It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

Their EP is condensed awesomeness.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:36 pm

From one of my favorite albums of this year:

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Bought this mostly as a curiosity, thinking it might be alright as some florrid background music, but was pleased to find out it is just one funky, weird, inventive track after another.

Like this one example of many:

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:43 am

I've found the music in the Rollins I've seen groovy enough but don't remember anything as good as that. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Also, the placement of that cat is awfully convenient.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:49 am

I saw this Gil Scott-Heron concert film from 1982 recently on Prime, which is about th tail end of his prime period before getting lost in his own addiction issues, sadly fulfilling some of his bst songs, like "The Bottle" and "Home is Where the Hatred Is".

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:53 am

As for Rollin, this one has nice ambience.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:01 am

Rock wrote:
Also, the placement of that cat is awfully convenient.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:06 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I saw this Gil Scott-Heron concert film from 1982 recently on Prime, which is about th tail end of his prime period before getting lost in his own addiction issues, sadly fulfilling some of his bst songs, like "The Bottle" and "Home is Where the Hatred Is".

Watching this brought to mind an artist I'd forget about for a long time now.

You a fan of Garland Jeffrey's at all. Because this guy has some criminally underrated stuff.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:30 am

crumbsroom wrote:
You a fan of Garland Jeffrey's at all. Because this guy has some criminally underrated stuff.

I'm only marginally familiar with him (making me the criminal). I can't hate anyone who can rock a solid "96 Tears".

On an entirely different milieu, I also watched the Residents doc The Theory of Obscurity, and it's nice to see the guys still trying to keep obscure (although we all know their real names by now), and it makes a convincing case that they were the true aesthetic revolutionaries of the punk era. Guerrilla as fuck. I hope Jann Wenner still wakes up in cold sweat, vaguely sensing their presence in his darkest bedroom shadows.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:03 am

Mostly Electric Ladyland.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Hard to find intact studio versions, Janie Hendrix is always taking them down.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mostly Electric Ladyland.

I got the 50th anniversery set recently.

I'm a little iffy on the extras. I already had the hotel demos, and they don't sound terribly better here. There's a teased new song in "Snowballs at My Window", but of course it's a goof less than a minute long. Most fascinating is the alternate take of "1983", the last track on the bonus disc. Not only has it not been booted before, it again shows just how meticulously Jimi had structured the recording of the song.

I wish they had sprung for an additional disc to collect some of the more commonly known and booted outtakes: "South Saturn Delta", "Tax Free", "Somewhere", "Cherokee Mist" (the sitar version finally issued on last year's Both Sides of the Sky) and the lovely 90 second solo guitar take of "Have You Ever Been" which has been around since Loose Ends. Also, since they dipped in the demos, it would have been nice to get the '68 era "spoken" version of "Room Full of Mirrors" (although to be fair, it is about 22 minutes long, and isn't on Youtube either).

Finally, the Hollywood Bowl show is a mess, frequently stopped due to "splashing" and electricution risk, but is especially interesting to me because it was the first audience-sourced bootleg I ever bought (TMOQ), and I very quickly decided that I had little interest in audience-sourced live shows. This new set introduces a brand new, unknown soundboard of the show. Despite all of the chaos, it is nice to finally hear what it sounded like.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:23 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I got the 50th anniversery set recently.

I'm a little iffy on the extras. I already had the hotel demos, and they don't sound terribly better here. There's a teased new song in "Snowballs at My Window", but of course it's a goof less than a minute long. Most fascinating is the alternate take of "1983", the last track on the bonus disc. Not only has it not been booted before, it again shows just how meticulously Jimi had structured the recording of the song.

I wish they had sprung for an additional disc to collect some of the more commonly known and booted outtakes: "South Saturn Delta", "Tax Free", "Somewhere", "Cherokee Mist" (the sitar version finally issued on last year's Both Sides of the Sky) and the lovely 90 second solo guitar take of "Have You Ever Been" which has been around since Loose Ends. Also, since they dipped in the demos, it would have been nice to get the '68 era "spoken" version of "Room Full of Mirrors" (although to be fair, it is about 22 minutes long, and isn't on Youtube either).

Finally, the Hollywood Bowl show is a mess, frequently stopped due to "splashing" and electricution risk, but is especially interesting to me because it was the first audience-sourced bootleg I ever bought (TMOQ), and I very quickly decided that I had little interest in audience-sourced live shows. This new set introduces a brand new, unknown soundboard of the show. Despite all of the chaos, it is nice to finally hear what it sounded like.

How about the Blu Ray? A friend bought the set and flipped out over the 5.1 mix.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 am

Captain Terror wrote:
How about the Blu Ray? A friend bought the set and flipped out over the 5.1 mix.

Haven't gotten to that yet (or the 5.1 of the White Album). I'm sure that it will make use of the circular phase pans of the original with a bit more depth.

I know that Jimi was unhappy that, when originally mastered, the record company "corrected" some of these phase effects. I'm not sure if this can truly be faithfully replicated 50 years after the fact, but who knows?

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Haven't gotten to that yet (or the 5.1 of the White Album). I'm sure that it will make use of the circular phase pans of the original with a bit more depth.

I know that Jimi was unhappy that, when originally mastered, the record company "corrected" some of these phase effects. I'm not sure if this can truly be faithfully replicated 50 years after the fact, but who knows?

I'm not really big on the surround thing anyway, but my friend's reaction piqued my interest. He's a professional musician though, so he's sometimes impressed by things that mean nothing to me, if you know what I mean. Still, I've got the set on my Christmas list, so here's hoping I can hear it first-hand at no cost to my wallet.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:58 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm not really big on the surround thing anyway, but my friend's reaction piqued my interest. He's a professional musician though, so he's sometimes impressed by things that mean nothing to me, if you know what I mean. Still, I've got the set on my Christmas list, so here's hoping I can hear it first-hand at no cost to my wallet.

I don't mean to shrug off your friend's excitement. The album is a sonic marvel, with most of these effects being done manually (ie, twiddling knobs) as the devices to produce such phase/flange/delay FX hadn't been manufactured yet. Any chance to hear it with more clarity is welcome.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Any chance to hear it with more clarity is welcome.

Agreed. I've still got the old 90s CD (the one with the revisionist cover) so I'm just looking at this as an upgrade, even if I rarely listen to the bonus stuff.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 am

I don't know why, but I generally have no interest in these reissues. I feel satisfied with the Electric Ladyland I have and, like you, I have a ton of Hendrix content beyond the albums and posthumous releases. What you're telling me is not making me feel like there's good stuff I'd be missing if I didn't get the 50th.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Rock wrote:

The only thing that can make Devo better is if Neil Young was in their band

Unfortunately, it cuts off before it hits maximum Devo/Young madness. You'll have to endure the pretty horrendous Neil Young film Human Highway to watch the entire performance.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 am

According to Spotify I've spent over 25 hours listening to the Beatles this year. This doesn't even count the amount of hours I listened to clips of them on youtube.

Time well spent I'd say.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
According to Spotify I've spent over 25 hours listening to the Beatles this year. This doesn't even count the amount of hours I listened to clips of them on youtube.

Time well spent I'd say.

I would say at the peak of my Beatles fixation, I was listening to them at least 25 hours a week. And that would be on a very bad week. Of course this is very easy when you refuse to listen to anything else but them for 3, maybe 4 years.

Also time well spent.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:31 am

Speaking of Devo has led me down a rabbit hole of listening to everything I have by them. And it has brought back memories of how at 5 years old this was my favorite song of all time

If only I could convince my family to have the lyrics "Pink Pussycat, Meow Meow Meow" etched on my tombstone. It encapsulates everything I have to say about this stupid life.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am

crumbsroom wrote:

The only thing that can make Devo better is if Neil Young was in their band

Unfortunately, it cuts off before it hits maximum Devo/Young madness. You'll have to endure the pretty horrendous Neil Young film Human Highway to watch the entire performance.

How horrendous are we talking here? The Wikipedia page makes it sound like an interesting enough oddity, and it looks like Bay Street Video might have a copy.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Speaking of Devo has led me down a rabbit hole of listening to everything I have by them. And it has brought back memories of how at 5 years old this was my favorite song of all time

If only I could convince my family to have the lyrics "Pink Pussycat, Meow Meow Meow" etched on my tombstone. It encapsulates everything I have to say about this stupid life.

Duty Now For the Future has the misfortune of coming between two unreasonably great albums (some days I'd call Freedom of Choice my favourite album period), but when I'm taking a break from those two, it makes for nice alternative programming, especially as it plays like a transition between the other two, serving as a best of both worlds in a way. (It helps that it's still pretty great on its own.) As for favourite track, I'd have to go with "Secret Agent Man", but rather than posting the version from the album, here's a lightning fast live performance.

And a slower, weirder, earlier version that shows up in the Men Who Make The Music video compilation. (The opening to this got repurposed into the intro to "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA".)

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Rock wrote:
How horrendous are we talking here? The Wikipedia page makes it sound like an interesting enough oddity, and it looks like Bay Street Video might have a copy.

It's got Young and Devo in it, so it is worth it for those willing to take the plunge. But it is pretty crappy when considered as being anything but the oddity that it is. Especially when one of the greatest moments in the film is a live performance of Come Back Jonee, something I apparently completely imagined since I can find absolutely no evidence of it ever happening. But trust me when I say, whether it exists or not, this is well worth the price of admission.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Rock wrote:
Duty Now For the Future has the misfortune of coming between two unreasonably great albums [/youtube]

I have no shame in calling it my favorite Devo album.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:51 pm

I've been trying to seek out the rare early Devo comps, Hardcore Devo, but they're out of print. Toronto probably has warehouses full of them, prepping for the inevitable pop apocalypse.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 am

crumbsroom wrote:

It's got Young and Devo in it, so it is worth it for those willing to take the plunge. But it is pretty crappy when considered as being anything but the oddity that it is. Especially when one of the greatest moments in the film is a live performance of Come Back Jonee, something I apparently completely imagined since I can find absolutely no evidence of it ever happening. But trust me when I say, whether it exists or not, this is well worth the price of admission.

I just watched the movie and can confirm that such a thing does indeed happen, if only briefly (we don't get the whole song). I'm not sure the performance footage from the music video is the same as the movie, but it does feature the same costumes (which apparently Young bought them to persuade them to be in the movie).

Also, while the movie has obvious shortcomings, I find it too good natured to dislike. And Booji Boy cheering on the oncoming apocalypse is something to behold.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I've been trying to seek out the rare early Devo comps, Hardcore Devo, but they're out of print. Toronto probably has warehouses full of them, prepping for the inevitable pop apocalypse.

That was on YouTube in full a while ago, but it looks like it's been taken down since.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128