It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:
Hey television folks: suggestions for an action or comedy series that's on the lighter side. Definitely not looking for cringe comedy, or anything that could be described as "dark".

Superstore is pretty funny. Lots of good jokes and good chemistry between the cast. Plus, it's only 20+ minutes per episode, so it's quite breezy.

Cobra Kai has to be one of the most effective sequels/spin-offs/whatever that I've seen recently. It manages to take the foundation of the original series and flip it upside down successfully. It manages to be both funny and touching, a bit introspective, while also tingling those nostalgic senses. If you were a fan of the Karate Kid films, you will like it. William Zabka really shines in it. It's also 20+ minutes, and only 10 episodes.

I used to be a huge fan of Leverage during its running. It's more action, but very light and with a good dosage of comedy/humor. The pace is fast, with an Ocean's Eleven vibe. The cast has a wonderful chemistry, even if none of them are really great actors. The cons are usually inventive and fun to see unfold, even if they sometimes are borderline absurd. I really enjoyed it.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is goofy and bonkers and delightful.

American Vandal is a fun parody of true crime docs. Season 1 is terrific and 2 drops on Friday.

Schitt’s Creek is real light and fluffy sitcomy stuff.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is super chill and quick.

I don’t even like wrestling but Glow is also real good.

All on Netflix.

Edit: The Good Place also has the first two seasons on Netflix and 3 hits network TV on September 27.

Thief wrote:

Superstore is pretty funny. Lots of good jokes and good chemistry between the cast. Plus, it's only 20+ minutes per episode, so it's quite breezy.

Cobra Kai has to be one of the most effective sequels/spin-offs/whatever that I've seen recently. It manages to take the foundation of the original series and flip it upside down successfully. It manages to be both funny and touching, a bit introspective, while also tingling those nostalgic senses. If you were a fan of the Karate Kid films, you will like it. William Zabka really shines in it. It's also 20+ minutes, and only 10 episodes.

I used to be a huge fan of Leverage during its running. It's more action, but very light and with a good dosage of comedy/humor. The pace is fast, with an Ocean's Eleven vibe. The cast has a wonderful chemistry, even if none of them are really great actors. The cons are usually inventive and fun to see unfold, even if they sometimes are borderline absurd. I really enjoyed it.

Seen most of these, but I'll give GLOW and Cobra Kai a look. Thanks, guys!

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 am

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

Wow. I'm still a little blown away from last night's episode of Lodge 49. I think I'm the only person here bothering to watch this but people should really try and check it out. It's an odd and understated little show and there is a bit of a shaggy dog story feel to it. But that's what makes it so charming. And then they do this reveal on a mysterious character that it's built up over the last few episodes and that character turns out to be played by
Bruce fucking Campbell!
That really blew my mind. I hope they're able to bring this back for another season.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Wow. I'm still a little blown away from last night's episode of Lodge 49. I think I'm the only person here bothering to watch this but people should really try and check it out. It's an odd and understated little show and there is a bit of a shaggy dog story feel to it. But that's what makes it so charming. And then they do this reveal on a mysterious character that it's built up over the last few episodes and that character turns out to be played by
Bruce fucking Campbell!
That really blew my mind. I hope they're able to bring this back for another season.

I think I watched 5 minutes from the pilot cause it was tacked onto Better Call Saul, but ended up changing the channel. Not because it was bad, but just because I had other things to do. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:55 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Bruce fucking Campbell!

I think I watched 5 minutes from the pilot cause it was tacked onto Better Call Saul, but ended up changing the channel. Not because it was bad, but just because I had other things to do. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:55 am

Thief wrote:
That's basically the exact same thing someone else said at another forum. It's probably not captivating enough to draw huge numbers which is a shame for the fewer people who are actually invested in it since it might not be back for a second season. But then something like Into the Badlands gets renewed so here's hoping.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 18907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379