It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 18955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Thief wrote:

Ooooh, they're so dark and edgy :roll:

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:07 am
Profile WWW

Deschain13 wrote:
Yeah the last couple seasons have been real solid. And it feels like 24 because it’s made by some of the same people.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing, but a bit more grounded (emphasis in "a bit")

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 am

Joss Whedon is making The Nevers, a new sci-fi series for HBO:

HBO has given a series order to “The Nevers,” a science-fiction drama from Joss Whedon. The series is described as a sci-fi epic about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

Whedon will serve as writer, director, executive producer, and showrunner.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 am

Slentert wrote:

LOL, that's pretty good. I love how their faces resemble the "trollface", in case someone "missed it" :D

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 am

I have one episode to go of this Cobra Kai series, but I have to say it is one of the most entertaining things I've seen recently. Sure, I know I'm the perfect target audience, but I think that despite some minor narrative and performance issues, and a lack of subtlety in how it emulates its source, it is extremely well made.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Thief wrote:

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing, but a bit more grounded (emphasis in "a bit")
If you're interested in some more grounded War On Terror thrillers, Showtime's older series Sleeper Cell was really good, at least, for the 1st season (S2 was worth watching as well, just not quite as much); just brace yourself for unresolved, unplanned series finale cliffhangers at the end, seeing as how it was cancelled after that point.

As for Homeland, I remember the 1st season being the best, but it mostly kept my attention through the lesser season 2, until S3 took forever in getting to where it was trying to go, and, while S4 wasn't bad, it still wasn't quite good enough to keep my attention regardless.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Thief wrote:

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing, but a bit more grounded (emphasis in "a bit") If you're interested in some more grounded War On Terror thrillers, Showtime's older series Sleeper Cell was really good, at least, for the 1st season (S2 was worth watching as well, just not quite as much); phenq customer reviews https://theskinnyvibes.com/phenq-reviews-and-results/ just brace yourself for unresolved, unplanned series finale cliffhangers at the end, seeing as how it was cancelled after that point.

As for Homeland, I remember the 1st season being the best, but it mostly kept my attention through the lesser season 2, until S3 took forever in getting to where it was trying to go, and, while S4 wasn't bad, it still wasn't quite good enough to keep my attention regardless.

I know some people hate 24, but I've loved every season of it. Homeland does feel like 24 and the reason is what Stu said above.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Stu wrote:
If you're interested in some more grounded War On Terror thrillers, Showtime's older series Sleeper Cell was really good, at least, for the 1st season (S2 was worth watching as well, just not quite as much); just brace yourself for unresolved, unplanned series finale cliffhangers at the end, seeing as how it was cancelled after that point.

Thanks for the rec.

Re: Homeland, I've always thought the best stretch the show had was the one from mid-S1 to mid-S2. Eventually, it started to devolve and turned more repetitive and/or ludicrous. Most of S3 felt more like an excuse to stretch the Brody story, although I was more or less satisfied with the way it ended. S4 was ok, I guess, but it felt kinda like it was struggling to find its bearings post-Brody. In a way, it felt like 24 S4, which was also a bit tough to get into at first because of a mostly new cast. But like I said, I found S5 and S6 to be pretty good. Last season (7) had several good/great moments, but I thought it was a notch below S6.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:13 pm

JamesHutchinson wrote:

I know some people hate 24, but I've loved every season of it. Homeland does feel like 24 and the reason is what Stu said above.

I loved 24, even though its obvious the formula grew stale with time, the showrunners always found a way to make it fun and interesting.

That said, 24: Legacy was a real dud. Not because of the lack of Jack (I thought Corey Hawkins did a good job), but the story, script, dialogue was downright atrocious.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Thief wrote:

I loved 24, even though its obvious the formula grew stale with time, the showrunners always found a way to make it fun and interesting.

That said, 24: Legacy was a real dud. Not because of the lack of Jack (I thought Corey Hawkins did a good job), but the story, script, dialogue was downright atrocious.
I didn't even bother with Legacy. While watching a promo for it, I was like "don't you think that concept has run its course?"
On the other hand, I really liked 24: Live Another Day. It's a season that's all 24-grade meat, if that makes sense, and none of the fat, i.e.
Jack's wife getting amnesia, Kate hiding in a convenience store that's about to get robbed, etc.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:33 am

Torgo wrote:
I didn't even bother with Legacy. While watching a promo for it, I was like "don't you think that concept has run its course?"
On the other hand, I really liked 24: Live Another Day. It's a season that's all 24-grade meat, if that makes sense, and none of the fat, i.e.
Jack's wife getting amnesia, Kate hiding in a convenience store that's about to get robbed, etc.

Well, LAD still managed to have one or two filler episodes (Jack spending one whole episode trapped in a secure room trying to upload a file), but overall, I agree. And it got better as it went on.

Legacy is not even worth bothering. I'm a huge 24 fan and I don't think I can stress that enough. It was horrible.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:00 am

Jason Clarke To Star Opposite Helen Mirren In ‘Catherine The Great’ Limited Series For HBO:

Article wrote:

Jason Clarke has been tapped to star opposite Helen Mirren in the HBO/Sky limited drama series Catherine the Great. Written by Nigel Williams (Elizabeth I, Wodehouse in Exile) and directed by BAFTA and Emmy winner Philip Martin (The Crown, Mo, Prime Suspect), the four-episode series is set against the politically tumultuous and sexually charged court of Russian empress Catherine the Great (Mirren). Catherine wielded supreme power throughout Russia for nearly half of the 18th century; strong-minded, independent, brilliantly intelligent and sexually liberated, she was the definition of the modern woman.

Produced by Origin Pictures and New Pictures, the limited series will follow Catherine toward the end of her reign and her passionate affair with Grigory Potemkin (Clarke), a Russian military commander who became Catherine’s lover, favored statesman and life-long friend. Amid scandal, intrigue and immense conflict, they develop a unique and devoted relationship, overcoming their adversaries and together serving as the architects of modern-day Russia.

Mirren also executive produces the HBO/Sky co-production. David M. Thompson (Woman in Gold, Death Comes to Pemberley) executive produces for Origin Pictures with New Pictures’ Charlie Pattinson (Elizabeth I, The Missing, Skins), Mirren and Philip Martin.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:21 pm

I recently started watching TNT's Animal Kingdom and I have to say it's pretty darn good. Finished season 1 last night and all of it was pretty intense and well acted.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:45 am

Thief wrote:
I recently started watching TNT's Animal Kingdom and I have to say it's pretty darn good. Finished season 1 last night and all of it was pretty intense and well acted.

I haven't watched the TV show (and their recent addition of Denis Leary means I probably won't ever watch it), but the movie on which it is based is really good and well worth a watch.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:31 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I haven't watched the TV show (and their recent addition of Denis Leary means I probably won't ever watch it), but the movie on which it is based is really good and well worth a watch.

I had heard good things about the film, but never got around it. My wife started watching the show and recommended it, so I got on it. It's well acted and entertaining. I had seen the ads for the new season featuring Leary, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:36 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I watched a single episode and thought it was an insult to the film. Basically, they try to turn the family into something more like the Sopranos and ignore all of that stuff about being obviously horrible human beings. Someone saw the film and thought that if def needed to be more sexy.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:42 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I watched a single episode and thought it was an insult to the film. Basically, they try to turn the family into something more like the Sopranos and ignore all of that stuff about being obviously horrible human beings. Someone saw the film and thought that if def needed to be more sexy.

I haven't seen the film, or The Sopranos for that matter, so I don't have that frame of reference, but I do think the show doesn't shy away from showing how awful these people are. Don't know how they are portrayed in the film, but on the show, we see from the get go that the grandmother is a manipulative and despicable person, while her sons all range from psychopaths, to adulterers, and coked up meatheads. One of the things I struggled with during most of the season was precisely the fact that there's no character to root for; they are all morally reprehensible.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:44 am

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:28 am
Profile WWW

Fox developing 24 prequel series about young Jack Bauer
Captain Oats wrote:
:!: :!: :!:

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 am

I don't know what to think about that.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm gonna need 24 hours to reflect on this news.

But anyway,
how will the show generate any suspense or tension when we know that young Jack Bauer survives to adulthood?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 pm

They should have made the 24: Nightfall movie/series 10 years ago.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 pm

Torgo wrote:
I'm gonna need 24 hours to reflect on this news.

But anyway,
how will the show generate any suspense or tension when we know that young Jack Bauer survives to adulthood?

I can only imagine there will be a fair share of moments like "Hey, look! this is how he met Tony!" or "He's being hired by CTU!". That's the first thing that comes to my mind :roll:

The other thing that comes to mind is that it feels like a fad, kinda like making a Taken series (cancelled, btw) or a young Jack Ryan series, or just this recent obsession with prequels.

But then again, being a fan of the show, I do think there is enough material referenced to make a series. But eventually it boils down to what you say... no tension at all, just forced drama.

My wish would be for them to just make one final mini-series where the mission is to break Jack out of prison in Russia, and somehow end it. Period.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
They should have made the 24: Nightfall movie/series 10 years ago.

Operation Nightfall is one of the things I had in mind when I mentioned the things referenced in the show. But the truth is that there'll be no point to make it since we already know how it ends.

One thing the show was successful with was tracing a whole character's history with just body language and visual cues. The show only covered 24 hours and there was never a flashback scene, and yet, there was no need of huge expository dialogues to set the stage. Directors and writers just knew how to walk around this and create a whole background of a character without resorting to the usual clichés.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 am

For Rick and Morty fans...

Why a New Writing Style Should Excite Fans

And here's a pretty cool interview with Dan Harmon, sharing some trivia and explaining the creative "process" behind some of the show episodes...

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:42 am

I don't think there's a Netflix related thread but I just had to say I added a bunch of new releases to my queue. Well..six to be exact. Six movies that either caught my attention when they were first released or that I've heard good things about since. Yep. Six movies I'll probably never get around to seeing. Room, Locke, Life After Beth, A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, The Rover and Tusk.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:30 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I don't think there's a Netflix related thread but I just had to say I added a bunch of new releases to my queue. Well..six to be exact. Six movies that either caught my attention when they were first released or that I've heard good things about since. Yep. Six movies I'll probably never get around to seeing. Room, Locke, Life After Beth, A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, The Rover and Tusk.

Room and Locke are both real good. Life After Beth is silly fun. Even as a Kevin Smith fan I didn’t like Tusk.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:40 pm

boojiboyhowdy wrote:

The only ones I've seen of those are Room and The Rover. The former is great, the latter is ok/good. Slow paced, but well acted.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Room and Locke are both real good. Life After Beth is silly fun. Even as a Kevin Smith fan I didn’t like Tusk.
Yeah I have to be careful about Kevin Smith films. His topics are intriguing enough but his follow through doesn't always connect with me. It's a horror film though so I think I should at least give it a try. I also like Aubrey Plaza and again horror (comedy) so I'll give LAB a shot maybe. But I don't know what movie I mistook A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III with. I saw Bill Murray was in it and I immediately associated it with Wes Anderson. Instead it's a five year old project starring Charlie Sheen of all people and with a 15% Tomatometer. I think I'll go ahead and delete that one.

Thief wrote:
The only ones I've seen of those are Room and The Rover. The former is great, the latter is ok/good. Slow paced, but well acted.
I'm definitely watching Room and Locke and The Rover not only stars Guy Pearce but Robert Pattinson, an underrated actor who I think was unjustly tarred with that Twilight brush. Plus I really liked David Michod's directorial debut Animal Kingdom.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I'm definitely watching Room and Locke and The Rover not only stars Guy Pearce but Robert Pattinson, an underrated actor who I think was unjustly tarred with that Twilight brush. Plus I really liked David Michod's directorial debut Animal Kingdom.

I've never seen any of the Twilight films, but I really liked Pattinson in this. I also plan on watching Animal Kingdom. I'm currently watching the TNT series, in which Michôd is involved as an executive producer, and it's really good, but I've heard the film is much better and a bit more violent/raw.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 am

Thief wrote:
I've never seen any of the Twilight films, but I really liked Pattinson in this. I also plan on watching Animal Kingdom. I'm currently watching the TNT series, in which Michôd is involved as an executive producer, and it's really good, but I've heard the film is much better and a bit more violent/raw.
Same here for the Twilight films. I'm just going by the stuff I've seen him in outside of that accursed franchise. And I haven't seen the TV adaptation of AK but the movie was great.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:

I'll echo the strong praise for Room. I thought that Locke was okay, certainly elevated by an incredibly strong, solo performance from Tom Hardy. I thought that The Rover was pretty good, and the odd dynamic between the two lead characters gives it some distinction from other post-apocalyptic slogs.

Unrelated: have any of you watched Pose? I'm about 4 episodes in and I think it's really good.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:26 am

I saw the first Twilight movie. To quote a Melissa McCarthy movie, it ate a bag of dicks.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I don't know what movie I mistook A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III with. I saw Bill Murray was in it and I immediately associated it with Wes Anderson. Instead it's a five year old project starring Charlie Sheen of all people and with a 15% Tomatometer. I think I'll go ahead and delete that one.

The film is not for most tastes and, like all of Roman Coppola's projects, has the air of entitled indulgence throughout. What's more interesting then is Charlie Sheen himself, being a living church of entitled indulgence, and the film being made during his public meltdown (his swan dive, if you will). It has some faux-Wes charm (they're friends and collaborators), and a quirky sense of surrealism that will irritate most audiences. Also, it's too easy to see Sheen being let off the hook in what was ostensibly supposed to be a film about unraveling his asshole tendencies. No doubt that Sheen took it as more of a vanity piece, and Coppola (childhood Apocalypse Now friends) is too sympathetic to really drop the hammer. Instead the film is too self-referential, insulated and absorbed.

For me, any film with Jason Schwartzman as a cowboy in a Jew-fro simply can't be too terrible to watch.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Haven't watched Pose. But I may give A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III a shot.

Did anyone watch the premiere of Better Call Saul yet? I watched both that and Lodge 49. I can see why they would pair up these seemingly disparate series together. They're both in no great rush to impress anyone with flash or overwrought drama. I think I'll stick with L49 (and BCS of course). I want to see where it ends up going.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Haven't watched Pose. But I may give A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III a shot.

Did anyone watch the premiere of Better Call Saul yet? I watched both that and Lodge 49. I can see why they would pair up these seemingly disparate series together. They're both in no great rush to impress anyone with flash or overwrought drama. I think I'll stick with L49 (and BCS of course). I want to see where it ends up going.

Yeah I been watching BCS since the beginning. Solid start to the season last night, especially the opening scene and all the Mike stuff.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:14 am

I haven't caught them yet, but both Venture Bros. and Better Call Saul started their new seasons this week. I'm pumped to say the least.

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
Yeah I have to be careful about Kevin Smith films. His topics are intriguing enough but his follow through doesn't always connect with me. It's a horror film though so I think I should at least give it a try.

I love Tusk, but it's almost more of a novelty than a film. The best way to brace yourself is to know that Johnny Depp somehow manages to simultaneously be the best and worst thing about the entire experience.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am

Patrick Stewart Is Returning to Star Trek for a New Series About Picard

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Oh shit son! Slow West is now available on Netflix. I can't wait to start neglecting to watch this.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:15 am

I know that it's fluff, but I've been watching Person of Interest. I have to say, it's almost Law and Order-like in terms of the quality of guest stars.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am

NBC's Making It is a must-see. It borrows heavily from the format of The Great British Baking Show, but is that really a bad thing? Not to mention, it's a joy to see Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler working together again.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Torgo wrote:
NBC's Making It is a must-see. It borrows heavily from the format of The Great British Baking Show, but is that really a bad thing? Not to mention, it's a joy to see Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler working together again.

I'm so excited for this show. I love watching people build/make things, but I hate people screaming at each other, or being deliberately pushed into meltdowns.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I'm so excited for this show. I love watching people build/make things, but I hate people screaming at each other, or being deliberately pushed into meltdowns.
It's been free of that kind of drama so far, thankfully. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but based on Offerman & Poehler's hosting style and the personalities of the contestants, there probably won't be any.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Torgo wrote:
It's been free of that kind of drama so far, thankfully. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but based on Offerman & Poehler's hosting style and the personalities of the contestants, there probably won't be any.

I'm literally watching it right now. I like that the emphasis is on celebrating the artists. Like British Bake-Off it just feels very gentle for lack of a better word. This is my kind of show.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 pm

I finished watching El Chapo. Good series. Next up is Ozark. That's only 1 season so far so it should be a relatively quick binge.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I think season 2 of Ozark just came out or is about to come out.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 pm
Profile YIM

ski petrol wrote:
I finished watching El Chapo. Good series. Next up is Ozark. That's only 1 season so far so it should be a relatively quick binge.

Ozark season 2 at the end of the month. Decent show.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 pm

I thought I had written something about it here, but apparently not. I finished The Looming Tower a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was pretty great. Excellent performances from almost everyone involved, but most notably Jeff Daniels, Peter Sarsgaard, Bill Camp, Wrenn Schmidt, Tahar Rahim, and Michael Fuckin' Stuhlbarg, who has to be the busiest fuckin' actor in Hollywood today. I mean, is there a film or TV show that this guy isn't in right now?

The series never goes the route of sensationalistic entertainment, but rather treats its subject with respect and honesty, since as far as I could read, most of what it's on actually happened. That is one of the most infuriating things, since almost every episode made me want to throw a chair at the TV. Anyway, it also achieves something that is not rare on film/TV, but I suppose it's not easy and that is to create a tense, taut thriller around events where we already know the outcome. Anyway, ten episodes, it's on Hulu. Check it out.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 pm

A Veronica Mars revival starring Kristen Bell is in the works at Hulu:

Article wrote:
EW has learned a new season of the fan favorite mystery series is close to a deal at the streaming service — with original creator Rob Thomas and series star Kristen Bell on board.

Several elements of the deal are not yet closed but a revival has been quietly in the works for months between studio Warner Bros. and Hulu. We’re told the arrangement will allow Bell to appear on the new series despite her commitments to NBC’s The Good Place.

Aside from that, the unknowns outnumber the knowns at this point: What’s the storyline? How many episodes? Will other original series actors get invited back? When will it air? All TBD.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:15 pm

A question regarding TWD and FTWD. I don't know if this was ever addressed on the latter because I quit during Season 2, but from the beginning, this show was more or less marketed as some sort of "prequel", or a show where we will see how the zombie apocalypse came to be. Obviously, that was pretty much covered in Season 1, and from there on, the show turned into the same Walking Dead but with a different cast and a different setting. Now, while TWD is hitting Season 9, FTWD is on Season 4, I think. My question is that since they are crossing over Morgan from one show to the other, how are they accounting for the time discrepancy between both shows? Like I said, I quit FTWD back in Season 2, but that show had to have a massive time-jump for them to catch the same timeline as TWD. Is this addressed somehow?

Stupid question since I honestly don't care about either show, but I've had it in my mind while seeing the promos.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380  Next