It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

Is anyone watching Disenchantment? I'm halfway through the first season and I really like it so far. Critics have accused it of being unfunny, but I find myself laughing as much as I did while watching the initial run of Futurama, a series that this one resembles in spirit. All the same, it's definitely a series for our times, and not just because
King Zog and Queen Oona resemble Donald and Melania Trump.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Thief wrote:
A question regarding TWD and FTWD. I don't know if this was ever addressed on the latter because I quit during Season 2, but from the beginning, this show was more or less marketed as some sort of "prequel", or a show where we will see how the zombie apocalypse came to be. Obviously, that was pretty much covered in Season 1, and from there on, the show turned into the same Walking Dead but with a different cast and a different setting. Now, while TWD is hitting Season 9, FTWD is on Season 4, I think. My question is that since they are crossing over Morgan from one show to the other, how are they accounting for the time discrepancy between both shows? Like I said, I quit FTWD back in Season 2, but that show had to have a massive time-jump for them to catch the same timeline as TWD. Is this addressed somehow?

Stupid question since I honestly don't care about either show, but I've had it in my mind while seeing the promos.

Spoilers obviously

The previous season of FTWD kept jumping back and forth from its own timeline to a timeline after TWD’s most recent season. In the future timeline Morgan meets a more desperate and feral version of the cast of FTWD. Now this season it’s completely in the future timeline.

You’re right to give up on the show. It’s terrible.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Spoilers obviously

The previous season of FTWD kept jumping back and forth from its own timeline to a timeline after TWD’s most recent season. In the future timeline Morgan meets a more desperate and feral version of the cast of FTWD. Now this season it’s completely in the future timeline.

You’re right to give up on the show. It’s terrible.

I debated for a while if I should go back to it, after I kept reading great things about Season 3. But apparently, Season 4 got it back to its crappy self. I still don't know why I'm watching the original. Last two seasons have been downright horrible.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 pm

I've quit watching FtWD too and that small, niggling OCD part of me wants to go back and catch up. But then I see a promo or maybe run across it while channel surfing and even though they got rid of two of the most annoying characters there's still Alicia to contend with. It's simply not good enough or interesting enough to bother to follow. As for TWD, Andrew Lincoln is leaving after next season so that may or may not be a catalyst for positive changes. Otherwise it'll probably signal the end. At this point I can take it or leave it.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:46 am

Torgo wrote:
Is anyone watching Disenchantment? I'm halfway through the first season and I really like it so far. Critics have accused it of being unfunny, but I find myself laughing as much as I did while watching the initial run of Futurama, a series that this one resembles in spirit. All the same, it's definitely a series for our times, and not just because
King Zog and Queen Oona resemble Donald and Melania Trump.

I've watched about 6 episodes of it and I think it's okay. There are definitely some laugh out loud moments, but also some parts that really drag. I fell asleep at one point watching an episode and thought "maybe I should go back and watch those last 10 minutes" and then immediately was like "Nah."

It's fine, but to me it lacks something. I will say that the AVClub's reviews have shown pretty high grades for the last episodes of the season, so I will watch the whole thing to see what I think of the "best" episodes.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:10 am

Disenchantment really picked up in the back half. They really start to world build which I like. I hope that they expand a bit more but get more straightforward comedy/satire like we did in Futurama now that they've set the world up.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:56 am
Profile YIM

You know what ended up finally disappointing me about 2+ seasons and 27 episodes in? Bojack Horseman. I kept reading encouraging things about it on Reddit so I decided to give it a shot. But it hasn't really improved or expanded upon the initial gimmick and setup. I thought it was supposed to transmute into a darker examination of how childhood stresses can impact the rest of your life but it hasn't. At least not more than halfway though it's current run. Maybe it's a generational thing or something. Let's just call it The Lonely Island syndrome and leave it at that. Anyway I don't think I'll bother watching any more episodes.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:04 pm

It does actually do everything you say. They examine Bojack's childhood and other parts. It's more of an overaching long game for that. But trust me it gets pretty intense. Season 2 is where it started picking up steam and Season it's just off and running. Same with season 4. If I'm correct the last season is where they got into his mother's childhood and man that stuff was hard to watch at times.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Profile YIM

For me Bojack takes off about halfway through season 1 and never lets up. But I would say for anyone it hasn't grabbed by at least sometime in season 2 then yeah, it's probably not your show. Thoughts and prayers.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 pm

What no one ever mentions about Bojack is that all the existential examination of his character makes up about a quarter of the show. The rest is a comedy that skewers Hollywood and makes goofy animal puns. So if that’s not your thing you might not like it.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 am

Over the last few months i've been watching...

The Night of 9/10

The Tunnel (Seasons 1-3) 9/10

Vikings (Seasons 1-5) 8/10

Night and Day (Season 1) 8/10

Legion (Season 2) 6/10

Westworld (Season 2) 6/10

Luke Cage (Season 2) 5/10

Jessica Jones (Season 2) 2/10 :shock: Yeesh... what a stinker

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:32 am

I don't watch much television (no judgement or anything, I'm just a movie-guy) but I have delved back into Firefly and man was that a good show.
The idea that that was network television and how well it works, how Whedon and company were able to navigate all the restrictions of network TV, and make such a compelling thing... it's something.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:30 am

Deschain13 wrote:
What no one ever mentions about Bojack is that all the existential examination of his character makes up about a quarter of the show. The rest is a comedy that skewers Hollywood and makes goofy animal puns. So if that’s not your thing you might not like it.
This just about covers it as far as my experience goes. The *nudge nudge wink wink* Hollywood bits and the animal antics were okay at first but when that's mostly what you get it gets kind of monotonous.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:29 am

So I watched the first episode of Disenchantment and liked it well enough. I love the demon character. By far the funniest part of the show.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:40 am

So far In the Flesh is well-realized, dramatic, and
queer but not queer-baiting
and I'm kind of loving it.

It follows the story of an alternate reality where a zombie infestation is in the past and they can be treated. We follow a young man named Kieran as he returns to his family and his conservative community that isn't ready to accept the undead.

I'm watching it on Amazon if anyone's interested.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 am

I remember seeing advertisements for that years ago. Glad to hear it's pretty good.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:36 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
I remember seeing advertisements for that years ago. Glad to hear it's pretty good.

There are only six episode of it in total, and I've now watched 3 of them. I'd say it's more than pretty good--and I understand why it's got such a high IMDb rating.

It is incredibly well executed in both its text (the zombie story) and subtext. The performances are solid and the show manages to address a lot of notions (being gay in a small town, suicide, guilt, religious extremism, etc) through a really interesting lens.

I was expecting mostly a comedy, with a bit of drama, but instead it's mostly drama with a bit of comedy. Fortunately the comedy is pretty funny ("You been doing your affirmations, love?" a nurse asks, and a doctor silently hands him a small mirror) and underneath that there's a darker strain of comedy.

The show uses its time really well, and I don't think there's been a single wasted scene. Considering you can consume the whole show in 6 hours, I highly recommend it.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:16 am

6 episodes? Hmm I thought it was 9 episodes.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:18 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
6 episodes? Hmm I thought it was 9 episodes.

Oh, my gosh! You're right!

The first season only had 3, so I assumed that would be true for the second season. Woo!

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:25 am

My DVR had a little Easter egg waiting for me a couple of days ago. Season 13 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is premiering on September the 5th. But it looks like Glenn Howerton won't be part of it. Or maybe he will. Maybe Mindy Kaling is a red herring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NLmdNUwkWc

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:16 am

Anyone watching Insatiable? Fun little show.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:52 am

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 am
Profile WWW

That looks better than I expected.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Technically a limited series but I just finished Sharp Objects and it is DAMN good. Very spooky and unsettling with some of the richest character development and symbolism I can remember. While at the same time having likeable characters and an intriguing mystery.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Cool. I'll give it a chance then.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:12 pm
Profile YIM

Preacher is done for the year. This season was, of course, better than last years. A lot more stuff going down. Bigger stakes and all that. I liked how all the myriad storylines turned out to be, if not satisfying, at least watchable. Cassidy and Eccarius/Les Enfants du Sang. Starr/The Grail/Allfather. Angelville/Gran'Ma/Jody/TC. The Saint of Killers/Eugene/Hitler. Jesse is still the least interesting thing about the show though. And I think they wrapped up the Angelville segment way too quickly and almost perfunctorily. The actual bad news is that ratings were down and Season 4 is by no means a lock.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Technically a limited series but I just finished Sharp Objects and it is DAMN good. Very spooky and unsettling with some of the richest character development and symbolism I can remember. While at the same time having likeable characters and an intriguing mystery.

I've been really mixed on the Gillian Flynn stuff that I've read (too much graphic violence and too much "did you know ladies can be really messed up?!"), but everything I've heard/read about Sharp Objects has been very good.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:38 am

Best news of the day:

'Gravity Falls’ Creator Alex Hirsch Signs Netflix Deal

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:50 am

The Venture Bros. has been killing it so far. Like an old friend who has moved back to your hometown, it's a very welcome return. Except for maybe South Park and Adventure Time, it's the most consistently good long-running animated series of this era.
However, I'm not crazy about them
taking the death of Rusty's robotic father so lightly, but then again, the season is young.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:17 pm

I watched Glow Season 1. Good stuff. Going to start Glow Season 2 soon but I'm liking what I'm seeing of it.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:20 am
Profile YIM

Killing Eve 9/10 Takoma :up:

Safe 8/10

The Alienist 7/10

The Woman in White 6/10

Collateral 6/10

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 am

Rumpled wrote:
Killing Eve 9/10 Takoma :up:

Eve is a bored, whip-smart security services operative whose desk-bound job doesn't fulfil her fantasies of being a spy. Villanelle, is a talented killer who clings to the luxuries her violent job affords her. These two fierce women, equally obsessed with each other, will go head to head in an epic game of cat and mouse, toppling the typical spy-action thriller.

Wow. Why has this series not come to my attention sooner? Everything in passing I read about it made me assume it was just some legal drama.

Have any of you watched Patriot? It's a quirky, dark Amazon series about a government operative/assassin who has a mental breakdown, but then returns to work and immediately goes undercover in a pipe-building company in order to commit a complicated series of espionage. Michael Dorman, in the lead role, is pretty amazing.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

Eve is a bored, whip-smart security services operative whose desk-bound job doesn't fulfil her fantasies of being a spy. Villanelle, is a talented killer who clings to the luxuries her violent job affords her. These two fierce women, equally obsessed with each other, will go head to head in an epic game of cat and mouse, toppling the typical spy-action thriller.

Wow. Why has this series not come to my attention sooner? Everything in passing I read about it made me assume it was just some legal drama.

Have any of you watched Patriot? It's a quirky, dark Amazon series about a government operative/assassin who has a mental breakdown, but then returns to work and immediately goes undercover in a pipe-building company in order to commit a complicated series of espionage. Michael Dorman, in the lead role, is pretty amazing.

Patriot’s real solid. Love the Asian guy with brain damage.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I've browsed over it, but never really paid attention. Good to know it's good.

So far, all of the Amazon (or Amazon exclusive) series I've seen have ranged from pretty good to great. I fully recommend them all...

Catastrophe
Fortitude
Bosch
Britannia
Goliath

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:15 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Patriot’s real solid. Love the Asian guy with brain damage.

I think that several of the characters are wonderfully memorable.

Thief wrote:
I've browsed over it, but never really paid attention. Good to know it's good.

So far, all of the Amazon (or Amazon exclusive) series I've seen have ranged from pretty good to great. I fully recommend them all...

Catastrophe
Fortitude
Bosch
Britannia
Goliath

Patriot is different from any other series I've seen, particularly in the way that it blends comedy and drama. A lot of times, shows don't get that balance right for me. I really liked Catastrophe. I started both Bosch and Fortitude and didn't get past the first few episodes--not because I didn't like them, but I just didn't get any momentum going with them and have meant to go back and watch more but just haven't.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:19 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Patriot is different from any other series I've seen, particularly in the way that it blends comedy and drama. A lot of times, shows don't get that balance right for me. I really liked Catastrophe. I started both Bosch and Fortitude and didn't get past the first few episodes--not because I didn't like them, but I just didn't get any momentum going with them and have meant to go back and watch more but just haven't.

For me, the initial hook in Fortitude was Stanley Tucci. He's superb in it. But I was also caught up in the mystery of what was happening. The plot gets a bit weirder, and there are times where you kinda feel the writers are figuring things out, particularly in Season 2, but it still holds up pretty well. I also have to say that Richard Dormer (probably known to most people as Beric Dondarrion on Game of Thrones) is excellent here. He is absolutely wasted in GoT, but here he is a revelation.

Bosch was more of a slow burn, but despite it looking like another cop show on the surface, the writers and the actors manage to create engaging characters that elevate it. They also did a smart move by starting with a serial killer plot for Season 1, which I think was a good hook for audiences, to then evolve the show into a more complex take on police life, government, and corruption. Titus Welliver owns the role, and the supporting cast is solid. Season 4 was probably my favorite, particularly because of how they developed a strong relationship between Bosch and his daughter (Madison Lintz) that feels real.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:16 am

Thief wrote:

For me, the initial hook in Fortitude was Stanley Tucci. He's superb in it. But I was also caught up in the mystery of what was happening. The plot gets a bit weirder, and there are times where you kinda feel the writers are figuring things out, particularly in Season 2, but it still holds up pretty well. I also have to say that Richard Dormer (probably known to most people as Beric Dondarrion on Game of Thrones) is excellent here. He is absolutely wasted in GoT, but here he is a revelation.

Bosch was more of a slow burn, but despite it looking like another cop show on the surface, the writers and the actors manage to create engaging characters that elevate it. They also did a smart move by starting with a serial killer plot for Season 1, which I think was a good hook for audiences, to then evolve the show into a more complex take on police life, government, and corruption. Titus Welliver owns the role, and the supporting cast is solid. Season 4 was probably my favorite, particularly because of how they developed a strong relationship between Bosch and his daughter (Madison Lintz) that feels real.

My parents really enjoyed Bosch, and we watched probably the first three or four episodes together. I think that part of the problem is that about 3-4 years ago (or whenever Bosch came out), I was kind of burned out on serial killer plots and just generally bleak plots. I can't even remember the central mystery, but was there a dead child? In any event, I could see the quality of acting and production in both series but wasn't in the right headspace to enjoy them as narratives.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:26 am

Takoma1 wrote:

My parents really enjoyed Bosch, and we watched probably the first three or four episodes together. I think that part of the problem is that about 3-4 years ago (or whenever Bosch came out), I was kind of burned out on serial killer plots and just generally bleak plots. I can't even remember the central mystery, but was there a dead child? In any event, I could see the quality of acting and production in both series but wasn't in the right headspace to enjoy them as narratives.

The pilot opens with the cops finding the remains of a dead child. Without giving too much away, the serial killer plot ends up being peripheral to the emotional baggage that the dead child brings up in the character.

FWIW, while Season 1 focuses on that serial killer plot, Season 2 is a bit of an homage to film noir, in terms of style and plot. Season 3 focuses more on corruption within government and police, and Season 4 takes a more personal approach to family.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:32 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I shall look into this :up:

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Kidding looks like absolute crap. The first episode is not a promising start.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 am

I was bored last night and checked the first episode of Jack Ryan. It was one of the dullest pilots I've seen. The only shining light was Bunk.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:02 am

Farewell, Adventure Time. What an incredible finale. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer. A series with this depth and breadth deserved a feature-length ending.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:55 am

I'm frankly amazed by the quality and imagination of kids programming these days. Something like The Amazing World of Gumball for instance. 15 minutes of inspired and clever wackiness done over and over and over.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:39 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
I'm frankly amazed by the quality and imagination of kids programming these days. Something like The Amazing World of Gumball for instance. 15 minutes of inspired and clever wackiness done over and over and over.

I agree. My nephews love Gumball, but I've found myself enjoying it with them as well. But there are other examples like Steven Universe or Teen Titans Go!... there are others that I'm forgetting the names, but most of them also have some clever writing and witty jokes that can be enjoyed by adults as well. A couple of years ago, I was hooked on Phineas & Ferb. I really liked that one too.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:56 am

Thief wrote:
I agree. My nephews love Gumball, but I've found myself enjoying it with them as well. But there are other examples like Steven Universe or Teen Titans Go!... there are others that I'm forgetting the names, but most of them also have some clever writing and witty jokes that can be enjoyed by adults as well. A couple of years ago, I was hooked on Phineas & Ferb. I really liked that one too.
There are others I've caught that are pretty good all on their own but I can't recall specifics either. I remember there was a poster back at RT/GD that had a Phineas & Ferb avatar. Can't remember their name either. Stupid brain.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 am

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia premiered last night and I have to admit those bastards had me going. I thought there was a good chance there might be a reveal but it still caught me off guard.
I don't know how often Glenn Howerton will actually be on the show this season but his appearance last night really ended up tickling me. I think it's a better show with the whole cast present. But it's too bad they lost that dusky wench Mindy Kaling. I've always found her hot.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 am

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia premiered last night and I have to admit those bastards had me going. I thought there was a good chance there might be a reveal but it still caught me off guard.
I don't know how often Glenn Howerton will actually be on the show this season but his appearance last night really ended up tickling me. I think it's a better show with the whole cast present. But it's too bad they lost that dusky wench Mindy Kaling. I've always found her hot.

What i loved about it was
all the advertising made it seem like he wasn’t going to be on the show at all. I’m so glad nothing got leaked or spoiled. And the preview for the next episode looks like it has plenty of Dennis.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:46 am

Latest binges..

Marcella Season 1 & 2 9/10

The Sinner 8/10

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am

Hey television folks: suggestions for an action or comedy series that's on the lighter side. Definitely not looking for cringe comedy, or anything that could be described as "dark".

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Hey television folks: suggestions for an action or comedy series that's on the lighter side. Definitely not looking for cringe comedy, or anything that could be described as "dark".

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is goofy and bonkers and delightful.

American Vandal is a fun parody of true crime docs. Season 1 is terrific and 2 drops on Friday.

Schitt’s Creek is real light and fluffy sitcomy stuff.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is super chill and quick.

I don’t even like wrestling but Glow is also real good.

All on Netflix.

Edit: The Good Place also has the first two seasons on Netflix and 3 hits network TV on September 27.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379  Next