It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472  Next
 Recently Seen 
Post Re: Recently Seen

DaMU wrote:
Don't normally do this, but I'm partially through the '90s fantasy flick Dragonheart, and it took too long to get to this point, but after about 30-odd minutes of self-serious overscored dreck (dramatically clear if never engaging), it's turned into a weird sitcom-level satire of itself, with Quaid and Connery as an odd couple and the early CG effects by now so quaint that they almost turn back on themselves and add to the goofball energy. I'm not saying any of this is defensible or even all that good (it's less clever than Zemeckis' Beowulf), but at least the flick's got character now.

The stunner of this film, to me, is that they somehow got Julie Christie, historically notorious for being extremely selective and turning down even good roles she didn't feel strongly about, to do this film.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
GANGSTA!

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I don't like Trash Humpers much, and I sort of despise Mr. Lonely, but Korrine is aces with everything else he's done.

I thought that Mr. Lonely is his best since Gummo. Trash Humpers is almost like a bad parody of his worst hipster instincts. (Julien Donkey-Boy lies somewhere in between the sincere pastiche of Gummo and bad self-parody.)

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Rock wrote:

Now you're getting it.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Rock wrote:
I used to watch this one a lot as a kid but haven't seen it in forever. Curious how it would hold up if I ever revisit it. Self satire doesn't sound half bad.

Believe me, it's a long walk to get there, but there's an honest-to-God clever beat where Quaid is stuck in the dragon's mouth - if he stabs, the dragon clamps; if the dragon clamps, he stabs - and the camera tracks away to the morning sky, it slow-fades to night, and the camera tracks back to them in the exact same position.

A little later, the dragon flies directly in front of a ballista, and when Quaid fires, it grabs the arrow, holds it to the side, and "falls to his death" to the oohs and ahhs of a small village. Nobody notices that it didn't pierce him, even though this trick is only slightly more clever than removing your thumb for a three-year-old. Which makes those oohs and ahhs kind of fun.

This would need only the gentlest twist to become full-bore Monty Python.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I thought that Mr. Lonely is his best since Gummo. Trash Humpers is almost like a bad parody of his worst hipster instincts. (Julien Donkey-Boy lies somewhere in between the sincere pastiche of Gummo and bad self-parody.)

I'm always willing to give that one a rewatch, but it just felt like everything I liked about Korine was missing from the film. Doused with bleach and disinfectants, and who needs that. It felt like a movie with an interesting concept that never went beyond that. My disappointment could always have been a result of misplaced expectations of what I wanted. Which is just more Gummo.

I like Julien Donkeyboy a lot. It becomes deliberately dull, obtuse and unlikeable at times, but I think it hits harder emotionally more than most of films. And it also has Werner Herzog and a garden hose, which I'm happy about.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Captain Marvel - 7/10

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of pack here. My expectations for Marvel films are never particularly high, but I thought that the Kree was a welcome and refreshing deviation from the rote origin story template, ala Dr. Strange, Ant-Man or the thirteenth Spiderman, etc. I'm sure that it helped that, unlike many of these heroes, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the Captain Marvel story which added a freshness to it. I don't see how the film isn't, at least, par for the Marvel film canon. The humor is dumb, the action dazzling, the soundtrack cues are boringly obvious. A strong supporting cast of Ben Mendelsohn, Jude Law and Sam Jackson (in probably his most entertaining turn as Nick Fury, and a CGI facelift that is leagues out of the uncanny valley of Tron 2) help to keep everything fun and moving. (In contrast, Annette Benning is a waste, full of the broad legacy faux-bravura that presupposes ovation.)

As for Brie Larson, I don't think she did a bad job at all. I think it's a question of whether her talents, generally playing modest and unassuming everywomen, is a comfortable fit for this superhero swagger. I think that the abundance of pick-up shots of her smirking may have been a corrective to her preferred method of humble mumbling. One could credit this to her brand of quiet confidence, except that she's framed within some very unquiet slow-mo rock star poses. To be fair, I suppose the fact that her sassiness ends up being equally as grating as Tony Stark's insufferable smugness is some kind of victory.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:26 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
And it also has Werner Herzog and a garden hose, which I'm happy about.

Yes, the "moody brooding".

Also, the generic cough syrup and gas mask was a fine touch for watching westerns.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Also, I swear that I just might have to slap the first sweatbag fanboy who tries to correct my pronunciation of the title. I will not be calling it "Captain Mar-VELL".

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

It's pronounced "Captain Marbles".

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Rock wrote:
It's pronounced "Captain Marbles".

Is this a joke about her mumbles?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Also, I swear that I just might have to slap the first sweatbag fanboy who tries to correct my pronunciation of the title. I will not be calling it "Captain Mar-VELL".

The title is Captain Marvel though. Not Mar-Vell.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Is this a joke about her mumbles?

It's pronounced "Captain Mumbles."

I haven't seen the movie.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 pm

The Apple was pretty darn amusing. None of the music was particularly good or even good at all, but like everything in the film, it was bad in a charming way.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Captain Marvel - 7/10

To be fair, I suppose the fact that her sassiness ends up being equally as grating as Tony Stark's insufferable smugness is some kind of victory.

:D

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 pm

"Truth be told, I'm not from this planet."

Wait, what movie are we talking about again?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:22 pm

There are a bunch of Johnnie To's on Thai Netflix, so I get to make a very great double feature here:

Election (2005)

This is more streamlined that I expected, despite the dizzying array of characters and shifting dynamics, because the film's main thrust boils down (almost hilariously) to a competitive treasure hunt, in which the MacGuffin has been endowed with such grand ritualistic power that it overwhelms everything else, including honor and loyalty. Its propulsive momentum and Johnnie To's exacting thriller craft draws us more easily into its bleak, insinuous worldview, where To can both exercise a lean, mean gangster film entry and harshly rebuke the genre's often romanticized code in the process. Appropriate that this ends on an innocent's shell-shocked face, because when the code of thieves is tested against powerful capital to be seized within reach, no one here escapes clean. Plus, a machete fight in the middle of the film! 8/10

Election 2 (2006)

It feels productive to compare Johnnie To's Election diptych against the first two Godfather films, as they have some similar character arcs and tone changes. This sequel makes up for the story dynamic being almost a retread of the first by plunging deeper into the underworld's heart of darkness (figuratively and literally), not unlike The Godfather Part II. In both cases, I slightly prefer the original's first glimpse into a closed world over its sequel's scope expansion, but Election 2 is still very worthy, full of memorable set-pieces, and avoids being stale by making its moral rot deeper and more systematic. One main character's arc over the two films echoes Michael from the first Godfather, but in the last act here he seems to encompass the positions of both Michael and Kay at that film's closing image, becoming ruthless to achieve what he wants, and then growing horrified as the door closes him into this world. In place of a door, Election 2 has him looking numbly out a window cage, forever locking him heavily there. 8/10

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 pm

The words "Brie Larson" and "grating" shall never be used in the same sentence again, is that understood? :)

I was entertained, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this to a casual viewer. Had a tween-aged crush on Ms. Marvel circa '82, so it's fun to see her on screen doing stuff. I thought the No Doubt song was too on-the-nose (I would've gone with Liz Phair's Supernova, personally). The "young Carol picking herself up after failures" montage was pretty great, though. Didn't hate it, but I'll echo Wooley's lament for what could have been.

Also, I'm not quite clear
why her powers returned after J-Law turned off her neck thingy. I'm used to glossing over superhero mumbo-jumbo, but that moment would've meant more if I understood what was happening.
And I was also hoping that her entrance into the Thanos fray would be more epic than what we got in the post-credit bit.

PS--those of you who think there was no love interest have faulty gaydar.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
...what? Are you being serious?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 am

The Nameless One wrote:
...what? Are you being serious?

:) Only half-serious.
I was oblivious while the film was in progress, but in the days since I've read enough convincing arguments to agree that either interpretation is valid. Granted, a lot of the arguments amount to little more than "they didn't say she wasn't gay", but still.
Whether she is or isn't, I agree that it's refreshing for her not to be defined by a romantic relationship. That's especially an issue for female characters but it also bugs me when it's a dude. (See- Thor 2: Thor Loves Padme) It's like, my planet needs saving, chief. Could you maybe take a break from your sweetheart for a sec?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 am

Lord of the Flies and The Most Dangerous Game were both very groovy adaptations of stories I read in Middle School that have made me want to reread the story. I even liked the apparent liberties each filmmaker took, an objective/observer perspective for Lord and the addition of new characters to better set up the drama. I only wish that they'd done something more clever with Wray in the former, in either having the hunter betray his apparent nobility towards hunting women or have the protagonist exploit that as a weakness.

All in all, a solid run of Criterions. Black Orpheus and Nights of Cabiria are up next.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:33 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Lord of the Flies and The Most Dangerous Game were both very groovy adaptations of stories I read in Middle School that have made me want to reread the story. I even liked the apparent liberties each filmmaker took, an objective/observer perspective for Lord and the addition of new characters to better set up the drama. I only wish that they'd done something more clever with Wray in the former, in either having the hunter betray his apparent nobility towards hunting women or have the protagonist exploit that as a weakness.

All in all, a solid run of Criterions. Black Orpheus and Nights of Cabiria are up next.

I don't know, The Most Dangerous Game could probably be one of my favorite short stories (I actually re-read it about a week ago), and I thought the 1932 film adaptation was more or less a waste.

I haven't seen Lord of the Flies, the film, but I loved the book. Would love to see a good adaptation of it. Not sure how good any of its film adaptations are.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 am

Thief wrote:

I don't know, The Most Dangerous Game could probably be one of my favorite short stories (I actually re-read it about a week ago), and I thought the 1932 film adaptation was more or less a waste.

I haven't seen Lord of the Flies, the film, but I loved the book. Would love to see a good adaptation of it. Not sure how good any of its film adaptations are.

When judging it as a 1932 adaptation, I don't see much room for improvement. Using the King Kong sets was a brilliant and economic way of giving it an elaborate jungle that it probably wouldn't have been afforded otherwise and aside from the additional characters, it was faithful to all the major beats of the story.

You should check out LOTF ('62). I think it's a pretty darn masterful adaptation and an ingenious approach to adapting such a text that enhances the novel rather than removes things.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Using the King Kong sets was a brilliant and economic way of giving it an elaborate jungle that it probably wouldn't have been afforded otherwise

The jungle sets are gorgeous. I haven't read the story since school daze, so I'll take Thief's word about that, but I wouldn't call it a waste, either.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

When judging it as a 1932 adaptation, I don't see much room for improvement. Using the King Kong sets was a brilliant and economic way of giving it an elaborate jungle that it probably wouldn't have been afforded otherwise and aside from the additional characters, it was faithful to all the major beats of the story.

I still think there could've been adjustments and improvements (the acting? the need for a female companion? the rushed pacing?). But given the time it was released, I can agree with you that it was probably as best as we could get then. Still, every time I've read it, I can't help but feel that it's a story ripe for a modern film adaptation. Sure, there have been dozens of hunter/hunted films, but I've always felt that a faithful modern adaptation could be successful.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

You should check out LOTF ('62). I think it's a pretty darn masterful adaptation and an ingenious approach to adapting such a text that enhances the novel rather than removes things.

Great. I'll see if I can fit it in my monthly challenge.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 am

The Most Dangerous Game isn't very good. If you're looking for a horror film adapted from a literary source in 1932 set in a tropical location, Island of Souls is where it's at.

Or if you're looking for another adaptation of The Most Dangerous Games which also isn't good, but which is entertaining, make it Hard Target.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:16 am

Respectfully: The Most Dangerous Game and Island of Lost Souls are both good.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 am

Pray for Death was far more polished and professional than the other Sho Kosugi ninja flicks but had less campy charm. The uncut version was surprisingly violent and made the villain much more despicable than your average 80s gangster. It was also filmed in Houston, which was a cool bonus.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

Is it a first viewing of Black Orpheus? It's a film I really love.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Is it a first viewing of Black Orpheus? It's a film I really love.

Yup! My goal for the year is to clear up a large number of Criterions I either own or have access to and haven't seen. Been alternating between Kanopy and my absurd number of blind buys.

This is a Kanopy watch just like the last 2. NoC is from my blind buys.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Yup!

Awesome-- on both a visual and a storytelling level I think it's pretty great.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

Captain Terror wrote:
The words "Brie Larson" and "grating" shall never be used in the same sentence again, is that understood? :)

I was entertained, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this to a casual viewer. Had a tween-aged crush on Ms. Marvel circa '82, so it's fun to see her on screen doing stuff. I thought the No Doubt song was too on-the-nose (I would've gone with Liz Phair's Supernova, personally). The "young Carol picking herself up after failures" montage was pretty great, though. Didn't hate it, but I'll echo Wooley's lament for what could have been.

Also, I'm not quite clear
why her powers returned after J-Law turned off her neck thingy. I'm used to glossing over superhero mumbo-jumbo, but that moment would've meant more if I understood what was happening.
And I was also hoping that her entrance into the Thanos fray would be more epic than what we got in the post-credit bit.

Agree No Doubt was too on-the-nose and a number of songs would have been better.
Vis a vis neck-thingy,
I think they realized how powerful she was from the beginning and put the "restraining bolt" on her to always keep her powers in check, which is supposed to be symbolic of how women live their whole lives disempowered and held back. When she breaks it, her full power, which she has never experienced, flows unrestrained and she reaches her potential.

Her entrance
into Avengers territory should have been more epic akin to Thor's Entrance in Ragnarok or Infinity War. They screwed the pooch on that one.

Faulty gaydar. :D

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Pray for Death was far more polished and professional than the other Sho Kosugi ninja flicks but had less campy charm. The uncut version was surprisingly violent and made the villain much more despicable than your average 80s gangster. It was also filmed in Houston, which was a cool bonus.

Man, I forgot about Pray For Death, I used to love that movie. I was a huge ninja-nerd when I was in my early teens.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 am

DaMU wrote:
Respectfully: The Most Dangerous Game and Island of Lost Souls are both good.

I hereby declare this person to be correct.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 am

Maybe The Most Dangerous Game is better than I remember? I didn't dislike it, exactly. Just thought it a bit slapdash and lazy, which is pretty common for that period (although it's certainly better than a lot of the drivel that came out in the early sound era).

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:02 pm

I haven't seen either in a while, but even still I will weigh in and say that I think it's important to establish Island of Lost Souls is distinctly better than Most Dangerous Game.

Both can be good. Just not equally.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I haven't seen either in a while, but even still I will weigh in and say that I think it's important to establish Island of Lost Souls is distinctly better than Most Dangerous Game.

Both can be good. Just not equally.

This is most definitely true.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Macrology wrote:
Maybe The Most Dangerous Game is better than I remember? I didn't dislike it, exactly. Just thought it a bit slapdash and lazy, which is pretty common for that period (although it's certainly better than a lot of the drivel that came out in the early sound era).

I'd need to watch it again to offer a substantive defense, but I found it a pretty well put together adventure movie, and like others have said, the sets certainly help things. I'd agree that Island of Lost Souls is a better movie, but I don't think this one is slouch either.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Vis a vis neck-thingy,
I think they realized how powerful she was from the beginning and put the "restraining bolt" on her to always keep her powers in check, which is supposed to be symbolic of how women live their whole lives disempowered and held back. When she breaks it, her full power, which she has never experienced, flows unrestrained and she reaches her potential.

Yeah, I got what was happening, just not how. One minute she was de-powered and the next she had it back by...concentrating, I guess? I got the symbolism, I was just distracted trying to figure out how she was achieving this. But Law getting blasted mid-speech was pretty sweet I gotta say.
(Funny, in my original post I was gonna call it a restraining bolt too.)

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Yeah, I got what was happening, just not how. One minute she was de-powered and the next she had it back by...concentrating, I guess? I got the symbolism, I was just distracted trying to figure out how she was achieving this. But Law getting blasted mid-speech was pretty sweet I gotta say.
(Funny, in my original post I was gonna call it a restraining bolt too.)

Ah, gotcha. Dunno, she all powerful and shit.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Well, the new Avengers trailer is out. We know they mean business this time because of the Nazi undercut hairdos.

Captain Marvel narrows her eyes at Thor which forces him to capitulate to liking her.

Looks like Hawkeye and Black Widow appear to be getting romantic. Gonna be awkward when they "unsnap" Hawkeye's wife and family back into existence.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 am

Here's a link to the trailer Melvin mentioned.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Well, the new Avengers trailer is out. We know they mean business this time because of the Nazi undercut hairdos.

Captain Marvel narrows her eyes at Thor which forces him to capitulate to liking her.

Looks like Hawkeye and Black Widow appear to be getting romantic. Gonna be awkward when they "unsnap" Hawkeye's wife and family back into existence.
You honestly equate hand holding to "getting romantic"? Have... you ever made it that far with a woman, Yarn?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:02 am

The Nameless One wrote:
You honestly equate hand holding to "getting romantic"? Have... you ever made it that far with a woman, Yarn?

Yes, in real life, when a grown man and woman gently hold hands this is a sign of romantic interest and budding engagement. It's a "tie" sign indicating pair-bonding. Given our knowledge of the history of these two characters, they are at least teasing romance as a possibility here.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Yes, in real life, when a grown man and woman gently hold hands this is a sign of romantic interest and budding engagement. It's a "tie" sign indicating pair-bonding. Given our knowledge of the history of these two characters, they are at least teasing romance as a possibility here.
............................................AAAAAAAAAAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA *Breaths* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:19 am

Yarn:

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 am

Alright, this is worthy of a wager! Whoever loses quits posting forever. If Hawkeye and Black Widow are a thing in Endgame I will quit posting forever, if they aren't YARN quits posting forever. Deal?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:33 am

I hope that, somehow, you both lose.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 am

Macrology wrote:
I hope that, somehow, you both lose.
And LEAVES, and you because you clearly suck. Wouldn't that be nice! How about this, why don't we all just quit wasting our time here? What makes you so fucking special?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:59 am

Congratulations, you can google image search famous photographers and post them on a niche forum. Your contribution to the world of art is simply staggering! Seriously, get the fuck over yourself

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 73585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472  Next