It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Lots of weird ambient stuff like Gas' Narkopop, 2814's Rain Temple and Tangerine Dream's Quantum Gate. All recommended.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 pm

John Renbourn - The Verdant Braes of Screen

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Relistened to Bathory's Hammerheart recently while writing my review of Thor, to give me some good 'ol "Viking Metal" to get me in that sort of mood; still a great, classic record, and probably my favorite from him. "Shores In Flames" is just SO fucking \ m /

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:06 am

Haven't listened to that, but Under the Sign of the Black Mark has moved into my morning commute rotation.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am

Oooh, you guys have a music-listening emoji!

:dt880:

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am

Rock wrote:
Haven't listened to that, but Under the Sign of the Black Mark has moved into my morning commute rotation.
Not really a fan of Bathory's earlier, rawer, "blacker" records, but that goes for me and most black metal, to be honest with you; I just cannot enjoy those shitty-ass production jobs in the genre. I prefer those bands that can get across the style's inherently evil, misanthropic essence without resorting to making their guitars sound like dentist drills, like these guys: https://youtu.be/3ihVtuw2n0c
Rock wrote:
Oooh, you guys have a music-listening emoji!

:dt880:
And no one ever uses it! :P

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Not gonna lie, a big reason I've been listening to more metal lately is because it makes good productivity music for when I have to tune people out at work, which is why I've been leaning towards more abrasive stuff. Which probably makes me a terrible metal fan, but whatever. :dt880: :polar: :twisted:

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Rock wrote:
Not gonna lie, a big reason I've been listening to more metal lately is because it makes good productivity music for when I have to tune people out at work, which is why I've been leaning towards more abrasive stuff. Which probably makes me a terrible metal fan, but whatever. :dt880: :polar: :twisted:
Actually, it probably makes you a better, more "extreme" metal fan then me, and I've been listening to metal fairly regularly for about 20 years now, so that's something :P Anyway, the metal I've found to be the best for productivity is either the kind that's good, and gets me in the mood for the task at hand (i.e. listening to "Viking Metal" while writing about a "Viking" movie), or just the real simple/repetitive, but still super-catchy material, like that Ministry song "NWO"; one time when I was pulling an all-nighter studying for a Final back in college, I just listened to that one single song all night long. Must have heard it a thousand times, but I never got tired of it as study music, as it gave me something motivating but not distracting to listen to all night long.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ijOlAR3zs8

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:35 pm

The new Slow Dive
ELO (something about this time of year)
Anderson .Paak (I'm not thaaat white)
Mars Volta - Nocturniquet (possibly their best, definity their most underrated)

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Fuzzy, Weird and Jazzy in equal measure, there is some really funky weird shit to find on this album by Italian 'pop composer' Gerardo Iacoucci.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:47 am

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 am

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm addicted to a band that's probably very uncool to like these days: Pop Will Eat Itself. They're sort of a British Faith No More: politically-charged, experimental, cheeky sense of humor and they wantonly mash up genres, most notably rap, industrial and alt-rock. For those who don't know them, the band leader is Clint Mansell, the man who scored Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, etc.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am

Torgo, have you checked out Stellardrone or Kubusschnitt?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Torgo, have you checked out Stellardrone or Kubusschnitt?

No, but thanks for the recs! I'm also a fan of Klaus Schulze and Tim Hecker.
PopMatters posted this best ambient of 2017 list which I'm eager to explore: https://www.popmatters.com/best-ambient-instrumental-albums-2017-2513144740.html

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 am

I bought the soundtrack for Good Time on iTunes recently, and have tentatively concluded that it's probably my favorite film soundtrack of the year. The only runner ups so far are the scores for Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 (the latter's OST has grown on me after listening through it again and rewatching the film).

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 am

Charles Longboat Jr. wrote:
I bought the soundtrack for Good Time on iTunes recently, and have tentatively concluded that it's probably my favorite film soundtrack of the year. The only runner ups so far are the scores for Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 (the latter's OST has grown on me after listening through it again and rewatching the film).
Glad you found us, Longboat.
Yes, the Good Time soundtrack is awesome. It reminds me of a classic Tangerine Dream Score.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am

Anyone a fan of Cluster? If so, Sowiesoso is one of their best, as far as I'm concerned.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:36 am

Sorry about the stupid large picture above. I'm having some difficulties with the site hosting my images.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 am

I recently bought the Cluster 1971-81 box and all of it is good. Personally, I gravitate to the early noisy stuff but the later stuff is certainly worthy as well. This box includes the Eno albums.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:25 am

Earlier this week I went to see John McLaughlin in concert for the first time. (And last evidently, as this has been proclaimed his "Farewell America" tour) I approached this show with some trepidation, as I haven't been impressed with some of the footage I've seen of him from the past 20 years or so. I found he had a tendency to use cheesy 80s fusion effetcs and wasn't the J-Mac I loved anymore. I bought a ticket mostly just to say that I'd seen him live, but I'm happy to report that my fears were unfounded. He's not playing Gibsons anymore but his sound had the bite and muscle of his 70s recordings, and he's still playing well too. Granted it's not 1972 anymore and the show had sort of a concise safeness to it that a Mahavishnu-in-their-prime show wouldn't, but I'm still glad I went. I think the tour's almost over now but I'd recommend it if any of you are fans.

The tour features an opening set by jam band regular Jimmy Herring, who's very good, then a short set by JM, after which both bands take the stage and play Mahavishnu songs. Hearing all 9 musicians hit that opening chord of Meeting of the Spirits was a nice way to start the Mahavishnu portion. Good stuff.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:46 am

Saw St. Vincent the other day and wow, what a talent. Just a great show for the ears as well as the eyes. Great theatrics and solid sound. She can wail on the guitar and keys. If you get the chance to see her, I highly recommend it.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5eRyZPNj1w

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 am

Just now finished listening to David Bowie's "Blackstar". Listened to it for the first time last year and, boy, does it leave an impression. One of the most haunting and mystifying song I've listened to.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 am

Motorhead - Covers

Lemmy and the boys cover Bowie, Sex Pistols and more on this 11 track CD. Good production. Too bad Lemmy isn't still around. I saw them once but they never did any covers.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 am

Death Proof wrote:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:51 am
 Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

The new one from Fever Ray, Plunge. So sexy, love rollin' through the hood, head bobbin' steady. Catchin' the ladies when they pretendin' not to look. Mmmm... delicious.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Cluster's awesome, btw. Heard their two albums with Michael Rother of Neu!? Good stuff.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:52 pm

all damn day

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Can I get an amen?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 pm

I discovered the classic heavy metal band Manilla Road. How could I have not known about them until now? They're awesome!
"Necropolis" from the album Crystal Logic

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 pm

It needs more attention, but the new Grizzly Bear is solid. Several legit gems here, but at least a couple tracks that should have been swept away after a stint on the cutting room floor.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Morrissey - Low In High School. Another great one from the Moz.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Rock wrote:

Where did you come across this? This is really good.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 am

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:56 am

John Dumbear wrote:
Saw St. Vincent the other day and wow, what a talent. Just a great show for the ears as well as the eyes. Great theatrics and solid sound. She can wail on the guitar and keys. If you get the chance to see her, I highly recommend it.
That reminds me, I never wrote anything about seeing Metallica in concert in Atlanta with an old friend back in July (which was my first concert ever, in 29 years of life, believe it or not). Long story short, it wasn't a great concert, due to the rough-around-the-edges portable sound system the band brought with them, along with the less than ideal acoustics of the outdoor Atlanta Braves stadium, but besides that, it was still an entertaining worthwhile experience nonetheless. The band only played cuts off of their first 5 records (up through The Black Album) and their most recent, Hardwired, which seems smart, seeing as how big (and divisive) their body of work has become.

Unfortunately, the only thing they played off of Justice was "One", which is a shoe-in track anyway; I mean, I know it's their most ambitious, least concert-friendly album, but at least give us "The Shortest Straw", man! Besides that though, it was a pretty good show; lots of fancy pyrotechnics and old music videos of their's playing on the huge, in-stage screens behind them. At one point, they brought out these huge drums onstage, and every member of the band dropped their guitars and helped Lars bang on them for a while, and they even played a snippet of "Freak Out" at one point, which was fun. All in all, it was a good show, and I didn't regret going to it. I kind of want to see at least one concert a year from now on, now...

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 6140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123