It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 379  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Has anyone watched Ray Donovan? If so, what do you think? I'm in the mood for a gritty crime drama.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 am

Torgo wrote:
Has anyone watched Ray Donovan? If so, what do you think? I'm in the mood for a gritty crime drama.

It’s less crime drama and more family drama. It’s well done and acted. I started watching it because I liked the idea of a TV show centered around a Hollywood fixer but that’s rarely the focus of the plot to my disappointment. I haven’t watched the most recent season yet. Just kinda lost interest.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:48 am

Torgo wrote:

I haven't seen it, but I would ask if you've seen Fargo. I've only seen Season 1, but it was pretty great.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 am

Thief wrote:

I haven't seen it, but I would ask if you've seen Fargo. I've only seen Season 1, but it was pretty great.
I'm giddy with excitement for you to watch them (is that weird)? Season 1 is my personal favorite, but seasons 2 and 3 are also excellent and most fans think they're even better than the first. I'd say more, but I'd hate to spoil anything. Maybe except for Justified, it's the best crime drama since The Sopranos.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 am

Torgo wrote:
I'm giddy with excitement for you to watch them (is that weird)? Season 1 is my personal favorite, but seasons 2 and 3 are also excellent and most fans think they're even better than the first. I'd say more, but I'd hate to spoil anything. Maybe except for Justified, it's the best crime drama since The Sopranos.

Yeah, I remember now you said that when I finished Season 1. I got my wife into it after that, and she liked it. She has more free time than I do, so I think she already finished Season 2, but I haven't asked her how she felt about it.

I know I should get on it, bu tI still haven't seen The Sopranos. I have it on my agenda. I also enjoyed the hell out of Justified, even if I don't hold it as high as other shows.

As for more recs, I don't know if it would qualify into your "gritty crime" criteria, but Boardwalk Empire is another damn fine show.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 am

Thief wrote:

Yeah, I remember now you said that when I finished Season 1. I got my wife into it after that, and she liked it. She has more free time than I do, so I think she already finished Season 2, but I haven't asked her how she felt about it.

I know I should get on it, bu tI still haven't seen The Sopranos. I have it on my agenda. I also enjoyed the hell out of Justified, even if I don't hold it as high as other shows.

As for more recs, I don't know if it would qualify into your "gritty crime" criteria, but Boardwalk Empire is another damn fine show.
I was just thinking about how good Boardwalk Empire is a little while ago, actually! I don't like saying that things are underrated or overrated, but it definitely deserves more credit. More than one of my co-workers said that it sucked while it was on the air. Maybe it was too much of a slow burn and/or its 1920's setting made it a hard sell. That finale, especially when it revealed that
Nucky ruined Gillian's life and sealed his own fate in the process, still stings.
Season 2 is still my favorite, though.

I also recommend the Netflix series Peaky Blinders. It's sort of a Sons of Anarchy set in post-WWI England with race horses instead of motorcycles.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:35 am

Torgo wrote:
I was just thinking about how good Boardwalk Empire is a little while ago, actually! I don't like saying that things are underrated or overrated, but it definitely deserves more credit. More than one of my co-workers said that it sucked while it was on the air. Maybe it was too much of a slow burn and/or its 1920's setting made it a hard sell. That finale, especially when it revealed that
Nucky ruined Gillian's life and sealed his own fate in the process, still stings.
Season 2 is still my favorite, though.

Season 4 is my favorite, mostly because it focused more on the Nucky/Eli relationship, and that's the one with which I identified the most (Eli is probably my favorite character). But I think Season 2 would be my next favorite.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:50 am

Fargo, Boardwalk Empire, and Peaky Blinders are all fine choices.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:41 am

Richard Harrow is a great character.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:54 pm
Profile YIM

We have to watch out for Florida Man.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:09 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Richard Harrow is a great character.

Indeed, but he carries one of my few issues with the show. Because of how great they're acted, or how well they are received by audiences, I sensed that many of the characters overstayed their welcome a bit, and their storylines were stretched unnecessarily. Harrow is one of those characters (Van Alden is another one).

I believe Harrow's storyline could've been effectively ended by the end of Season 3, and it would've been a satisfactory ending. Although the writers still manage to give him a proper (yet tragic) closure, I don't think the developments on Season 4 were entirely necessary.

I know that might be an unpopular opinion, but that's how I felt.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:01 am

Ace wrote:
We have to watch out for Florida Man.
Darius is so funny. He's like this generation's Dale Gribble, but even funnier.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 am

Jon Favreau will write and produce a live-action Star Wars series

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Excellent!

When you get to the episode called "Pandora's Mailbox," that's one of my favorite episodes of television I watched last year. It's also, in my opinion, a really effective bottle episode. Aside from an episode that was either second or third from last, I felt like the show got stronger as it went along. I'd love to chat about it with you when you finish!

Well, I just have one episode to go, but the last two were pretty crazy. I'm still loving all the different ways they pay homage to Terminator and Back to the Future without feeling like a rip-off.

It was pretty cool how they played with the time travel thing leaving Wolf in the 80s, while Tiger goes to the 40s, and the effect that has on each of them. Seeing Tiger using 40's slang or Wolf becoming an 80's celebrity only to fall from grace in the 90's ("There was no downside to cocaine. Period. If you have a chance to try it, I strongly recommend it.") only to come back to a crazy 2010s. I'm not sure how I feel about the detective subplot, but still, I'm looking forward to the last episode.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

Excellent!

When you get to the episode called "Pandora's Mailbox," that's one of my favorite episodes of television I watched last year. It's also, in my opinion, a really effective bottle episode. Aside from an episode that was either second or third from last, I felt like the show got stronger as it went along. I'd love to chat about it with you when you finish!

Hey, Tak. Saw the last episode two nights ago. Loved it! Like I said in another post, the last stretch was pretty crazy, but I was surprised by how well they managed to merge wacky comedy with a more serious undertone. It also ended in a way that I really didn't expect it to. I'm still digesting it a bit.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:16 am

Thief wrote:

Hey, Tak. Saw the last episode two nights ago. Loved it! Like I said in another post, the last stretch was pretty crazy, but I was surprised by how well they managed to merge wacky comedy with a more serious undertone. It also ended in a way that I really didn't expect it to. I'm still digesting it a bit.

So glad that you enjoyed the series!

Yes, I love that the whole season is built around the question of whether or not it is acceptable to kill one (good) person to save many more. And I really like that the series was able to answer that question in such a graceful way.

Having
Kronish himself ultimately make that decision through his suicide is powerful on its own, but the fact that it then empowers Josh to be willing to sacrifice his own life is an especially nice payoff. It's also neat to think that Kronish, by the time he does make that decision, is a man whose upbringing was partially informed by Tiger. There are layers to the way that the whole show comes together that really elevate it, in my opinion.

I am not typically a fan of gross-out, "edgy" comedy, and I was really surprised and impressed with the balance of when and how those jokes were used. The ongoing joke about the accidental penis swap, for example (which gets a nice callback when Tiger ends up with Wolf's cocaine-addled butt).

Also, I highly, HIGHLY approve of any season finale that both brings closure and offers the possibility of another season. Most shows either wrap everything up too neatly or they indulge in too much of a cliffhanger that proves rage-inducing if another season doesn't happen.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 am

Takoma1 wrote:
So glad that you enjoyed the series!

Yes, I love that the whole season is built around the question of whether or not it is acceptable to kill one (good) person to save many more. And I really like that the series was able to answer that question in such a graceful way.

Having
Kronish himself ultimately make that decision through his suicide is powerful on its own, but the fact that it then empowers Josh to be willing to sacrifice his own life is an especially nice payoff. It's also neat to think that Kronish, by the time he does make that decision, is a man whose upbringing was partially informed by Tiger. There are layers to the way that the whole show comes together that really elevate it, in my opinion.

And it's pretty cool and interesting that...

...after all her "macho" posturing and putting down Josh for questioning the mission, she was no "better". She had the chance - for years - and just couldn't go with it.

Takoma1 wrote:
I am not typically a fan of gross-out, "edgy" comedy, and I was really surprised and impressed with the balance of when and how those jokes were used. The ongoing joke about the accidental penis swap, for example (which gets a nice callback when Tiger ends up with Wolf's cocaine-addled butt).

"I'm fuckin' you with your own dick" :D

But seriously, I also agree. I was particularly surprised by the dick shots in the last episodes, but they really knew when to go all in and when to hold.

Takoma1 wrote:
Also, I highly, HIGHLY approve of any season finale that both brings closure and offers the possibility of another season. Most shows either wrap everything up too neatly or they indulge in too much of a cliffhanger that proves rage-inducing if another season doesn't happen.

One of the things I admired was how bold the show was in "not fixing things". There was no neat wrap-up where Josh is magically transported to a timeline where nothing has happened. Like you said, it's a daring way to wrap it all up, while also opening up for countless of possibilities in future seasons.

Also, I keep getting a song in my mind when I think of the show. It's a song from a local band (that actually has nothing to do with this) that says "Everything changes, everything stays the same; nothing changes, nothing stays the same". And I think the show put that forward quite well. The combination of fate and free will, all the times they've tried to change things and yet things ended up different, yet the same. Every Kronish they meet is different, yet the fate of humanity stays the same. The people around Josh, his family, etc. won't notice changes since nothing has changed for them, but everything has changed for him, Wolf, and Tiger. It's pretty cool and thought-provoking. Maybe it was the way the show handled it, or maybe it's my fixation with time travel films and paradoxes, but I really enjoyed that.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 am

Thief wrote:
One of the things I admired was how bold the show was in "not fixing things". There was no neat wrap-up where Josh is magically transported to a timeline where nothing has happened. Like you said, it's a daring way to wrap it all up, while also opening up for countless of possibilities in future seasons.

The people around Josh, his family, etc. won't notice changes since nothing has changed for them, but everything has changed for him, Wolf, and Tiger. It's pretty cool and thought-provoking. Maybe it was the way the show handled it, or maybe it's my fixation with time travel films and paradoxes, but I really enjoyed that.

I think that it's a mix of both. The way that the show is written, you can tell that the people writing it have both an affection for and a really good understanding of time travel movies and plots. I also really like time travel stuff, and so it's nice to see it when a show does something interesting.

In the end, I think that the movie achieves what any series (even or maybe especially a comedy) needs to achieve, namely to make you care about the characters. Wolf and Tiger in particular are over the top personalities, but the show gives them room to breathe and evolve. Like you say, Tiger's experiences change her and I like that the movie was able to do more with her plot arc than just the usual "maternal instincts kicking in" crap.

There's also something to be said for the way that the show celebrates kindness. Not just in Kronish, but in the way that Kronish's mother takes in Tiger. Even Wolf's ridiculous culinary exploits are ultimately his attempt to give people an understanding of his horrific experiences.

I'm really excited for a second season.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 am

FX orders tech-world thriller from Alex Garland

:!:

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Just finished Jessica Jones season 2. I knew they weren’t going to be able to top Killgrave but they didn’t even try. They pivoted from dark psychological thriller to more of a family drama tone, which threw me for a loop and left me a bit disappointed for the first few episodes. But once I accepted there wasn’t going to be the similar high stakes and intense escalation like season 1 I grew to like season 2 in its own way, mainly the stuff with Jessica grappling her in demons and previous life choices.

So overall it’s not quite as good as season 1 but since Jessica is still the coolest character in this Netflix Defenders-verse I’m just happy to have more of her.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Deschain wrote:
Just finished Jessica Jones season 2. I knew they weren’t going to be able to top Killgrave but they didn’t even try.
Speaking of who...

David Tennant joins Jennifer Garner in Lena Dunham's new HBO series!

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:24 pm

As Killgrave?!

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Excellent!

Nice! Some friends recommended the show to me a couple months ago, and I watched it over a few weeks, and yes, "Pandora's Mailbox" was a series high. Some of the dick jokes throughout the series just annoyed me (it feels like a crutch the filmmakers don't yet realize they don't need), but otherwise, yes, yes yes, very fun show.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:57 pm

DaMU wrote:

Nice! Some friends recommended the show to me a couple months ago, and I watched it over a few weeks, and yes, "Pandora's Mailbox" was a series high. Some of the dick jokes throughout the series just annoyed me (it feels like a crutch the filmmakers don't yet realize they don't need), but otherwise, yes, yes yes, very fun show.

Tak, we have another! :D I just got my wife into it. She's only seen 2-3 episodes, but she's enjoying it.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:02 pm

DaMU wrote:

Emphasis on "some", because while raunchy/crude comedy is pretty emphatically not my thing, I felt like this show had a higher hit ratio in that regard than most other shows/movies going for the same tone.

But I agree that the show doesn't need it, and it's clearly smart enough (and filled with enough talented actors) that it could function just as well without that element.

Thief wrote:
Tak, we have another! :D I just got my wife into it. She's only seen 2-3 episodes, but she's enjoying it.

One of us! One of us!

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Anyone else have seen Britannia on Amazon Prime?

I'm just three episodes in, but so far, it's pretty good. It stars David Morrisey (The Governor from TWD) and Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars), and although the rest of the cast is mostly unknown to me, they're all pretty good. It still too soon for me to pass a verdict, but the characters are interesting, and the visuals are strikingly beautiful.

And since I'm talking about an Amazon Prime series, you all should watch Catastrophe, Bosch, and Fortitude as well.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:01 am

The Future Of Rick And Morty Is In Limbo, According To Dan Harmon

:(

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am

They put a teaser out a couple months ago saying season 4 is coming in 2018 but apparently it hasn’t been grenelit yet?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 am

Probably one of the most hilariously bizarre episodes of anything I've seen recently :D

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 am

Still my favorite Rick and Morty episode.
"Grass...tastes bad!"

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 pm

This is bound to be either a big piece of shit or the awesomest thing on the face of Earth. Can't wait :D

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am

Well, this was certainly the weakest episode of the show since "Lawnmower Dog". The Ice-T thing was genius, but I thought the whole religious thing was too on the nose, the songs were bland, and there wasn't much else there.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 am

I like, but don't love "Get Schwifty." One thing that makes it a lesser episode is that there's barely any character development. It's sort of like the "A Hit is a Hit" season 1 episode of The Sopranos in that it's completely disposable. The design of the Cromulons and Rick's "Get Schwifty" song are hilarious, as are the Ice-T parts you mentioned, but other than that, it's a B- to B outlier in the middle of A to A+ episodes.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:21 am

Yeah Get Shwifty might be my least favorite episode. It felt like bad Family Guy humor for a lot of it.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:17 am

Deschain wrote:
Yeah Get Shwifty might be my least favorite episode. It felt like bad Family Guy humor for a lot of it.

It's "Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate" (sorry to bust your anticipation, Thief) or "Rickmancing the Stone" for me. Between the two, I maybe laughed or raised an eyebrow once
(at the Jan-Michael Vincent joke, if I remember correctly).

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:21 am

Torgo wrote:
It's "Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate" (sorry to bust your anticipation, Thief) or "Rickmancing the Stone" for me. Between the two, I maybe laughed or raised an eyebrow once
(at the Jan-Michael Vincent joke, if I remember correctly).

Yeah Cable 2 is pretty disappointing too. I liked Rickmancing the Stone though.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:21 am

Margot Robbie's producing a female-led Shakespeare anthology?

:!:

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:16 pm

BL wrote:
Yep, that was specifically the episode I was going to single out. It's fucking unbelievable how this show carefully structured its peaks and valleys (and don't think there isn't yet another peak ahead). "Oh, so this is something television has never attempted? How about if we do it for 10 minutes straight? What about 40? How about two episodes in a row? Would you like that? If not, got fuck yourself."

In every sense Twin Peaks: The Return is a magnum opus, and I think once you've experienced episode eight, you're just about at the point where you can start to appreciate that's the kind of ambition it sets.

Well, I finally finished it. It certainly didn't end how I expected, but this is a David Lynch work, so I wouldn't have it another way. All in all, it's been an incredible journey. It's going to be hard to find another show to watch.

What do you think about the finale?
I believe it's saying that you can't go home again. Like us, Dale has been away for 27 years. While he may be familiar with the civilized parts of Twin Peaks - which are in a continuous holding pattern - and his lawman skills haven't diminished - his takedown of the cowboys at Judy's Diner attests to that (although his uncertainty about whether the guns will unload in the deep fryer reveals his ignorance about modern firearms), he still doesn't know everything about the wild parts of Twin Peaks such as Jackrabbit's Palace. Also, while Bob is gone (or is he?), the evil underneath Twin Peaks's surface is still there, and who knows what strategies to harvest garmonbozia they've cooked up while he's been gone? Cooper says it himself in the car: "it could all be different." Like the typical, nostalgic Twin Peaks resident, Cooper would like to believe that bringing Laura back to town to see her mother will bring everything back to square one, but square one is long gone. It's not Sarah's house any more, Laura isn't Laura any more, and besides, as Cooper asks, "what year is it?" The ending also suggests that Twin Peaks is doomed to be the stage of a continuous series of blue rose cases. After all, each one began when a woman in trouble had the bad luck to encounter the Tremonds (or Chalfonts).

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Torgo wrote:
I believe it's saying that you can't go home again. Like us, Dale has been away for 27 years. While he may be familiar with the civilized parts of Twin Peaks - which are in a continuous holding pattern - and his lawman skills haven't diminished - his takedown of the cowboys at Judy's Diner attests to that (although his uncertainty about whether the guns will unload in the deep fryer reveals his ignorance about modern firearms), he still doesn't know everything about the wild parts of Twin Peaks such as Jackrabbit's Palace. Also, while Bob is gone (or is he?), the evil underneath Twin Peaks surface is still there, and who knows what strategies to harvest garmonbozia they've cooked up while he's been gone? Cooper says it himself in the car: "it could all be different." Like the typical, nostalgic Twin Peaks resident, Cooper would like to believe that bringing Laura back to town to see her mother will bring everything back to square one, but square one is long gone. It's not Sarah's house any more, Laura isn't Laura any more, and besides, as Cooper asks, "what year is it?" The ending also suggests that Twin Peaks is doomed to be the stage of a continuous series of blue rose cases. After all, each one began when a woman in trouble had the bad luck to encounter the Tremonds (or Chalfonts).

That's just as fine a reading of the ending as any other. There's a sense of hopelessness and mystery by the end, and although it seems empty, it's just as much of a beginning. Dale has certinally worn out his welcome as the do-gooding hero of the show. He's been gone for too long, and his skills as a man simply don't and won't operate in the world of twin peaks -- perhaps it takes something different; perhaps it takes nothing at all. I'm not sure that Frost & Lynch have created a cynical ending, but instead, have created an ending that dovetails into something much more complicated: who will pick up where old (younger) Dale left off? Does it matter? And, if there is an abandonment of the search, is that the only answer? Maybe things are going to go about the way they are without any intervention at all. Again, most of these questions imply stasis, but we know that real stasis in the world of Twin Peaks is impossible. It could just be that Dale, or any other person for that matter, is just stuck in a mode of being and will do whatever they must because that's what they have to do. Will Dale give up his quest? I doubt it. In that sense, the journey seems much more important than its subsequent outcome -- and, as viewers, we're always looking for an outcome. Here we don't find any at all. What do we do with that? True resignation isn't an option. Entropy exists, and so Dale, or any one else for that matter, will do what they're meant to do, although it may not result in a favorable outcome.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Quote:
That's just as fine a reading of the ending as any other. There's a sense of hopelessness and mystery by the end, and although it seems empty, it's just as much of a beginning. Dale has certinally worn out his welcome as the do-gooding hero of the show. He's been gone for too long, and his skills as a man simply don't and won't operate in the world of twin peaks -- perhaps it takes something different; perhaps it takes nothing at all. I'm not sure that Frost & Lynch have created a cynical ending, but instead, have created an ending that dovetails into something much more complicated: who will pick up where old (younger) Dale left off? Does it matter? And, if there is an abandonment of the search, is that the only answer? Maybe things are going to go about the way they are without any intervention at all. Again, most of these questions imply stasis, but we know that real stasis in the world of Twin Peaks is impossible. It could just be that Dale, or any other person for that matter, is just stuck in a mode of being and will do whatever they must because that's what they have to do. Will Dale give up his quest? I doubt it. In that sense, the journey seems much more important than its subsequent outcome -- and, as viewers, we're always looking for an outcome. Here we don't find any at all. What do we do with that? True resignation isn't an option. Entropy exists, and so Dale, or any one else for that matter, will do what they're meant to do, although it may not result in a favorable outcome.
That's a good point, and based on this and other analysis, it seems like what the finale and the series as a whole is really about is that good is ultimately a reactive force, i.e. evil always rears its ugly head in places and forms that good cannot predict. The Fireman could only react to Judy unleashing BOB, the FBI could only react to the murders of Teresa Banks and Laura Palmer, etc. While “you can never go home again" is a theme in the finale - it applies just as much to Dougie Jones returning to his family as it does to Carrie Page returning to Sarah's house - it ultimately ties in to the idea that what righted wrongs today won't right them tomorrow. Hell, we thought eight years of Obama would've made the world a better place, but here we are knee-deep in the suck again, aren't we?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 am

TWIN PEAKS S3 Ending

That whole episode I found was an assessment of Cooper's performance, and the review of said performance is encapsulated in Laura Palmer's literally earth shattering scream. Did you, Dale Cooper, put Laura Palmer's soul to rest? Is she at peace? Or are you THIS hellbent on returning to the source of her trauma and stirring forces beyond our ability to know in effort to do what exactly, bring her back to life? It's such a man ideal, let's just piece everything back together to exactly the way it was before, Make America Great Again. No, everything is fucked Dale, nothing is right, this all sucks, and literally FUCK EVERYTHING *smash to black*. The finale is a revelation and parade of Cooper's impotence, a big key being that horrible dour sex scene with Laura Dern (a woman who he has raped in the past) - dude's not the hero of this story and interpreting him as such is the folly, like, guy has shit on him and I found the finale to be damning of his character. The mask was stripped off and no matter how convoluted Cooper's journey got, it all caught up to him in a big way. I mean, dude's the FBI, that's not supposed to be some proud boast but indicative of how lacking Cooper is in self awareness. He's kinda the worst, this whole case is kinda the worst. Let it be, for Laura's sake, but here we are exploring the very limits of time and space and for what, for what! It's all futile

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:04 am

I didn't want to like Barry. I think that the ennui of the hitman is one of the most boring cliches, really was the most boring cliche already 20 years ago. (No, I'm not a fan of Dexter, either.) So I sucked up my pride and watched this show expecting to hate its ironic cool long after Tarantino had already deflated the joke.

But. It sold me. By some kind of sinister hipster invocation, I found myself liking Barry, and wanting to see his story unfold. OK, Bill Hader. Let's see what you can do.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
TWIN PEAKS S3 Ending

That whole episode I found was an assessment of Cooper's performance, and the review of said performance is encapsulated in Laura Palmer's literally earth shattering scream. Did you, Dale Cooper, put Laura Palmer's soul to rest? Is she at peace? Or are you THIS hellbent on returning to the source of her trauma and stirring forces beyond our ability to know in effort to do what exactly, bring her back to life? It's such a man ideal, let's just piece everything back together to exactly the way it was before, Make America Great Again. No, everything is fucked Dale, nothing is right, this all sucks, and literally FUCK EVERYTHING *smash to black*. The finale is a revelation and parade of Cooper's impotence, a big key being that horrible dour sex scene with Laura Dern (a woman who he has raped in the past) - dude's not the hero of this story and interpreting him as such is the folly, like, guy has shit on him and I found the finale to be damning of his character. The mask was stripped off and no matter how convoluted Cooper's journey got, it all caught up to him in a big way. I mean, dude's the FBI, that's not supposed to be some proud boast but indicative of how lacking Cooper is in self awareness. He's kinda the worst, this whole case is kinda the worst. Let it be, for Laura's sake, but here we are exploring the very limits of time and space and for what, for what! It's all futile

Yep, Cooper still treated women like a circa 1989 man would. Sure, he incapacitated those rednecks at the diner after they harassed that waitress, but he still treated her as if she was subservient to him and he put her in danger by putting those firearms in the deep fryer. As for Diane, he didn't give her any say in whether she wanted to have sex, did he?

Speaking of, that sex scene makes the character of Naido seem brilliant in retrospect. After episode 8, I assumed that since the actress is Japanese and her injuries were similar to those who survived the nukes that landed on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, a nuke transported her to the White Lodge. However, she's really a representation of a rape victim: scarred for life internally and externally. I'm probably reading between the lines here, but didn't she flee to the roof after she felt Cooper's face?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:22 am
Profile YIM

I'm watching Black Butler on Hulu. I'm having very mixed reactions to it. I really like the animation style. I find like 80% of the humor funny, 10% dumb, and 10% offensive.

It's also a wildly pervy show, but maybe one of the most equal-opportunity pervy shows I've ever seen?

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 am

Jordan Peele and Amazon to create a Lorena Bobbitt mini-series

Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:39 pm

OMG that scene in Barry where the Chechnians show to the apartment. I was dying.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:41 pm
Profile YIM

Deschain wrote:
Yeah Cable 2 is pretty disappointing too. I liked Rickmancing the Stone though.

Saw "Cable 2" last night and I have to agree. I didn't think it was bad, and I chuckled a couple of times, but nowhere near as effective or creative as "Rixty Minutes".

The Jan-Michael Vincent joke was pretty good, though

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 pm

I know this isn't ya'll's cup of tea, but I just rewatched season 7 of America's Next Top Model and it is AMAZING. Such good challenges, so hilarious.

Love this scary shot of CariDee: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/2d/ae ... 04e917.jpg

And this one of CariDee as a matador: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ame ... 0122140121

Anchal: I'm worried my boob is going to fall out.
James St. James: Honey, no one here cares about your boobs.

Melrose: [faceplants in sand]
Gabrielle Reece: Aw, clap for her, guys. She . . . she tried.

CariDee: Why are you so . . . . . over-pungent?
Janice Dickenson: PUNGENT?!
CariDee (in interview): Pungent . . . is a smell. A very strong smell. *SIGH*

CariDee: [steps on Melrose's dress; dress rips]
Melrose: [Intense death stare . . . holds death stare with CariDee for several seconds on the runway]
Other Judges: Oh, my god! What was that? What just happened?
Tyra: That . . . was hot.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:38 am

"Teddy Perkins" is the strangest, scariest and funniest piece of entertainment I've seen...ever, possibly. Three cheers for Donald Glover.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 18911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 379  Next