptitude rolled into one. It is the Nic Cage of movies.

In a separate note, I watched Twilight Samurai and the Valachi Papers. I loved the former and enjoyed the latter. TS was the Crouching Tiger of chanbara films and focused on emotional brutality rather than sword play. Both of those can be compared to Age of Innocence more than most of their chanbara/wuxia counterparts.

Valachi Papets just clearly wasn't helped by releasing the same year as the Godfather. It's a damn good classicist update of the gangster pic of the 30s, done up with fairly shocking violence and nudity (especially for a PG rating). Bronson is miscast but Young carries the film well. It's also easy to blame Young's directing style.for feeling antiquated compared to Godfather but it is clear that he's just operating in that 30s era. If this has come out a decade earlier, it would be a proper classic. I also think, perhaps because it was produced by Laurentis, that this feels more influential to poliziotteschi than the Godfather. So there's that.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:07 am

I took my nephew to see Starship Troopers. Afterwards on our way home he said he thought it was "better than Star Wars". Not that he enjoyed it more than Star Wars. It was "better than Star Wars". We haven't spoken since.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 am

The Gumball Rally - 7/10 - This was released in 1976, five years before The Cannonball Run. A far more successful movie which more or less eclipsed this. I remember seeing this years and years back and it's actually not that bad. The only recognizable stars are Raul Julia and Gary Busey but there are any number of 70's mainstays in it like Michael Sarrazin (I was going to ask whatever became of the guy but he passed away in 2011) and Steven Bauer. Both this and TCR were directed by former stunt coordinators and in this case the car chases/crashes are the best part of the film. Unfortunately he (Chuck Bail) also had a hand in writing it. Watch it if you're really into the whole 70's era genre.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:37 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I took my nephew to see Starship Troopers. Afterwards on our way home he said he thought it was "better than Star Wars". Not that he enjoyed it more than Star Wars. It was "better than Star Wars". We haven't spoken since.

C'mon you, ape! You want to live forever?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:04 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Only God Forgives - 7/10 - I rewatched this just to see if the passage of time had mellowed or altered my perception of it. I still love the look of it but it still seems half formed and self consciously artsy. There are flashes of a great movie here and fans of Nicolas Windig Refn will of course cut him some slack. but it's not in the same league as Valhalla Rising, Bronson or Drive and people will still look past it. I need to check out Too Old To Die Young and maybe The Neon Demon.

I loved it, but it's the kinda movie that is just made for me.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:48 am

Wooley wrote:
I loved it, but it's the kinda movie that is just made for me.

This is my opinion as well. I would never think to push it on anyone who I don't think it is already tailor made for. Which is probably almost no one.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 am

crumbsroom wrote:

This is my opinion as well. I would never think to push it on anyone who I don't think it is already tailor made for. Which is probably almost no one.

Just the three of us. Making dick fists in the sky. Just the three of us. You and you and I.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:11 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Just the three of us. Making dick fists in the sky. Just the three of us. You and you and I.

I'd bump dick fists with you, if that wasn't something way too intimate for me to even consider.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:15 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I'd bump dick fists with you, if that wasn't something way too intimate for me to even consider.

I'd get frustrated at my inability to bump dick fists with you.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:

Depending on the age of your nephew at the time, I would understand. It has everything a recent-teen could want: gore, boobs, smashy smashy space booms.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 am

DaMU wrote:
gore, boobs, smashy smashy space booms.

Some dating profiles just write themselves, don't they?

I just finished Demon (2015) and thought it was pretty good. More supernatural drama than horror, though it certainly has some memorable and horrifying imagery. On Prime and highly recommended.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 72072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417, 1418, 1419, 1420 ... 1442  Next