It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 6239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Everyone who isn't a dork should be listening to The Breeders new album.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 pm

My seed is ready....

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 am

I picked up a vinyl copy of John Cale/Terry Riley's Church of Anthrax for a dollar. The cover's pretty beat up, but the record is fairly clean and unscathed. I may be cheap, but I'm happy.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 am

Finally available on vinyl in a not stupid expensive edition. Thank God because there are few albums I like more than this from the past twenty years.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

Also this

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:33 am

Moanin' is classic.

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. It's alright, but I wish I liked it more. Has Jack DeJohnette on drums.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 am

The Lawn - Peace in the Valley

A completely forgotten jewel of the Toronto indie rock scene of the mid 80's that begs for some sort of reissue. An organization like the Numero Group would be wise to hunt this one down and make these guys heroes. Would provide a link if this band had any sort of internet footprint but they don't because the world is cruel.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 pm

There's a fairly new Australian indie/alternative band called The Belligerents I've been listening to a lot lately.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Just as a window into my purchasing habits, I bought whatever this is specifically for the cartoon character in the top left corner named "Rex", who just almost looks like recently fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. You know, just to keep my compulsive purchasing topical.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:26 am

I stopped myself from purchasing a replacement LP for The Archies, which I had since kindergarten. I mean, it's The Archies, but it's been bugging me ever since.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:49 am

Presuming this is a judgment-free zone, this boy is perpetually behind on music, to a huge degree (like, didn't explore beyond Weird Al until mid-teens, parents never listened to music), all of which is preamble for:

Prince's Purple Rain.

It's very good.

It's very, very good.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:06 am

The beautiful ones always smash the picture.....

No judgment here. And, btw, "I Lost on Jeopardy" is a jam.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

DaMU wrote:
Presuming this is a judgment-free zone, this boy is perpetually behind on music, to a huge degree (like, didn't explore beyond Weird Al until mid-teens, parents never listened to music), all of which is preamble for:

Prince's Purple Rain.

It's very good.

It's very, very good.

Back in 1984 I won a vinyl copy of Purple Rain in a bag of chips, and it sat in my closet without even being listened to for 15 years. So I entirely understand being behind. I'm rarely up to anything that is going on currently. But to get to the point, yes, Purple Rain is very very good. Something completely obvious that became really clear once I got around to finally taking the shrink wrap off.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 am

When people ask, I always say that Dirty Mind is my favorite Prince album. But I'm pretty sure it's really the obvious and boring answer.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I stopped myself from purchasing a replacement LP for The Archies, which I had since kindergarten. I mean, it's The Archies, but it's been bugging me ever since.

I used to have an original Archies LP as well, mysteriously lost it, and haven't even thought about it until this moment.

But, seriously, where the fuck did it go? Who would steal that shit? Are the Archies cool enough to self combust?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I used to have an original Archies LP as well, mysteriously lost it, and haven't even thought about it until this moment.

But, seriously, where the fuck did it go? Who would steal that shit? Are the Archies cool enough to self combust?

My copy is just beat to shit, partly from childish negligence but more so from more mature negligence in not placing much value on it since. But I found a copy with a fresh cover, and got nostalgic, composed myself and instead grabbed a Flora Purim LP, which although having Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorious and Airto Moreira, proved to be dull, already waded in the winelight of the softest jazz.

I fucked up, crumb.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Recently compelled by the completely absurd notion that I will one day own every Ennio Morricone soundtrack, which would, of course, bankrupt me and leave no room in my apartment to exist, I have been scooping up any lesser known film he has composed for whenever I come across them. This is clearly going to be a fruitful expedition because these two total unknowns I came across this week are both pretty spectacular soundtracks.

The retro futurism of The Humanoid and the paranoid pulse of The Master Touch, clearly highlight the vast scope of this genius motherfucker's talents.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 am

Jack White's new album kind of sucks.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Felt.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Jack White's new album kind of sucks.
What's wrong with it?

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Felt.
That's one of those bands that's so unique, I can't find another one to listen to when I'm in the mood for them. I need an intro to Felt surrogacy.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Torgo wrote:
That's one of those bands that's so unique, I can't find another one to listen to when I'm in the mood for them. I need an intro to Felt surrogacy.

Until recently I only knew them as some brilliant underground band I'd probably never here because their records were so difficult to find. But I've ust gone ape shit over the reissues, scooping up 4 of the 5 over the course of the last week or so. It's true that they are a really difficult band to pigeonhole, and are completely singular, which is strange, because they are composed of a pretty standard line up for a guitar pop band. But the way Deebank plays (seriously one of the best guitarist of the 80's scene, his playing at once overly adorned but completely clear, almost glittering) and the really peculiar songwriting of Lawrence, makes an undeniable impression. I love these records.

I'll probably eventually get it, but I've hesitated on the getting The 17th Century so far. The fact that it is an entirely instrumental album would probably bother me, regardless of how good their instrumentals always are because of Deebank. But I think an entire record without that voice making an appearance at least a few times might frustrate me.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:44 am

Stu wrote:
What's wrong with it?

Being different to be different finally caught up with him. I'll have to give it another listen before I make up my mind. I love his previous two albums.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:54 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

Until recently I only knew them as some brilliant underground band I'd probably never here because their records were so difficult to find. But I've ust gone ape shit over the reissues, scooping up 4 of the 5 over the course of the last week or so. It's true that they are a really difficult band to pigeonhole, and are completely singular, which is strange, because they are composed of a pretty standard line up for a guitar pop band. But the way Deebank plays (seriously one of the best guitarist of the 80's scene, his playing at once overly adorned but completely clear, almost glittering) and the really peculiar songwriting of Lawrence, makes an undeniable impression. I love these records.

I'll probably eventually get it, but I've hesitated on the getting The 17th Century so far. The fact that it is an entirely instrumental album would probably bother me, regardless of how good their instrumentals always are because of Deebank. But I think an entire record without that voice making an appearance at least a few times might frustrate me.
That's good to know about the reissues. Is Forever Breathes one of them? It's not on Spotify. Regardless, I should probably get all of them because Spotify doesn't do the albums that they do have justice. :)

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Torgo wrote:
That's good to know about the reissues. Is Forever Breathes one of them? It's not on Spotify. Regardless, I should probably get all of them because Spotify doesn't do the albums that they do have justice. :)

It isn't. They only have done the first five, and Forever Breathes is unlucky number 6 and one that I'm now nearly desperate to get. You can find original pressings online, but they are well above anything I'm willing to pay, and I am a masochist at what I am willing to spend when it comes to getting whatever record I want, immediately. FTR, I did end up buying 17th Century, just out of a need to be a completist about things, and I love it. I worried an instrumental album without Deebank would be lacking. It isn't. It's pretty wonderful.

As for my other current obsession, found this Morricone oddity

Spacey drones, free jazz, retro futuristic bleeps and bloops. It hardly sounds anything like his other soundtracks, but is really compelling shit.

Between Felt and Morricone, I am going to end up a pauper in the gutter. But at least I will have all of these crates of records to build a new house with.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:58 am

Maybe it has something to do with the current hopeless global political situation, and how there is no escape for any of us, but this album has returned to being a mainstay in my apartment. Yes, my neighbour probably hates me.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 am

What album is that?

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am

I've been listening to the classics of hip-hop. Notorious BIG, 2Pac, Dr. Dre and N.W.A., Ice Cube, Outkast, etc. Also lesser stuff like Ludacris, The GAME, and others.

Also listening alot to the latest album from The National. Great stuff. I've never heard their older albums but based on this I want to get on that. I know MKS is a big fan.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 am

ski petrol wrote:
What album is that?

Ministry
Psalm 69

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 am

Ministry has an awful lot of great remixes on their singles, like this one of "Just One Fix" featuring William Burroughs.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am

ski petrol wrote:
Also listening alot to the latest album from The National. Great stuff. I've never heard their older albums but based on this I want to get on that. I know MKS is a big fan.

I've grown to appreciate their latest over time. It grew on me, as most of their albums eventually do. If you haven't, check out pretty much anything they've done before this. They are consistently great. MKS should be a big fan. Only jerks aren't.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 am

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I've grown to appreciate their latest over time. It grew on me, as most of their albums eventually do. If you haven't, check out pretty much anything they've done before this. They are consistently great. MKS should be a big fan. Only jerks aren't.

I got some albums to listen to including Trouble Will Find Me, High Violet and Boxer.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the current hopeless global political situation, and how there is no escape for any of us, but this album has returned to being a mainstay in my apartment. Yes, my neighbour probably hates me.
A solid record, with some killer highlights ("Corrosion", anyone?), but I've always found some of the songs on it to be somewhat repetitive in their writing, and lacking in personality/atmosphere; Ministry's finest moment was always The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, if you ask me...

\ m /

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 pm

For when I need a pick me up, seems like more often of late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syhBqULC99I

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:54 am

Felt nostalgic this morning and dug up this gem:

Honestly, if you can name a better songwriter name him/her? I can't...

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Japanese noise rock.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125