It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127  Next
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
New album from Ghost is decent at first listen.

I was confused for a minute. I'm only familiar with the Japanese band Ghost, who've been disbanded for years.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm

I picked up a Charles Earland LP, Intensity recently. Mid-tier for the era, but a nice groove for a June evening.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm

During my recent viewing of Stunt Rock I was enjoying myself so much that I impulse-purchased the soundtrack CD before the movie was over.
It's about as great/terrible as expected with very, shall we say, Tufnel-esque lyrics. Still I admit that this riff inspired some head-bobbing on my way home from work.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 am

My friend turned me onto Izumi Kobayashi who makes music you want to drive really really fast to

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:14 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:17 am

Oh, we're going there, are we?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Oh, we're going there, are we?

You bastard. Because of that link, I was at my local trying to find it, right after vowing to give record storing a rest for at least a month. Couldn't find this particular record by them, but found another later one fairly cheap that I bought anyways. Because, why not.

Are you a fan of This Heat?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am

I've also recently been getting back into Van Morrison pretty heavily, particularly Veedon Fleece. Have been looking to sample some 'past peak' Van, and recently bought Beautiful Vision, which I think is a pretty damn good album, even if the cover is painfully awful. Was wondering if anyone has any insight on good Morrison albums from the late 70's and up. Already have my eyes on Common Ground and No Guru, but any suggestions would be wonderful.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Are you a fan of This Heat?

Absolutely. I'm Team Post-Punk in the whole punk schism thing. It's the punk for people who know how to play their instruments.

crumbsroom wrote:
I've also recently been getting back into Van Morrison pretty heavily, particularly Veedon Fleece. Have been looking to sample some 'past peak' Van, and recently bought Beautiful Vision, which I think is a pretty damn good album, even if the cover is painfully awful. Was wondering if anyone has any insight on good Morrison albums from the late 70's and up. Already have my eyes on Common Ground and No Guru, but any suggestions would be wonderful.

First of all, Veedon Fleece is outstanding, probably his last true classic among the handful he made.

I think Wavelength and Into The Music were strong albums to close the 70s. After that, oof, I'm less sure. I kinda agree with Greil Marcus that his 80s period was pretty but boring. Avalon Sunset is the only one I own, and I never play it. I know that there are fans of this period, like there's fans of stuff like Empire Burlesque, Steel Wheels, Press To Play or whatever else late midlife smack from classic rockers. I've tried them all, but no dice. The Van that sticks out to me are the 90s ones where he collaborates with John Lee Hooker, Georgie Fame and Pee Wee Ellis. Healing Game, Too Long In Exile, Tell Me Something. Like a lot of farts of the era, there's usually at least a couple gems on most of his albums.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:27 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Absolutely. I'm Team Post-Punk in the whole punk schism thing. It's the punk for people who know how to play their instruments.

First of all, Veedon Fleece is outstanding, probably his last true classic among the handful he made.

I think Wavelength and Into The Music were strong albums to close the 70s. After that, oof, I'm less sure. I kinda agree with Greil Marcus that his 80s period was pretty but boring. Avalon Sunset is the only one I own, and I never play it. I know that there are fans of this period, like there's fans of stuff like Empire Burlesque, Steel Wheels, Press To Play or whatever else late midlife smack from classic rockers. I've tried them all, but no dice. The Van that sticks out to me are the 90s ones where he collaborates with John Lee Hooker, Georgie Fame and Pee Wee Ellis. Healing Game, Too Long In Exile, Tell Me Something. Like a lot of farts of the era, there's usually at least a couple gems on most of his albums.

I was mainly asking because I recently read a book about Morrison and it was the rare (actually only) musical biography where I became more interested in it the more his career began to dissipate. Watching his artistic obstinancy calcify over the years is kind of fascinating. It made me feel that there must be something to find in his almost completely ignored later career. Avalon Sunset excluded. I keep coming across that one for sale and just can't muster enough interest to buy it.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I was mainly asking because I recently read a book about Morrison and it was the rare (actually only) musical biography where I became more interested in it the more his career began to dissipate. Watching his artistic obstinancy calcify over the years is kind of fascinating. It made me feel that there must be something to find in his almost completely ignored later career. Avalon Sunset excluded. I keep coming across that one for sale and just can't muster enough interest to buy it.

Which book is it, may I ask?

I think you'd probably be safer with either Common One or No Guru at this point.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Which book is it, may I ask?

Can You Feel the Silence.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Italian prog rock maestros Barock Project:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 pm

The best albums of 2018 so far

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:42 am

I recognize about...3 of those bands. I guess I'm an old man now.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 am

Torgo wrote:
I recognize about...3 of those bands. I guess I'm an old man now.
Tell me about it. It's like...the Carters? Who the fuck are they?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 am

BL wrote:
Tell me about it. It's like...the Carters? Who the fuck are they?

You shut your mouth about Jimmy and Rosemary!

Also, Greedo lol

EDIT: Fuck, Carter's wife was named Rosalynn, not Rosemary. I stand by my post.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 am

Love Niko Case & No Age. The rest.....*shrugs*

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm

I refuse to be an old man. I enjoyed these:

Electronic
Daniel Avery
Jon Hopkins
Oneohtrix Point Never
Rival Consoles

Rock/Metal
Screaming Females
Zeal & Ardor

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 am

I'm currently going through a Oingo Boingo phase.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:58 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:

I'll help!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:45 am

Slentert wrote:

I saw them in concert on Halloween. A very memorable show.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 am

ski petrol wrote:

I saw them in concert on Halloween. A very memorable show.
Pretty amazing that he has now become the John Williams of modern day film.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 am

Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 am

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:52 am

This is Toronto based band Weaves. This sat unlistened to in my pile of vinyl for two years and I'm not sure why. Dismissed it as yet another weirdo guitar pop band, and moved on. While it is that, it also has some incredible moments.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 am

The scam industry: How the hip-hop boom sets hopefuls up for failure

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:15 pm

I've had King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard in heavy rotation recently. It took a few tries for me to pick up what they were putting down.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Watch out Live at Leeds.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:54 am

Variety says "the audience falls like plums at his feet".

This may well be exactly how Neil Diamond makes me feel.

I am a fallen plum.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:00 am

50th Anniversary reissue of The Pretty Things' S.F. Sorrow is a bit slim on extras, but sounds great. Having undercut The Who by releasing a fully narrative concept LP (with a strongly operatic structure) at the same time as Townshend was in the studio laboring over Tommy, this album (of which Townshend was a big fan) has to stand along with the other great but somewhat unsung classics of 1968 British psychedelia - Ogden Nut's Gone Aflake, Odyssey & Oracle, Shine On Brightly, The Soft Machine, Move, ect.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:40 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Watch out Live at Leeds.

My all-time favorite Neil Diamond.

I still doubt that it would crack my top ten live albums of the 70s.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I still doubt that it would crack my top ten live albums of the 70s.

Now that I mention it, this has become a dilemma. I thought I would automatically exclude later reissues; only LPs released at the time. Then I wanted to eliminate those records notorious for post-production "doctoring" (Song Remains the Same, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out), and I find that I'm left with a pretty slim catalog to choose. Totally off-the-top:

Live At Leeds
Revolution of the Mind
Metallic K.O.
Amazing Grace
What You Hear is What You Get
Full House (J. Geils)
Hard Rain
Take No Prisoners
Stage
Lotus

The closest comparison to Diamond that I can see would be Van Morrison, and although generally I find Van to be a much more interesting and dynamic performer/writer, I've never been very satisfied with It's Too Late to Start Now, an amalgam of different shows, and not one of my favorite performances of any single song.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:18 am

Jinnistan wrote:
post-production "doctoring"

Over the years I've come to realize how common that was, and so I just assume it about all of my favorite albums now.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 am

Band of Gypsies and Nighthawks at the Diner are huge oversights on my part.

Captain Terror wrote:
Over the years I've come to realize how common that was, and so I just assume it about all of my favorite albums now.

Leeds is a good example of a less-doctored LP. There's a few seconds on the second side medley where they inserted some of the backing track in reverse, but all of the rest - the vocals, guitar licks, drums - all original from the performance, as can be compared using both the straight from raw tape acetates (a sizable trove of these live acetates from the Who's 69-70 shows have been booted) as well as the available audience tapes, which obviously have not been overdubbed at all. Or Gypsies, where "Machine Gun" is a pure live performance, with no edits, overdubs or FX-tampering.

But, yes, it was actually pretty common, and in a lot of cases I'm largely unfamiliar with the alterations. Very rarely (specifically in terms of Zeppelin or the Stones) have I found such enhancements to be improvements over the original performance.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Ogden Nut's Gone Flake, Odyssey & Oracle, Shine On Brightly

Three of my favorite albums, heh.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Back in 2016 I was replacing a hardwood floor and ended up in a discussion with the homeowner about music. I had an idea about what he liked based on some CDs he had, so I mentioned how much I liked Ogden's Nut Gone Flake and asked if he had heard it; it happened to be his favorite album. I ended up getting another $25,000 worth of work out of him.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Back in 2016 I was replacing a hardwood floor and ended up in a discussion with the homeowner about music. I had an idea about what he liked based on some CDs he had, so I mentioned how much I liked Ogden's Nut Gone Flake and asked if he had heard it; it happened to be his favorite album. I ended up getting another $25,000 worth of work out of him.

A favorite of mine as well. Have you gotten any of the deluxe versions? Seems like they release one every couple of years, so I've avoided getting any of them. This latest one comes with a DVD of a BBC performance, so I'm considering buying this one.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/small-faces-ogdens-nut-gone-flake-3cddvd-unsigned-edition/

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
A favorite of mine as well. Have you gotten any of the deluxe versions? Seems like they release one every couple of years, so I've avoided getting any of them. This latest one comes with a DVD of a BBC performance, so I'm considering buying this one.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/small-faces-ogdens-nut-gone-flake-3cddvd-unsigned-edition/

I don't have any of the deluxe versions, but that BBC performance looks interesting.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Now that I mention it, this has become a dilemma. I thought I would automatically exclude later reissues; only LPs released at the time. Then I wanted to eliminate those records notorious for post-production "doctoring" (Song Remains the Same, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out), and I find that I'm left with a pretty slim catalog to choose. Totally off-the-top:

Live At Leeds
Revolution of the Mind
Metallic K.O.
Amazing Grace
What You Hear is What You Get
Full House (J. Geils)
Hard Rain
Take No Prisoners
Stage
Lotus

The closest comparison to Diamond that I can see would be Van Morrison, and although generally I find Van to be a much more interesting and dynamic performer/writer, I've never been very satisfied with It's Too Late to Start Now, an amalgam of different shows, and not one of my favorite performances of any single song.

The reality for me is that nothing is likely to ever top Leeds in my mind (easily my favourite Who album as well). The only reason I was even teasing the claim is my enthusiasm for a number of the tracks on August Night, preferring many of these to the studio versions. This is a rarity for me since I'm generally not much of a live album person, but if anyone out there thinks that the studio versions of Sweet Caroline or Holly Holy or Cracklin Rosie even come close to the beautifully overripe, melodramatic versions here, they're nuts. The album also introduces a lot of good deep Diamond cuts that one might otherwise have to wade through his generally terrible albums to get to.

I've been considering getting the Morrison album for awhile now, but it is stupidly overpriced at the moment, and so have just instead been continuing on with my goal of filling up my collection with more of his overlooked gems.

Nighthawks at the Diner would definitely be another one that would be in contention for me. Almost certainly a top 5 Waits album, and that is saying something.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:00 pm

The concert that ended up being cut down for King Crimson's decent USA is damn good. The released the full recording on their site a few years back as June 28, 1974 - Casino, Asbury Park, New Jersey. Their best live work until Absent Lovers in 1984.

Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 is an all-timer.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Three of my favorite albums, heh.

I'm fond of the era. I would also toss the Incredible String Band's Hangman's Beautiful Daughter in there.

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I ended up getting another $25,000 worth of work out of him.

Almost like it was the afterglow. Of his love.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I've been considering getting the Morrison album for awhile now, but it is stupidly overpriced at the moment, and so have just instead been continuing on with my goal of filling up my collection with more of his overlooked gems.

If you choose, I would get the more recent 3CD edition that came out, which restores the three full shows with the Rainbow show being pretty great.

All of my very favorite Van shows are on bootleg, so I'm not sure if you care to seek them out. As a legendarily tempermental performer, he can flucuate in quality even within songs. If anyone finds In My New World Crystal Ball, a '71 late show from a small San Francisco club, it's exceptional in every way.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Somebody I know who totally isn't me tried to illegally download one song the other night, but could not find it online. The CD is out of print, and it's not available to download legally from Amazon, etc. Where would this not-me friend go to accomplish this? Last thing I knew about was Limewire and that seems to be defunct.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
If you choose, I would get the more recent 3CD edition that came out, which restores the three full shows with the Rainbow show being pretty great.

All of my very favorite Van shows are on bootleg, so I'm not sure if you care to seek them out. As a legendarily tempermental performer, he can flucuate in quality even within songs. If anyone finds In My New World Crystal Ball, a '71 late show from a small San Francisco club, it's exceptional in every way.

I'm not opposed to Bootlegs I just don't seek them out, considering I already have enough on my hands without having to start buying those too.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I'm not opposed to Bootlegs I just don't seek them out, considering I already have enough on my hands without having to start buying those too.

"Buy"?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am

I'm interested in songs that are about dark subject matter, but don't seem like they are if you're not paying attention, such as Suzanne Vega's "Luka" (about child abuse) and The Bolshoi's "Away" (about child prostitution). Are there any others?
The exact opposite is also interesting, such as Type O Negative's cover of "Summer Breeze."

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Torgo wrote:
I'm interested in songs that are about dark subject matter, but don't seem like they are if you're not paying attention, such as Suzanne Vega's "Luka" (about child abuse) and The Bolshoi's "Away" (about child prostitution). Are there any others?
The exact opposite is also interesting, such as Type O Negative's cover of "Summer Breeze."

"Oh Candy" by Cheap Trick
A song about a friend's suicide that happens to be catchy as hell.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127  Next