It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 18473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Sammael wrote:
Anyone still following Mr Robot? This season has been a marked improvement over S2.

Left off on the 'long take' ep. Decent but felt a little gratuitous in parts. I always thought Elliot's quest against Ecorp was a bit juvenile and i do like the idea of him trying to change the system from the inside.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Mr. Robot has been solid this season for sure.

Finished Punisher last night which was some powerful stuff. The first few episodes are jarring as Frank doesn’t have as much screen time as a main character should while we’re forced to get to know a slew of side characters. But eventually I was invested in everyone and Punisher got more to do. So excellent.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:13 pm

any of you Simpsons fans happen to catch this?

admittedly when I watched The Simpsons during my formative years, I was never struck by the idea of Apu as offensive. or maybe I thought the show's small wink-winks about Apu's stereotype-ness made it okay. watching the older Simpsons episodes on DVD, I can brush some of Apu's broader traits as "well, people just weren't as 'woke' back in the 90's as they are today". but then I never had to carry Apu around with me like a sharp stone in my shoe. so even if we're making progress on representation, it's probably not a bad idea to remind everyone what made Apu unlikable to Indian-Americans. I know that many would probably weigh in on when they feel The Simpsons should have been canceled or when the quality began to dip, but since it's still on, Apu is still relevant discussion.

also I had to laugh at the end since I had owned the Kwik-E-Mart playset that Kondabolu gifts to Whoopi Goldberg. of course, they also made a Bowl-A-Rama which comes with a Bowling Apu (also a B-Sharp Apu figure), a representation of Apu when he was "one of the guys" and not "stereotypical Indian convenience store clerk". but then again, it was the Kwik-E-Mart Apu that came first. I'm sure that even if Kondabolu would agree there are plenty of instances where Apu is not a stereotype, he is still also a stereotype. and for some, it can be hard to see past that.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Oxnard, humor is cruelty. The very notion of the "butt" of a joke discloses the necessity of a target. The idea of "punching up" vs. "punching down" sounds good in theory, but in practice "punching up" essentially means "don't make fun of my group."

Will we move on from 7-11 stereotypes of Indians? Times do change. Lines get drawn and redrawn. Our sensibilities shift, but so long as we're still allowed to laugh, so long as comedy is still a "thing," someone will get the short end of the stick. Some groups will always be at the margins. There will always be groups which will be officially OK to mock. I like living in a world with humor, so I would rather be offended every now and then. Context matters, intent matters, and background norms matter, but none of these guardrails will prevent instances of pain caused by comedy. We can only move ahead on a case-by-case basis and negotiate where the line is drawn, and even then people will disagree. The rules of thumb only serve to prevent too much unnecessary pain.

The guy in the link seems oddly fixated on Hank Azaria, right down to beating up cartoon images of him at the end of the show. Azaria was gracious in the note that he wrote, but he did have two pretty solid reasons not to appear on camera.

In twenty years, we'll look back on stuff we're laughing at this week and be mortified, but we cannot predict which of those things will be tomorrow's grave embarrassments. You can either laugh and be merry despite this knowledge or be a rigid Jorge de Burgos, poisoning the pages of the joke book.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

He's fixated on Hank because Hank is the guy who seems to have all answers as to why the character turned out the way he did. Hank could have defended himself but he was right that the'd be at the mercy of his edit. But he could have gone on record or something. I like Apu but I do understand that people find him racist especially since it's the voice that makes it that way. You can write it off oh the Simpsons skewers everyone. But do they really skewer anyone? Or are they just cherrypicking traits for laughs like the writer said? I do think it would be best to either retire the character or just have someone else voice him.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 pm
Profile YIM

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Oxnard, humor is cruelty. The very notion of the "butt" of a joke discloses the necessity of a target. The idea of "punching up" vs. "punching down" sounds good in theory, but in practice "punching up" essentially means "don't make fun of my group."

Will we move on from 7-11 stereotypes of Indians? Times do change. Lines get drawn and redrawn. Our sensibilities shift, but so long as we're still allowed to laugh, so long as comedy is still a "thing," someone will get the short end of the stick. Some groups will always be at the margins. There will always be groups which will be officially OK to mock. I like living in a world with humor, so I would rather be offended every now and then. Context matters, intent matters, and background norms matter, but none of these guardrails will prevent instances of pain caused by comedy. We can only move ahead on a case-by-case basis and negotiate where the line is drawn, and even then people will disagree. The rules of thumb only serve to prevent too much unnecessary pain.

I'm guessing the writers didn't feel Apu was necessarily a cruel joke (i.e. could construed be as a "ha-ha, it's funny because he's Indian!") so much as they just thought he was a broad characterization among other broad characterizations from which they could write other types of jokes. so I don't know if that's different than being intentionally cruel-funny.

Ace wrote:
I do think it would be best to either retire the character or just have someone else voice him.

or better yet just end The Simpsons. not for Apu but for all the other reasons.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
any of you Simpsons fans happen to catch this?

I'm intrigued by that YouTube channel's sole dedication to The Simpsons: Road Rage on PlayStation 2.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I'm guessing the writers didn't feel Apu was necessarily a cruel joke (i.e. could construed be as a "ha-ha, it's funny because he's Indian!") so much as they just thought he was a broad characterization among other broad characterizations from which they could write other types of jokes. so I don't know if that's different than being intentionally cruel-funny.
I think that if the broad characterization in question is a broad racial characterization, there isn't much difference to a lot of real people who are a part of that group, especially when, for the longest time, Apu was one of the most prominent (and only) representations of an "Indian" character on TV. But, at any rate, thanks for the link; I watched at least half of it last night before I fell asleep, so I do plan on finishing the rest of it soon. :up:

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 am

Deschain wrote:
Finished Punisher last night which was some powerful stuff. The first few episodes are jarring as Frank doesn’t have as much screen time as a main character should while we’re forced to get to know a slew of side characters. But eventually I was invested in everyone and Punisher got more to do. So excellent.

I'm about halfway through and love it so far. I generally enjoy Punisher media by default, but the Netflix series takes it to a whole new level.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 am

Game Of Thrones creators’ controversial Confederate not being “actively worked on”

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:50 am

Just finished Godless on Netflix and it is DAMN good! Doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel as far as westerns go just a classic tale told very well. Jeff Daniels is a great villain. Just some damn fine TV.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Twin Peaks: The Return

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Eminence Grise wrote:
Twin Peaks: The Return
So, what'd you think of it?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 am

The Netflix series Dark is a fascinating watch so far. Yes, It's about missing children, yes, it has '80s references, but it's not a Stranger Things clone.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:13 am

Stranger Things 2 kind of felt like a filler season. Stuff starts really happening way too late in the season.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 am

Stu wrote:
So, what'd you think of it?

In terms of bad or good? I enjoyed it perhaps more than I expected, which was a surprise. I had reservations that it would do too much glad-handing with the fans, however, the way it dealt with the nostalgic (see: cliche) leitmotifs was very clever.

In terms of the content of the show, I thought it was brilliantly updated and modernized. Frost & Lynch's portrayal of women, in particular, was very refreshing, which perhaps is to be expected given Lynch's most recent cinematic work. Most of the abstract asides were also pleasantly done and not too heavy-handed so as to be excessive or tedious, and surprisingly, perhaps, more on the nose to the content than the original series.

Maybe it's too early to tell, but I'd say it's a masterwork, and it makes most good TV of the day look like child's play, which is a large statement considering the state of TV. However, I think that's probably because it has many more "cinematic" qualities than most other shows, which I like, so it's a particular bias of mine.

And, you?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am

Hey everybody!

Some of the shows I've been catching up with during my electricity/Internet break...

Modern Family (season 7) My wife likes this more than I do. I've seen random episodes here and there. There's an earnest quality to it that can go from endearing to off-putting, but overall, it is a harmless show. The performances are uneven, some are great/hilarious, others are really weak, and most of the jokes are hit-miss. I also never gotten used to the "fake interview" format. Meh.

Falling Skies (season 5) Had followed this show during its initial run, but for some reason, never managed to catch the final season. The show is far from great, but still there's good amount of action and likable characters. The final season had some good moments and a nice buildup towards the end. Unfortunately, the writers/directors botched it in the last two episodes. Felt like it ended with a whimper.

NCIS (season 14) I've been a fan of this show for a long while. I know it's not the best, but I've always find it to be enjoyable, full of good characters. That said, the last few seasons have taken a dip in quality, and the recent cast changes haven't helped a lot. In this season, the absence of Michael Weatherly as DiNozzo is felt bigly, while new castmate Jennifer Esposito never really clicks for me. Wilmer Valderrama is a good actor, but his character feels forced. Still, I felt this was a bit better than the last 2-3 seasons.

The Walking Dead (season 7) I had all but given up on this by the middle of S7. Too boring, too mediocre. But with not many options to see, I decided to just check out the 4-5 episodes I had left. Sad to say it was more of the same. The script is terrible. I do have to give kudos to the directors and the visual department, and I'll borrow a line from someone here, because in the midst of mediocrity, they still manage to create interesting visual moments, thought-provoking vignettes in the background. Too bad they don't translate to the foreground.

Survivor (seasons 33 and 34) I've never been a huge fan of this show, mostly because I don't care about the social drama between the contestants. Feels too forced and fake. That said, I like the challenges, so I decided to give it a shot. Despite my initial reservations about the social aspect, I found myself drawn into it as I went through, regardless of how scripted it feels at times. The challenges are usually fun to watch and there's enough likable characters to keep me at it.

Hannibal (season 3) This one I'm currently in the middle. I don't know why I had never seen it, despite loving the show. I think I missed the original run somehow, and then read lots of people complaining about how tediuous and slow it was, and I might've decided to hold it. Anyway, I've only seen 4 episodes and I like it. Perhaps it goes a bit too far with all the contemplative and introspective musings of the characters, and I think they pushed that aspect a bit too far here than they were in the first two seasons. Everything feels more surreal than before, but it's still enticing.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 am

Thief wrote:
The Walking Dead (season 7) I had all but given up on this by the middle of S7. Too boring, too mediocre. But with not many options to see, I decided to just check out the 4-5 episodes I had left. Sad to say it was more of the same. The script is terrible. I do have to give kudos to the directors and the visual department, and I'll borrow a line from someone here, because in the midst of mediocrity, they still manage to create interesting visual moments, thought-provoking vignettes in the background. Too bad they don't translate to the foreground.

Hannibal (season 3) This one I'm currently in the middle. I don't know why I had never seen it, despite loving the show. I think I missed the original run somehow, and then read lots of people complaining about how tediuous and slow it was, and I might've decided to hold it. Anyway, I've only seen 4 episodes and I like it. Perhaps it goes a bit too far with all the contemplative and introspective musings of the characters, and I think they pushed that aspect a bit too far here than they were in the first two seasons. Everything feels more surreal than before, but it's still enticing.
Yeah, I watched about the first 3 & 1/2 seasons of TWD before I realized just how inconsistent its writing was, and how obvious it was that they had no real game plan for wrapping up the characters' "arcs" (if you can call them that), and that it was nothing more than a rinse-repeat cycle of people fighting zombies for a while in the middle of nowhere-Georgia, before they find the next depraved tyrant to butt up against and fight for a while, repeat ad-nauseum into infinity as long as the ratings are high enough.

As for the 3rd season of Hamibal, I feel it went a bit too far into turning into a remixed version of Dr. Hannibal Lector's Greatest Hits, in going for a straighter adaptation of the book-based material; the previous seasons, especially 2 (my favorite of the bunch) did a better job of mixing in the Harris-penned stuff in with new, show-exclusive plotlines. That being said, the sheer style of S3 is still just as deliciously (no pun intended) sensuous as ever, and just on that basis alone, I enjoyed S3, warts and all. Here's hoping for a S4 someday!

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

- That 2-hour Nathan for you season (series?) finale was something else. If you've never seen that show, it actually would serve as a good jumping off point.

- Punisher S1 was far better than critics are giving it credit for. But Punisher has always been unfairly judged because of its focus on gun-fueled vengeance.

- Mindhunter started off a bit slow (even with Fincher directing the first episode), but by the last 3-4 episodes, it had become some of the best TV I've seen this year.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 am

Stu wrote:
Yeah, I watched about the first 3 & 1/2 seasons of TWD before I realized just how inconsistent its writing was, and how obvious it was that they had no real game plan for wrapping up the characters' "arcs" (if you can call them that), and that it was nothing more than a rinse-repeat cycle of people fighting zombies for a while in the middle of nowhere-Georgia, before they find the next depraved tyrant to butt up against and fight for a while, repeat ad-nauseum into infinity as long as the ratings are high enough.

I'm sure I've voiced my issues with TWD on RT or other forums, but it's pretty much what you say. It has just devolved into a rinse-repeat cycle of the same again and again and again. I thought the show was great up until the middle of season 2, maybe. Then the quality has been going down and down more and more. What has kept me coming is that the writers/showrunners still manage to sneak in some really good episodes in between all the mediocrity and the filler. The "highs" were really high. The Governor's arc was pretty good, mostly anchored by David Morrisey's performance, but dragged down by Andrea's awful arc. That "Clear" episode with Morgan was superb. I thought Negan's introduction at the end of season 6 was great, but then his schtick became tedious and repetitive. I just stopped caring.

Stu wrote:
As for the 3rd season of Hamibal, I feel it went a bit too far into turning into a remixed version of Dr. Hannibal Lector's Greatest Hits, in going for a straighter adaptation of the book-based material; the previous seasons, especially 2 (my favorite of the bunch) did a better job of mixing in the Harris-penned stuff in with new, show-exclusive plotlines. That being said, the sheer style of S3 is still just as deliciously (no pun intended) sensuous as ever, and just on that basis alone, I enjoyed S3, warts and all. Here's hoping for a S4 someday!

I'm still by episode 3x04, but I'm enjoying it. Like I said, Fuller putting the whole introspective and surreal aspects of the show into hyperdrive tends to be a bit tedious at times, mostly because you see characters behaving in unlikely ways as if they were part of a dream or a hallucination. But like you say, the style sells it, and most of the performances are pretty good.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am

I finished the original 2 seasons of Twin Peaks yesterday. I liked it quite a bit. Despite the fact that it was directed by Lynch, there wasn't as much absurdity as I expected. There were large parts to the show where it felt like a conventional crime show. However, the absurd moments which were sprinkled into it made for some great genre blending. Many episodes had comedic, serious, frightening, and absurd moments throughout. Overall, this was a pretty good genre-blending show. I wasn't a fan of how it ended, but I liked the episodes which came before it quite a lot.

8/10

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
- That 2-hour Nathan for you season (series?) finale was something else. If you've never seen that show, it actually would serve as a good jumping off point.

- Punisher S1 was far better than critics are giving it credit for. But Punisher has always been unfairly judged because of its focus on gun-fueled vengeance.

- Mindhunter started off a bit slow (even with Fincher directing the first episode), but by the last 3-4 episodes, it had become some of the best TV I've seen this year.

Nathan for You is consistently amazing, and that finale was no different.

Really dug Punisher, more of my thoughts are in an earlier post in this thread.

I got the last two episodes of Mindhunter queued up for tonight and I’m loving it so far. Didn’t find it slow at the beginning at all, it’s been consistently engaging for me and it’s gonna be a bitch to wait for the next season.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I finished the original 2 seasons of Twin Peaks yesterday. I liked it quite a bit. Despite the fact that it was directed by Lynch, there wasn't as much absurdity as I expected. There were large parts to the show where it felt like a conventional crime show. However, the absurd moments which were sprinkled into it made for some great genre blending. Many episodes had comedic, serious, frightening, and absurd moments throughout. Overall, this was a pretty good genre-blending show. I wasn't a fan of how it ended, but I liked the episodes which came before it quite a lot.

8/10
Glad to see you liked TP, Pops; planning on watching Fire Walk With Me or The Return mini-series soon?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370