It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 pm



Reply to topic  [ 2071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next
 A Corrierino Awareness Thread 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Yeah. That really wasn't worth the effort for just a "you infinity" reply.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Hey, does anyone want to feel more depressed about our current world?


Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Eh, that's headline is a bit click-baity. The survey, which could stand to be more transparent in how questions were framed, seems to indicate that, when given a range of possible answers, 31% of respondents picked the incorrect choice. From what I can tell, the question wasn't "Do you believe the official tally that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust? Y/N." Yes, a stunning number of people are dumb, and the survey attributes this to "ignorance," but I think that headline jumps to a suggestion of malicious Holocaust denial that isn't warranted.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Janson wrote:
That the left is attacking Trump from the right, right? The point that you're still unable to make?


I can post tweets giving examples of comments,

Image
Image

but you will quibble that they're not really left or not really typical or not literally calling for WWW III, etc.

I can cite sources, offering a general summary of the action showing how Syria has been on the menu for the establishment since the CIA attempted a coup in 1957, since Gulf War 2 when it was on a list of 7 nations to knock over (see Wesley Clarke in the Democracy Now video from 2007), since the Democrats became hawkish in 2016, since Democrats cheered Trumps missile attack in 2017, and how today's "consensus" is pushing for war,

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2016 ... -war-party

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/ ... wks-237024

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ss/522312/

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-g ... -in-syria/

but you won't like the sources, and mitigate, and equivocate, and place the blame back onto conservatives (which seems to be what matters to you most). And we might even be able to put blame on conservatives for pushing Democrats to push Trump (stay with me, because I know that whole cause-effect thing is an all or nothing game for you).

https://www.mintpressnews.com/neocons-l ... ar/230549/

but all of this will be moot once the war starts.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
I can cite sources, offering a general summary of the action showing how Syria has been on the menu for the establishment since the CIA attempted a coup in 1957, since Gulf War 2 when it was on a list of 7 nations to knock over (see Wesley Clarke in the Democracy Now video from 2007), since the Democrats became hawkish in 2016, since Democrats cheered Trumps missile attack in 2017, and how today's "consensus" is pushing for war,

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2016 ... -war-party

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/ ... wks-237024

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ss/522312/

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-g ... -in-syria/

but you won't like the sources, and mitigate, and equivocate, and place the blame back onto conservatives (which seems to be what matters to you most).

I have to admit. I don't like some of these sources.

I'm going to toss the Robert Parry piece out immediately because it doesn't even serve your argument very well. It is a pretty standard rundown of what we're already familiar with regarding Hillary Clinton's hawkishness, peppered perversely with inane inaccuracies and bias (Parry really believes in the integrity of the Crimean 96% vote? K.), but I'll give him some points for showing some sympathy for Obama's reluctance.

The Nation actually supports my contention, that the influence of John Bolton is far more of a threat for future Trump aggression than any pressure he may be entertaining from his left. And it isn't difficult to note that none of the examples here of the Left, or at least Democrats, sound anywhere nearly as provocative and hostile as any single Bolton quote. Unfortunately, Mate is still in such pathological denial of Russiagate (he wrote this yesterday!) that he still feels the need to take an intermission to showcase his skepticism. At this point, anyone who feels that there's no compelling evidence to at least justify an investigation is too fucking cracked to take very seriously, and within a narrative (like Patrick Lawrence's) which posits Putin as the perennial victim of Western aggression while failing to acknowledge his own provocations, it looks all the more stoogish. (For ex., complaining about a US ship in the Black Sea, while ignoring Russian subs spotted stalking the shores of Sweden and Britain, or even Connecticut.)

The more interesting piece is from The Atlantic because it breaks down what kind of "confrontation" we're talking about. Elizabeth Warren's saying the "Syrian regime must be held accountable", for example. This is not an example of jingoism nor a call to war. Mate at The Nation would make these conflations, lumping the sanctions and diplomatic expulsions into a more general "aggression" (and always ignoring the aggression being punished by these things). Or Pelosi's "The killing will not stop without a comprehensive political solution to end the violence." Not a military solution.

But, more aligned with the coverage and commentary that I've seen regarding the most recent attack, the issue seems to be less of the left trying to push Trump to be more militant or aggressive and more about them trying to push Trump to have, as Steny Hoyer says, "a clear and coherent strategy". It's less about missile strikes and more about longer term objectives. This is consistent among those on the left (like d'Ancona) that would be among those who do favor some kind of intervention to address Assad's abuses. It's not whether or not we strike (which, again, I don't see anyone thinking a direct assault on Russia a good idea) but in what way. What are the political and economic options?

I don't think there's any mystery for why most of those liberals who are most anti-Assad pine for 2013. Whether or not Obama made the right decision then aside, those conditions no longer apply today due to Russia's greater involvement. I don't think you can easily transpose the support from 2013 to today, not because we have a different "team" in office, but because the stakes have been redrawn. I don't find it convincing to then use whatever liberal support existed in 2013 for intervention as evidence that liberals are pressuring Trump into taking this action today.

And why would they need to when you have John Bolton.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:33 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
Eh, that's headline is a bit click-baity. The survey, which could stand to be more transparent in how questions were framed, seems to indicate that, when given a range of possible answers, 31% of respondents picked the incorrect choice. From what I can tell, the question wasn't "Do you believe the official tally that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust? Y/N." Yes, a stunning number of people are dumb, and the survey attributes this to "ignorance," but I think that headline jumps to a suggestion of malicious Holocaust denial that isn't warranted.

I saw several different articles on this study in different places and could have chosen one with a better headline. It says 96% "believed the Holocaust happened". No, what's depressing to me is the sheer ignorance. 66% of millennials don't know Auschwitz. 22% of millennials "haven't heard or are not sure if they have heard of the Holocaust". (Not sure!?!?) And, I guess relatively less surprising, 11% say that it's "acceptable" to hold neo-Nazi views. We're maybe a decade away before Chaplin is leader of the Third Reich.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

it's not really news to me either that a good portion of The Liberal Establishment and Democrat voters are open to getting the country involved in foreign conflict (setting aside those who are reflexively anti-Whatever Trump Does for the sake of partisanship). I wouldn't put much responsibility on them for the actions of the Trump administration unless they are working in the government though.

ideally this would all make Trump more sympathetic to the plight of refugees but The Threatening Foreigner is probably still too useful for him.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

and, uh, I kinda want to know if this hooker tape is real only so we can move on 'cause I don't think Trump's fetishes are a real issue. although if it is real, that means Trump might be susceptible to blackmail and that would be a real issue, right?

some of this stuff is just so goddamn tawdry. I mean, have any of you seen how unstable the Gulf Stream is? now that is a problem.


Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
and, uh, I kinda want to know if this hooker tape is real only so we can move on 'cause I don't think Trump's fetishes are a real issue. although if it is real, that means Trump might be susceptible to blackmail and that would be a real issue, right?

some of this stuff is just so goddamn tawdry. I mean, have any of you seen how unstable the Gulf Stream is? now that is a problem.

I agree. I'm not sure what to think about this Comey book yet, but most of the coverage has been focused on his opinion of the pee tape. I also feel near total apathy over the new illegitimate child claims. Ordinarily, sure, tasty pol scoop, but we're pretty far past this bar at this point. Would anyone really care if Trump's illegitimate child showed up tomorrow? (Unless its black, because tragic irony is not yet dead.)

Although Steele also mentioned a number of sex parties in St. Petersburg that Trump allegedly participated in, and requiring a number of bribes to silence witnesses, this simply isn't very effective kompromat because if evidence of it is released, I doubt that anyone inclined to vote for Trump already would have the slightest care.

But this Michael Cohen story however. I mean, the porn stars aside. Folks, we may have phone recordings, and that could go in any number of directions.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I agree. I'm not sure what to think about this Comey book yet, but most of the coverage has been focused on his opinion of the pee tape. I also feel near total apathy over the new illegitimate child claims. Ordinarily, sure, tasty pol scoop, but we're pretty far past this bar at this point. Would anyone really care if Trump's illegitimate child showed up tomorrow? (Unless its black, because tragic irony is not yet dead.).


I couldn't give a toss about the pee tape story either, outside of the possibility of it compromising him. Sexual scandals are so incredibly irrelevant in the vast majority of situations to begin with, but in this particular story, I really would rather the media focus their attention towards the seriously more concerning matters, of which there are already many. But, that said, I would really love to know how his evangelical base would cope with a hypothetical scenario where some of this hush money went to cover up abortions that he pressured for. Would they dare give him a pass for this as well? I honestly don't know (even though the answer is 'of course they would')


Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:13 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
Would they dare give him a pass for this as well? I honestly don't know (even though the answer is 'of course they would')


Crumbsroom, I don't know what's in Donald Trump's heart.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:12 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
But, that said, I would really love to know how his evangelical base would cope with a hypothetical scenario where some of this hush money went to cover up abortions that he pressured for. Would they dare give him a pass for this as well? I honestly don't know (even though the answer is 'of course they would')

Well, we could consider as an example the evangelical and pro-life Tea Party Congressman from Tennessee, Scott DesJarlais, a married physician who not only impregnated multiple patients but was recorded over the phone encouraging them to have abortions.

He won reelection in 2016 by 30 points.

I think "of course they would" is the answer you were looking for.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

uh oh

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/13/politics/trump-us-syria/index.html


Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

So far, my flashbacks are a lot more "Clinton vs. Iraq 1998" than "Bush vs. Iraq 2003." Except I'd be a lot happier if the impeachment proceedings were under way.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Yeah, this is a sequel to his low-energy missile attack on Syria last year and, like BL says, very likely an effort to wag dogs.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

DaMU wrote:
Yeah, this is a sequel to his low-energy missile attack on Syria last year and, like BL says, very likely an effort to wag dogs.
There are two things I know to be true. There's no difference between good flan and bad flan, and there is no war.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
that is concerning.... you'd think there would be an investigation before we do any bombing.

although, if he's announcing the stuff ahead of time does that make it less likely that it will actually happen?


Oxnard you numpty


Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Setting Trump aside (as it seems that Mattis has nixed further military action in Syria), I caught a small distressing detail from Zuckerberg's testimony.

WaPo wrote:
For the record, Facebook’s data policy says the company collects information about its users’ devices, such as “the operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers.”


Wait, what? Does Facebook collect information on the names and types of files and software on whichever device a person logs in from? How fucking deep does this go?


Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

It looks like the scumbag Clinton strategist Mark Penn, best known perhaps for circulating the picture of Obama in traditional Kenyan garb (for his half-brother's wedding) as a way to question his possible "Muslim heritage", is now fully on board the deep state Russia-who? conspiracy theorists. Maybe Dick Morris could weigh in, if his toes don't slip on the way to the phone.


Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I hope to gaddamn Sanhaim that they find Michael Cohen in Prague. That's so game over. It would almost be worth having to think about Sean Hannity sticky with piss just to find out.

I'm loving this courtroom shenanigans. "We feel the defense should be able to choose which evidence the prosecuter sees." "We can't remember exactly every name of every client, all three of them." "Seriously, can you take us at our word that our clients don't want to be named?" "You know he's the president's lawyer, right? Doesn't that count for something?"

Going to jail.


Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Pittsburgh has ordered its police officers to report to duty tomorrow in riot gear in anticipation of protests from Trump firing Mueller.

It's always comforting to learn of developments in this fashion.


Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vwKk4pADCw


Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I really hope that's a clip of Jimmy Dore explaining how the Russian sanctions are a form of genocide.

#Lavrovlaffoff


Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I really hope that's a clip of Jimmy Dore explaining how the Russian sanctions are a form of genocide.

#Lavrovlaffoff


No, that's Professor Jeffrey Sachs explaining how Obama started the civil war which has claimed hundreds of thousands of lives, how Trump had the right instinct to get out, and how the media establishment steered him in the opposite direction.


Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
No, that's Professor Jeffrey Sachs explaining how Obama started the civil war

So more bullshit then.

Clearly "Obama" didn't start the civil war, and was reluctant to get involved. Citing his administration (Hillary) may be more valid in terms of inflaming the ongoing war, which even the previous Robert Parry article you posted pointed out. This same centrist news media that you claim is pushing Trump towards war was also pushing Obama into war, and were loudly petulent when he would not engage. So either Obama failed in his "red line" posturing or...he created IS. America's support for the Free Syrian Army is clearly a far more conflagratory influence than Assad's support from Russia and Iran. If only the Free Syrian Army had crumbled immediately into Islamist splinters then I'm sure that Assad's war crimes could have been easily halved by now.

By the way, how are Trump's instincts on Syrian refugees?


Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Janson's is the closer characterization of how this panned out. The notion that the US started the civil war doesn't hold water, particularly not when you're basing this on Operation Timber Sycamore which only really took effect in 2013, well after the war started. It was also much weaker than many of the proposals put forward to Obama, including more robust CIA plans to facilitate the overthrow of Assad, which he ultimately rejected. The war proper started when initially peaceful protests against Assad were violently repressed by his regime. This escalated to mutual violence, officers from Assad's own army defected to the rebels and a loose coalition of militias formed an army to overthrow the government. YARN seems to think he has to pass off Assad's government as legitimate and the rebels as basically either a US invention or Islamic radicals in order to justify arguments against intervention. Clearly this isn't the case. The situation is much more complicated than that, and intervention is bad news even if Assad is a monster, and -- let's not fucking kid ourselves -- he is.


Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Ergill wrote:
Janson's is the closer characterization of how this panned out. The notion that the US started the civil war doesn't hold water, particularly not when you're basing this on Operation Timber Sycamore which only really took effect in 2013, well after the war started.

Right. The idea that the entire Arab Spring was some kind of CIA-funded initiative to overthrow autocracies in the region is a theory that has been frequently touted by Putin-friendly media, which is also an extension of the theories that Hillary was behind the 2011 protests in Russia or that the CIA was behind the 2009 Green Revolution in Iran. Or even in Ukraine, where Putin is also convinced that the US was behind both the 2004 and 2014 mass actions. It's only slightly more plausible than Obama creating the Islamic State (despite provoking his only military action taken in Syria).

I think Timber Sycamore started earlier than 2013, and was a likely cause for the Benghazi attack where it seems that Libyan rocket launchers (at least) were being smuggled to Syrian rebels. However, I also think it's interesting how infrequently David Petraeus' name gets mentioned throughout all of this. Still, in addition to being a disaster, the Libyan intervention does provide for the kind of case-in-point that allows these conspiracies to fuel. (But it would also ignore that Qaddafi, like Assad, had essentially declared war on his own people before the US was involved.)

Blaming Obama is also more helpful than reporting on Russia's current rigging of the crime scene in Douma.


Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Janson is like one of those paranoid conspiracy theorists. Probably thinks the president and Putin are reptilians.


Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

ski petrol wrote:
Janson is like one of those paranoid conspiracy theorists. Probably thinks the president and Putin are reptilians.


if they are ectotherms that could explain why they are so unconcerned with global warming. you might be onto something!


Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I've sometimes wondered if lovesexy was posting to me even though he knows I have him on 'ignore', but then usually thought 'Nah'. He's probably not that pathetic.


Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I'm sick of these Dems though. Fools and morons. Can't even wait for the force of Mueller's report (which is now being reported to be issued by this summer) to launch a huge federal lawsuit ahead of their own horses. They should be out trying to find candidates and raising money for them, not paying for lawyers and multi-million dollar lawsuits. These clumsy, thirsty bitches. It's like they can't help themselves from losing, even when the momentum of current events is behind them.


Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I'm sick of these Dems though. Fools and morons. Can't even wait for the force of Mueller's report (which is now being reported to be issued by this summer) to launch a huge federal lawsuit ahead of their own horses. They should be out trying to find candidates and raising money for them, not paying for lawyers and multi-million dollar lawsuits. These clumsy, thirsty bitches. It's like they can't help themselves from losing, even when the momentum of current events is behind them.


This was my reaction as well. What a complete bunch of turds they are.


Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:26 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I'm sick of these Dems though. Fools and morons. Can't even wait for the force of Mueller's report (which is now being reported to be issued by this summer) to launch a huge federal lawsuit ahead of their own horses. They should be out trying to find candidates and raising money for them, not paying for lawyers and multi-million dollar lawsuits. These clumsy, thirsty bitches. It's like they can't help themselves from losing, even when the momentum of current events is behind them.


Right? It's such a waste of time and so blind to the moment. Focus on appealing to people. Trump's doing enough of a hit job on the Republican brand all his own.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I'll just chime in to say, yeah not a good look.

is this just a stunt to get some of the info out into the open? i.e. the "discovery" process. maybe that would be the only hope of this not backfiring (unless it should, just to teach them a lesson).


Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

this might not be worth posting but Shania Twain had mentioned in an interview that she would have voted for Trump because

Quote:
"...even though he was offensive, he seemed honest. Do you want straight or polite? Not that you shouldn’t be able to have both. If I were voting, I just don’t want bullshit. I would have voted for a feeling that it was transparent. And politics has a reputation of not being that, right?”


I don't post this because I find one celebrity's political opinion to be news (I don't mean to dunk on Shania Twain either). only that I've heard these sentiments repeatedly from other Trump supporters (i.e. Trump's "style"). and I find it somewhat disorienting because it's more or less the same language I've heard from a lot of Bernie Sanders supporters and yet there are vast, vast differences between the two men. and I get it, Hillary was and is not the most consistent or truthful or transparent of politicians and neither was Obama and that is frustrating as hell. but if that were my biggest factor in deciding the next president why that would lead me to see Trump as the antidote I don't know (maybe if I were an accelerationist).


Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
this might not be worth posting but Shania Twain had mentioned in an interview that she would have voted for Trump because



I don't post this because I find one celebrity's political opinion to be news (I don't mean to dunk on Shania Twain either). only that I've heard these sentiments repeatedly from other Trump supporters (i.e. Trump's "style"). and I find it somewhat disorienting because it's more or less the same language I've heard from a lot of Bernie Sanders supporters and yet there are vast, vast differences between the two men. and I get it, Hillary was and is not the most consistent or truthful or transparent of politicians and neither was Obama and that is frustrating as hell. but if that were my biggest factor in deciding the next president why that would lead me to see Trump as the antidote I don't know (maybe if I were an accelerationist).
I think part of it has to do with how politicians code their language, particularly in the era of televised debates. Much of the election cycle now consists of candidates getting up in front of cameras and trying to score sound bites by trading what amount to focus-grouped insults that have some bite but aren't crude or vicious enough to disqualify said candidate from what is essentially a diplomatic office. Everyone is trying to score their "You're no Jack Kennedy" or "horses and bayonets" moment. The result is a stilted, bizarrely theatrical spectacle in which one contender thought the phrase "chaos candidate" would hashtag and another thought "basket of deplorables" sounded like something that would come out of a normal human being's mouth.

I think the perception of Trump's speech as "authentic" is a tacit rejection of this entire artifice. I think that to many people, Trump's disorganized word salads, despite all their many contradictions, are at least evidence that these are his genuine, disorganized thoughts and not some market-researched, memorized copy. For people who are losing their jobs to robots, the last thing they want to elect is an automaton. And if Trump thinks you're a son of a bitch, a liar or crooked, he will say just that in common vernacular, not the tortured political rhetoric we've grown accustomed to (or repulsed by). If he's desperate enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump blurts out "Go fuck yourself" in the middle of a 2020 debate. If he does, I expect his polls will go up. He has no compunction toward concealing how crude and vicious he is, and the result is something people read as "straightforward" because the language of politics has become such a distorted fun house mirror.

If all this sounds vaguely impressionistic, not rooted in the facts or substance or truthfulness of what Trump says, well that's entirely correct. But I think most voters vote on their impression of the person they've seen on TV rather than those other troublesome things that take some thought or research or memory or discernment to get a handle on. You catch a liar in his contradictions, but that requires paying attention long enough to notice them.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
If all this sounds vaguely impressionistic, not rooted in the facts or substance or truthfulness of what Trump says, well that's entirely correct. But I think most voters vote on their impression of the person they've seen on TV rather than those other troublesome things that take some thought or research or memory or discernment to get a handle on. You catch a liar in his contradictions, but that requires paying attention long enough to notice them.
Trump is straight up a drug, like, we're in the eye of a media storm and as you mention with paying attention long enough... well, I'm hooked! Where are the pee tapes, what's Stormy Weathers going to say, who is going to get fired next, collusion, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, China, The Wall, etc. It's just a barrage of trainwrecks and you can't help but to gaze intently at the flame. This is why the apologist sentiments don't surprise me because, yeah, you think about something long enough and it all begins to blur into a grey fog. Or, stare at the sun long enough... that's totally a thing he did

I think it's difficult not to get drawn into the superfluous stuff in favor of the important news. Like, having a media filter is more important now than ever because one second buddy has the pee tapes and the next Saudi Arabia is getting bombed, like, what's even the order of operations on all of this math?


Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I've also been thinking a lot about the civil rights lawyer who set himself on fire to protest global warming. I still struggle with wanting to give up in the face this problem and I can't blame him for losing hope.

I should probably clarify that when I say "wanting to give up" I don't necessarily mean suicide. at least not all the time. I don't mean to scare anyone.


Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

The naked Nashville Waffle House shooter apparently has a history of strange things, from wearing pink nighties to driving cars into swimming pools, and appears to have been legally barred from possessing firearms. But what could be at the heart of this deeply troubled individual? From news sources: "He told the officer that it all started after he began writing to Taylor Swift".

The Swiftika grows more insidious every moment....


Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

In all seriousness, his incel status strikes an eerie parallel with the Isla Vista shooter, although that's two examples across four years, so it's not exactly proof positive of a trend.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

DaMU wrote:
In all seriousness, his incel status strikes an eerie parallel with the Isla Vista shooter, although that's two examples across four years, so it's not exactly proof positive of a trend.

He seems to have sexual issues that well exceed incel status. I'm sure that's a factor, but when he drove the car into the public swimming pool (wearing a pink nightie), he then yelled at the lifeguards that he was a man, exposing his genitals to prove the point.

It's not a profitable thing to wager on the sick, but my money's on schiz-noia as the primary underlying basis, with whatever sexual issues extending out of that. Also, possible race factors, as all of his victims, killed and wounded, happened to be of color.

All that aside, it's clear that there's no reason in hell that this guy should have been able to purchase legal firearms, and his weapons, at the moment, appear to have been gifted to him by his father (which for some reason would then be legal?).


Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
He has no compunction toward concealing how crude and vicious he is, and the result is something people read as "straightforward" because the language of politics has become such a distorted fun house mirror.

I would also add, in comparison to Bernie Sanders, that "crude and vicious", rather than "honest" or "authentic", is exactly what his voters wanted. And I am not one who assumes this viciousness on Trump's part had no calculation behind it. It is a political language, one of demagoguery, gaslighting and scapegoating. Classic politics in a way.

I was watching Jordon Peterson on Bill Maher's show, in the Overtime segment I think, where he says something that's become typical in Trump apologists, muttering about "respecting fellow citizens" and the left's use of identity politics. The reason why this is bullshit is because Trump obviously played up identity politics (white grievance) of his own, and of a decisively more divisive nature, and did so by specifically disrespecting very specific sets of citizens. Regardless of this, liberals are expected to feel guilty over their condescending conceit that racists tend to be garbage people, and racists who want a refreshingly honest authoritarian to be fearlessly racist and not even give a fuck happen to be somewhat of a deplorable nature.

I'm just telling it like it is.


Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

And it looks like Hillary Clinton tried to cancel an interview with Ronan Farrow, for his new book about the State Department, because her people had heard that he was working on "something big" about Harvey Weinstein.


Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

by the way, I know I could have brought my query to any of the Trump supporters I know in real life. but maybe I've been too privately disappointed to see some of their hostilities and cynicism revealed over the last few years to subject myself. and I don't know how I would broach the subject one-to-one without making them feel under siege. I hope the next few years under Trump work out for them.


Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

It didn't get as much coverage as a lot of things (Diamonds & Silk, Pruitt making up death threats, Trump's meltdown on Fox & Friends), but the big story on the Hill today was a closed door interview with Christopher Wylie from Cambridge Analytica. So far, what's been leaked from his testimony is that Bannon had ordered him to research methods of using Facebook data for voter suppression, and providing "new information" regarding the contract between CA and sanctioned Russian oil company Lukoil to brief the latter on "research into American voters".

But seriously, man, that was a classic Trump meltdown. Between fucking over Cohen's lawyers (the prosecution quoted his F&F interview in court) and threatening to "get more involved" at the Justice Department, he also bragged about his zen-jedi mental power of keeping the fake news and haters out of his mind so he can keep focused on "the ball". This boast came during an interview where he spent at least half of the time deriding CNN, the Dem/Deep State Whitch Hunt, and complaining that MSNBC should be treating him better because The Apprentice was a hit.


Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Poor Michelle Wolf. I actually thought her WHCD act was the best stuff she's done, definitely much better than that other Daily Show guy from last year that we've already forgotten. I guess the Washington press still has an inexplicable allergy to admitting the fact that the Trump administration happens to lie a lot and that it might even be a large part of the media's responsibility to point out such facts. And they do sometimes, of course, but for many of the more prominent, let's say 'celebrity-minded' members of the press, this truth is still something to be assuaged rather than embraced. "Lie-shaming" seems to be about the best resort people like Sarah Sanders can muster to defend themselves. As if she were so innocent as to be unaware of the currency of her office.

I was more offended that someone invited Kathy Griffin.

But the best evidence of the normalization of the stubborn lie just might be Joy-Ann Reid's recent predicament. Looks like she said some unsavory things about gay people a decade ago. Not to defend her, but I didn't see much there as "hateful" exactly, more like uninformed and stereotypical. I'm not aware of Reid's religious leanings, but it didn't seem out of line with some of the more conservative sentiments in the black church on the issue. Anyway, we shouldn't shame those who have evolved on the issue (like Barry and Hillary), and Joy-Ann should have just left it at that. Instead, she invents a hacking conspiracy which only exposes her own very shallow understanding of how the internet works (which is no surprise for those who had to suffer through her excoriation of Edward Snowden or her blissfully ignorant defenses of Clinton's email server). In a way, it seems just even. But most relevantly to Trump and the post-truth era in which he will remain the mascot, we're left with the dizzying reasoning from Reid: "I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things." Because like George Costanza said, words to which Trump has lived by for decades, "it's not a lie as long as you believe it". Genuinely.


Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:21 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I think Michelle Wolf's career will be just fine in the long run.


Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:55 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I think Michelle Wolf's career will be just fine in the long run.

I'm more worried about the future of journalism, tbh. The biggest takeaway from me over the whole thing is the complicity, whether it's Wolf pointing out the obvious Moonves mantra ("Trump may not be good for America but he's good for us!") or the equally obvious hypocrisy of criticizing Wolf's invective which happens to be far less harsh than Trump's own (and by extension that of his various spokespeople). The crucial difference being that one is a comedian and the other is POTUS, but again it only spells out that the worst thing you can be in Washington is powerless. The powerless are always fair game. That's why no one is tweeting about her Flint line.

Mika Brzezinski making an equivalence between the joke about Sanders' eyeshadow being made of the ashes of facts with Trump's comments about her own appearance after having a chin-tuck. That's not only stupid but exposes how deeply people will reflexively defend power. After all, I doubt Mika has ever rubbed shoulders with Michelle Wolf at Mar-a-Lago, or any other cocktail affair. I do feel that in many ways, even among his more vocal detractors, that much of the more mainstream media is considering this Trump "episode" (I've also seen it described as a "season") to be nothing more harmful than a lucrative bit of drama. Wolf's best bit was in calling them out: "CNN loves breaking news, and you did it! You broke the news."


Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

yeah, I hear ya. maybe I'm just too cynical to be surprised by the reaction.


Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:11 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Poor Joy Reid getting hacked.


Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jinnistan, ThatDarnMKS and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.