It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 73094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

Upgrade - 8/10 - This efficient and entertaining slice of sci-fi/horror makes me wonder why it didn't make more of a splash. It's superior to a lot of other, better known entries in the genre. The lead actor could pass for Tom Hardy's younger brother and does a really good job of more or less carrying the movie. He's got that everyman look to him so I wondered where I had seen him before but then confirmed he had roles in Prometheus, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Devil. Didn't recognize any of the other actors though. The script is pretty good too and holds up well all the way through. The FX and CGI aren't lacking either. Which goes back to the issue of this slipping by unnoticed for the most part. Well worth watching. :up:

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:23 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Upgrade - 8/10 - The lead actor could pass for Tom Hardy's younger brother and does a really good job of more or less carrying the movie.

Agreed on the recommendation for Upgrade (originally recommended to me by Death Proof).

Have you seen The Invitation? The actor you're talking about is Logan Marshall-Green, and he is really fantastic in that film.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Upgrade - 8/10 - This efficient and entertaining slice of sci-fi/horror makes me wonder why it didn't make more of a splash. It's superior to a lot of other, better known entries in the genre. The lead actor could pass for Tom Hardy's younger brother and does a really good job of more or less carrying the movie. He's got that everyman look to him so I wondered where I had seen him before but then confirmed he had roles in Prometheus, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Devil. Didn't recognize any of the other actors though. The script is pretty good too and holds up well all the way through. The FX and CGI aren't lacking either. Which goes back to the issue of this slipping by unnoticed for the most part. Well worth watching. :up:

I really liked it. My only two complaints are that the violence gets less extrewmw as it goes on an the villain "sneeze" scene was bad looking and hokey. Very out of place.

If you liked Logan Marshall Green, you should give the Invitation a shot. It's like all the best stuff in his performance here without the inconsistent accent.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Agreed on the recommendation for Upgrade (originally recommended to me by Death Proof).

Have you seen The Invitation? The actor you're talking about is Logan Marshall-Green, and he is really fantastic in that film.

Pssh. Talking about LMG and the Invitation. Who does that?

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:42 am

Takoma1 wrote:
No I haven't but I checked out the plot and it sounds intriguing. Plus John Carroll Lynch is in it. Thanks, I just added it to my Netflix queue.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:51 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
If you liked Logan Marshall Green, you should give the Invitation a shot. It's like all the best stuff in his performance here without the inconsistent accent.
Thank you. Will do.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:52 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
No I haven't but I checked out the plot and it sounds intriguing. Plus John Carroll Lynch is in it. Thanks, I just added it to my Netflix queue.

It's a really excellent thriller that continued to surprise me through its run time.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:13 am

Rock wrote:
Seagal is an untalented asshole now, but he's way more magnetic in his earlier movies than Diesel has ever been.

Really?
I feel like Diesel is at least an actual actor whereas Seagal was always like this cardboard joke it was kinda fun to watch make bottom-feeding action flicks for about 3-4 movies before the joke was tired. I never understood how he had any appeal at all.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Stu wrote:
Well, while I did enjoy The Dark Knight Rises (not as much as its predecessor, but still), like a lot of people, I agree with you that the DCU needs serious re-working, but I don't think the main problem with it so far has been aping Nolan (the only film that really had a major problem with that was Man Of Steel, IMO), but, with the shaky foundations that the universe was built on, and the confused studio reactions to that; I mean, I get that WB got lucky in taking a chance on Nolan (whose biggest project prior to Begins had been a mere mid-budget potboiler), and they got an overall solid trilogy out of him in return (and one film, at least, where he was truly firing on all cylinders), so I respect their desire to use another big-budget "auteur" director to put a more distinctive spin on their cinematic 'verse, in order to differentiate themselves from the generally less personal-feeling, more producer-driven MCU, but who thought Zack Snyder was the man for the job? I mean, yeah, he has a unique cinematic voice, but that doesn't automatically make him a good director, and he's been an inconsistent storyteller at best over the course of his career (and he was just coming off of the disaster that was Sucker Punch, so that adds extra "lolwut" to their decision). And nothing about him indicted he would be anything but a poor fit to direct a movie about Superman, one of the most inherently hopeful superheroes ever to pervade the public consciousness, and indeed, he was just as bad a choice for Man Of Steel as you'd expect, and mix his often incoherent storytelling skill in with the studio's desire to cram in all the unnecessary characters and desperate universe-building into BvS, and their belief that Snyder would somehow be able to make it work (when he couldn't even make a relatively straight translation from comic-to-screen work well), and the rest is history.

So from there, it's not surprising what happened next, whether it be WB losing faith in letting David Ayer's original vision for Suicide Squad be as it was, and trying to squish so many different, competing edits for the film together (which combined with the comic relief-adding reshoots to make the film as big a mess as it is), or kicking Snyder off of Justice League when it became apparent he was still doing the same old ultra-grim/dour thing he always does, and bringing in Whedon for the reshoots in order to make it shameless, lighthearted MCU-wannabe in tone, so we not only ended up with none of Snyder's problematic-but-admirable sense of ambition, but almost no distinctive personality to the final product, period. And, while some of the recent solo entries in the DCverse have been better, I still don't think they've lived up to their potential yet, as Wonder Woman was too much of a standard origin story on the whole, and mostly just seemed to coast on the novelty of having a female superhero starring, and Aquaman, while surprisingly ambitious on an aesthetic level (though that wasn't always to the film's benefit), it still almost completely just went through the typical blockbuster motions when it came to its incredibly predictable story beats. Don't get me wrong, I'm no huge Marvel fan (though I definitely enjoy some of their stuff), but compared to where DC is at right now...? Fuggetaboutit.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, I think they made an awful mistake in handing over their cinematic universe to Snyder and that has largely been the reason their films have been almost uniformly terrible (WW aside, and, let's be honest, it got a lot of praise literally just for not sucking as bad as DC's other movies). Additionally there have been some pretty bad scripts (Man Of Steel, obv, BvS actually made sense restored but was still an entire act too long and someone should have stopped him, and did Suicide Squad even have a script? That's one of the worst movies I've sat in a theater til the end for in a long time). Decision making... well, I think most agree, the whole thing has been mismanaged.
Which brings me to the flip side, the success of the MCU. While DC has been floundering, Marvel has turned out hit after hit, not just commercially but critically (in these soft critical times). It's a crude tool, but if we look at Tomatometer, Aquaman, DC's second best movie by Tomatometer actually comes in BELOW Thor: The Dark World, Marvel's TWENTIETH best (actually their worst) film by score. And I think that's all probably pretty accurate. In twenty films, Marvel simply doesn't have anything as bad as Suicide Squad or Justice League, or even the theatrical version of BvS. And in the process, they have hardly eschewed strong directorial voices, evidenced by Ryan Coogler, Taika Waititi, James Gunn, Kenneth Branagh, and Shane Black. But they understand one thing. You need a captain at the helm. And I really do think that captain should be a producer, a creative producer, but a producer nonetheless, or at least a director who has done producing (and maybe writing) as well and can also take feedback from multiple sources, stay out of their own way, not trip over their own ego, and still command a ship. And Marvel has a captain, the right person making the decisions for the whole overall arc. Which is why the Marvel movies are just straight up better than the DC movies and why they are fairly consistent and why, a startling TWENTY movies in, they are peaking now. Or at least for now, they may peak even higher going forward (although beyond Endgame, I don't see that happening). Who is making these big decisions for DC? Who is at the helm? Cause their ship looks rudderless and the rats have already fled down the ropes.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Just One of the Guys is an interesting film that ultimately lets its dedication to genre convention turn it into something far less radical than what it could have been.

The film is a late-80s genre-bending romantic comedy about a young woman named Terry who wants to be a writer for the local newspaper. When she's told by her newspaper teacher that her work isn't worthy (along with some unnecessary mentions about her being "pretty" and how she could always pursue work as a model), Terry decides that if she submitted her work as a boy, she'd have gotten into the contest. Testing this theory, she cross-dresses as a teenage boy and enrolls herself in a different high school.

So here's where the film takes one of a few interesting turns. Terry's new newspaper teacher ALSO tells her that her writing isn't up to the standard (though this time saying that she shouldn't let being a man get in the way of writing with emotion) and Terry decides to turn her cross-dressing experience into the basis of an article that will win her the chance to be published.

The film then follows as Terry befriends a classmate, Rick. As she helps Rick get a date, she of course begins to fall for him. Other subplots follow Terry trying to keep her college-dude boyfriend, Kevin, in the dark, and also Terry's brother, Buddy, in his quest to lose his virginity before their parents return from a long trip.

There are several things that I thought were pretty cool about this film. To begin with, the film does manage to strike an interesting balance between portraying sexism and acknowledging that gender discrimination can be nuanced. Terry's teachers don't reject her work because she is a woman, but they ascribe her writing difficulties to different causes based on what they think her gender is. I also liked that the female secondary characters are much more well rounded than what you usually get, including the classic "hottie dating a creep" Deborah, or the girl who falls for Boy Terry (RT favorite Sherilyn Fenn), Sandy. Actually, a lot of the secondary characters are given more depth than what you'd typically see, including a really likable nerd type who carries around a variety of reptiles, even in gym class.

I also have to say that it was really sweet to see the way that the character of Rick reacts when he starts to believe that Terry is gay. He's basically like, "Yeah, that's cool." It would have been really easy for the film to go in the direction of gay panic jokes, but Rick is instead understanding and a good friend.

Finally, Billy Jayne, who plays Buddy, does a pretty amazing job with his character. His line delivery is just incredibly on point, and he has great chemistry with all of the other characters. He and Terry pick at each other, but the sibling relationship feels grounded and loving, and Buddy helps his sister accomplish her goals. I'm grateful that the film managed to mostly keep his horndog antics to a minimum. There's one scene where a girl is looking away and he puts his hand on her thigh, but for the most part he's not doing anything that's "playfully nonconsensual". I know "that was then, this is now", but I have no patience for that garbage anymore and it was nice that it didn't pop up in this film.

But here's the problem: for everything that this film does well, it just can't bring itself to be bold enough to defy it's genre trappings. Yes, there is (brief) male nudity alongside the female nudity, but whereas the men are shot in a matter-of-fact, mid-distance shot, the camera takes its time to ogle the female character. Literally the first shot is a slow pan up and over the crotch and breasts of the main character as she sleeps in a white panty and camisole (really?!). A later shot of the main character's breasts is not only, well, unnecessary, but also introduces kind of a glaring plot gap, namely that someone with huge boobs would be trying to pass as a guy but not wear anything under her shirt to hold down her breasts. It's the kind of exploitative dumbness that calls attention to itself as exploitation.

But more broadly, the movie just can't escape the gravity of the most stereotypical end of each subplot. Does Buddy get to sleep with a woman waaaaaayyyyy out of his league? Of course. Does the nice girl who leaves her abusive, creep boyfriend actually get to be with the nice guy? Of course not! He's literally reserved for our main character. There was something really cool about watching Terry help Rick to become more confident. And it wasn't because she knew a bunch of "girl secrets". It's because she encourages him to dress a little better. She encourages him to keep trying when he faces rejection and doesn't want to keep trying. Their friendship, including Rick's unspoken acceptance of what he thinks is a closeted gay friend, was a really interesting dynamic that was more well realized than any of the similar "friendship by deception" dynamics I've seen before.

Overall I think that this is a fun entry in the "gender swap" subgenre of comedies, but I wish it had been bolder in the way that it played with the convention of its genre.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:58 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Just One of the Guys is an interesting film that ultimately lets its dedication to genre convention turn it into something far less radical than what it could have been.

The film is a late-80s genre-bending romantic comedy about a young woman named Terry who wants to be a writer for the local newspaper. When she's told by her newspaper teacher that her work isn't worthy (along with some unnecessary mentions about her being "pretty" and how she could always pursue work as a model), Terry decides that if she submitted her work as a boy, she'd have gotten into the contest. Testing this theory, she cross-dresses as a teenage boy and enrolls herself in a different high school.

So here's where the film takes one of a few interesting turns. Terry's new newspaper teacher ALSO tells her that her writing isn't up to the standard (though this time saying that she shouldn't let being a man get in the way of writing with emotion) and Terry decides to turn her cross-dressing experience into the basis of an article that will win her the chance to be published.

The film then follows as Terry befriends a classmate, Rick. As she helps Rick get a date, she of course begins to fall for him. Other subplots follow Terry trying to keep her college-dude boyfriend, Kevin, in the dark, and also Terry's brother, Buddy, in his quest to lose his virginity before their parents return from a long trip.

There are several things that I thought were pretty cool about this film. To begin with, the film does manage to strike an interesting balance between portraying sexism and acknowledging that gender discrimination can be nuanced. Terry's teachers don't reject her work because she is a woman, but they ascribe her writing difficulties to different causes based on what they think her gender is. I also liked that the female secondary characters are much more well rounded than what you usually get, including the classic "hottie dating a creep" Deborah, or the girl who falls for Boy Terry (RT favorite Sherilyn Fenn), Sandy. Actually, a lot of the secondary characters are given more depth than what you'd typically see, including a really likable nerd type who carries around a variety of reptiles, even in gym class.

I also have to say that it was really sweet to see the way that the character of Rick reacts when he starts to believe that Terry is gay. He's basically like, "Yeah, that's cool." It would have been really easy for the film to go in the direction of gay panic jokes, but Rick is instead understanding and a good friend.

Finally, Billy Jayne, who plays Buddy, does a pretty amazing job with his character. His line delivery is just incredibly on point, and he has great chemistry with all of the other characters. He and Terry pick at each other, but the sibling relationship feels grounded and loving, and Buddy helps his sister accomplish her goals. I'm grateful that the film managed to mostly keep his horndog antics to a minimum. There's one scene where a girl is looking away and he puts his hand on her thigh, but for the most part he's not doing anything that's "playfully nonconsensual". I know "that was then, this is now", but I have no patience for that garbage anymore and it was nice that it didn't pop up in this film.

But here's the problem: for everything that this film does well, it just can't bring itself to be bold enough to defy it's genre trappings. Yes, there is (brief) male nudity alongside the female nudity, but whereas the men are shot in a matter-of-fact, mid-distance shot, the camera takes its time to ogle the female character. Literally the first shot is a slow pan up and over the crotch and breasts of the main character as she sleeps in a white panty and camisole (really?!). A later shot of the main character's breasts is not only, well, unnecessary, but also introduces kind of a glaring plot gap, namely that someone with huge boobs would be trying to pass as a guy but not wear anything under her shirt to hold down her breasts. It's the kind of exploitative dumbness that calls attention to itself as exploitation.

But more broadly, the movie just can't escape the gravity of the most stereotypical end of each subplot. Does Buddy get to sleep with a woman waaaaaayyyyy out of his league? Of course. Does the nice girl who leaves her abusive, creep boyfriend actually get to be with the nice guy? Of course not! He's literally reserved for our main character. There was something really cool about watching Terry help Rick to become more confident. And it wasn't because she knew a bunch of "girl secrets". It's because she encourages him to dress a little better. She encourages him to keep trying when he faces rejection and doesn't want to keep trying. Their friendship, including Rick's unspoken acceptance of what he thinks is a closeted gay friend, was a really interesting dynamic that was more well realized than any of the similar "friendship by deception" dynamics I've seen before.

Overall I think that this is a fun entry in the "gender swap" subgenre of comedies, but I wish it had been bolder in the way that it played with the convention of its genre.

This is a far more thoughtful and insightful review of Just One Of The Guys than I would ever have believed I would see.
It is really interesting to read this now, what, 30 years or so after I first saw it and thought, "funny movie, great boob-scene". But you're right on almost everything you say here (I take some issue with the "out of his league" business as a concept, but I understand what you mean here), and I especially appreciate the point about the way Rick accepts his friends possible homosexuality in 1984. I almost feel like I need to go watch this again.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 am

Wooley wrote:
This is a far more thoughtful and insightful review of Just One Of The Guys than I would ever have believed I would see.
It is really interesting to read this now, what, 30 years or so after I first saw it and thought, "funny movie, great boob-scene". But you're right on almost everything you say here (I take some issue with the "out of his league" business as a concept, but I understand what you mean here), and I especially appreciate the point about the way Rick accepts his friends possible homosexuality in 1984. I almost feel like I need to go watch this again.

Is there a character that's obsessed with James Brown? If so this is an 80s movie I've actually seen, for once.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 am

Wooley wrote:
I take some issue with the "out of his league" business as a concept, but I understand what you mean here

To be clear, I'm not just referring to their relative physical attractiveness (though average-looking guy ending up with Playboy model material is very . . . male fantasy). Sandy is kind and thoughtful and a really generous person.

Her main impression of Buddy is when he surprises her (intentionally) when she's half-dressed and makes a clumsy pass at her in a room full of dozens and dozens of nude or topless magazine centerfolds taped to the wall ("Would it make you more comfortable if I took my shirt off, too?"). I think that the film needed to build a little more rapport between the characters for me to believe that she'd want to jump into bed with him. And that's literally what happens--they go from nothing to sleeping together. And it's clearly because PLOT.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Is there a character that's obsessed with James Brown? If so this is an 80s movie I've actually seen, for once.

Yes! And the trivia section suggests that Brown himself actually came to the set to help the actor with his dance moves.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:

Yep, this one was good fun.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:32 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I like that one. It's also one of the William Zabka douchebag trilogy, along with Karate Kid and Back to School.

And every day the paper boy brings more

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:34 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Yep, this one was good fun.

PERMISSION GRANTED!

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am

I finally saw My Cousin Vinny for the first time (yeah, I know) and I really liked it. Besides the obvious: great underdog story, all of the gags where Vinny can't get a good night's sleep, Marisa Tomei in general, etc., as a southerner, I appreciated that it didn't rely on tired clichés about the south. It sort of went in that direction with the subplot about the pool hustler who owes Mona Lisa $200, but it was too funny for me to mind. The legal proceedings also seemed just as accurate, if not more, than they are in movies like A Few Good Men or The Verdict. While there are plenty of good-natured comedies geared towards adults on TV these days (The Office, Parks & Recreation, The Good Place, etc.), it seems like they're few and far between at the box office these days. The only recent ones that come to mind are Cedar Rapids and Taika Waititi's movies.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 am

Death Proof wrote:

PERMISSION GRANTED!

Awesome trailer. I almost wish the film were more of a whimsical violent comedy with our protag getting into more and more trouble as he outsourced decision making to STEM.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:47 am

Ant-man & the Wasp - 9/10

Maybe my favorite comedy from 2018

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:11 am

Torgo wrote:
I finally saw My Cousin Vinny for the first time (yeah, I know) and I really liked it. Besides the obvious: great underdog story, all of the gags where Vinny can't get a good night's sleep, Marisa Tomei in general, etc., as a southerner, I appreciated that it didn't rely on tired clichés about the south. It sort of went in that direction with the subplot about the pool hustler who owes Mona Lisa $200, but it was too funny for me to mind. The legal proceedings also seemed just as accurate, if not more, than they are in movies like A Few Good Men or The Verdict. While there are plenty of good-natured comedies geared towards adults on TV these days (The Office, Parks & Recreation, The Good Place, etc.), it seems like they're few and far between at the box office these days. The only recent ones that come to mind are Cedar Rapids and Taika Waititi's movies.

Agreed. Fun movie, no real weaknesses, I can watch any time.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 am

Wooley wrote:
Agreed. Fun movie, no real weaknesses, I can watch any time.

Obligatory note that the film has been used to teach students in law school to conduct cross-examination.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am

Obligatory note that the film has been used to teach students in law school to conduct cross-examination.

No kidding?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:51 am

Wooley wrote:
No kidding?

No kidding.

Apparently the film gets certain things right that a lot of other films get wrong or don't show.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am

I remember seeing My Cousin Vinny decades ago, probably shortly after it was released, and not being crazy about it. However, I don't remember much about it. Should probably give it a rewatch one of these days.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Thief wrote:
I remember seeing My Cousin Vinny decades ago, probably shortly after it was released, and not being crazy about it. However, I don't remember much about it. Should probably give it a rewatch one of these days.

Maybe it's because I'm from Jersey, but I love that movie so much. And everyone I know is a fan.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:00 pm

It's nice to know that the proper way to cook grits has brought criminals to justice.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Eighth Grade - 9/10

Along with Lady Bird, this look at millennial girlhood is a breath of fresh air from the typically insipid Disney Channel-esque candy-glitter of most recent youth fare. I think that I may prefer this one to Lady Bird because it touches on a lot of broader influences of social media and ironic paeans to "be yourself" in such a performative environment. Whereas Lady Bird always seemed to be assured as a rara avis, EG's Kayla is less eccentric, less assured of her individuality, less snobby about her maturity. The tension between being yourself and social belonging is more pronounced here, and her insecurities are much more on the surface. Both films still deal with class dynamics and taking people (ie, parents) for granted. 8th Grade is a hormonal hellhole for most of us, and I realized how grateful I am that my idle insights from that age have not been preserved on Youtube.

I'm not convinced that this film didn't deserve to win all of the awards this year. The Academy fucked up by choosing to not even nominate it for a single damn thing.

Saw this over the weekend and agree completely. Perfectly captured my own 8th grade experiences (The Pool Party has forever been the bane of the introvert's existence), while also schooling me on the added wrinkles that today's 8th graders contend with (Like making inspirational Youtube videos that get zero views. Heartbreaking.) Can't say that I've been a big fan of Burnham's act in the past, but he's impressed me here. And yes, they could've at least thrown the lead actress a bone with a BA nomination.

I also watched Leave No Trace that same day. Directed by Debra "Winter's Bone" Granik, this is about a veteran who's attempting to live off the grid and his teen daughter who is becoming less enthusiastic about their situation. Time will tell if Granik has discovered another J-Law, but the teen actress here gives a heartbreaking performance. Highly recommend this one as well.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Incredibles 2 – 8.5/10 - This is a worthy successor to the original and in some ways (animation) it surpasses it. It follows the usual formula for most sequels. Take what was good about the original and give the audience more of it. But this isn’t like most sequels in that the script allows the formula to be used effectively. It would have been impossible to recapture the fearlessness and the novelty of the first but this is a respectable attempt.

This is available on Netflix.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Incredibles 2 was so good but superhero movies were so good this year it wasn't even the best Superhero movie and even animated movie. Into the Spider-Verse being the best in both of those.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm
Profile YIM

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Incredibles 2 – 8.5/10 - This is a worthy successor to the original and in some ways (animation) it surpasses it. It follows the usual formula for most sequels. Take what was good about the original and give the audience more of it. But this isn’t like most sequels in that the script allows the formula to be used effectively. It would have been impossible to recapture the fearlessness and the novelty of the first but this is a respectable attempt.

This is available on Netflix.

My grade would probably be a notch lower, but overall I agree. I enjoyed it a lot.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:25 pm

Thief wrote:

My grade would probably be a notch lower, but overall I agree. I enjoyed it a lot.

Mine a notch higher. I loved it.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Mine a notch higher. I loved it.
It was good wasn't it? I mean, I remember being blown away by the first one and like I said before it would have been really difficult to repeat that. But it speaks volumes about Brad Bird and the Pixar team that they were able to stay true to the spirit of the original.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 am

The Favourite - 9.5/10

A nasty and deliciously vicious little romp about conniving courtesans, Sarah (Weisz) and Abigail (Stone), vying vipers embraced like some kind of sinister caduceus of spiteful deceit. Sympathy shrinks in short supply as Lanthimos takes great delight in mocking the idly enlightened aristocracy (the duck race is probably the best scene of the year). The cinematography is appropriately both luscious and vacant, while the three principle actresses are excellent in their respective debaucheries. Nicholas Hoult, as well, gives an uncanny Hugh Grant impression.

I'm not quite sure why Olivia Colman is considered as the lead, other than her name comes first in the credits. The Queen is hardly a proper protagonist here. Instead, I think that Weisz is more deserving of her Oscar, brash and brutal, bright and sublime. But just because this may very well be the best film of the year, I hope it doesn't win. The backlash from the rabble wouldd be terrible. Instead, I'm hoping it can snatch awards for Cinematography and Score, and maybe even Make-Up if the Academy has the good taste to award the trophy ironically.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 am

Jinnistan wrote:
The Favourite - 9.5/10

A nasty and deliciously vicious little romp about conniving courtesans, Sarah (Weisz) and Abigail (Stone), vying vipers embraced like some kind of sinister caduceus of spiteful deceit. Sympathy shrinks in short supply as Lanthimos takes great delight in mocking the idly enlightened aristocracy (the duck race is probably the best scene of the year). The cinematography is appropriately both luscious and vacant, while the three principle actresses are excellent in their respective debaucheries. Nicholas Hoult, as well, gives an uncanny Hugh Grant impression.

I'm not quite sure why Olivia Colman is considered as the lead, other than her name comes first in the credits. The Queen is hardly a proper protagonist here. Instead, I think that Weisz is more deserving of her Oscar, brash and brutal, bright and sublime. But just because this may very well be the best film of the year, I hope it doesn't win. The backlash from the rabble wouldd be terrible. Instead, I'm hoping it can snatch awards for Cinematography and Score, and maybe even Make-Up if the Academy has the good taste to award the trophy ironically.

It's more or less in a 3 way tie for my favorite of the year with Blackkklansman and Roma.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 am

The Eiger Sanction- 8/10

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm

The Old Man & the Gun was great in all the ways the Mule wasn’t.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:09 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The Old Man & the Gun was great in all the ways the Mule wasn’t.
How so, if I may ask?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Stu wrote:
How so, if I may ask?

Both films seek to tell the story of a man in his twilight years living a life of crime and create parallels to that of the iconic actor still acting in his twilight years. Both seek to portray this criminal as folksy and charming, evoking the strengths of their respective icon. Both seek to remind us of their legacies as actors.

However Old Man is ACTUALLY charming. It ACTUALLY evokes Redford’s legacy and it feels like one of his classic films, while avoiding the pitfalls and stereotypes of similar films. It’s a light, heartfelt film that would work well as a swan song all while remaining faithful to the psychology of the character.

The Mule, on the other hand, is infantile and abrasive while thinking its charming, much in the way Eastwood has confused his curmudgeonly, casually racist attitude for charm. So much of the film forgets that Eastwood is supposed to be a character and it has everyone uncharacterstically fall for these “charms.” It has a Kapra sensibility towards its treatment of its character and seemingly forgets that the man is engaging and enabling some horrendous stuff. It also feels like a cheap, by the numbers genre films with female characters that only exist to nag Eastwood, a far cry from the effortlessly organic chemistry between Redford and Spacek.

I almost loved TOMATG and found the Mule to be rote with a lot of unintentional humor (those ass shots would embarrass Bay).

Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:29 am

I got to see The Old Man and the Gun at TIFF in a theatre where a large portion of the audience were little old ladies. The swooning was off the charts when Redford and Spacek smooched.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Rock wrote:
I got to see The Old Man and the Gun at TIFF in a theatre where a large portion of the audience were little old ladies. The swooning was off the charts when Redford and Spacek smooched.

How much swooning occurred during Eastwood’s second threesome with young ladies in the Mule?

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:11 am

While I haven’t seen In Order of Disappearance yet, I saw Cold Pursuit. Here were some brief thoughts on it:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/cold-pursuit/

I also watched Deathstalker:

https://letterboxd.com/tjjones/film/deathstalker/

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
How much swooning occurred during Eastwood’s second threesome with young ladies in the Mule?

Nobody swooned, but I suspect some of the old dudes may have popped boners.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:31 am

Got to see Crippled Avengers on a big screen last night. I'd seen it a while back on Netflix, but this is the kind of stuff these showings were made for. If I say it has minute-by-minute the best fight choreography I've ever seen in a movie, would anyone disagree? Like, there are individual fights in other movies that are better, but no other movie has this much amazing fighting.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:34 am

Rock wrote:
Nobody swooned, but I suspect some of the old dudes may have popped viagra.

Fixed it for you.

Crippled Avengers is easily my favorite Chang Cheh/Venoms collaboration. “Crippling” each Venom made some of the best uses of their acrobatic/fighting skills and some of the most unique fight choreography around. I’d have to rewatch to say “best per minute” but I ain’t gonna argue.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:39 am

I just watched It's a Wonderful Life for the first time. I wrote more in depth in Thief's thread, but I was especially interested in how the information I learned in the documentary Five Came Back impacted how I viewed certain sequences and themes in the film.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:45 am

The new Superfly is terrible and aside from the opening, shockingly boring stylistically, given the director's music video background. You'd spend time better and see a more convincing and realistic tough guy rewatching Drake's Hotline Bling a dozen times. This film is to the original what Future is to Curtis Mayfield. This is a bad, soulless film without an ounce of grit, integrity or grindhouse ingenuity and charm. And that's the stone cold truth.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:50 pm

That's a remake I was bizarrely upset about when I heard about it and promptly forgot it existed

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 am

Rock wrote:
That's a remake I was bizarrely upset about when I heard about it and promptly forgot it existed

I found the Blu-ray on clearance for $1.

I paid too much.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It's more or less in a 3 way tie for my favorite of the year with Blackkklansman and Roma.

I also hope it takes the Screenplay nom. In terms of brand new words, I can't figure out if I prefer "vajuju" or "cuntstruck".

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 73094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462  Next