It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 A Corrierino Awareness Thread 
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Denial of Armenian genocide denial to be banned by French parliament, sparks row with Turkey

While I really can't agree with France banning of saying a certain thing, Turkey's really coming off petty here, especially considering that the bill is a internal affair of France's; they already banned Holocaust-denying, and why care so much if France fines people inside their borders for this? "How dare you bring attention to something shitty that actually happened here?? Tantrum time!"

Turkey is like the Chris Brown of nations.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Smalley wrote:
"How dare you bring attention to something shitty that actually happened here??
Because they deny that it did, or at least refuse to acknowledge it.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Because they deny that it did, or at least refuse to acknowledge it.

I know that, but it doesn't make sense; I imagine all the Turks who were involved with the genocide are dead now, so acknowledging it wouldn't really result in major repercussions against anyone living. I know nations want to put their best foot forward, but everyone has these skeletons in their closet, y'know, shameful periods, and it seems Turkey would save themselves a lot of avoidable tension if they just admitted it.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

GOP wat: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationn ... -food.html

Not that this bill would actually accomplish something or even makes sense existing, but I guess he had to do SOMETHING to prove he's pro-life, rite? And this is coming from a pro-life guy.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:06 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/02 ... .html?_r=4

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:44 am

http://news.yahoo.com/banking-pot-shops ... 28304.html

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 am

why are Mormons just now getting in public trouble over "praying in" and posthumously baptizing holocaust victims for decades

if anybody here is a Mormon, I don't mean to offend think you're a cretin and a huckster and a masochist

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 pm

http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2012/0 ... ilippines/

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Obama administration to offer legal justification for targeted killings of Americans

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 am

Fucking finally, although (potentially) huge gaffe in the report:

Quote:
months after a drone strike killed a U.S.-born cleric who plotted attacks from Yemen.

And all other instances that simply imply that involvement was proven.
Supposedly, according to the Obama administration.. yet they refuse to publicly let this information out. to the best of my knowledge, there still hasn't been conclusive evidence publicly released about Alwaki's involvements with plotted attacks, just claims.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 am

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 am
Profile WWW

This Kony deal is really irresponsible. It almost doesn't matter that it's putting forward a picture untied to reality and making its case disingenuously, the case itself and what it wants to induce is dangerous and proven already ineffective. The West has for years been underwriting African efforts to disrupt the LRA, and they've been disastrous and themselves intensely violent to civilian populations. The US last year sent dozens of Special Forces advisers to east Africa with kill-or-capture orders, and this is on top of well-underway campaigns by US Africa Command working with no less than four countries. And there's very little to show for it, because the LRA hasn't existed as a centralized force with a back to break for many years. (And, by the way, hasn't even existed in Uganda since at least 2006, and this is not mentioned for some reason.) Many Ugandans are suffering terribly under that government, which would be bolstered and empowered by this "stop Kony at all costs" business.

Quote:
... it underlines the point that a superficial focus on the activities of one man and a few of his commanders largely sidesteps the point. Kony and his colleagues lead a dreadful but relatively small organization that punches above its weight. If achieving stability and relative prosperity in this blighted region of Africa is the real objective, devoting the month of November to the LRA will obviously not be anything like enough.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ ... ?page=show

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03/07 ... n-a-notch/

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog ... e-stopkony

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 pm

As it turns out, Eric Holder's speech on legal justification is kind of terrifyingly loose.

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/06/attorne ... singleton/

And yeah, the whole Kony '12 nonsense is kind of repugnant when you actually evaluate who's behind it (Invisible Children is like the PETA of social awareness groups.), and what it actually elevates is irresponsible and not the way of going about it.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2fosZm/ww ... avery-era/

lolwut

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:15 am

They are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Obama. I mean, there are points where you can attack him for - but that'd actually require defending constitutional rights and asserting a reasonable foreign affairs policy from Republicans, sooo, instead, slavery.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:20 am
 Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Das wrote:
They are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Obama. I mean, there are points where you can attack him for - but that'd actually require defending constitutional rights and asserting a reasonable foreign affairs policy from Republicans, sooo, instead, slavery.
The GOP spent the last decade completely violating the constitution and they also engaged in terrible foreign policy decisions. They know that they don't have a leg to stand on, so they throw that bullshit at Obama. So yeah, I agree with you on that front.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:28 am

MadMan wrote:
The GOP spent the last decade completely violating the constitution and they also engaged in terrible foreign policy decisions. They know that they don't have a leg to stand on, so they throw that bullshit at Obama. So yeah, I agree with you on that front.

Yep, if they go after him on actual wrongs - they'd get blasted for their hypocrisy, so this is really all they've got left, demonize him and everyone associated with hm.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:43 am

Fox, shut the f*ck up about how victimized you are

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:21 pm

:x

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

Oh my.

The Google Search.

One blog.
Another blog.
A third blog.

Truly, I am disappointed, but not terribly surprised by this reaction. BTW, this is the link that someone posted about at The Museum of Hoaxes...otherwise I'd never have known about this "backlash." I haven't read the books, and didn't see this coming.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:03 am

Couple things:

There's a point at which political ads and commentary become immune to satire and parody. I think we've almost reached that point.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 am

Woah, Poe's Law all up in this bitch.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 am

I'd laugh at that Rick Santourm ad if there weren't actually people who believe that type of hyperbolic fear mongering nonsense.

Also Sarah Palin is still really dumb. Gotcha.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17675399

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:50 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 40770.html

Well, duh?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/14/our_rea ... president/
This is not awareness in the sense of news, but I only read this recently, and it made total sense to me. Kinda sad that one of the worst US presidents ever was gay, though, it doesn't do anything to tackle prejudice head-on.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 am

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/01/p ... -from-god/

:facepalm:

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 35808.html

"This could deter offenders and lead to a fall in crime."

That's probably what they said after inventing fingerprint powder.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:40 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/dna-science-that-may-make-photofits-a-thing-of-the-past-8135808.html

"This could deter offenders and lead to a fall in crime."

That's probably what they said after inventing fingerprint powder.

The only solution is to capture the criminal before they commit a criminal act; this can be achieved by building a deterministic police system, though there is a potential for paradoxical complications to occur. I thought of the idea in a previous life - back in the '50s - after I took hallucinogenic drugs.

Last.fm

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:10 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 81341.html

Umm.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:14 am
Profile WWW

Amurrica.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:41 pm

JediMoonShyne wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/boston-marathon-bombings-czech-republics-ambassador-concerned-by-americans-confusing-his-country-with-chechnya-8581341.html

Umm.

As fucking stupid as this is, as an American..

We're a really big country, some people aren't too smart. Sorry about those people.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:50 pm

And it's kind of amazing how revealing a fast, worldwide communication tool like Twitter is when it comes to exposing how lacking a sizable amount of people's education and mindsets are worldwide, almost simply because it's so quick and easy they don't ever think about what they're saying.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:58 pm

True. The sad thing is that we're the only country with stupid and uneducated people. One can only wish that they had been spread about a little more equitably by Nature. And if only there weren't any of those stupid people in my own family.

Oh, well, I guess I can wish in one hand and let a tiger piss in the other and see which one fills up the fastest.

Now, where did I leave that tiger?

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 am

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Frightening.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

https://twitter.com/AP/status/332691165302370305

:(

Fri May 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Tue May 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Don't get me started on Glenn Greenwald. "We kept Mubarak in power"? Occupying other countries is the standard for bad governing? Also, what wars in Europe? The wars in Europe are largely ethnic ones, not religious ones. Bosnia isn't in conflict because somebody wasn't religious enough. This false equivalency bullshit needs to stop. Greenwald supported the Iraq war, too, which also makes him a fucking hypocrite.

| letterboxd

Tue May 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Also, there's this little gem. Greenwald has been heading the crusade against Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and other new atheists who he claims to be nothing more than Islamophobes. That's an incredibly stupid statement in and of itself, but here's where it gets funny. In his own words, from his own book:

Quote:
I accepted his judgment that American security really would be enhanced by the invasion of this sovereign country [Iraq].

Quote:
Soon after our invasion of Iraq, when it became apparent that, contrary to Bush administration claims, there were no weapons of mass destruction, I began concluding, reluctantly, that the administration had veered far off course from defending the country against the threats of Muslim extremism.

In his own words, he acknowledges the very same issue Harris and Dawkins have been targeting, and in even more broadly sweeping terms, as if Muslim extremism was this massive impetus of evil preparing to take over our precious country.

| letterboxd

Tue May 14, 2013 4:09 pm

The point he was making, half-finished as it was, was that the 'new atheists' were being especially mean to Islam and always categorizing it as uniquely threatening. And that's it, like all his work is done, like all he has to do is point out that this is maybe a little racist and maybe-definitely a little first-world prejudiced. He just stops there like that's enough, to make the claim, not stepping onto a phase 2 which might be a limning a context for modern Islamic violence that actually puts it in perspective and saps away some of the existential threat and makes you think Christoper Hitchens might have been hamming it up just a smidge for hitting the 'grand good vs evil fight of our time' button so fast and and repeatedly. Instead he basically asks, 'hey the next time you want to be upset by the worst behaviors in Islamic societies, frustrated by backwardness, or by religiously fueled violence, you check your privilege first and think about how many people around the world the US has harmed building its similarly extremist, similarly religious, brutal hegemony." The support of many Americans for Israeli has a vaguely Abrahamic thread, a religious one, and the muslim who shoots a young girl for going to school is being religious, so there you go, try and argue that's not a masterwork of an equivalency. So how dare you, just how dare you, try and pick on Islam without first accounting for the crimes of the empire.

The man is a fantastically non-serious boob and petitioning to get Bradley Manning more rec yard time is the only useful thing he's ever done.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Right. But the simple fact that he even thinks new atheists overwhelmingly target Islam in an unfair way is outright false. His favorite target seems to be Sam Harris, who has only really recently ramped up his vocalizations of Islamic criticism. He wrote an entire goddamn book on Christianity, and he's not done so for Islam, so I'm pretty sure that puts them on fairly. That's not even to address the self-fulfilling prophecy of publicly calling someone bigoted or Islamophobic, thus forcing them to respond and make their points in a perhaps less ambiguous and more generous manner, then complaining that they focus too much in Islam. Atheists have been criticizing Christianity publicly in the media since it began, but Islam remains untouchable. Harris posits a brilliant theoretical scenario when he speaks of The Book of Mormon. That church responded by advertising in the pamphlets for the play. Does anyone think a similar play would get made about Islam, even in the most liberal and freedom-loving nations on the planet? And if it did somehow manage to get greenlit and staged publicly, does anyone believe the fallout would be anything short of at least a handful of murders and millions of protesters demanding the death of the creators and even more stringent anti-blasphemy laws?

The point I always try to make when having this debate about Islam is that it is a unique threat right now. You don't have to ignore US imperialism or the Crusades to be able to criticize the behavior of other people, religions and societies. This is a point Muslim apologists refuse to acknowledge. Do I think we, as a nation, have the moral high ground against countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia? You bet your ass I do. This does not mean I'm tacitly excusing the horrendous shit we've done, and some of the terrible shit we continue to do. But this isn't a historical pissing contest on who murdered more people or who invaded more countries. It's a conversation about now, and I, as an individual, do not bear the responsibilities of my country's secret wars and other bullshit. Muslims, however, do bear the responsibility of the religious extremism they propagate. If you wish to impose Sharia law on an entire nation, then you deserve criticism. If you think people should be killed for leaving Islam, then you deserve every bit of insult and critique you receive. If you think women shouldn't have a choice when wearing the veil, or that they should always obey their husbands, then the same applies. Poll after poll reveals that extremist ideology is not something only a few Muslims adhere to. Granted, most oppose suicide bombing, but as much as a third of Afghans think it's justified, and almost as many in Lebanon and Palestine. Will some of this extremism settle a bit when their countries are more stable? Certainly. But let's not pretend the US or Israel are the sole perpetrators of destruction in the region.

| letterboxd

Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 pm

:shock:

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 am

hey guys i like freedom what say you?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:13 am

I could give up a little freedom.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:13 am
Profile WWW

One for my old friend Notes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/world ... .html?_r=0

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:18 am
Profile WWW

Merry Christmas.

Last.fm

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:01 am

:D

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:05 am
Profile WWW

like I was saying before, if any of y'all have comments about the FCC's actions on net neutrality, give your congresspeople a call (eh, it's a start).

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:40 pm

In more positive news, season 12 of MST3K is confirmed.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next