It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19075 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 382  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
EDIT:PART II - Never mind. I guess season 3 dealt with all that nonsense at the camp with the old white racist guy and his two sons. I tried following it but it was just so overpowering in it's crapitude that I finally gave up. And this is coming from someone who's still hanging in there and watching The Walking Dead.

It was way, way, way, way better than The Walking Dead has been in at least 3 seasons. Like, I can't even quantify how much better it was.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
It was way, way, way, way better than The Walking Dead has been in at least 3 seasons. Like, I can't even quantify how much better it was.
But that's just it though. I sort of followed it. I still DVR'd it but I kept having to fast forward though all the Madison/Alicia/Nick stuff. I eventually gave up completely but the gist I got while half-watching it was Madison playing head games with the villainous but ultimately weak minded son. Meanwhile Alicia was kinda sorta playing footsie with his virtuous brother while Nick did some kind of one sided bonding with the old man. Luciana had been rescued by the Native Americans who were about to go to war with the old man over water rights that he had acquired through some kind of double cross or murder (I think). I did like the part with Strand down in Mexico a lot better. But half a show is still half a show.

And you're right about The Walking Dead. It has sucked for quite some time now. But FtWD isn't any better and I'm gonna stick with TWD to the bitter end and dance with the one who brung me.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:37 am

The new season of Luke Cage looks like it might be better than the first season. I hope.

https://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3850943257/imdb/inline?ratio=1.77&rid=GKQH3DKTTCWCBN1AWG86&ref_=vi_tr_mp_i_4

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 am

With all the shows I'm watching and the amount of backlog I have on my plate, I doubt I would/could get back to FtWD for now. As for TWD, it has been a struggle to get through the last couple of seasons and I'm certainly not enjoying it. I haven't even finished last season, and I'm not in a hurry to (I think I have three episodes to go). It has become one of the dullest shows I'm currently watching.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 am

Thief wrote:
As for TWD, it has been a struggle to get through the last couple of seasons and I'm certainly not enjoying it. I haven't even finished last season, and I'm not in a hurry to (I think I have three episodes to go). It has become one of the dullest shows I'm currently watching.
I was going to recommend you go ahead and watch the last three episodes, if only to see the Negan arc finally play out. But to be honest, it was a letdown. It would have had to have been the series finest hour in order to get past all the teases and the interminable buildup. It wasn't. In usual series fashion it was ineffective and underwritten and left open ended. I can't remember the last time a series with such a large fanbase and intrinsic fealty screwed the pooch so often and so consistently. It was such a weekly wall to wall goatfuck that it seemed almost planned out. But like I said I'm in it till the bitter end. I keep half hoping it improves but my money is still on cancellation.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 am

That's what I supposed. I'm gonna put it in the backburner for now, but I'm sure eventually I'll see those last few episodes. It's such a pity that a show that started with such a bang and had such highs has become so boring.

On the other hand, there are shows that have had average/simply okay beginnings, but end up becoming such great shows. I finally caught up with The Americans finale, and damn, that was some amazing display of great television. A perfect finale, and probably one of the best series finale I've seen recently.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Last night's Archer season finale was...well, it was certainly better than last season as a whole. The show kind of bounced back from that disappointing outing. This year still wasn't near the heights of it's previous ones but it did show improvement. And the teaser for next season was promising. I'm thinking
Alien since the interior establishing shots were a dead ringer for the Nostromo.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:25 am

Watchmen set photos include some surprising reveals for HBO's TV version

Hopefully, they're including this particular detail from the comics because they've found a way to make it work on screen, and aren't doing it just to differentiate themselves from Snyder's otherwise faithful (but clunky) adaptation.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 am

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:03 am
Profile WWW

Last night's season finale of Westworld was confusing as all get out. All the
Bernard time jumping and then Ed Harris was in the elevator and heading down to the forge but somehow jumped into the future? But it could simply have been that since he's a copy his programming is glitchy. The Bernard memory thing still seemed unnecessarily convoluted though. And from the looks of it they're done with the park and James Marsden and Thandie Newton. And next season will focus on the two Dolores' and Bernard? It sure seemed more like a series finale than a season ender.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 pm

I've been catching up with Season 3 of Rick and Morty and, boy, has it been good or what? The one I saw this morning is easily one of my favorites...

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:35 am

Thief wrote:
I'm reluctant to get into a new series right now, but I'd like to know if both Looming Tower and The Terror are worth my time.

You (well, all of you) should get in on The Terror. I'm 4 episodes in and I'm hooked.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 am

Yess love Rick and Morty. Can’t wait for more.

And yeah the season finale of Westworld was a mindfuck.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:53 am

Torgo wrote:
You (well, all of you) should get in on The Terror. I'm 4 episodes in and I'm hooked.

Yeah, several people I trust have told me it's pretty good. I have it on queue, but I'm still catching up with several TV shows.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:33 am

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 am
Profile WWW

Anyone else catch the season 3 premiere of Preacher? Holy crap, I had no idea that was Betty Buckley playing Gran'ma. We were born in the same West Texas shithole.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:35 am

Here's the (unfortuntately very short) teaser for Disenchantment:

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:27 am

Thief wrote:
I've been catching up with Season 3 of Rick and Morty and, boy, has it been good or what? The one I saw this morning is easily one of my favorites...

That might be the most rewatchable episode of television I've ever seen. I've thrown it on at least five times just because I can't get enough of it. The only show I do that regularly with is Venture Bros., which speaking of!

Right off the bat they're throwing us an Orpheus-bone to make up for his absence last season, which was amazing regardless.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:56 am

I'm watching a show on Netflix called Deep Undercover hosted by Donnie Brasco. He never shows his face because he's still under witness protection. The show as you may have guessed profiles an undercover case each episode. These operations can go on for years and it's like candy for a crime fiction buff like me. It's not a Netflix original but I like these kinds of shows.

If anyone has any recommendations let me know. I think I'm gonna probably watch Narcos next.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am

The best TV of 2018 so far

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:33 am
Profile WWW

Season 2 of Luke Cage is much better than the first.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Iko Uwais to star in martial arts series for Netflix

Hopefully this one turns out better than Iron Fisted, eh?

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:44 am

Wu Assassins. That sounds awesome and another great reason for the existence of Netflix.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:53 am

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 am
Profile WWW

Was looking for something light last night and saw the Brooklyn Nine-Nine pilot. I have to say, I didn't hate it, but I was not impressed.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am

Thief wrote:
Was looking for something light last night and saw the Brooklyn Nine-Nine pilot. I have to say, I didn't hate it, but I was not impressed.
I liked the show when in started, but it exhausted its premise pretty quickly. I know a lot of people were happy the show was saved, but I'm of the opinion that it's living on fumes.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:39 am

Thief wrote:
I remember finding the pilot for BB99 to be pretty funny, but I think that's the only episode of it I ever watched, since I saw it just when I quit regularly watching any TV series at all, period.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 am

For seemingly no good reason whatsoever, AT&T appears to be hellbent on blowing up HBO.

I guess 4 billion dollars in annual profits just isn't what it used to be, and what we've really wanted this whole time is more content that we can watch on the toilet for lucrative toilet paper targeted-advertising data-mining.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:44 am

Quote:
Continuing the theme, he added: "I want more hours of engagement. Why are more hours of engagement important? Because you get more data and information about a customer that then allows you to do things like monetize through alternate models of advertising as well as subscriptions, which I think is very important to play in tomorrow's world."

UGH. God that's a depressing quote. Spoken like a true artiste.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:02 am

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 am
Profile WWW

Captain Oats wrote:
Truly, Judge Handsy's only crime is caring more about Israel than a guy who spent a year of his life volunteering at kibbutzim.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 am

Thief wrote:

I hands-down love Brooklyn-99. I think it gets really excellent in its second and third seasons. It might have some middling episodes, but it also has some great ones. (For a bottle episode, the current season has an episode called "The Box" guest starring Sterling Brown that is top shelf).

It is, to me, a rare ensemble show in that almost all of the combinations of cast members work really well and the show does a pretty good job of balancing A and B plots. It's had some really great one-off and recurring guest turns (especially Marc Evan Jackson as Holt's husband, Kevin Cozner). I've loved Andre Braugher for like 25 years, so anything with him in it is of interest to me.

It's one of my favorite current TV shows and I always look forward to it at the end of a long work week.

Also, honestly, I really appreciate that at its heart it is a show about optimism and teamwork.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 am

Takoma1 wrote:
(For a bottle episode, the current season has an episode called "The Box" guest starring Sterling Brown that is top shelf).

Definitely sounds like a nod to Homicide. I also love Andre Braugher.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:23 pm

MTV Announces “Daria” Reboot

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:23 pm

BL wrote:
Truly, Judge Handsy's only crime is caring more about Israel than a guy who spent a year of his life volunteering at kibbutzim.

I'm not sure if there is much Baron Cohen could have filmed with these guys that's more damning than the stuff we've already seen them do/say.

but political humor be like that these days. : /

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I hands-down love Brooklyn-99. I think it gets really excellent in its second and third seasons. It might have some middling episodes, but it also has some great ones. (For a bottle episode, the current season has an episode called "The Box" guest starring Sterling Brown that is top shelf).

It is, to me, a rare ensemble show in that almost all of the combinations of cast members work really well and the show does a pretty good job of balancing A and B plots. It's had some really great one-off and recurring guest turns (especially Marc Evan Jackson as Holt's husband, Kevin Cozner). I've loved Andre Braugher for like 25 years, so anything with him in it is of interest to me.

It's one of my favorite current TV shows and I always look forward to it at the end of a long work week.

Also, honestly, I really appreciate that at its heart it is a show about optimism and teamwork.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll see if I give it another shot later.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 am

Just found out that "People of Earth" will NOT be renewed. Great, I watch few TV shows and this one was clever. But yeah, lets renew complete shit and other inferior fodder.

Fuck TV

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Definitely sounds like a nod to Homicide. I also love Andre Braugher.

"Three Men and Adeena" is such an intense episode of television, that I was actually relieved that there wasn't too much in the B-99 episode to remind me of it.

Thief wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll see if I give it another shot later.

I'll also mention that I really appreciate some genuine bisexual representation that emerges in the final season. I don't think that diversity is the sole reason to like a show (though I can see why if you were a member of a severely underrepresented group it would be), but this is an added bonus.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 am

I'm watching another interesting docu-series on Netflix called The Traffickers. It deals with all kinds of black market items including expensive exotic animals for consumption to fake pharma. The host is really young and the show isn't as hardcore as something like Drug Lords or Cocaine but it's still interesting and provides a lot of nice locales to present its bleak look at the world.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:57 am

I've been watching Mortal Kombat: Conquest, which is a cheesy, 90s, martial arts show based on the games. I've always loved Mortal Kombat's characters and ridiculous lore, so finding out this exists was a treat. Amazon had it for $10 bucks so I finally caved. I wholehearted believe that a Mortal Kombat film directed by Zack Snyder and written by the Game of thrones team could surpass Citizen Kane as the greatest cinematic achievement off all time.

I can't believe it's not called Mortal Kombat: Konquest.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:43 pm

I just finished up Luke Cage: Season 2 and it's definitely better than season 1. That has mostly to do with this season having (at least) one better villain. Alfre Woodard is back as Mariah Dillard/Stokes. It's a mixed bag with her. I don't think she holds a candle to the secondary bad guy, John (Bushmaster) McIver, and her romance with Hernan "Shades" Alvarez is the weakest part of season 2. Not to mention kind of creepy. Every time they lock lips it makes you cringe. I think the show devotes way too much time to them and that's on top of the usual Netflix/Marvel show filler. Every one of these programs suffers from an enormous amount of padding in the form of interminable dialogue. I don't recall Daredevil suffering from this so much but the rest of them certainly do and they should take a cue from The Defenders single season and cut the episodes to eight or so. That's not going to happen though. I did like how they ended this particular season. Very ambivalent and intriguing and...dark.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Season 2 of Luke Cage is much better than the first.
It certainly was and right after finishing it I thought, "Well he wouldn't be the first
Luke to go over to the dark side." Then I wondered if they'd get in trouble with Disney until I remembered they own both Marvel and Lucasfilm.
I hope they allude to it in some way next season.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm

I've been catching up on Homeland. I just finished season 4 and I'm halfway into season 5. Thankfully, it didn't lose its luster after completing the Brody storyline and going in its own direction. So far, it has a "24 Jr." vibe to it, but I don't mind since I enjoyed that show a lot. Whether it's because I'm the same age as my dad when he was into political thrillers or what's in the news these days - I'm also excited about Amazon's Jack Ryan show - I can understand their appeal: it's a fantasy where the U.S. puts its own interests first rather than the interests of its enemies.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Torgo wrote:
I've been catching up on Homeland. I just finished season 4 and I'm halfway into season 5. Thankfully, it didn't lose its luster after completing the Brody storyline and going in its own direction. So far, it has a "24 Jr." vibe to it, but I don't mind since I enjoyed that show a lot. Whether it's because I'm the same age as my dad when he was into political thrillers or what's in the news these days - I'm also excited about Amazon's Jack Ryan show - I can understand their appeal: it's a fantasy where the U.S. puts its own interests first rather than the interests of its enemies.

I like it. I think they stumbled upon some issues between season 3-4; first trying to shoehorn Brody into a storyline, and then trying to shed it. But as it goes on, I think it has managed to turn itself into a very competent spy thriller.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:09 am

Ooooh, they're so dark and edgy :roll:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 am

That looks terrible. It looks like more of that CW crap.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 am

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
That looks terrible. It looks like more of that CW crap.

Take that back! This is for MATURE AUDIENCES :x :shifty:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 am

Torgo wrote:

Yeah the last couple seasons have been real solid. And it feels like 24 because it’s made by some of the same people.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 19075 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 382  Next