It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 6420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:27 am

Here's one for crumbs. I've finally been able to find an affordable original pressing of White Noise's An Electric Storm, which I almost didn't recognize at first because the original US cover has a bunch of multi-colored ears on the it.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Here's one for crumbs. I've finally been able to find an affordable original pressing of White Noise's An Electric Storm, which I almost didn't recognize at first because the original US cover has a bunch of multi-colored ears on the it.

Were you able to find that just digging? I've only come across the occasional reprint. I'm entirely fine with settling for reprints these days, but I've yet to get it for unknown reasons. Probably too busy buying records with terrible covers that I know absolutely nothing about. I think I've almost come to the point where I can't get excited about buying anything if I know even a single track on it. Otherwise, where is the adventure! Where's the risk! If I'm going to bankrupt myself, I may as well do it as irresponsibly and as fruitlessly as possible.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:13 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Were you able to find that just digging?

It wasn't quite as serendipitous as my finding Church of Anthrax at a consignment shop (fancy name for 'flea market') for a dollar last year. I got Electric Storm from a more upscale record store, and a tip from a friend who works there. It put me back ten bucks for a scratchy but playable copy, and I learned that the American pressing is actually more rare than the original UK, so I'm happy. I also snabbed a vinyl bootleg of a Talking Heads show from Chicago '78.

I've been seeing an awful lot of Italian imports from a label called Dagored of reissued soundtracks by the likes of Ennio Morricone that are quite pricey. My eyes have been on the one for Lizard in Woman's Skin, but it runs $45. I might post like a trust fund baby, but I assure you, I am not.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:26 am

Jinnistan wrote:
It wasn't quite as serendipitous as my finding Church of Anthrax at a consignment shop (fancy name for 'flea market') for a dollar last year. I got Electric Storm from a more upscale record store, and a tip from a friend who works there. It put me back ten bucks for a scratchy but playable copy, and I learned that the American pressing is actually more rare than the original UK, so I'm happy. I also snabbed a vinyl bootleg of a Talking Heads show from Chicago '78.

I've been seeing an awful lot of Italian imports from a label called Dagored of reissued soundtracks by the likes of Ennio Morricone that are quite pricey. My eyes have been on the one for Lizard in Woman's Skin, but it runs $45. I might post like a trust fund baby, but I assure you, I am not.

I used to come across original copies of Church of Anthrax with semi regularity. It's been a few years now, but I think they used to go for around $30, but I always passed since at the time I had zero idea who Terry Riley was.

I've bought a number of other Morricone's over the last few months and had to stop because they are just too damn expensive. There is a reissue of The Big Gundown that I really want to get though, and it is taunting me at my record store currently, but I just need to rebuild some sort of savings at the moment. I literally burned through my entire bank account by living and buying extravagantly for the last two years, out of some kind of disdain for actually holding onto money. It was probably not a good idea, even if it might have been fun in the moment.

I really need to stop living for the moment. For some reason it just keeps constantly getting me into trouble.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:50 am

crumbsroom wrote:
The Big Gundown

I have the John Zorn album, fwiw.

crumbsroom wrote:
I really need to stop living for the moment. For some reason it just keeps constantly getting me into trouble.

Nah, you just need to find some cheaper amusements. I mean, gosh, the corrie is free!

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 am

The synthwave/AOR stylings of Kidburn:

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:00 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I have the John Zorn album, fwiw.

Nah, you just need to find some cheaper amusements. I mean, gosh, the corrie is free!

I have no Zorn albums, to my shame. I'm not even sure I've come across any over the years.

I have many cheap amusements. Walking around my neighborhood drunk is a great one. I can do it for hours. Sadly, if I walk too far though, I end up back at the record shop. And record stores and alcohol are a real frightening mix.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 am

crumbsroom wrote:
And record stores and alcohol are a real frightening mix.

Like shopping for groceries on an empty stomach.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Like shopping for groceries on an empty stomach.

Basically. But I've never spent 500 dollars on a bunch of groceries I've never tasted before.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 am

Here's one I just came across a few minutes ago that I don't even remember buying.

It may have been sitting in here forgotten for weeks. Months. Years. But it's getting its moment in the sun right now.

I hope that's worth whatever it was I paid for it.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:49 am

This was my Sunday morning pancake-making soundtrack. Fans of Alice Coltrane or Pharaoh Sanders may enjoy this. Too bad he only made this one album in this style.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Too bad he only made this one album in this style.

His Unity is really good, but more in the mid-60s style of the other Coltrane.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 am

Jinnistan wrote:
His Unity is really good, but more in the mid-60s style of the other Coltrane.

Yeah, I like the Blue Note stuff as well, just wish he'd done more solo albums in the 70s. I gave the Fuel albums a try but I wasn't a fan.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 am

Gave myself a heavy dose of Morphine yesterday. Listened to their first three re!eases and almost forgot how good this band was.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Love Morphine. Cure for Pain is such a great album. There are no throwaway tracks and you can listen to it over and over without getting bored.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 pm

John Dumbear wrote:
Gave myself a heavy dose of Morphine yesterday. Listened to their first three re!eases and almost forgot how good this band was.

One of my favorite bands.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 pm
Profile WWW

Discovered this on The Blacklist TV show soundtrack

Me likey :)

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Discovered this on The Blacklist TV show soundtrack

Me likey :)

Nice! A Santana / Allman Bros mash-up with a hint of Kraftwerk.
Amirite?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129