It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19074 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 382  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Thief wrote:
In case you don't feel old enough...

Ha, that's great. Yeah, it's hard to believe that one of my favorite shows has now been with us for a full decade; I wasn't there to watch it from the beginning way back in '08, but fortunately, I did eventually start on it a couple of years later, and had the privilege of watching the last 3 seasons live as they happened, something I'll always be grateful for. Such a good, good, one-of-a-kind show it was. By the way Thief, have you read this new, oral history of Breaking B yet that was just posted?: 'IT HAD NEVER BEEN DONE ON TELEVISION BEFORE': THE ORAL HISTORY OF BREAKING BAD

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 pm

No, I hadn't read that, but I will check it out.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm really glad Gilligan changed his mind about killing Jesse. I couldn't imagine that show without Aaron Paul. It was a tremendous character.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 am

Joss Whedon wrote:
I'm really glad Gilligan changed his mind about killing Jesse. I couldn't imagine that show without Aaron Paul. It was a tremendous character.

Interesting thing is that he changed his mind about killing Jesse, and then he changed his mind about killing Hank...
for the moment
, and still it all worked out perfectly.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am

Breaking Bad is a great, great show but I also have a bit of sentimental feeling for it since I watched it a lot with one my friends while he was laid up with an illness. I'd like to think those times took his mind away from his problems for a bit.

it probably worked out that we couldn't get together for 'Ozymandias' 'cause Christ that episode was depressing.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Thief wrote:

Interesting thing is that he changed his mind about killing Jesse, and then he changed his mind about killing Hank...
for the moment
, and still it all worked out perfectly.
Yeah; it really was such a good show that, in retrospect, it almost feels as though Vince had it all planned out perfectly from the very start, even though these things are always (partly) a result of once-in-a-lifetime accidents and coincidences all converging and coinciding together on one artistic product. It just came together so well, it still amazes me to this day.
Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Breaking Bad is a great, great show but I also have a bit of sentimental feeling for it since I watched it a lot with one my friends while he was laid up with an illness. I'd like to think those times took his mind away from his problems for a bit.

it probably worked out that we couldn't get together for 'Ozymandias' 'cause Christ that episode was depressing.
I have a lot of sentiment for it as well, as I watched the final 2 & 1/2 seasons of it live with my Grandma, who passed away just a year & 1/2 ago, so I still miss her very dearly, and will always cherish all the times we shared together, which includes BB, of course.

And yeah, Ozy's one of the greatest episodes of anything ever, but definitely a tough one to watch; that moment when Walt was changing Holly's diaper, holy...

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

I don't think you should hold that against the show. I mean, we all imprint some level of emotion or sentimentality to what we watch/listen/read at different points in our lives. That's part of the connecting experience we have with the media, so embrace it.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 pm

oh I don't hold it against BB. it's a testament to the show's quality that that episode was as affecting as it was. I just meant, it worked out because after watching that it was preferable to be alone with my feelings.

that episode was a long time coming and they sure as shit didn't let it go to waste

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm

New trailer for Syfy's Superman prequel Krypton:

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 am

The Assassination of Gianni Versace is quite good so far. With its De Palma-like stylishness and references to American Psycho, it's very adept at satisfying the film nerd part of my brain. The constant time shifts are a bit distracting, however.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 pm

The Detour is bloody glorious.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 am
Profile WWW

Torgo wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace is quite good so far. With its De Palma-like stylishness and references to American Psycho, it's very adept at satisfying the film nerd part of my brain. The constant time shifts are a bit distracting, however.

I never expected Ricky Martin to deliver a performance so heart breaking. He just about moved me to tears at times. I mean, if I weren't a robot

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 am

Joss Whedon wrote:
I never expected Ricky Martin to deliver a performance so heart breaking. He just about moved me to tears at times. I mean, if I weren't a robot

Martin is surprisingly good for someone who acts so infrequently. His stake in the subject matter probably makes it personal for him.
Speaking of the acting, it's more "uniformly" good than it was last season, if that makes sense. So far, there haven't been any Travoltas or Schwimmers (who I liked more than most, but I get it) who stick out like sore thumbs.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:01 am

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:35 am
Profile WWW

Captain Oats wrote:

It's gonna be really weird not to see Frank Underwood in the last season, but I have to admit I'm very curious to see how they play their cards for it.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:52 am

In defense of Doggett, the unsung hero The X-Files should have reenlisted

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am

I've never seen The X-Files (though it's on my "To see someday" list), but I remember reading lots of critics and audiences more or less agreeing with that assessment.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
And I know you just said that comedy isn't really your thing, but any action/sci-fi fan should check out the series Future Man on Hulu. It takes a few episodes to find its stride, but darn it if by the last episode I wasn't actually moved to tears. Every character is given dimension. Eliza Coupe's line delivery is amazing, Derek Wilson's Wolf gets amazing dialogue, and Keith David gives the show hilarity and heart. The bottle episode "Pandora's Mailbox" is probably one of my favorite episodes of television that I watched this year.

Thanks for this rec. Been checking it out (I'm 3 episodes in), and I'm enjoying it so far. One of my favorite things is how they weave all these little dialogue nuggets from Tiger and Wolf about how life is in the future (the "rathole to rathole" moment was great). It was really surprising and cool to see Haley Joel Osment too.

Another show I checked out today just out of pure chance was Rick and Morty's pilot and man, was that a hoot or what? I will definitely try to check out more.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am

Thief wrote:

Thanks for this rec. Been checking it out (I'm 3 episodes in), and I'm enjoying it so far. One of my favorite things is how they weave all these little dialogue nuggets from Tiger and Wolf about how life is in the future (the "rathole to rathole" moment was great). It was really surprising and cool to see Haley Joel Osment too.

Excellent!

When you get to the episode called "Pandora's Mailbox," that's one of my favorite episodes of television I watched last year. It's also, in my opinion, a really effective bottle episode. Aside from an episode that was either second or third from last, I felt like the show got stronger as it went along. I'd love to chat about it with you when you finish!

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

I just finished Altered Carbon. It’s great looking and sets up a very interesting world. The first two episodes are heavy, dense with exposition, and don't do a good job of making you like the characters. In short they are no fun. But don’t let that fool you. From the third episode on it gets much better. Overall it is a damn good show.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Deschain wrote:
I just finished Altered Carbon. It’s great looking and sets up a very interesting world. The first two episodes are heavy, dense with exposition, and don't do a good job of making you like the characters. In short they are no fun. But don’t let that fool you. From the third episode on it gets much better. Overall it is a damn good show.
Good to hear. After watching the second episode last night, I was tempted to quit. While I like the atmosphere, look & feel, sci-fi concepts and most of the characters so far - espeically Poe - it's too grim, too convoluted and it has too much fan service. I'm happy to hear it gets better.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 pm

Torgo wrote:
Good to hear. After watching the second episode last night, I was tempted to quit. While I like the atmosphere, look & feel, sci-fi concepts and most of the characters so far - espeically Poe - it's too grim, too convoluted and it has too much fan service. I'm happy to hear it gets better.

Yeah I’m bummed the first two are such a drag because I know it’s gonna turn people off from the rest of the show but while it does remain pretty grim and violent throughout it gains a bit of focus and levity in the third episode and keeps getting better and more engaging as it goes on.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 am

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 am
Profile WWW

Disney developing multiple Star Wars series for Its new streaming service

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Captain Oats wrote:

Somehow screencrush and Arnie don't fit well together in my book. :)

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 am
Profile WWW

Martin Scorsese developing a new series about Julius Caesar?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm a year late - I didn't want to add Showtime to my cable bill - but after five episodes into Twin Peaks: The Return, I feel like
I've won 29 slot machine jackpots in a row ("hellooo!") Speaking of, the opening to part 3 is the most incredible thing I've seen on a television screen since the Twin Peaks finale.

This ain't no cheap corporate cash-in reboot. It's the real thing.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Torgo wrote:
Speaking of, the opening to part 3 is the most incredible thing I've seen on a television screen since the Twin Peaks finale.
And that's like only the third or fourth most remarkable sequence in The Return by the time the whole thing is over.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 am

BL wrote:
And that's like only the third or fourth most remarkable sequence in The Return by the time the whole thing is over.
That's very hard to believe, but very good to know.
I don't even know why I'm discussing it because I don't want to discuss anything, read anything, etc. because of the spoiler factor. I've already discovered that there's spoilers in the Wiki episode recaps. :x

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 am

Michelle Rodriguez to star in Robert Rodriguez's new, VR-only action series

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Torgo wrote:
That's very hard to believe, but very good to know.
I don't even know why I'm discussing it because I don't want to discuss anything, read anything, etc. because of the spoiler factor. I've already discovered that there's spoilers in the Wiki episode recaps. :x
I feel your pain. When I wrote my initial response, I really wanted to single out one specific episode, but even doing that felt like it would be a spoiler for what is an incredible rollercoaster of a TV series.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Does anybody get the feeling that you might be watching too many TV shows?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 am

I try to trim the fat. I dropped all the DC tv shows cuz they saw Canadian ballsack.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am
Profile YIM

BL wrote:
I feel your pain. When I wrote my initial response, I really wanted to single out one specific episode, but even doing that felt like it would be a spoiler for what is an incredible rollercoaster of a TV series.
I just saw episode 8.
There was something that happened in episode 3, wasn't there? I can't really remember it. :D

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am

Torgo wrote:
I just saw episode 8.
There was something that happened in episode 3, wasn't there? I can't really remember it. :D
Yep, that was specifically the episode I was going to single out. It's fucking unbelievable how this show carefully structured its peaks and valleys (and don't think there isn't yet another peak ahead). "Oh, so this is something television has never attempted? How about if we do it for 10 minutes straight? What about 40? How about two episodes in a row? Would you like that? If not, got fuck yourself."

In every sense Twin Peaks: The Return is a magnum opus, and I think once you've experienced episode eight, you're just about at the point where you can start to appreciate that's the kind of ambition it sets.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Family Guy to explore Stewie’s sexual orientation with more than just cutaway gags

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm

This is Us keeps pulling at my heart strings every episode.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
This is Us keeps pulling at my heart strings every episode.

I'm way behind (last episode I saw was 2x04), but my wife told me that pretty much every episode put a lump on her throat. Gotta catch up.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 am

BL wrote:
Yep, that was specifically the episode I was going to single out. It's fucking unbelievable how this show carefully structured its peaks and valleys (and don't think there isn't yet another peak ahead). "Oh, so this is something television has never attempted? How about if we do it for 10 minutes straight? What about 40? How about two episodes in a row? Would you like that? If not, got fuck yourself."

In every sense Twin Peaks: The Return is a magnum opus, and I think once you've experienced episode eight, you're just about at the point where you can start to appreciate that's the kind of ambition it sets.
If that episode was the last thing Lynch ever did, I'd be more than satisfied. It sort of encapsulates what he's being reaching for in his career since Blue Velvet.
Don't answer if it will spoil things for me, but one thing that's been nagging at me is
the use of the color gold in this series. It's in Dougie's suit jacket, Dougie's essence, the machine in the citadel on the ocean, the orb that the giant generated, etc. Does it represent artificiality? Every instance of it seems to be something that was manufactured.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 am

Torgo wrote:
If that episode was the last thing Lynch ever did, I'd be more than satisfied. It sort of encapsulates what he's being reaching for in his career since Blue Velvet.
Don't answer if it will spoil things for me, but one thing that's been nagging at me is
the use of the color gold in this series. It's in Dougie's suit jacket, Dougie's essence, the machine in the citadel on the ocean, the orb that the giant generated, etc. Does it represent artificiality? Every instance of it seems to be something that was manufactured.
I don't think this is a spoiler for The Return, but would be for Fire Walk With Me, which you've seen, right? Anyway:
Gold in Twin Peaks has usually been a symbol of transition or transformation. I think it probably all has something to do with alchemy, the taking of everyday elements and transforming them into something more valuable, namely gold. The gold ring from Fire Walk With Me comes from the Arm, which MIKE chopped off and which appeared as the Man From Another Place in the old series and as that tree thing in The Return. The ring prevents BOB from possessing Laura as he had planned but also I think dooms Laura to transitioning to the Black Lodge when she's killed. The golden orb can pass from the White Lodge to our world. Even phony gold, like Dr. Jacoby's golden shovels, promises some transformational change in a person's life. Pain, too, becomes garmonbozia, which manifests as a golden-hued creamed corn. Sometimes, these golden things are manufactured for a specific purpose, but I think it's more important to note that the purpose usually seems to involve passing between worlds, like into the Black Lodge or out of the White Lodge, or into death.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:14 am

BL wrote:
I don't think this is a spoiler for The Return, but would be for Fire Walk With Me, which you've seen, right? Anyway:
Gold in Twin Peaks has usually been a symbol of transition or transformation. I think it probably all has something to do with alchemy, the taking of everyday elements and transforming them into something more valuable, namely gold. The gold ring from Fire Walk With Me comes from the Arm, which MIKE chopped off and which appeared as the Man From Another Place in the old series and as that tree thing in The Return. The ring prevents BOB from possessing Laura as he had planned but also I think dooms Laura to transitioning to the Black Lodge when she's killed. The golden orb can pass from the White Lodge to our world. Even phony gold, like Dr. Jacoby's golden shovels, promises some transformational change in a person's life. Pain, too, becomes garmonbozia, which manifests as a golden-hued creamed corn. Sometimes, these golden things are manufactured for a specific purpose, but I think it's more important to note that the purpose usually seems to involve passing between worlds, like into the Black Lodge or out of the White Lodge, or into death.

Believe me, I've seen Fire Walk With Me. Watching it after midnight as an insomniac teenager is what made me obsessed with Lynch (and probably warped me quite a bit, for better or worse). Speaking of spoilers, while the movie gives away what's in the series, it thankfully didn't ruin the experience when I finally watched the entire series in my 20's.

I figured that gold means artificiality since most of the gold items in the show are manufactured objects, but that explanation makes more sense. It seems like pale green (the formica table, the jacket Dougie's wearing when he's at the breakfast table, the stone in the ring, etc.) is more representative of artificiality, i.e. taking something from nature, corrupting it and attempting to hide that corruption.

Hurry up, work day, I've got Twin Peaks to watch!

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 am

Ace wrote:
I try to trim the fat. I dropped all the DC tv shows cuz they saw Canadian ballsack.

I try but I tend to get caught up easily. Just yesterday I started a new show, Brittania, and the pilot was pretty good so I guess I'll go on.

Counting the shows that are on break (like Game of Thrones), I'm currently watching roughly 20 TV shows. I hope I'm not the only one :shifty:

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 am

An Oral History of The Wire’s Unforgettable "Fuck" Scene

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 am

Takoma1 wrote:
When you get to the episode called "Pandora's Mailbox," that's one of my favorite episodes of television I watched last year. It's also, in my opinion, a really effective bottle episode. Aside from an episode that was either second or third from last, I felt like the show got stronger as it went along. I'd love to chat about it with you when you finish!

Just saw this and, oh girl, where you right or what? Really, really good episode. I loved how they balanced the the poignancy of Josh trying to find meaning in what he's doing with the hilarious entertainment and pop culture jabs. Really well done.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am

Thief wrote:

Just saw this and, oh girl, where you right or what? Really, really good episode. I loved how they balanced the the poignancy of Josh trying to find meaning in what he's doing with the hilarious entertainment and pop culture jabs. Really well done.

I thought that the show overall did a lot better than I expected in terms of developing emotion and moral quandaries.

Basically the entire show revolves around
the ethics of killing one (good) person to save a lot of other people. And watching the characters grapple with that question is pretty interesting.

The scene with Wolf giving the farewell speech in Na'Vi had me laughing so hard. (I also like that it reinforces that despite the archetype being the big dumb guy, he actually does have several skills and is an intelligent person. Most of his intelligence is contextual, though.)

So you must be about 4 or 5 episodes from the end, right? When you are done with the season we will have MANY THINGS to discuss.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I thought that the show overall did a lot better than I expected in terms of developing emotion and moral quandaries.

Basically the entire show revolves around
the ethics of killing one (good) person to save a lot of other people. And watching the characters grapple with that question is pretty interesting.

The scene with Wolf giving the farewell speech in Na'Vi had me laughing so hard. (I also like that it reinforces that despite the archetype being the big dumb guy, he actually does have several skills and is an intelligent person. Most of his intelligence is contextual, though.)

So you must be about 4 or 5 episodes from the end, right? When you are done with the season we will have MANY THINGS to discuss.

I loved all the different ways in which they slipped those jabs, sometimes subtly, others not so (SIGORN-E? President Clooney? Avatar 5?). The way they also intentionally shoehorned Cameron films (the wooden board, "The Abyss", Mr. Arnold) was pretty clever.

I like that the moral dilemma you mention (The "Baby Hitler") has been present from the beginning and not something they pulled out mid-season to try to fake drama. I'm curious where they'll take things.

Takoma wrote:

I just checked and I'm 6 episodes from the end.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 am

I just want Dot and Overkill to fuck. A lot.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Snowpiercer series gets back on track with Orphan Black showrunner Josh Friedman

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19074 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 382  Next