It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441, 1442, 1443  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth - 4/10 - Hammer studios decided to try and cash in on the success of One Million Years B.C by trying to release this a year later. The animation wasn't ready so they had to settle for a 1970 release. No Raquel Welch but they doubled down (see what I did there?) on the heaving (but mostly bouncy) bosoms. Lots and lots of bouncing. This time they belonged to Victoria Vetri. She had a small role in Rosemary's Baby but we all probably know her best as Gary Seven's shapeshifting cat/companion in the Star Trek episode Assignment: Earth (interesting sidenote: She's currently serving time in California for the attempted murder of her husband). This was obviously the non-censored European version because it had a couple of nude scenes. The stop motion animation by Jim Danforth earned Hammer studios it's first and only Academy Award nomination. The made up caveman language grows tiresome over the course of the almost two hour movie but the creature effects are first rate.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:11 am

Beastly, 2011 (C)

It's a weird movie. It's terribly written and severely under-directed, but it's still fun to watch, though not the kind of bad movie you feel like rewatching. There isn't a single emotional scene that works. The movie has no rhythm, no flow and nothing transitions smoothly. It replaces almost everything that should be emotional with shitty montages, for one. There's also that weird thing, mostly early on where what's in focus in a scene is completely dissonant with what's going on in the background, like two people having a hostile talk and no one knows how to react. This is also one of the worst teenagers-play-adult trope I've ever seen. I think it's because nothing seems like a high school except for one scene at the end, but it's really jarring at the beginning how everyone is acting like teenagers when no one there is below 25. Pettyfer and his dad are so heavy-handed, especially at the beginning. Like parodies of parodies of parodies of a douchebag rich teenager and shitty father

Just like Twilight, which this is clearly in the vein of, the best part is the supporting cast. Harris and Hamilton aren't too bad and the Olsen witch actress is neat, though we don't see much of her at all; like 3 scenes maybe.

Surprise appearance by Dakota Johnson.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:53 am

wigwam wrote:
Suspiria remake is greatest film of all time, Im on my way to see it for the third time in as many days, cannot get enough

Well that sounds promising.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 am

Bohemian Rhapsody was good. It's basically about Freddie Mercury. The most interesting stuff was the band making the songs and they didn't spend a lot of time on that. Rami kills it as Freddie. He'll probably get nominated for it. They could have edited it to make it a bit tighter. Also they altered the facts about the Live Aid concert which affects it's impact if you know the truth. Still I enjoyed it a ot and it was good movie to see in Dolby.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 pm
Profile YIM

Annihilation is pretty amazing. Remember the line in Snake Eyes where Nicolas Cage says "this is the man whose life I want" to Gary Sinise? That's how I feel about Alex Garland: if I was a filmmaker, I'd also want to be in a position where I could make sci-fi movies that excel at being thought-provoking as much as they do at providing genre thrills, not to mention with as much visual splendor, complexity and intimacy. This one takes us on a journey through the Shimmer, a zone not unlike the "Zone" in Stalker in that it was also formed by an object from space. From its odd plant life to its even stranger animals, it's a place where the laws of nature have completely shifted in a way that manifests its tendency towards self-destruction. Natalie Portman's character is a biologist and ex-soldier who leads a squad of four women to investigate the Shimmer, and coincidentally, everyone in the squad is coping with a life situation that typically results in self-destructive behavior. During their journey, they learn that self-destruction may be more of a transformative force than a deleterious one. Besides Stalker, this movie has similarities to The Thing and Melancholia, but while it shares those movies' puzzle-box qualities and ominous atmospheres, it's unique enough in its themes and style to stand on its own. While I admire its chamber piece-like intimacy, I also wish the cake had a bit more frosting, if you will. The scary moments are very good, including one in a darkened, abandoned house that's one of the most thrilling scenes of the year, but in the same way you wouldn't want to have only one day to visit New York or London, I feel like my stay in the Shimmer was short-lived. Thankfully, this movie has something important in common with the ones I compared it to: it concludes in a way that's as enthralling as it is baffling.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:27 am

Bohemian Rhapsody

A fair portrayal of Freddie Mercury and Queen, but just doesn't quite deliver. Fair writing (there are more subtle ways to indicate someone is gay than adding "darling" to every other sentence) but wonderful casting and acting, especially from the band. Mike Myers feels shoehorned in. I was disappointed in how some aspects of the band's music was glossed over, like contributing to two of the best soundtracks ever plus I was looking forward to seeing who they cast as David Bowie, only to find that they never covered "Under Pressure" not being recorded. Singer does an amazing job of reproducing nearly all of Queen's Live Aid set. Then they gloss over the last five years of Freddie's life, wrapping it up with a couple of sentences. I never got the knockout punch that I was expecting.

If Rami Malek doesn't get an Oscar nomination for this, however, then there is no God.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 am

Torgo wrote:
Annihilation is pretty amazing. Remember the line in Snake Eyes where Nicolas Cage says "this is the man whose life I want" to Gary Sinise? That's how I feel about Alex Garland: if I was a filmmaker, I'd also want to be in a position where I could make sci-fi movies that excel at being thought-provoking as much as they do at providing genre thrills, not to mention with as much visual splendor, complexity and intimacy. This one takes us on a journey through the Shimmer, a zone not unlike the "Zone" in Stalker in that it was also formed by an object from space. From its odd plant life to its even stranger animals, it's a place where the laws of nature have completely shifted in a way that manifests its tendency towards self-destruction. Natalie Portman's character is a biologist and ex-soldier who leads a squad of four women to investigate the Shimmer, and coincidentally, everyone in the squad is coping with a life situation that typically results in self-destructive behavior. During their journey, they learn that self-destruction may be more of a transformative force than a deleterious one. Besides Stalker, this movie has similarities to The Thing and Melancholia, but while it shares those movies' puzzle-box qualities and ominous atmospheres, it's unique enough in its themes and style to stand on its own. While I admire its chamber piece-like intimacy, I also wish the cake had a bit more frosting, if you will. The scary moments are very good, including one in a darkened, abandoned house that's one of the most thrilling scenes of the year, but in the same way you wouldn't want to have only one day to visit New York or London, I feel like my stay in the Shimmer was short-lived. Thankfully, this movie has something important in common with the ones I compared it to: it concludes in a way that's as enthralling as it is baffling.

Yeah, this one was pretty great. I've been meaning to rewatch it. Gotta get to that.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 am

Death Proof wrote:
Bohemian Rhapsody

A fair portrayal of Freddie Mercury and Queen, but just doesn't quite deliver. Fair writing (there are more subtle ways to indicate someone is gay than adding "darling" to every other sentence) but wonderful casting and acting, especially from the band. Mike Myers feels shoehorned in. I was disappointed in how some aspects of the band's music was glossed over, like contributing to two of the best soundtracks ever plus I was looking forward to seeing who they cast as David Bowie, only to find that they never covered "Under Pressure" not being recorded. Singer does an amazing job of reproducing nearly all of Queen's Live Aid set. Then they gloss over the last five years of Freddie's life, wrapping it up with a couple of sentences. I never got the knockout punch that I was expecting.

If Rami Malek doesn't get an Oscar nomination for this, however, then there is no God.

Did you find the studio stuff was the most interesting stuff out of it? I wanted to see more insight into how they made their songs. I thought that was way more interesting than the Freddie love triangle.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Did you find the studio stuff was the most interesting stuff out of it? I wanted to see more insight into how they made their songs. I thought that was way more interesting than the Freddie love triangle.

Yes... and like I said, I was disappointed they glossed over some of it, like the Flash Gordon soundtrack or working with Bowie. I really wanted to see that.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 am

Death Proof wrote:

Yes... and like I said, I was disappointed they glossed over some of it, like the Flash Gordon soundtrack or working with Bowie. I really wanted to see that.

They glossed over a lot. I can see why Sascha Baron Cohen dropped out. They basically "Disney-fied" their whole career. Also doesn't help that they gave him AIDS in the move 2 years before he actually had it so it gave the Live-Aid performance a bit more emotional hit. Still I enjoyed it. Seeing and hearing it in Dolby theater was so good.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
They glossed over a lot. I can see why Sascha Baron Cohen dropped out. They basically "Disney-fied" their whole career. Also doesn't help that they gave him AIDS in the move 2 years before he actually had it so it gave the Live-Aid performance a bit more emotional hit. Still I enjoyed it. Seeing and hearing it in Dolby theater was so good.

Oh, it sounded great. I'd be surprised BH didn't get a nomination for best sound mixing. I wasn't really aware of when he got AIDS, when he told the band, and so forth, but I guess ignorance is bliss.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Torgo wrote:

Liked this a lot when I saw it a few months ago and wouldn't mind revisiting it. Like you said, it has some problems and isn't the most balanced piece of work, but what it does well it does so well that it makes up for it.

The bear!

:shock:

:polar:

Not sure if you've read the books but I would recommend them as they're pretty quick reads. The first one is definitely the best and most atmospheric. The second one is the weakest, but I think it approaches the material from an interesting enough angle and is fairly painless due to its length.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 pm

“You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger” was lesser Allen. Even with his weaker films, there’s usually a thought that motivated him to make the film amusing or interesting and this one is no different, though all of which is at the end of the film so I can’t talk about it without spoiling.

So... it was fine.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Rock wrote:
Liked this a lot when I saw it a few months ago and wouldn't mind revisiting it. Like you said, it has some problems and isn't the most balanced piece of work, but what it does well it does so well that it makes up for it.

The bear!

:shock:

:polar:

Not sure if you've read the books but I would recommend them as they're pretty quick reads. The first one is definitely the best and most atmospheric. The second one is the weakest, but I think it approaches the material from an interesting enough angle and is fairly painless due to its length.

Yep, I was referring to the bear scene. That it screamed with Sheppard's voice and looked like a Super Metroid boss means it will haunt my dreams for a while.
I'll check out the books, especially since the entire trilogy counts as one book at Audible. Pretty sweet deal.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - 8.5/10

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:40 am

Torgo wrote:
Yep, I was referring to the bear scene. That it screamed with Sheppard's voice and looked like a Super Metroid boss means it will haunt my dreams for a while.
I'll check out the books, especially since the entire trilogy counts as one book at Audible. Pretty sweet deal.

And it also counts as 3 if you're doing the Goodreads challenge!

Fuck, I'm falling behind on mine, after being ahead for like half the year. Goddamn Chinua Achebe.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Angel Face was a fairly decent noir tale that was lifted up by a very strong third act. It flirts with melodrama and for a time, I felt like I had put on a poor choice to kickstart my noir-vember but once the third act hits, it holds palpable dread, tension and melancholy. Robert Mitchum is just such an enigmatic presence on screen and while he doesn't have nearly as much to do here as in say Out of the Past or Cape Fear, he does lend depth and feeling to a character that would have come.off as shallow in less sure hands. It's not as good as the the other Premenger noir that I've seen, Gilda, but it turned out to be just what I was looking for.

Also rewatched the Lady from Shanghai. Orson Welles' talent behind the camera was the inverse of his ability to do an Irish accent.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:06 pm

God's Not Dead, 2014 (F)

Aside from the production values, everything in this movie is bad. Every non Christian is written as if by an angry teenager with a grudge. That philosophy professor, holy shit.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:33 am

Q (The Winged Serpent) - 7/10 - As far as directing goes I've now seen four of Larry Cohen's films (It's Alive, The Stuff, God Told Me To and Q:TWS) and liked all of them. They all share the same trait in that they're unlike any other movie you're likely to see. Not exactly trailblazing or singularly brilliant but... kinda gonzo. And...well, it's like he doesn't really give a shit if you like it or not. He's not pandering to any one audience. Not even horror aficionados for the most part. I guess Cohen specializes in cult films without really setting out to. He's also been the screenwriter for numerous movies I remember really liking like Carrie, The Big Bus and S.P.Y.S. This made me want to rewatch all of them and also check out his recent documentary King Cohen: The Wild World of Filmmaker Larry Cohen. And, even though I avoided his blaxploitation flicks, I'm really curious to watch Bone with Yaphet Kotto.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 am

Charles wrote:
God's Not Dead, 2014 (F)

Aside from the production values, everything in this movie is bad. Every non Christian is written as if by an angry teenager with a grudge. That philosophy professor, holy shit.

It's one of the most hateful films I've ever seen.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:32 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Q (The Winged Serpent) - 7/10 - As far as directing goes I've now seen four of Larry Cohen's films (It's Alive, The Stuff, God Told Me To and Q:TWS) and liked all of them. They all share the same trait in that they're unlike any other movie you're likely to see. Not exactly trailblazing or singularly brilliant but... kinda gonzo. And...well, it's like he doesn't really give a shit if you like it or not. He's not pandering to any one audience. Not even horror aficionados for the most part. I guess Cohen specializes in cult films without really setting out to. He's also been the screenwriter for numerous movies I remember really liking like Carrie, The Big Bus and S.P.Y.S. This made me want to rewatch all of them and also check out his recent documentary King Cohen: The Wild World of Filmmaker Larry Cohen. And, even though I avoided his blaxploitation flicks, I'm really curious to watch Bone with Yaphet Kotto.

Bone is great. Next to God Told Me to, my favorite Cohen.

Also Ambulance is one of his forgotten good ones. And Deadly Illusion is fun enough to give a shot.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:

One of my favorites.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:18 am

Cohen is slowly creepin' up my horror/scifi favorites list. Like you said, he's gonzo and unapologetically so, and that gives his films a real ragged energy, where you're never quite sure where they're going to take you. They're also very funny.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 pm

I haven't seen a lot of Cohen, but I'll vouch for The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
And Deadly Illusion is fun enough to give a shot.

It's also possible I'm confusing this one with another movie, and this is actually longer than it should be and mostly boring.

Even still, probably still worth giving a shot.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm all about Cohen's Black Caesar and it's sequel Hell Up in Harlem. They are probably the best lead roles that Fres Williamson was offered and he makes full use of the opportunity.

Cohen also wrote the Maniac Cop movies. I love me some Maniac Cop.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:12 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Cohen also wrote the Maniac Cop movies.

I don't think I knew this.

I'm so proud of Larry, right now.

So talented.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm

I should also really see Black Caesar at some point.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I should also really see Black Caesar at some point.

Aside from being really good, it's also got a sweet James Brown soundtrack.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Q (The Winged Serpent) - 7/10 - As far as directing goes I've now seen four of Larry Cohen's films (It's Alive, The Stuff, God Told Me To and Q:TWS) and liked all of them. They all share the same trait in that they're unlike any other movie you're likely to see. Not exactly trailblazing or singularly brilliant but... kinda gonzo. And...well, it's like he doesn't really give a shit if you like it or not. He's not pandering to any one audience. Not even horror aficionados for the most part. I guess Cohen specializes in cult films without really setting out to.

I'm a fan.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
I'm all about Cohen's Black Caesar and it's sequel Hell Up in Harlem. They are probably the best lead roles that Fres Williamson was offered and he makes full use of the opportunity.

Yes, both of these are pretty top-shelf blaxploitation.

Also, Best Seller is another good Cohen script.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:49 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I don't think I knew this.

I'm so proud of Larry, right now.

So talented.

He also wrote Lustig's Uncle Sam. Take from that what you will.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:58 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

He also wrote Lustig's Uncle Sam. Take from that what you will.

William Lustig directed Uncle Sam!?!

So excited.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Wooley wrote:
I'm a fan.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Outlaw King- This is kind of a spiritual sequel to Braveheart as it has the same players but it takes place after. Very well directed by David McKenzie who directed Hell or High Water. I was kind of suprised that the reception this initially got. But then I read that David Mckenzie went back and removed 20 minutes from the movie and boy you can tell this helps the pace. The movie moves along. Everyone does a great job the standout being Aaron Taylor Johnson's James Douglas. Very brutal but funny performance.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:26 am
Profile YIM

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard - 5/10 - I laughed maybe once or twice. I appreciated the nonstop attempts at unseemly but they just couldn't pull it off. There's a lot of comedic talent on the screen, among them Kathryn Hahn (who I've always found so fucking hot) David Koetchner, Ving Rhames, Ed Helms, Ken Jeong, Tony Hale, Rob Riggle and Craig Robinson. And even the ones you don't normally associate with it like James Brolin are willing. But the star is Jeremy Piven and his presence pretty much runs counter to all that. Bottom line: I'm pretty sure watching this movie will give you herpes.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention that is a Gary Sanchez production so Will Ferrell of course shows up in a small cameo. Even he doesn't really help all that much.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 am

Silence - 8/10 - I guess this was the antiviral to counter watching The Goods. It took Martin Scorcese 28 years to bring this to the screen. It's good of course. It is Scorcese after all but I don't know how people will ultimately judge it based on the subject matter. It's a beautifully shot film with a great cast. Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver both turn in solid performances and Liam Neesom ably provides support. I'm proud of myself for having started it because once I did I was able to immerse myself in the story of the two young Jesuits. I had no intention of ever watching this but I'm glad I did.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:23 am

The Great Escape - Wow.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 am

Wooley wrote:
The Great Escape - Wow.

I find the movie a bit uneven (like a lot of those big budget '60s ensemble movies, some of the characters and subplots are better than others), but anytime McQueen is on the screen (and especially when he gets the motorcycle), that movie is gold.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Ozu's Late Spring is now in my top 5 of all time. It's been a while since a film has made it in there. Here's the summary I wrote on it:

A truly powerful film which feels more sad the more I think of it. It appears to attack Japanese tradition by showing how the marriage of the younger generation results in the mortality of the older generation. Both Shukichi and Noriko are pressured by society to do something which neither of them wants to do in the end. Through several somber scenes, both of them are forced to abandon their beliefs in order to conform to these societal standards. In addition to this, Setsuko Hara gave a brilliantly subtle performance.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Rock wrote:
I find the movie a bit uneven (like a lot of those big budget '60s ensemble movies, some of the characters and subplots are better than others), but anytime McQueen is on the screen (and especially when he gets the motorcycle), that movie is gold.

I felt like the movie was a bigger better more beautiful Dirty Dozen-type movie, but it also got a lot more real. I was really kinda dazzled. Like, this is what a blockbuster that doesn't end as neatly as audiences would have liked in the early 1960s.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Oh, I wanted to ask what y'all's opinions of Sister Street Fighter are.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Rock wrote:

This is more or less how I feel. For me, the film started just ok, and got better and better as it progressed. That's pretty good in my book.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Wooley wrote:
Oh, I wanted to ask what y'all's opinions of Sister Street Fighter are.

I liked the first two when I watched them a few years ago.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:58 am

My "Epix 4 day free preview" onslaught continues with...

Hot Tub Time Machine - 6/10 - I'd seen this already but remembered liking it so I gave it a rewatch. Still liked it. Pretty much. It's a silly premise but they somehow make it work over the course of an hour and a half (?) movie. Crude humor but unlike something like The Goods the cast (Craig Robinson is in this too and so is David Koetchner's younger doppelganger Rob Corddry) is likable and talented enough to pull it off for the most part. Or at least make it funny. And, just in case you haven't seen it and are tempted to, stay away from the sequel. A missing John Cusack actually makes a difference.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 am

Throne of Blood (1957) - 7/10

Although this doesn't rank with Kurosawa's best work since its visuals are at the forefront and several characters are either given very little screen time or disappear for long sections of the film, it makes up for this flaw by its jaw-dropping selection of visuals. Several visual set pieces are shot in such a unique way that this film almost feels like an expressionist nightmare. Fog often envelops the screen in multiple scenes, giving the film a hellish and absurd feel. In addition, multiple visual set pieces such as birds flying from the forest and the shots of the trees moving toward the castle are definite standouts. While I still prefer the poetry of Shakespeare's play, I think the cinematography caused this film to work in its own way. Overall, I'd still recommend this one.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:04 am

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, 2009 (B-)

It's decent enough. A few notable bad points though. The exposition and flashbacks to give background are as clunky, awkward and forced as you can possibly get without straight up turning to the camera and saying "Now, you're probably wondering..." The CGI is especially shameful considering Transformers came out 2 years prior and just tears this one apart, especially the movements, holy shit. The relationships between the characters are lacking, which isn't usually a thing that bothers me but it's hard not to notice in this movie.

The action scenes, though badly CGI'd, are mostly dynamic and fun and have some creativity to them and there's enough of it to make the movie better than just average or bad. The Paris chase in particular is pretty neat. Not much to miss by passing this one though.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 am

I had forgotten Stephen Sommers had directed G.I Joe: TRoC although before looking it up I had an overwhelming suspicion he was somehow involved. Sommer's responsible for some of the worst movies I've ever sat through. The two Mummy films, Van Helsing and Deep Rising were all crammed to the gills with charmless, witless big action set pieces and not much else.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 am

Carriers - 7/10 - This isn't all that bad. I've seen quite a few in this genre and this falls squarely in the upper third of them. Chris Pine plays one of two brothers trying to outrun a world ending pandemic. The other players I vaguely recognize but not to any great extent. Except for Chris Meloni, who turns in an affecting performance as the desperate father of an infected little girl. It's dark though. There isn't a "This was their finest hour" moment to be had. If the proverbial shit were to ever actually hit the fan, I'm pretty sure this is how it would play out.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:15 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Throne of Blood (1957) - 7/10
I watched that one for my Macbeth project here on Corrie, though it sounds like I liked it more than you did. Still, since you know the play, you might get some enjoyment from the thread.

/shameless self promotion

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 72147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441, 1442, 1443  Next