It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 18844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Sat May 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Profile WWW

Brooklyn Nine Nine claimed on waivers by NBC. I would have preferred it be The Last Man On Earth but whatever.

Sun May 13, 2018 6:46 am

Captain Oats wrote:
Huzzah!

Sun May 13, 2018 10:45 am

Anyway, I forgot to share this earlier, as it's one of the funnier bits I've seen from SNL in some time, with a great premise that's, well, pretty self-explanatory:

Although, one minor nitpick I have with it is that it would've been funnier if, instead of whispering, if the entire cast had actually communicated in ASL, instead of just some token use of it from Beck Bennett's Krasinski look-alike; not only would this have made it more accurate to the film, but also, I'd argue, make it even funnier, as it would've served as a greater contrast, playing everything out in complete (but frenzied) silent communication, before the inevitable freak-outs happen and serve as one of the only major sources of noise. I mean, can't you just imagine how much funnier that would've been? Aw, SNL, always squandering some of your comedic potential. Still very much worth watching, though.

Sun May 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I binged The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime over the weekend. It's incredibly entertaining, not to mention a showcase for the acting talent of Rachel Brosnahan, who you may know as the prostitute from House of Cards. Tony Shalhoub and Alex Borstein are also very good. It also has an even more impressive depiction of late '50s New York than Mad Men, believe it or not.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Torgo wrote:
I binged The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime over the weekend. It's incredibly entertaining, not to mention a showcase for the acting talent of Rachel Brosnahan, who you may know as the prostitute from House of Cards. Tony Shalhoub and Alex Borstein are also very good. It also has an even more impressive depiction of late '50s New York than Mad Men, believe it or not.

I've been curious about it mostly for Brosnahan. I should add that she was great in the criminally underrated, underseen, and short-lived show Manhattan.

Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 am

They've been advertising that on Instagram with the clip of Shaloub turning off the TV and the kid crying, which I thought was pretty funny.

Tue May 15, 2018 2:06 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
They've been advertising that on Instagram with the clip of Shaloub turning off the TV and the kid crying, which I thought was pretty funny.
There are a lot of funny moments like that, many involving Shalhoub. He also builds a little fort out of old books.

Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 am

Barry season finale was fine as far as wrapping up a few storylines but the epilogue was confusing in that the aftermath came off like another of Barry's reveries. I kept wondering, "Wait...is this real?" I'm still not completely sure it was but if so it was a bit of a misstep. All in all though a pretty good show and one worth checking out if you haven't.

Tue May 15, 2018 4:51 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Barry season finale was fine as far as wrapping up a few storylines but the epilogue was confusing in that the aftermath came off like another of Barry's reveries. I kept wondering, "Wait...is this real?" I'm still not completely sure it was but if so it was a bit of a misstep. All in all though a pretty good show and one worth checking out if you haven't.

They talk about that here.
http://collider.com/barry-finale-explained-bill-hader/

Tue May 15, 2018 2:00 pm
Profile YIM

Why does the last episode of Barry need an explanation?

Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 am

I saw Mayim Bialik on Colbert this week. I'm maybe a little sore that she still is responsible for my having a post taken out of contxt and posted on twitter by one of Weinstein's victims, due to her belief that being frumpy and Jewish is the best defense against sexual harassment. So of course she's orthodox.

Colbert asks her about the Nephilim, because she's orthodox, and naturally she has no idea what the Nephilim are. I mean, why should she, except that the orthodox Jewry like to act superior precisely for knowing such dumb shit. She claimed that it was a different bible, but of course, she's stupid. The Nephilim are in the Hebrew Pentateuch, duh. I only hope that eventually enough of this country's stupid bastards forget to keep watching the Big Bang Theory so we can all forget to remind ourselves of this bitch.

Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am

Jinnistan wrote:
The Nephilim are in the Hebrew Pentateuch, duh.

Got 'er!

Mayim, you eat that shit!

;)

[That is a bit surprising that she claims orthodoxy and they don't even talk about the variant translations of "unicorn" in the Bible either. If I'd been in the guest chair, I would've enjoyed the hell out of that conversation. Shooting the shit about Leviathan and Behemoth and the monoceros and the mythic Ziz that *might* be cited in an offhand way. Shit's fascinating.]

Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 am

DaMU wrote:
More like Turd Blossom.

Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 am

DaMU wrote:

Got 'er!

;)

[That is a bit surprising that she claims orthodoxy and they don't even talk about the variant translations of "unicorn" in the Bible either. If I'd been in the guest chair, I would've enjoyed the hell out of that conversation. Shooting the shit about Leviathan and Behemoth and the monoceros and the mythic Ziz that *might* be cited in an offhand way. Shit's fascinating.]

I may have been a little harsh, but here's the thing. Colbert was obviously trying to make a common connection with their faiths, and she just sorta brushed him off like a weirdo. She's obviously very proud of her orthodoxy, except that stuff about biblical literacy it seems, and that pride comes off as conceited both in her lack of knowledge and her apparent disinterest in it.

All in all, it's a pattern from everything I've been seeing or reading about her. The Weinstein thing is still worse though. Blossom is just not a very good person.

Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 am

Captain Oats wrote:

Speaking of: the Brooklyn 99 season finale was so good.

--We have not met.
--Yes we have.
--Did you sell me horse blood?
--No!
--Do you want to buy some horse blood?
--NO!

Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 am

Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 am
Profile WWW

Wed May 23, 2018 8:43 pm
Profile WWW

Matt Groening's new Netflix series Disenchantment comes out in August!

Thu May 24, 2018 12:44 am

My sister actually met Mayim Bialik at some kind of education conference a few years back. They were seated next to each other at a table and she told me she was standoffish and borderline rude. Maybe she's just an a-hole.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Oh and after a five year wait season 5 of Arrested Development is available May 29th on Netflix. This time they're all together. In the same room and everything.
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXg2_yExgVY

Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 pm

Captain Oats wrote:
I just checked out the trailer for this just now:

Looks extremely er, Refn-ish, which is a good thing, depending on who you ask, of course... which it is for me, seeing as how I was a big fan of Drive, and even Only God Forgives (visual style can go a long, long way to covering up other flaws). Which reminds me, I still need to check out The Neon Demon sometime, whenever I get a chance.

Mon May 28, 2018 9:21 am

Now the story...

Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am

Andrew Lincoln to Exit The Walking Dead in Season 9

:!:

Wed May 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Now the story...

I loved the original 3 seasons but I've never had the urge to watch the newer stuff. Is season 4 worth a damn?

Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm

LOL...Rosanne

What a twat.

Wed May 30, 2018 11:01 pm

John Dumbear wrote:
LOL...Rosanne

What a twat.

Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 pm

I can't fathom why anyone would be shocked about the whole Roseanne fiasco. The hair-trigger network response was a little surprising but Barr was always an unstable wingnut. Then you slather old and cranky on top of that and she was just following her natural path to it's pathetic conclusion. Good riddance.

Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 am

Thu May 31, 2018 5:22 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I can't fathom why anyone would be shocked about the whole Roseanne fiasco. The hair-trigger network response was a little surprising but Barr was always an unstable wingnut. Then you slather old and cranky on top of that and she was just following her natural path to it's pathetic conclusion. Good riddance.

Disney swingin' that big dick...

Great avatar by the way.

Thu May 31, 2018 9:50 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:

Roseanne had already been tweeting batshit stuff about the Clinton/Podesta pedophile rings all throughout her show's success, but either people weren't interested or aware or, as the certain new conspiracy twist will have it, that this is the real reason why her show was cancelled. But ABC can't draw attention to their Hollywood Satanism, so instead they used Roseanne's fondness for derogatory anthopormorphic metaphors as an excuse to take down the tellers of truth.

I'm not proud, but, yes, I would watch her sex tape with Alex Jones, directed by a masturbating Roger Stone. Oh, it's out there folks. It's all out there.

Thu May 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I loved the original 3 seasons but I've never had the urge to watch the newer stuff. Is season 4 worth a damn?

I loved S4, but it had a different rhythm than the previous series. Much of this is because they didn't use any of the old directors, but also because they chose a novel idea of making each of the principle characters the focus of two episodes apiece. Maybe realizing that the show was going to be immediately binged, it seems like it was designed like a jigsaw puzzle. We see several marginal interactions which only make sense when we learn their context in later episodes, and on a rewatch, there's innumerable jokes which can only be gotten after having a more "holistic" perspective on the events of the season. I admire this non-linear approach, but it apparently drove a number of critics and fans crazy, and this has led to the recent re-edited versions of this season where the story is more straightened out, the episodes are not so strictly fixed on individual characters, and is presumably supposed to be less confusing overall. I haven't watched them yet, although I will soon, especially as this new season was a lot shorter (a mere 8 episodes) than I was expecting. Based on the mixed reaction from fans, I would not recommend watching these re-edits in lieu of the original uncut versions.

As for this new season, I don't think it's a coincidence that it follows this attempt to edit out a lot of the risk and ambition from S4, because, sad to say, it feels fairly pedestrian on first watch. There's no real surprises from the characters as we know them, the plot arc is not terribly complicated, and although there's plenty of dependable laughs throughout, there's no clear classic highs as we've gotten in past seasons.

For example to those who have seen S4, nothing to compare to "feral Jesus", "Sexual Predator" or the Tony Wonder tryst.

Thu May 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I loved S4, but it had a different rhythm than the previous series. Much of this is because they didn't use any of the old directors, but also because they chose a novel idea of making each of the principle characters the focus of two episodes apiece. Maybe realizing that the show was going to be immediately binged, it seems like it was designed like a jigsaw puzzle. We see several marginal interactions which only make sense when we learn their context in later episodes, and on a rewatch, there's innumerable jokes which can only be gotten after having a more "holistic" perspective on the events of the season. I admire this non-linear approach, but it apparently drove a number of critics and fans crazy, and this has led to the recent re-edited versions of this season where the story is more straightened out, the episodes are not so strictly fixed on individual characters, and is presumably supposed to be less confusing overall. I haven't watched them yet, although I will soon, especially as this new season was a lot shorter (a mere 8 episodes) than I was expecting. Based on the mixed reaction from fans, I would not recommend watching these re-edits in lieu of the original uncut versions.

As for this new season, I don't think it's a coincidence that it follows this attempt to edit out a lot of the risk and ambition from S4, because, sad to say, it feels fairly pedestrian on first watch. There's no real surprises from the characters as we know them, the plot arc is not terribly complicated, and although there's plenty of dependable laughs throughout, there's no clear classic highs as we've gotten in past seasons.

For example to those who have seen S4, nothing to compare to "feral Jesus", "Sexual Predator" or the Tony Wonder tryst.

I liked S4 too for the reasons you mentioned but I think all the actors’ other obligations made for a scheduling nightmare that ultimately hurt the final product, as we sometimes focus more on the less interesting stories and more cringey side characters to flesh out the season.

This new season is actually split up. We get 8 episodes now and 8 later in the year (August I think). It’s a new format Netflix is trying out with this show and a Kimmy Schmidt. I’m not a fan of this format.

I finished the 8 episodes of S5 yesterday and yeah they’re not super funny or inspired.

Thu May 31, 2018 11:21 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Disney swingin' that big dick...

Great avatar by the way.
Thank you.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:02 am

ABC is still trying to brainstorm ways to do Roseanne without, er... Roseanne

lollerskates

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Finally finished up Parks and Recreation. Fairly or unfairly I'm using 30 Rock as the yardstick given that they're both half hour sitcoms with a strong female lead, a memorable male mentor of sorts and a collection of oddball supporting characters. I don't think P&R is as strong as 30R but it is consistently funny. And I don't know if it's because I mostly binge watched it but I did notice that it leaned heavily on life affirming plotlines and epiphanies, plus the characters were able to switch jobs and career paths basically on a whim. But that's a quibbling point given the absurdities of the majority of the episodes. Which were, all in all, as entertaining as any other "classic" sitcom I could name. And I finally understand all the talk I kept hearing about Ron Swanson.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm starting to lose a little bit of patience with Westworld. I know she's more or less been set up as the main antagonist and all but they need to kill off Hale already. I thought this last episode was going to deal with that but then they fell back on that most shopworn of gimmicks, the fortuitous distraction. I can only hope they're leading up to a harrowing and implacable end for her.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm

I don't even think she's the secondary antagonist, never mind the main antagonist. She'll be gone soon enough.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 pm

I see it as being divided between the "hosts" and their human sympathizers going up against the QA people and Hale. I know Dolores comes off as a murderous psychopath but I still see her as a protagonist.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:28 am

The Duplass Brothers-produced Netflix documentary series Wild Wild Country, which is about the Rajneesh movement's invasion of rural Oregon in the early '80s, is very good so far. I'm very surprised I'd never heard about it until now. It seems like it's on the same level as Jim Jones' and David Koresh's cults.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:59 am

HBO just greenlit a new Game of Thrones prequel series

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Is anyone watching Evil Genius on Netflix? As a documentary I have some issues with it, but what a story. Jeezus.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:32 am

James McAvoy to star in BBC's His Dark Materials

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Gotta make that $$$ while it's hot.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Tonight's episode of Westworld was pretty darn great. They went for emotional and nailed it. Aside from annoying stuff like keeping Hale around this is still one of the best shows on right now.

And I don't know why but I watched (mostly as background noise) a couple of episodes of Fear the Walking Dead (including the mid season finale) after having blown it off a couple of seasons ago. It's still uninspired crap but they are busily killing off some of the more egregious characters so there's that.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:19 pm

The last season (prior to this one) of Fear the Walking Dead was legitimately good. This one's been okay, but you can definitely feel the Scott Gimple effect that has all but killed The Walking Dead - too many time jumps and nonlinear storytelling to help mask poor writing/pre-planning.

I like Westworld, but it's just passable entertainment. Reminds me of the later seasons of Lost, in a way - it stays relevant more with its central mysteries than with its characters.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
The last season (prior to this one) of Fear the Walking Dead was legitimately good. This one's been okay, but you can definitely feel the Scott Gimple effect that has all but killed The Walking Dead - too many time jumps and nonlinear storytelling to help mask poor writing/pre-planning.

God this new season was awful, such a shame after it had just gotten good in S3.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:44 pm

I gave up with the show mid-season 2, but I heard so many good/great things about Season 3, that I was planning on going back to it. Now I'm wondering if I should.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Fear the Walking Dead is still terrible.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 pm

I gave up on FtWD right after Travis and the helicopter. It pissed me off that they jettisoned the two most interesting actors in Curtis and Blades while keeping the shittiest characters in place. It seems like maybe the two new showrunners realized this as well but I'm not sure if Lennie James, Maggie Grace, Garrett Dillahunt and Jenna Elfman will be enough to make it worth watching. I know this show has it's fans but it's so unrelentingly blah that I have trouble wrapping my brain around it.

EDIT: - And since I never watched any of season 3 I don't know exactly how much it improved. I'm assuming it dealt with them already at the stadium? I'm not sure if it's worth checking out.

EDIT:PART II - Never mind. I guess season 3 dealt with all that nonsense at the camp with the old white racist guy and his two sons. I tried following it but it was just so overpowering in it's crapitude that I finally gave up. And this is coming from someone who's still hanging in there and watching The Walking Dead.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 18844 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377  Next