It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:07 am



Reply to topic  [ 19235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385  Next
 The Television Thread 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Deschain13 wrote:
Just finished it, I liked it too. It got positivitely Lynchian there for a little bit. Don’t think it needs a season 2.


Agreed. I think it makes for a great capsule story.


Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

If you were only going to watch 3 shows from the last 10 years, what would those shows be?

Bunheads is excluded because obviously everyone would watch that.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
If you were only going to watch 3 shows from the last 10 years, what would those shows be?

Bunheads is excluded because obviously everyone would watch that.
How about Breaking Bad, Hannibal, and Broadchurch?

_________________
Recently Reviewed


Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:
I finished the second season of Future Man and thought that it did a really nice job (as with the first season) of building to a satisfying "conclusion", yet leaving room for another story (in a totally different direction).

I regret speeding through it so fast, but it did a really nice job of continuing to build its characters and the dynamics between them.


Just finished it. Last two episodes were insane, particularly the second to last :D

Really liked that last stretch, and I also liked how it ended.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Thief wrote:

Just finished it. Last two episodes were insane, particularly the second to last :D

Really liked that last stretch, and I also liked how it ended.


Yup. Just a really great final stretch, and Eliza Coupe is a genius (that voice!). And I'm a huge fan of shows that end in a way that could be just the end, or that could lead to another season.

As for three shows from the last 10 years. . . .hmmm.

Are we only going scripted, or just shows in general? If it's shows in general: Hannibal, The Good Place and either British Bake Off, Drag Race or Project Runway.


Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:58 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:
As for three shows from the last 10 years. . . .hmmm.

Are we only going scripted, or just shows in general? If it's shows in general: Hannibal, The Good Place and either British Bake Off, Drag Race or Project Runway.
I ask the question that way because... I've probably only really watched 5 shows in the last 10 years, yet we're supposed to be in the "golden age of TV", so I figured I'd missed out on something. I never in a million years would have watched Hannibal - what makes a show that's a spinoff of a spinoff about a serial killer so good? I generally avoid anything and everything involving serial killers or organized crime just because it tends to lean far too much into the Tarantino and not nearly enough into the... I don't know, I can't think of anything interesting. To me, when violence is involved, everything becomes less interesting, because there's no more choice - only survival (or evil).

I've watched probably 10 or so seasons of Project Runway, so I like that choice. Fascinating to see creative people in a bizarrely constrained medium do their best.

Is The Good Place equally good across all seasons? And does it ruin it if you already know the twists? I read an article about the show because I'm usually not all that interested in shows with big gimmicks unless they're really good at fleshing out the human details that you spend most of your time with.

I can't watch the Great British Bake Off because it sounds too full of itself. Maybe if it was called the British Bake Off, or the "We Hope It's Great British Bake Off", but never the Great British Bake Off. That makes sense, right?

The only thing I can think of that I really thought might be mentioned is Atlanta. Maybe Mad Men? Or the new Twin Peaks? Was that any good? I know Atlanta involves drugs and violence, but the one episode of Atlanta that I saw involved violence and it was as impactful as violence really is, which was interesting.

I also want to watch Future Man because Eliza Coupe is the greatest.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

I would say Breaking Bad is essential, and probably the best show that has been made recently (it's currently my #3 favorite show).

I'm tempted to say Game of Thrones, but even though it is still good, the dip in quality during the last three seasons is significant. I'd rather wait until it finishes to pass final judgment.

My other two from the last 10 years would probably be The Americans and Boardwalk Empire. Hannibal would be a close fourth.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
I never in a million years would have watched Hannibal - what makes a show that's a spinoff of a spinoff about a serial killer so good? I generally avoid anything and everything involving serial killers or organized crime just because it tends to lean far too much into the Tarantino and not nearly enough into the... I don't know, I can't think of anything interesting. To me, when violence is involved, everything becomes less interesting, because there's no more choice - only survival (or evil).


Well, just from a stylistic point of view, Hannibal is maybe the most beautiful show I've seen. It's use of color, angles, and just blatant visual "performance" from the camera is pretty astounding. It is true that violence (and some of it graphic) is a fundamental element of the show, but at its heart there are some really powerful themes of trust, love, and empathy. Hugh Dancy as Will is one of my favorite protagonists in any TV show. He is deeply empathetic and moral, even as he struggles to function in a world that operates on a different frequency. The cast of the show is uniformly talented, ranging from good to damn. The first season hews toward a "monster of the week" format, but that goes away in the following seasons as the show allows itself to pull most of its drama from the central cast themselves. I also came to Hannibal around the time where it felt like every thriller TV show centered on rapists who were getting away with it (The Fall, Happy Valley, etc), and so it was nice to find a show that felt like it was exploring violence and fringe psychology without a voyeuristic or exploitative bent. Maybe it's a result of having a gay creator (or maybe not), but this is the rare show that feels like it treats male bodies and female bodies with the same point of view. It's also a show that managed to surprise me almost week to week. By the end of its run I was hugely emotionally invested in the story and the individual characters, and it's rare for a show to be so consistently good and involving.

Quote:
I've watched probably 10 or so seasons of Project Runway, so I like that choice. Fascinating to see creative people in a bizarrely constrained medium do their best.


I love watching talented people be talented: cooking, making clothing, crafting, woodworking, etc. I partly picked Project Runway because it has so many seasons, but I'd probably replace it with British Bake Off because I really do like the lack of drama. Though that would mean giving up Michael Korrs critiques, so, hmmmm. "You achieve the impossible: she has camel toe in big shorts."

Quote:
Is The Good Place equally good across all seasons? And does it ruin it if you already know the twists? I read an article about the show because I'm usually not all that interested in shows with big gimmicks unless they're really good at fleshing out the human details that you spend most of your time with.


Despite the premise, I love The Good Place for all the reasons that have nothing to do with the plot twists. It's basically a three-season long conversation about what it means to be a good person. It literally spends almost a whole episode debating the ethics of the Trolley Problem. I've gone back to watch all of the episodes and they get better each time. Knowing the plot twists (and there are a ton of them) ahead of time doesn't matter. The most recent season finale made me just straight up cry.

Quote:
I can't watch the Great British Bake Off because it sounds too full of itself. Maybe if it was called the British Bake Off, or the "We Hope It's Great British Bake Off", but never the Great British Bake Off. That makes sense, right?


British Bake-Off is the TV equivalent of a hug. I've never disliked a single contestant. It brings together an incredibly diverse (in age, gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity) group of people and quietly celebrates the strengths they each bring to the table. There are a lot of puns.

Quote:
I also want to watch Future Man because Eliza Coupe is the greatest.


I wouldn't have thought it would be a show I liked given the pretty raunchy tone of it. But it's most certainly very funny and I think that in the second season they manage to refine the formula and flesh out the characters even more.

I'm always like 10 years behind on TV. I'll probably get around to Atlanta in 2028. I've never had the desire to watch Mad Man. Like, not at all.


Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Mad Men is more than 10 years old, but if it counts, is pretty easily one of the best of all the big marquee shows of the last decade.

For comedy it would either be Parks and Rec or maybe Broad City

Reality Television? Project Runway is probably the correct answer, but I'm also in love with the junior edition of Apprentice UK


Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
Mad Men is more than 10 years old, but if it counts, is pretty easily one of the best of all the big marquee shows of the last decade.

For comedy it would either be Parks and Rec or maybe Broad City

Reality Television? Project Runway is probably the correct answer, but I'm also in love with the junior edition of Apprentice UK
You're banned for even mentioning The Apprentice in any form. Sorry, it's not personal.

I can't stand the tone on Parks and Rec, but I've started watching Broad City. They may have the same tone, I don't know, but I like it. Sue me.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:39 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

As far as reality shows, I'll have to go classic with Amazing Race. Maybe not an inventive choice, but I just love that show. Considering that I'm a frustrated wannabe traveler, the show gives me the chance to live vicariously through these people that get the chance to visit so many cool places while doing so many fun, interesting things. I've seen all 30 seasons, and it's still one of the shows I most look forward to.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:
Well, just from a stylistic point of view, Hannibal is maybe the most beautiful show I've seen. It's use of color, angles, and just blatant visual "performance" from the camera is pretty astounding. It is true that violence (and some of it graphic) is a fundamental element of the show, but at its heart there are some really powerful themes of trust, love, and empathy. Hugh Dancy as Will is one of my favorite protagonists in any TV show. He is deeply empathetic and moral, even as he struggles to function in a world that operates on a different frequency. The cast of the show is uniformly talented, ranging from good to damn. The first season hews toward a "monster of the week" format, but that goes away in the following seasons as the show allows itself to pull most of its drama from the central cast themselves. I also came to Hannibal around the time where it felt like every thriller TV show centered on rapists who were getting away with it (The Fall, Happy Valley, etc), and so it was nice to find a show that felt like it was exploring violence and fringe psychology without a voyeuristic or exploitative bent. Maybe it's a result of having a gay creator (or maybe not), but this is the rare show that feels like it treats male bodies and female bodies with the same point of view. It's also a show that managed to surprise me almost week to week. By the end of its run I was hugely emotionally invested in the story and the individual characters, and it's rare for a show to be so consistently good and involving.
I just feel like... I would rather get emotionally invested in a story and characters that wasn't revolving around a serial killer. Or, even if it was, if they could just never show anything about the serial killer, just people working in the office or coming home from work... that's actually a fantastic idea. Make that show, I'll watch it. The Office - Of Serial Killer Investigators.

Takoma1 wrote:
Despite the premise, I love The Good Place for all the reasons that have nothing to do with the plot twists. It's basically a three-season long conversation about what it means to be a good person. It literally spends almost a whole episode debating the ethics of the Trolley Problem. I've gone back to watch all of the episodes and they get better each time. Knowing the plot twists (and there are a ton of them) ahead of time doesn't matter. The most recent season finale made me just straight up cry.
I've read a lot of philosophy, and hence a lot of ethics, so hearing that a whole episode on the trolley problem seems like it's intended for an audience with no familiarity with philosophy and ethics. Am I wrong? My impression of the show, having watched none of it, is that it's very shiny and simplistic, and I'd prefer something more nuanced and detailed like a Koreeda or Ostlund or, like, Alex Ross Perry film. And yet, I wish each of those people would make a much longer film or short series to add more depth, so I would like a good TV show... and I like Bunheads which is very shiny and simplistic so... maybe i should give it a shot?

Quote:
British Bake-Off is the TV equivalent of a hug. I've never disliked a single contestant. It brings together an incredibly diverse (in age, gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity) group of people and quietly celebrates the strengths they each bring to the table. There are a lot of puns.
Hugs is what Tim Gunn is for. It is difficult watching the judges on project runway tear into someone who isn't able to separate others' opinions about their work from their own point of view. I do enjoy watching someone get savaged by the judges only to turn around and say, "Well, I love what I made, and that's the most important thing." Steadfast defiance and confidence! Take that, Middling British Baking Show Down that I've never watched and is probably great.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Quote:
I've read a lot of philosophy, and hence a lot of ethics, so hearing that a whole episode on the trolley problem seems like it's intended for an audience with no familiarity with philosophy and ethics. Am I wrong? My impression of the show, having watched none of it, is that it's very shiny and simplistic, and I'd prefer something more nuanced and detailed like a Koreeda or Ostlund or, like, Alex Ross Perry film. And yet, I wish each of those people would make a much longer film or short series to add more depth, so I would like a good TV show... and I like Bunheads which is very shiny and simplistic so... maybe i should give it a shot?


The show has really short seasons (like 13 25-minute episodes), so it's really easy to watch the whole series in a week or two.

I don't think it's simplistic, because even if the discussion of the ethical ideas are a bit beginner (which is fair enough, because I'm not sure your average person has read Scanlon's What We Owe to Each Other), the film does really interesting things with the characters. There is a constant question about what's best for the group versus what's best for the individual characters. I don't know. Maybe you'll watch it and think it's kind of basic ("Ya basic!"), but it's a show I think about a lot.

Also, I just happen to think that it's a really funny show. I'm borderline obsessed with Jameela Jamil at this point (thanks also in part to her real-world exploits).


Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:33 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
Mad Men is more than 10 years old, but if it counts, is pretty easily one of the best of all the big marquee shows of the last decade.

For comedy it would either be Parks and Rec or maybe Broad City

Reality Television? Project Runway is probably the correct answer, but I'm also in love with the junior edition of Apprentice UK

Broad City is SO good.


I’m gonna cheat a bunch here because there are a ton of amazing shows and even separating dramas and comedies I’m leaving so much out, but I’ll start with Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul as one because it’s the same universe. Two other dramas for me would be Fargo and Game of Thrones.

For three comedies I’ll pick Veep, Rick & Morty, and South Park.

Damnit that’s still leaving out so many shows.


EDIT: I’ll break it up even more.

Crime Dramas:
Fargo
Breaking Bad
Mindhunter

Sci-if/Fantasy:
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror
Breaking Bad

Live action comedies:
Veep
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
American Vandal

Animated Comedies:
Rick and Morty
South Park
Big Mouth


Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
I just feel like... I would rather get emotionally invested in a story and characters that wasn't revolving around a serial killer. Or, even if it was, if they could just never show anything about the serial killer, just people working in the office or coming home from work... that's actually a fantastic idea. Make that show, I'll watch it. The Office - Of Serial Killer Investigators.
For what it's worth, though I haven't rewatched it sinc it was (tragically) cancelled, I remember Hannibal being set more from Will's point of view than Hannibal's, if that helps.

_________________
Recently Reviewed


Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:54 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Deschain13 wrote:
Broad City is SO good.


I’m gonna cheat a bunch here because there are a ton of amazing shows and even separating dramas and comedies I’m leaving so much out, but I’ll start with Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul as one because it’s the same universe. Two other dramas for me would be Fargo and Game of Thrones.

For three comedies I’ll pick Veep, Rick & Morty, and South Park.

Damnit that’s still leaving out so many shows.


EDIT: I’ll break it up even more.

Crime Dramas:
Fargo
Breaking Bad
Mindhunter

Sci-if/Fantasy:
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror
Breaking Bad

Live action comedies:
Veep
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
American Vandal

Animated Comedies:
Rick and Morty
South Park
Big Mouth


I agree about the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul pairing, although I'm still giving the latter a chance to finish. Fargo and Rick and Morty would also be some really great choices.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

I thought the "from the last ten years" part meant 2009 to 2019. Breaking Bad would have been my first choice but I thought it missed the cutoff by one year since it ran from '08 to '13. In which case...

1. Breaking Bad
2. Game of Thrones
3. Bob's Burgers


Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

1. Veep
2. Nathan For You
3. Documentary Now

(hm: Louie, if we're being honest)


Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
1. Veep
2. Nathan For You
3. Documentary Now

(hm: Louie, if we're being honest)

Nathan For You is phenomenal.


Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

If we're talking about shows that are about being a good person, Louie outpaces The Good Place by leaps and bounds.

I like The Good Place (for starters, I watch it, and that alone speaks volumes about a show), but I wouldn't call it insightful, or even particularly well written. It's basically a group of stock characters, each with a signature joke they repeat ad nauseum for the entire series (Chidi is indecisive, Jason is from Florida, etc). The show gets by largely on charm, and it's the commitment of the cast that makes it work. Ted Danson and D'Arcy Carden really carry it.

Louie, boiled down to its essentials, is about empathy. And it struggles with that subject in a way I've never seen in any other show. Granted, CK's current standing probably isn't inspiring people to go and watch it, but it's one of the only truly interesting and distinctive TV shows of the past 20 years.

_________________
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.


Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:57 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

1. Twin Peaks: The Return
2. Twin Peaks: The Return (re-watch, obviously)
3. Bunheads


Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Macrology wrote:
If we're talking about shows that are about being a good person, Louie outpaces The Good Place by leaps and bounds.

I like The Good Place (for starters, I watch it, and that alone speaks volumes about a show), but I wouldn't call it insightful, or even particularly well written. It's basically a group of stock characters, each with a signature joke they repeat ad nauseum for the entire series (Chidi is indecisive, Jason is from Florida, etc). The show gets by largely on charm, and it's the commitment of the cast that makes it work. Ted Danson and D'Arcy Carden really carry it.

Louie, boiled down to its essentials, is about empathy. And it struggles with that subject in a way I've never seen in any other show. Granted, CK's current standing probably isn't inspiring people to go and watch it, but it's one of the only truly interesting and distinctive TV shows of the past 20 years.


I'd take any episode of The Good Place over the one episode of Louie I watched. His vibe has always made me profoundly uncomfortable anywhere outside of him holding a mic. I'm not being like "Called it!!", but for whatever reason he always raised that red flag and I don't enjoy watching him in acting roles. And with what I know now that's only redoubled. The Good Place makes me laugh and The Good Place makes me think. I love watching it with others, I love watching it by myself. It is full of glorious, glorious food puns. If I had a choice of only three shows to have had access in the last 10 years, it would be high on the list.


Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
If you were only going to watch 3 shows from the last 10 years, what would those shows be?

Bunheads is excluded because obviously everyone would watch that.

Brilliant: Twin Peaks: The Return, Nathan for You, Enlightened, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Bojack Horseman, Review with Forrest MacNeil
Might be brilliant: Louie, Hannibal, The Leftovers, Legion, Utopia
Great: True Detective (Season 1), Fargo, Black Mirror, Rick & Morty, Better Call Saul, The Knick
Good: Parks and Recreation, Game of Thrones (until the last few seasons), Justified, The Life and Times of Tim, The Haunting of Hill House
Unintentionally genius: Ghost Adventures (seriously - it's so fucking funny)

True Detective Season 3 has been very good so far, but it's still on the air and I'm not sure how poorly they'll handle the rest of the episodes.

I'm probably forgetting a lot, but oh well. This is just the stuff I still think about regularly.

_________________


Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Brilliant: Twin Peaks: The Return, Nathan for You, Enlightened, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Bojack Horseman, Review with Forrest MacNeil
Might be brilliant: Louie, Hannibal, The Leftovers, Legion, Utopia
Great: True Detective (Season 1), Fargo, Black Mirror, Rick & Morty, Better Call Saul, The Knick
Good: Parks and Recreation, Game of Thrones (until the last few seasons), Justified, The Life and Times of Tim, The Haunting of Hill House
Unintentionally genius: Ghost Adventures (seriously - it's so fucking funny)

True Detective Season 3 has been very good so far, but it's still on the air and I'm not sure how poorly they'll handle the rest of the episodes.

I'm probably forgetting a lot, but oh well. This is just the stuff I still think about regularly.
Is this The Returned, which appears to have both a French version and an American remake, or something else?

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

It's Twin Peaks: The Return, AKA Twin Peaks Season 3

Sorry, should've clarified that a bit better

_________________


Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:

I'd take any episode of The Good Place over the one episode of Louie I watched. His vibe has always made me profoundly uncomfortable anywhere outside of him holding a mic. I'm not being like "Called it!!", but for whatever reason he always raised that red flag and I don't enjoy watching him in acting roles. And with what I know now that's only redoubled. The Good Place makes me laugh and The Good Place makes me think. I love watching it with others, I love watching it by myself. It is full of glorious, glorious food puns. If I had a choice of only three shows to have had access in the last 10 years, it would be high on the list.


Louie is deliberately off-putting, and while the nature of his role varies (the show doesn't really adhere to a strict logic there), he's often meant to be unlikable. The show has a really peculiar style to it -- I've honestly never seen anything that has quite the same pacing, editing, etc -- and I can see how some people might not take to it, but that distinctiveness is part of what appeals to me. The Good Place is a pretty standard sitcom, saved by an oddball premise and a lot of heart.

Also, thank god someone mentioned Twin Peaks. I was starting to get worried.

_________________
Ma`crol´o`gy
n. 1. Long and tedious talk without much substance; superfluity of words.


Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:08 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Macrology wrote:
That distinctiveness is part of what appeals to me. The Good Place is a pretty standard sitcom, saved by an oddball premise and a lot of heart.


Fair enough. But after a really rough week of work, that lot of heart was literally sometimes the thing I would think about to get me through Friday.


Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
It's Twin Peaks: The Return, AKA Twin Peaks Season 3

Sorry, should've clarified that a bit better
Yeah, that would be like saying Fire Walk With Me instead of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Actually, I would have gotten that. Maybe they just needed a better title.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

I know I said that you weren't supposed to mention Bunheads, but nobody broke the rules and mentioned Bunheads anyway and that is very troubling. You're all very troubling.

And nobody mentioned You're the Worst, which is one of the only shows I did watch, and I don't even have to say what that means about you.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
It's Twin Peaks: The Return, AKA Twin Peaks Season 3

Sorry, should've clarified that a bit better

LEAVES wrote:
Yeah, that would be like saying Fire Walk With Me instead of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Actually, I would have gotten that. Maybe they just needed a better title.

I find signs LEAVES is colon blind, but I'm too refined to cross the line and post jokes of those kind, as others may mind

_________________


Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
I know I said that you weren't supposed to mention Bunheads, but nobody broke the rules and mentioned Bunheads anyway and that is very troubling. You're all very troubling.


Look again, friend! You've got a kindred spirit about five posts up.

Okay, describe Bunheads to me.

I'm not into cynicism.


Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Bandy Greensacks wrote:

I find signs LEAVES is colon blind, but I'm too refined to cross the line and post jokes of those kind, as others may mind
Not too proud to rhyme, though, and I do mind.
Takoma1 wrote:

Look again, friend! You've got a kindred spirit about five posts up.

Okay, describe Bunheads to me.

I'm not into cynicism.
Please don't act like I can read. I clearly can't.

Bunheads: It's like Project Runway for ballet, only much funnier and not a reality show.

NAILED IT!

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
Bunheads: It's like Project Runway for ballet, only much funnier and not a reality show.


Okay, so now I have to watch Bunheads. Thanks.


Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:39 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:

Okay, so now I have to watch Bunheads. Thanks.
Here's a question your might ask yourself:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14&p=1029077#p1029077

And you're welcome. Also, it starts terribly for no apparent reason. I skipped the first two episodes and started at episode 3. After I watched them all I watched the first two. I hadn't missed much.

EDIT: Seems like it's free on Freeform with ads.

https://freeform.go.com/shows/bunheads/ ... /season-1/

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Twin Peaks the return
Joe Perra Talks to You
My Daughter Seoyoung


Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:48 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Bojack Horseman
Justified
Rick and Morty

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
Stan & Ollie (Baird, 2018)


Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Image

Ordeal By Innocence 9/10

A BBC Agatha Christie 3 parter with F bombs, drug addiction and interracial lovin' :up:

Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuAj2ei9rJc


Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

I'd watch it.
There's another Agatha Christie adaptation, The ABC Murders, that was just added to Amazon Prime. John Malkovich playing Poirot is enough to make me watch it despite the average reviews.

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
Stan & Ollie (Baird, 2018)


Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:34 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Rumpled wrote:
Image

Ordeal By Innocence 9/10

A BBC Agatha Christie 3 parter with F bombs, drug addiction and interracial lovin' :up:

Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuAj2ei9rJc

:heart: Is that Alice Eve? :heart:

_________________
Captain's Log


Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Captain Terror wrote:
:heart: Is that Alice Eve? :heart:


Yes.. yes it is


Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

She was also on season 3 of Daredevil.


Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
She was also on season 3 of Daredevil.

Actually it was Season 2 of Iron Fist but yes, that's my favorite role of hers so far. Nice to see her move beyond the usual "pretty girl" roles she gets.

In fact, I'll take this moment to alert everyone that hated Iron Fist S1 that I found S2 to be a step up. Fans of Coleen Wing/Misty Knight should be pleased with this season. And Danny himself bugged me less this time around than in S1.

_________________
Captain's Log


Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Captain Terror wrote:
Actually it was Season 2 of Iron Fist but yes, that's my favorite role of hers so far.
:blush2: How embarrassing. I guess my brain farted and refused to associate her decent performance with Iron Fist. But you are right about S2 being an improvement from S1. And those last few minutes of episode 10 teased some promising new developments for the show as a whole. Right on time for it to be axed of course.


Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

boojiboyhowdy wrote:
:blush2: How embarrassing. I guess my brain farted and refused to associate her decent performance with Iron Fist. But you are right about S2 being an improvement from S1. And those last few minutes of episode 10 teased some promising new developments for the show as a whole. Right on time for it to be axed of course.

Yeah, the only reason I watched IF2 was because my completist brain wouldn't allow me to skip it on my way to Daredevil 3, but I actually found myself enjoying it. Misty Knight is by far my favorite part of Luke Cage, so I'm bummed that we won't get to see the Knight/Wing team in action. Oh well.

_________________
Captain's Log


Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Torgo wrote:
Bojack Horseman

As popular as Bojack is now, I still think it's a bit under-appreciated. You wouldn't think a cartoon comedy about a talking horse would be one of the most honest depictions of depression/anxiety and what it means to be a "good person".

_________________


Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
As popular as Bojack is now, I still think it's a bit under-appreciated. You wouldn't think a cartoon comedy about a talking horse would be one of the most honest depictions of depression/anxiety and what it means to be a "good person".
On the contrary, I wonder what else could it possibly be? Remember Mr. Ed? Soul-crushingly affective.

_________________
LEAVES come from TREES
Retired


Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

The Venture Bros. has been my favorite show for a good decade. It really finds itself in the second and third seasons, transcending the very influences that it set out to spoof in the first place.


Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:54 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:
Finished Russian Doll and thought it was pretty great. Wish they'd fleshed out one plot element a little more, but overall a really funny, dark, interesting series.

I just finished that show and it is was wonderful. What plot element would you have liked to be fleshed out more?


Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 am
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Slentert wrote:
I just finished that show and it is was wonderful. What plot element would you have liked to be fleshed out more?


MAJOR SPOILERS
I felt like there was something a bit unresolved with the backstory involving her mother. In one of the final "lives" there's the question "Are you ready to let her die?" and she says yes. But he mother was clearly mentally ill. I felt like there needed to me more of a conversation about the difference between mental illness (which her mother certainly had) and depression/trauma (which she clearly had). There's this person who is engaging in incredibly self-destructive behaviors because she blames herself for her mother's death. I just wanted a touch more sense of resolution as to where her head was at the end of the series regarding her mother.


Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Television Thread

Takoma1 wrote:

MAJOR SPOILERS
I felt like there was something a bit unresolved with the backstory involving her mother. In one of the final "lives" there's the question "Are you ready to let her die?" and she says yes. But he mother was clearly mentally ill. I felt like there needed to me more of a conversation about the difference between mental illness (which her mother certainly had) and depression/trauma (which she clearly had). There's this person who is engaging in incredibly self-destructive behaviors because she blames herself for her mother's death. I just wanted a touch more sense of resolution as to where her head was at the end of the series regarding her mother.


Yeah, I agree that there was something lacking there. Another slight nitpick of mine is

Her ex boyfriend not returning in the last episode. He seemed to be really important in the beginning of the show, but doesn't even get mentioned in the final.


Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Deschain13 and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.