It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 18911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377 ... 379  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

I finished the new Trailer Park Boys season last night, and it's sad how they wrapped things up, which I assume was the result of them losing John Dunsworth (Jim Lahey) between seasons. It reminds me of the predicament that the new Star Wars films are in without Carrie Fisher. They can't possibly do the actor or characters justice, yet the show must go on.

It was a pretty lowkey season, and a relief to finally see his passing acknowledged by the show.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:25 am

Spencie Returns wrote:
I finished the new Trailer Park Boys season last night, and it's sad how they wrapped things up, which I assume was the result of them losing John Dunsworth (Jim Lahey) between seasons. It reminds me of the predicament that the new Star Wars films are in without Carrie Fisher. They can't possibly do the actor or characters justice, yet the show must go on.

It was a pretty lowkey season, and a relief to finally see his passing acknowledged by the show.

Yeah it’s a bummer they lost him. I liked the new season. It made me laugh more than the last couple. I also been going through Netflix and watching all the other TPB stuff on there like their trips to other countries, live shows, Christmas specials, etc.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 am

Deschain wrote:
Yeah it’s a bummer they lost him. I liked the new season. It made me laugh more than the last couple. I also been going through Netflix and watching all the other TPB stuff on there like their trips to other countries, live shows, Christmas specials, etc.

I thought it was a nice season, too. I've actually been pretty on board with the Netflix run when it's not pushing things too far. More than anything, I'm just happy that Lahey ended the season...

by siding with the boys, and sticking up for Randy.

They clearly weren't focusing much on Lahey and Rand this season, so I'm glad he went out on positive note.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:52 pm

What can you do about Apu? The Simpsons used to know

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am

You told me thank you, come again,
Your jerky was ten days old and you danced around like a hummingbird,
But you were such a dear, true friend,
What happened to the Apu that I used to know?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:16 am

Ahhh, The Simpsons. That was some show, right?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

David Simon's new show will be set during the Spanish Civil War

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 am

TJ Miller's looking pretty good these days.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am

Jinnistan wrote:

TJ Miller's looking pretty good these days.
Although I've found his voice obnoxious from the moment I first heard it in Cloverfield, I want to be sympathetic given that Miller has obvious substance-abuse and brain-damage issues. But given that his sexual-assault allegations far predate all of this nonsense, I'm having a hard time doing so.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:34 pm

BL wrote:
Although I've found his voice obnoxious from the moment I first heard it in Cloverfield, I want to be sympathetic given that Miller has obvious substance-abuse and brain-damage issues. But given that his sexual-assault allegations far predate all of this nonsense, I'm having a hard time doing so.

I'm fairly TJ Miller-neutral. He isn't offensive enough for me to wish him ill will. Although his recent troubles are obviously relevant, my above post was also more of a reference to what they've decided to do with his character on Silicon Valley since he's left.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Anyone watch that Elton John tribute last night? I abhor pop fodder and honestly, never heard of half these artists. With that being said, they all did a great job with the John/Taupin collection. Some even had a unique spin on them and they didn't blow.

Good show!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 pm

David S. Goyer to tackle a version of Isaac Asimov's Foundation books

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 am

I hadn't seen this :D

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:35 am

I hope Ash vs. Evil Dead hasn't jumped the shark.

Another Bad Ash and multiple killings that are not only in bad taste, but also never mentioned again, which is a shame because all of this show's killings have had an impact so far. Not to mention, there's also some kind of "Upside Down" thing going on that doesn't really fit into this universe. Maybe they should have only made one season.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Anyone watching the new Lost in Space show on Netflix? Two episodes in and it’s pretty light and fun sci-fi. Surprised and delighted to see the whole season was directed by Neil Marshall. :o

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Kyle Chandler to star in Hulu's adaptation of Catch-22

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Thief wrote:
I hadn't seen this :D

This is still probably my favorite inspired-by-Breaking-B comedy thing out there:

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:41 am

HBO's Andre the Giant documentary is as good as I'd hoped. It has just the right balance of Andre's wrestling career, his life off the wrestling mat, his acting career as well as his health, i.e. alcoholism and gigantism struggles. Some have complained that Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon hijack the documentary and make it more about themselves and the WWF, but while they do provide the most commentary, it didn't seem excessive. Besides, Andre's rise dovetails with the rises of the WWF and Hulkamania and their commentary pays off during the climactic coverage of Wrestlemania 3. If anything, the documentary proves that being special in some way is a double-edged sword. While it may bring fame and fortune, it can also bring great pain and frustration because the general public tends to pay more attention to the novelty than the humanity.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Torgo wrote:
HBO's Andre the Giant documentary is as good as I'd hoped. It has just the right balance of Andre's wrestling career, his life off the wrestling mat, his acting career as well as his health, i.e. alcoholism and gigantism struggles. Some have complained that Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon hijack the documentary and make it more about themselves and the WWF, but while they do provide the most commentary, it didn't seem excessive. Besides, Andre's rise dovetails with the rises of the WWF and Hulkamania and their commentary pays off during the climactic coverage of Wrestlemania 3. If anything, the documentary proves that being special in some way is a double-edged sword. While it may bring fame and fortune, it can also bring great pain and frustration because the general public tends to pay more attention to the novelty than the humanity.

Yup, watched this over the weekend also. Very well presented, like every HBO doco.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:56 am
Profile WWW

Captain Oats wrote:

Yusssss. If you haven’t watched Mindhunter get on it!

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 am

I've seen everything but the last two episodes I think. Got burned out from watching the episodes then my friend watching them while I was there. :( But will definitely finish.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:27 am
Profile YIM

I've already got a lady's shoe in hand.
Uh...forget I said that.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 am

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:15 am
Profile WWW

So bummed this is the last season of AvED. :(

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am

Aggretsuko on Netflix is my new favorite thing. Imagine a Japanese Dilbert, but with death metal karaoke.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm reluctant to get into a new series right now, but I'd like to know if both Looming Tower and The Terror are worth my time.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 am

Thief wrote:
I'm reluctant to get into a new series right now, but I'd like to know if both Looming Tower and The Terror are worth my time.
I haven't seen it yet - I'm in the same situation - but friends and family who have seen it love it so far and it's based on one of my favorite books.

Speaking of new shows, should I join the Westworld craze?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 am

Torgo wrote:
I haven't seen it yet - I'm in the same situation - but friends and family who have seen it love it so far and it's based on one of my favorite books.

Speaking of new shows, should I join the Westworld craze?

I have Westworld on my "To watch" list, but haven't gotten to it yet. I was wondering if I should see the film first or just dive into the TV show.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08 am

Loved the Westworld movie since I was a kid. The HBO show is real solid but it’s a whole different beast. I’d recommend watching them both but just because I like them. You don’t have to have seen one to get the other or anything.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 am

Deschain wrote:
So bummed this is the last season of AvED. :(
Same here. I had no idea this was coming. I did a double take when I read that series finale thing during the post credits preview. I'm wondering if there's any kind of chance Netflix could step in.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 am

And did anyone check out the newest season of Archer? Is it more of the same suckiness as last season?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Same here. I had no idea this was coming. I did a double take when I read that series finale thing during the post credits preview. I'm wondering if there's any kind of chance Netflix could step in.

That won't happen either, apparently.
I'll miss it greatly. It's one of the most rawly entertaining series I've ever watched.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 am

Torgo wrote:
That won't happen either, apparently.
I'll miss it greatly. It's one of the most rawly entertaining series I've ever watched.
He probably grew weary of being shot in the face with a blood cannon (or however they did those gonzo FX). But it was as close to flawless a union of actor to role as I've ever seen. But like the article stated at least he's not going anywhere.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:46 am

Oh and sorry for all the posts but I watched the season nine Archer premiere and I had to comment. They had a good seven year run but with last years subpar season and a clearly underwhelming start to this one, it's giving all indications of having jumped the shark. And that is a shame, but there's no way they could have kept up that level of comedic brilliance without some boundary stretching or tinkering. Too bad it didn't work out though. Oh well, we still have Rick and Morty. For the time being.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am

I think Adam Reed is just done creatively with the show. It's why he had to do the current past two seasons this way.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:01 am
Profile YIM

I predict that next year, Archer will follow a superhero format. Pam will be some kind of Thing/Hulk strongperson, Ray will be a wheelchair-bound Professor X type, Cyril will be an ancillary Hawkeye type who everyone forgets about ("aww c'mon, I am useful to this team!"), etc.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Star Wars Resistance Is the Next Lucasfilm Animated Series and the Details Are Absolutely Incredible

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 am
Profile WWW

I enjoyed the hell out of the first two episodes of Cobra Kai.

Really looking forward to the rest.

I also finished Prime's Brittania.

Pretty darn good, well acted and neatly directed. I enjoyed it a lot.

Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 am

Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am
Profile WWW

Deschain wrote:
Anyone watching the new Lost in Space show on Netflix? Two episodes in and it’s pretty light and fun sci-fi. Surprised and delighted to see the whole season was directed by Neil Marshall. :o

It started out quite good but went downhill at increasing speeds until I found myself skipping entire scenes just to get through to the end so I could stop watching it.

Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 am

Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile WWW

^^^^^

I'm soooo up for this! :up:

Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Shout out to Barry. Season 1 finale coming up and supposedly getting even darker in season 2.

Thu May 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 am
Profile WWW

The other shoe has dropped and FOX has cancelled Brooklyn Nine Nine and The Last Man On Earth. Bummer.

Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 am

I really enjoyed Last Man on Earth, but it really seemed they were stretching things thin as the show went on.

Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am

I love Brooklyn Nine Nine tho. I even supported it. I bought all the seasons digitally so you cant blame this on me. I blame... *points finger* THIEF. He's been stealing for years!

Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
I love Brooklyn Nine Nine tho. I even supported it. I bought all the seasons digitally so you cant blame this on me. I blame... *points finger* THIEF. He's been stealing for years!

Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 18911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377 ... 379  Next