It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 72109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433 ... 1443  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

Skyscraper B-

The Rock seems to love making these leave your brain/sense of logic at the door movies. But then who cares when you're getting paid top dollar to act against a green screen most of your career. This is like Die Hard in a building...wait a minute.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:17 am

Her Alibi has Paulina Porizkova in a bath towel.

But, yeah, Tom Selleck, uh...

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I liked Quigley Down Under for the most part. Laura San Giacomo goes a little too heavy on the crazy but Alan Rickman is gold and Selleck made for a really convincing rugged outdoorsman type. I also recommend his Sackett movies with Sam Elliot. It's almost too much manliness to handle.

Exactly. Also exactly what Chamberlain failed to do with his glued on beard. If that beard was real, he grows hair they model for the Sitwells.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:13 am

Death Proof wrote:

I love that movie. We're pretty much at that point with our technology now, too. Robots for security/farming/cleaning, drones, heat-seeking bullets... all we need is Gene Simmons turning supervillain and we've got the whole thing.

Yeah, I've always really liked that movie. Taped it off of HBO back in the day and watched it all the time, Ramsey.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, I've always really liked that movie. Taped it off of HBO back in the day and watched it all the time, Ramsey.

"That wasn't very nice, Ramsey!"

You know why it didn't do well in the theater, right? The Terminator came out three months before it and people were more into seeing a robotic endoskeleton than a bunch of little square-shaped robots.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:50 pm

If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd - 8/10 - I guess your reaction to this 95 minute documentary will vary according to how much of a fan you are of the band's music. It's an authorized biography so there's plenty of input from surviving band members and family along with a lot of never before seen footage. The biggest problem I had with it was the muddy quality of the sound mixing, which is ironic considering it's subject matter. You'll end up having to use the closed captioning feature if it's available, otherwise the background music drowns out the people talking. But it is a comprehensive portrait of the band, it's evolution and their ultimately tragic end.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:31 am

Let's not forget The Last Wave, probably my favorite film with Richard Chamberlain, followed not too far by The Music Lovers where he played Tchaikovsky (considered a brave role before what we now know).

Granted these are very different roles than Allan Quartermain, but he's fine in more mild-mannered fare. And as far as actors who look like goats go, Chamberlain is definitely preferable to (urgh!) some kind of Peter Fonda or Andrew Prine or some other godawful beast.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:46 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Let's not forget The Last Wave, probably my favorite film with Richard Chamberlain, followed not too far by The Music Lovers where he played Tchaikovsky (considered a brave role before what we now know).

Granted these are very different roles than Allan Quartermain, but he's fine in more mild-mannered fare. And as far as actors who look like goats go, Chamberlain is definitely preferable to (urgh!) some kind of Peter Fonda or Andrew Prine or some other godawful beast.

Which is my point. I'm saying the guy doesn't have "star quality" or natural charisma needed for the role. Not that he's terrible in all roles.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:58 am

Jinnistan wrote:
And as far as actors who look like goats go, Chamberlain is definitely preferable to (urgh!) some kind of Peter Fonda or Andrew Prine or some other godawful beast.

I don't think I've seen a single Tom Selleck movie, but I'm glad we circled back to the conclusion that Peter Fonda sucks.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am

Death Proof wrote:

"That wasn't very nice, Ramsey!"

You know why it didn't do well in the theater, right? The Terminator came out three months before it and people were more into seeing a robotic endoskeleton than a bunch of little square-shaped robots.

Dude, the spiders were the shit.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:00 am

Rock wrote:
I don't think I've seen a single Tom Selleck movie, but I'm glad we circled back to the conclusion that Peter Fonda sucks.

I didn't mind him in Easy Rider or Race with the Devil. *Shrugs*

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am

He's fine in Easy Rider because he doesn't open his mouth.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 am

Rock wrote:

He really can't act a lick. It's weird, his dad was so gifted and his sister, honestly, really is pretty good too. But he is awful.
And you're right, he works in Easy Rider because he has the right look and he hardly says a word.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:56 am

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

I recall liking Peter Fonda in The Limey, but I don't remember much about his performance; I just remember him looking like the human embodiment of LA sleaziness.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Macrology wrote:
I recall liking Peter Fonda in The Limey, but I don't remember much about his performance; I just remember him looking like the human embodiment of LA sleaziness.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

American Animals C

I only watched this for Barry Keoghan and Ann Dowd. Both were good but the film itself was average and way too derivative. Not only did it reference Tarantino a few times but it even felt like a Tarantino film. Not bad but not good enough.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:53 pm

Fonda's best performance was probably in Ulee's Gold. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of his stuff but what I have caught was mostly him coasting on Easy Rider nostalgia.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:30 am

Finally started adopting Blu-Ray this year, around ten years late to the party. :)

Largely because there are a few places near me that sell used Blus for very cheap.

Most recently grabbed E.T. this past week for $5, largely because I rewatched it last year and had an almost epiphanic reaction to it. With the benefit of time and distance and watching so many more movies since seeing it as a child, I was shocked, shocked by how effortless and lovely the whole thing played. It's like some sort of Platonic ideal of cinematic storytelling clarity.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 am

Going back to my viewing of American Animals I'm quite appalled at the constant referencing and ripping off of Quentin Tarantino films that still prevails to this day. When Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction came out, as well as other widely hailed directors of the time including Spike Lee, Steven Soderbergh, Wes Anderson and Paul Thomas Anderson it hailed a new renaissance for independent filmmaking. Sure there were rip-offs but mostly it was a great thing for cinema. However these days I really wonder if Tarantino's impact on filmmaking was really that much of a positive thing. The knock offs still continue to happen and I even see it in filmmakers first short films. Every once in a while you still see Scorsese's influence on film and TV (watch Narcos and it's like Scorsese-lite) but it doesn't happen all the time and for the most part director's reference him wisely. Anyway, with all this talk about the upcoming Tarantino film I was just curious what people thought about his overall influence on Hollywood.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:19 am

The Sand, 2015 (B-)

It starts very strong with a pretty original premise, but it packs so much dumb and the last act is not that good at all.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:28 am

DaMU wrote:
Finally started adopting Blu-Ray this year, around ten years late to the party. :)

Largely because there are a few places near me that sell used Blus for very cheap.

Most recently grabbed E.T. this past week for $5, largely because I rewatched it last year and had an almost epiphanic reaction to it. With the benefit of time and distance and watching so many more movies since seeing it as a child, I was shocked, shocked by how effortless and lovely the whole thing played. It's like some sort of Platonic ideal of cinematic storytelling clarity.

I had a different reaction to my recent rewatch of E.T..

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:41 am

ski petrol wrote:
Going back to my viewing of American Animals I'm quite appalled at the constant referencing and ripping off of Quentin Tarantino films that still prevails to this day.

Is that to say that American Animals cribs liberally from City on Fire?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:12 am

Ergill!
Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I'll have to revisit it again once it comes out on DVD to confirm this, because I honestly don't remember her disappearing, but if so, did that occur after she broke up with Ron when he revealed he was a cop? If that's the case, I can kind of understand why she'd be in the film less, so I can't say I was bothered with that aspect. Glad you liked the film though.

Out of curiosity, what would you say your favorite film of this year is so far? Personally, I can't decide, but this one is definitely up there for me.

During the 2nd half of the film, the only scene I can remember her appearing in before the climax was the short, somewhat pointless chat she had with Stallworth about their favorite Blaxploitation movies, so she was mostly and (noticably) absent from that portion of KkKlansman, and she never broke up with Stallworth during the film, so there's no reason for her character to be missing from so much of it later on.
So like I said, that was a moderate-sized problem for me with the film, but certainly not enough for me not to like the film as a whole, which was quite good otherwise. As for my favorite film of the year so far, I haven't been able to see as much as I would've liked to, so Black Panther is still my #1 :oops: I still really like it, though! As for the ones I missed, I really meant to see First Reformed (among others) in theaters, but I never got the chance, so I'll have to check it out at home sometime, unfortunately.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 am

Stu wrote:
During the 2nd half of the film, the only scene I can remember her appearing in before the climax was the short, somewhat pointless chat she had with Stallworth about their favorite Blaxploitation movies, so she was mostly and (noticably) absent from that portion of KkKlansman, and she never broke up with Stallworth during the film, so there's no reason for her character to be missing from so much of it later on.
So like I said, that was a moderate-sized problem for me with the film, but certainly not enough for me not to like the film as a whole, which was quite good otherwise. As for my favorite film of the year so far, I haven't been able to see as much as I would've liked to, so Black Panther is still my #1 :oops: I still really like it, though! As for the ones I missed, I really meant to see First Reformed (among others) in theaters, but I never got the chance, so I'll have to check it out at home sometime, unfortunately.

Once it comes out on DVD, I'll keep your critique in mind, because you may be right about her disappearing. I'm trying to remember how much time passed between the Blaxpoitation scene and the part she broke up with him, but I'm not quite sure. She did break up with him though. Don't you remember the scene when he admitted to her he was a cop? That's what caused it. Also, it was hinted at the end that they weren't going to get back together as she wanted him to leave the police force, something he was reluctant to do. Regardless of how much time passed though, I wouldn't say my connection to her was lacking by the time her life was in danger. I still wanted him to save her. So, even if she did leave the film for a long time, I can't see that plot point weakening the film for me.

Black Panther wouldn't be a possibility for one of my top picks of this year, but I still thought it was really good. I haven't seen a lot of films as well. I have a habit of slacking when it comes to catching up on new films. The fact that I'm going to college in a few days doesn't really help that as well. Although, I'll be home for 2 weeks during Christmas time, so I hope to catch up during that time.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:40 am

Hey Popcorn, did you see Isle of Dogs yet? That's my favorite so far.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:42 am

I liked Black Panther well enough but it didn't blow me away. On the other hand I thought Infinity War was superb. Not only is it funny and thrilling but it leaves you hanging and waiting for part 2. I really want to see BlacKkKlansman, Sorry To Bother You, Love Simon, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (coming to Netflix!) and Yorgos Lanthimos upcoming The Favourite.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am

ski petrol wrote:
Hey Popcorn, did you see Isle of Dogs yet? That's my favorite so far.

Yes, I loved it. It's a strong contender for my top pick.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am

I also want to see First Reformed. It's suppose to be Paul Schrader's best work in many years.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:49 am

Black Panther isn't even the best film with Black in it's title this year.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

I still like Black Panther a lot, but yeah, I agree.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:42 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Agreed.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:53 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Black Panther wouldn't be a possibility for one of my top picks of this year, but I still thought it was really good. I haven't seen a lot of films as well. I have a habit of slacking when it comes to catching up on new films. The fact that I'm going to college in a few days doesn't really help that as well. Although, I'll be home for 2 weeks during Christmas time, so I hope to catch up during that time.

If your college experience is anything like mine was, you'll have plenty of time to catch up on movies.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:10 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Maybe, but that's hardly fair.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:11 am

Wooley wrote:
If your college experience is anything like mine was, you'll have plenty of time to catch up on movies.

Well, all I can do is hope for the best.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:46 am

DaMU wrote:

Agreed.

I eagerly looked this up only to be disappointed it's not directed by John Hyams.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Unfriended, 2014, 2nd watch (B)

Not unpleasant to watch, but mostly devoid of tensions. There's one nice, long, sustained intense part, but the movie is mostly not that scary and it gets annoying how many audio and video glitches these kids are getting. Good acting though.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:08 am

Captain Fantastic - 8/10 - I started this with the intention of stopping if it didn't engage me but I ended up enjoying it. Every Viggo Mortenson movie I've watched I've liked. He's an underrated actor. The subject matter sounded kind of iffy. Non conformist hippie type raising his children in the wilds of Oregon. But the plot drew me in. The young actors playing his kids were uniformly memorable and Frank Langella was his usual dependable self in a supporting but integral role.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 pm

If I Leave Here Tomorrow

Been hearing how great this documentary about Lynyrd Skynyrd is, and I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, but the documentary actually seemed to spend too little time on the musical aspects of the band and... I don't know, the whole thing fell kinda flat for me. They were a great band, but all I really came away with was how great Ronnie was and then it all fell apart. Great, but I thought there was a lot more to the "why it worked" part we shoulda seen.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Got to see Easy Rider again tonight after many, many years, and honestly, it seemed BETTER to me than I remembered.
I look forward to revisiting it yet again (I musta watched it a dozen times or more when I was a teenager) when I am not as wasted as I was tonight.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Wooley wrote:
If I Leave Here TomorrowBeen hearing how great this documentary about Lynyrd Skynyrd is, and I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, but the documentary actually seemed to spend too little time on the musical aspects of the band and... I don't know, the whole thing fell kinda flat for me. They were a great band, but all I really came away with was how great Ronnie was and then it all fell apart. Great, but I thought there was a lot more to the "why it worked" part we shoulda seen.
I thought they did as good a job as they could have regarding the band's evolution from the core members high school days to playing sold out stadiums. Granted it might have been able to delve deeper but for an hour and a half documentary it did a good enough job. Did you have a problem following the interviews? Maybe the recording I watched was faulty but then I read a couple of reviews where they had the same problem with the audio.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I thought they did as good a job as they could have regarding the band's evolution from the core members high school days to playing sold out stadiums. Granted it might have been able to delve deeper but for an hour and a half documentary it did a good enough job. Did you have a problem following the interviews? Maybe the recording I watched was faulty but then I read a couple of reviews where they had the same problem with the audio.

I don't remember having any audio issues, actually. I think I saw somebody mention it but I got lucky.
Yeah, I don't really know what it was that I felt like was missing, it just felt like something was missing to me. I watch a lot of music documentaries and I just can't quite say this was on par with other good ones I've seen like Muscle Shoals, The Wrecking Crew, 20 Feet, The Eagles, or even Kansas: Miracles Out Of Nowhere (and I'm really not much of a Kansas fan).
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood?

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:02 am

The Little Stranger is an aggressively slow movie that I suspect would go lovely with a nice bottle of wine. It's like wading into a very depressing bath. Which is entirely my thing. Also has an oddly timely point about men.

Twist could have been handled a little better. There are a couple of scenes that make it obvious if you're paying attention but they hold out for the final shot.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey guys, can one not post gifs in here? I'm working on the Pre-October Extravaganza thread and had a gif that needed to be posted in my writeup of Megaforce and I couldn't get it to work any way I could think of.
Any help?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 am

Wooley wrote:
Hey guys, can one not post gifs in here? I'm working on the Pre-October Extravaganza thread and had a gif that needed to be posted in my writeup of Megaforce and I couldn't get it to work any way I could think of.
Any help?

How are you doing it?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 am

Death Proof wrote:

How are you doing it?

Well, I tried putting the link in Img, then Flash, then URL tools but none of that worked. I don't see any other tools that look like it would have anything to do with it.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 am

Wooley wrote:
Well, I tried putting the link in Img, then Flash, then URL tools but none of that worked. I don't see any other tools that look like it would have anything to do with it.

Where do you host your stuff? I use Imageshack.

Yeah, I just hit the IMG tag and paste my link in there.

What happens when you try it?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:02 am

Death Proof wrote:

Where do you host your stuff? I use Imageshack.

Yeah, I just hit the IMG tag and paste my link in there.

What happens when you try it?

Imgur

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:14 am

Wooley wrote:
Imgur

Are you using the actual share links, or just the URL in the address bar?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 am

Rock wrote:
Are you using the actual share links, or just the URL in the address bar?

"Direct Link"?

Edit:
Got it. Thanks.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 72109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433 ... 1443  Next