It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
New album from Ghost is decent at first listen.

I was confused for a minute. I'm only familiar with the Japanese band Ghost, who've been disbanded for years.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm

I picked up a Charles Earland LP, Intensity recently. Mid-tier for the era, but a nice groove for a June evening.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm

During my recent viewing of Stunt Rock I was enjoying myself so much that I impulse-purchased the soundtrack CD before the movie was over.
It's about as great/terrible as expected with very, shall we say, Tufnel-esque lyrics. Still I admit that this riff inspired some head-bobbing on my way home from work.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 am

My friend turned me onto Izumi Kobayashi who makes music you want to drive really really fast to

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:14 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:17 am

Oh, we're going there, are we?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Oh, we're going there, are we?

You bastard. Because of that link, I was at my local trying to find it, right after vowing to give record storing a rest for at least a month. Couldn't find this particular record by them, but found another later one fairly cheap that I bought anyways. Because, why not.

Are you a fan of This Heat?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am

I've also recently been getting back into Van Morrison pretty heavily, particularly Veedon Fleece. Have been looking to sample some 'past peak' Van, and recently bought Beautiful Vision, which I think is a pretty damn good album, even if the cover is painfully awful. Was wondering if anyone has any insight on good Morrison albums from the late 70's and up. Already have my eyes on Common Ground and No Guru, but any suggestions would be wonderful.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Are you a fan of This Heat?

Absolutely. I'm Team Post-Punk in the whole punk schism thing. It's the punk for people who know how to play their instruments.

crumbsroom wrote:
I've also recently been getting back into Van Morrison pretty heavily, particularly Veedon Fleece. Have been looking to sample some 'past peak' Van, and recently bought Beautiful Vision, which I think is a pretty damn good album, even if the cover is painfully awful. Was wondering if anyone has any insight on good Morrison albums from the late 70's and up. Already have my eyes on Common Ground and No Guru, but any suggestions would be wonderful.

First of all, Veedon Fleece is outstanding, probably his last true classic among the handful he made.

I think Wavelength and Into The Music were strong albums to close the 70s. After that, oof, I'm less sure. I kinda agree with Greil Marcus that his 80s period was pretty but boring. Avalon Sunset is the only one I own, and I never play it. I know that there are fans of this period, like there's fans of stuff like Empire Burlesque, Steel Wheels, Press To Play or whatever else late midlife smack from classic rockers. I've tried them all, but no dice. The Van that sticks out to me are the 90s ones where he collaborates with John Lee Hooker, Georgie Fame and Pee Wee Ellis. Healing Game, Too Long In Exile, Tell Me Something. Like a lot of farts of the era, there's usually at least a couple gems on most of his albums.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:27 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Absolutely. I'm Team Post-Punk in the whole punk schism thing. It's the punk for people who know how to play their instruments.

First of all, Veedon Fleece is outstanding, probably his last true classic among the handful he made.

I think Wavelength and Into The Music were strong albums to close the 70s. After that, oof, I'm less sure. I kinda agree with Greil Marcus that his 80s period was pretty but boring. Avalon Sunset is the only one I own, and I never play it. I know that there are fans of this period, like there's fans of stuff like Empire Burlesque, Steel Wheels, Press To Play or whatever else late midlife smack from classic rockers. I've tried them all, but no dice. The Van that sticks out to me are the 90s ones where he collaborates with John Lee Hooker, Georgie Fame and Pee Wee Ellis. Healing Game, Too Long In Exile, Tell Me Something. Like a lot of farts of the era, there's usually at least a couple gems on most of his albums.

I was mainly asking because I recently read a book about Morrison and it was the rare (actually only) musical biography where I became more interested in it the more his career began to dissipate. Watching his artistic obstinancy calcify over the years is kind of fascinating. It made me feel that there must be something to find in his almost completely ignored later career. Avalon Sunset excluded. I keep coming across that one for sale and just can't muster enough interest to buy it.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I was mainly asking because I recently read a book about Morrison and it was the rare (actually only) musical biography where I became more interested in it the more his career began to dissipate. Watching his artistic obstinancy calcify over the years is kind of fascinating. It made me feel that there must be something to find in his almost completely ignored later career. Avalon Sunset excluded. I keep coming across that one for sale and just can't muster enough interest to buy it.

Which book is it, may I ask?

I think you'd probably be safer with either Common One or No Guru at this point.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Which book is it, may I ask?

Can You Feel the Silence.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Italian prog rock maestros Barock Project:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 pm

The best albums of 2018 so far

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:42 am

I recognize about...3 of those bands. I guess I'm an old man now.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 am

Torgo wrote:
I recognize about...3 of those bands. I guess I'm an old man now.
Tell me about it. It's like...the Carters? Who the fuck are they?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 am

BL wrote:
Tell me about it. It's like...the Carters? Who the fuck are they?

You shut your mouth about Jimmy and Rosemary!

Also, Greedo lol

EDIT: Fuck, Carter's wife was named Rosalynn, not Rosemary. I stand by my post.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 am

Love Niko Case & No Age. The rest.....*shrugs*

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm

I refuse to be an old man. I enjoyed these:

Electronic
Daniel Avery
Jon Hopkins
Oneohtrix Point Never
Rival Consoles

Rock/Metal
Screaming Females
Zeal & Ardor

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126