It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:29 am



Reply to topic  [ 1725 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 A Corrierino Awareness Thread 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Mitt Romney was quoted in an interview as saying, "[Trump's] first year is very similar to things I’d have done my first year. The things he’s actually done have been better than I expected. If he says something which I believe is racist or divisive and serious, then I’ll point out that I disagree with that. But I’m an honest enough person that if he does something right — and by the way, he’s done a number of things right — I’ll be fully supportive of those things. I will support the president’s agenda when it’s good for Utah, and good for the country, and so far that’s been the case."

and maybe that's a good reminder that a considerable amount of the opposition to Trump's presidency has to do with the aesthetic and not the actual policies. apologies if this is not news.


Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

"I will praise our party's useful idiot — but only when he's useful."

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Wed May 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
and maybe that's a good reminder that a considerable amount of the opposition to Trump's presidency has to do with the aesthetic and not the actual policies. apologies if this is not news.


I don't know. It seems a little too kind to place incompetency, corruption, the undoing of global alliances, abuse of power, undermining democratic institutions and destroying of America's standing in the world under the umbrella of 'aesthetics'. But as long as Romney is happy with his standing in Utah, I guess we can overlook all of that.


Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

you're not wrong.... I think I reflexively try to get in front of the people who dismiss that stuff as secondary to the policy and legislation. and who chastise the opposition as getting hung up over that stuff because "at least he's helping the American people" or whatever.


Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
you're not wrong.... I think I reflexively try to get in front of the people who dismiss that stuff as secondary to the policy and legislation. and who chastise the opposition as getting hung up over that stuff because "at least he's helping the American people" or whatever.


It is important to be honest about criticisms regarding Trump. No one should be just reflexively going red faced over everything he does simply because he is such a cunt it is really easy to hate everything he does. I hate even the notion of him sitting down and eating breakfast in order to stay alive, but I am aware to get hyperbolically critical over his every action only will diminish all of the (so so many) legitimate criticisms that are already out there. When he does something one approves of, I've got not issue with a Romney pointing at these specific things and saying they are okay with that specific thing. I think I've even been okay with a few myself. But for Romney to couch this comment in the attitude that Trump isn't clearly a complete disaster of a president, and isn't a despicable human being, and not be concerned that he very likely only going to get worse as time goes on, is baldly disingenuous. The notion that somehow Romney is just being honorable by giving the president his proper respect because of what is probably no more than a handful of things Trump has done that he can even stomach, just really infuriates me. For an even cognizant human being (which Romney definitely is) to classify this presidency as anything but the obvious shitpile it is, and not start to even more vociferously be calling it out as such, is disgraceful and as transparently hollow as the man saying these words. Mitt Romney is a total hack. It is hilarious that anyone legitimately ever thought he was anything but.


Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
"If he says something which I believe is racist or divisive and serious, then I’ll point out that I disagree with that."

Oh wow. Thanks, Reek. Stellar fucking show of integrity, this.


Thu May 03, 2018 5:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
and maybe that's a good reminder that a considerable amount of the opposition to Trump's presidency has to do with the aesthetic and not the actual policies. apologies if this is not news.

The "actual policies", especially those most informed by racism, likely aren't of much concern to Romney (because, you know, Utah), but that doesn't mean that the aggregate effect of Trump's environmental, criminal, welfare and education policies on the less fortunate is worth opposition well beyond mere aesthetics. The fact that Romney can glibly dismiss "racism" without even considering how this plays into "what's good for America" says enough about this starchy putz.


Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Rudy had quite the night tonight.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Thu May 03, 2018 1:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

DaMU wrote:
Rudy had quite the night tonight.

Still cleaning up today as well.

Setting the Stormy business aside, I think that the more jaw-dropping admission from Giuliani was adding a new excuse for why Trump fired Comey, essentially on the basis of "I fired the FBI director because he wouldn't say what I wanted him to". I haven't seen any indication that an FBI director would be under any obligation to do such a thing, and although Rudy also claimed that Trump was "entitled" to this because Comey had said the same thing for Hillary, this fails to consider how Comey refused to soften his language to call the email server investigation a "matter" ("We're not the Federal Bureau of Matters") and only publicly exonerated Hillary after concluding the investigation, a conclusion that didn't appear to be forthcoming in May 2017 for Russiagate. Again, this only appears to fuel the fire of an eventual obstruction case, which is very odd for a defendant's lawyer to do.

Somewhat related, as far as scumbag shysters on FOX News are concerned, the leading legal voice proclaiming that a president cannot actually obstruct justice as a matter of course, Alan Dershowitz, has decided to take his talents to the defense of Harvey Weinstein, who despite spawning an era and a movement of change may very well walk away legally unscathed due to well-lubricated friendships with various VIPs (Cy Vance being the most prominent). Anyway, it's a nother good look for Trump that the man held as the most legitimate legal voice for his innocence is such a character of integrity.


Fri May 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Give Rudy a break, he hasn't practiced law in forever and he may very well be a quite stupid man.

Don't give Dershowitz a break, because barf. All he's had on offer of late is a minor rebuke of Hannity.


Fri May 04, 2018 12:43 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Ergill wrote:
Don't give Dershowitz a break, because barf. All he's had on offer of late is a minor rebuke of Hannity.

I like how he still refers to himself as a "liberal Democrat" though.


Fri May 04, 2018 12:44 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I like how he still refers to himself as a "liberal Democrat" though.

We been Dersh'd.


Fri May 04, 2018 1:09 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Mitt Romney, courting even more controversy:

Quote:
“My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat,” he told a gathering of supporters as they joined him recently for a casual dinner organized by his campaign. “My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/mitt-romney-insurgent-and-insider

"Attention, poors: I have noticed you eat these cheap, highly processed tubes of meat product. I am here to tell you they are my favorite meat. These are the meats that are my favorite. My most favored meat. I know because I once went four days straight without sleep in December 2012 listing more than 600 varieties of meat in order of preference. Number one, as we have established, is hot dog. Hot dog is best meat. Like you, I am nourished by its nitrates and hog anuses. Next best is hamburger. Of what cut, it matters not. Grind it all for Romney. Number three: baloney. Not 'bologna,' as I'm not too keen on ethnic food. Number four: gray. I have seen many of you purchasing this gray meat from street carts operated by immigrants. I would like you to know that I, too, do this. Number five: panda. Many nights my 436 grandchildren and I gather around a table to dig into a batch of Ann's delicious, not-at-all endangered roast panda, as I'm sure many of you unwashed rubes have done as well. I sure would love to spend more time here listing meats with you, but I must now board this helicopter. Can you guess which blade has our family dog strapped to it? So long, suckers...I mean, cherished constituents!"

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Sat May 05, 2018 1:04 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I'm so happy that we have a core group of Congressmen who have gotten woke to the potential of FISA abuses in the existing surveillance laws. Maybe they'll have something to say about the three-fold increase in personal data collection by the NSA in 2017. Maybe.


Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I'm probably not going to miss Don McGahn, but I just wanted to share my deep respects for any grown man in 2018 still so hardcore about rocking the Alex P. Keaton cut.

Also, we're quickly losing virtually everybody who's been keeping Trump out of more blatant obstruction trouble. We're heading down a path of Trump having a kneeling Mueller declare his undying fealty on live television sometime soon.


Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Ergill wrote:
We been Dersh'd.

In a rather unexpected way, it seems. I'm not sure if Alan is aware of Black Cube or not, but the cross-currents between Trump and Harvey Weinstein continue to muddle.


Mon May 07, 2018 1:18 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I'm so happy that we have a core group of Congressmen who have gotten woke to the potential of FISA abuses in the existing surveillance laws. Maybe they'll have something to say about the three-fold increase in personal data collection by the NSA in 2017. Maybe.


You almost need him to do something so reckless that they pass a law while he is in office. Once you have a team-player back in the Oval Office people will assume that the crisis is past.


Mon May 07, 2018 3:36 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
You almost need him to do something so reckless that they pass a law while he is in office.

Should we be less concerned that Trump outsourced his spooky sheet-sniffing to an Israeli firm? Maybe we can outlaw all of these spooks?

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Once you have a team-player back in the Oval Office people will assume that the crisis is past.

Yeah. That's exactly what's happened. No feeling of imminent crisis in this administration at all. No capitalized tweets of various existential threats of coups and impeachment. I don't know if you noticed, but these "team players" for Trump have recently threatened to investigate, charge for contempt and impeach about a dozen FBI and DoJ officials for nothing more than not being on Trump's team. The crux of my above sarcasm was that their claims of FISA abuses involving Page and Papodopoulas turned out to be bunk. I guess crisis averted though.


Tue May 08, 2018 11:34 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
Yeah. That's exactly what's happened. No feeling of imminent crisis in this administration at all. No capitalized tweets of various existential threats of coups and impeachment. I don't know if you noticed, but these "team players" for Trump have recently threatened to investigate, charge for contempt and impeach about a dozen FBI and DoJ officials for nothing more than not being on Trump's team. The crux of my above sarcasm was that their claims of FISA abuses involving Page and Papodopoulas turned out to be bunk. I guess crisis averted though.


Janson, what the exactly do you think I said there? Whatever it is, I am pretty sure I didn't say it.


Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Just to throw in some outside perspective, Melvin: You were specifically referencing a scenario in which Pence takes over as president, right? Like, he's the congressional team player plucked directly from their ranks who has insulated himself from Trump-adjacent scandal, and that's the real nightmare scenario because he's an extreme right-wing true believer who could actually get shit done with the cooperation of his congressional colleagues. Correct?

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Tue May 08, 2018 12:05 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Janson, what the exactly do you think I said there? Whatever it is, I am pretty sure I didn't say it.

I'm disagreeing with the premise: "Once you have a team-player back in the Oval Office people will assume that the crisis is past." I can't see how this stands up according to either party. Trump is the team player in the Oval Office, but that hasn't kept his "team" from making a crisis out of deep state conspiracy theories. One of the reasons why it's asinine is because the team is in office, or as Doocey said "Sir, it's your Justice Department".

And as far the Dem team goes, if this were true than you wouldn't have seen a crisis under Obama following Snowden, or to a lesser degree Hillary's email server (it wasn't lost on people that she felt more entitled to our browsing histories than she felt the American people were entitled to her government communications).

I would have agreed that neither party seems particularly interested in surveillance reform at the moment, but I would also agree that the crisis will never really be past as long as it's useful to the short-term gains (ie San Bernadino iPhone bullshit, etc).


Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
Just to throw in some outside perspective, Melvin: You were specifically referencing a scenario in which Pence takes over as president, right? Like, he's the congressional team player plucked directly from their ranks who has insulated himself from Trump-adjacent scandal, and that's the real nightmare scenario because he's an extreme right-wing true believer who could actually get shit done with the cooperation of his congressional colleagues. Correct?


I was speaking of a different possibility entirely. Trump loses the next election and you get a team player in terms of the next administration gets elected. Now that the Trump era is over, we shrug and forget how out of control executive power is.


Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I'm disagreeing with the premise: "Once you have a team-player back in the Oval Office people will assume that the crisis is past." I can't see how this stands up according to either party. Trump is the team player in the Oval Office, but that hasn't kept his "team" from making a crisis out of deep state conspiracy theories.


I don't see Trump as a team player. He is disruptive to his team. He fires people around him. He has made the RNC uncomfortable ever since he was seriously in the lead to be the nominee (thus uncharacteristic attacks on Trump from within the party). He has not ingratiated himself to the permanent government, resulting in the CIA taunting him (We've been around since 1908!). He's a bull in a China shop.

Jinnistan wrote:
One of the reasons why it's asinine is because the team is in office, or as Doocey said "Sir, it's your Justice Department".


Yeah, you're stretching here.

Jinnistan wrote:
And as far the Dem team goes, if this were true


If what specifically were true? Did congressman get woke to the potential for FISA abuses under Obama? When is it that they became woke? Why?

Jinnistan wrote:
than you wouldn't have seen a crisis under Obama following Snowden, or to a lesser degree Hillary's email server (it wasn't lost on people that she felt more entitled to our browsing histories than she felt the American people were entitled to her government communications).


So we were woke then? Is that what you're saying?

Jinnistan wrote:
I would have agreed that neither party seems particularly interested in surveillance reform at the moment, but I would also agree that the crisis will never really be past as long as it's useful to the short-term gains (ie San Bernadino iPhone bullshit, etc).


Trump is the outlier that can get people to have a moment of clarity, but I have my doubts about how long the moment lasts.


Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
I don't see Trump as a team player. He is disruptive to his team. He fires people around him. He has made the RNC uncomfortable ever since he was seriously in the lead to be the nominee (thus uncharacteristic attacks on Trump from within the party). He has not ingratiated himself to the permanent government, resulting in the CIA taunting him (We've been around since 1908!). He's a bull in a China shop.

Shall we define what "team" we're talking about? Trump is currently being protected by the GOP in Congress. The House "Freedom Caucus" happens to be the more militant wing of this proteection. Isn't it funny how those few who have called Trump out (Flake, Corker) have had to basically step down in order to voice their concerns? The fact is that as long as Trump keeps his word on a few things - tax cuts, deregulation, arms sales - then they've been perfectly happy to excuse his more flagrant behavior.

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Yeah, you're stretching here.

I'm sorry that Trump doesn't understand the institutional role of the Justice Department or that he possibly was under the impression that it would protect him from his perjurious lack of ethics. But, again, the GOP has actively chosen to tolerate and defend these things by pretending that these charges are politically biased and not, you know, objectively documented facts.

Jinnistan wrote:
Did congressman get woke to the potential for FISA abuses under Obama? When is it that they became woke? Why?

The left sure was (again, depending on what we mean by "team"), and Obama's own Review Group determined that the NSA was ineffective at preventing terrorism, and Congress passed a prohibition of bulk data collection (but as long as Section 702 of FISA keeps getting reauthorized, this seems more cosmetic). The point being that it was certainly not excused by Obama's voters simply because Obama was in the White House when they learned about it.

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Trump is the outlier that can get people to have a moment of clarity

Lol. Did you say something about "stretching"?


Tue May 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Trump is the outlier that can get people to have a moment of clarity

Lol. Did you say something about "stretching"?[/quote]

I didn't say the moment would last, but I dare to dream.


Wed May 09, 2018 5:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
I didn't say the moment would last, but I dare to dream.

If Susan Sarandon's awake, I'll let her know.


Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Today's probably one of the most consequential days of this presidency.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

yerp

silver lining: http://thehill.com/policy/international/386757-rouhani-us-has-never-adhered-to-its-commitments


Wed May 09, 2018 12:00 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

DaMU wrote:
Today's probably one of the most consequential days of this presidency.


The Iran deal?


Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Watching that gross tits dead, uncomprehending eyes talk about he just made America safer, ducking any questions as to exactly how he has made anything better (not to mention that fact that it is now exponentially worse) just makes my blood boil.


Thu May 10, 2018 12:22 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

The Iran deal?


Coupled with the Cohen slush fund LLC, which looks a lot like a nexus of Trump's biggest conflicts of interest.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Thu May 10, 2018 12:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

DaMU wrote:

Coupled with the Cohen slush fund LLC, which looks a lot like a nexus of Trump's biggest conflicts of interest.

Essential Consulting could potentially be the next Committee to Re-Elect the President, if (likely, I think) we find out what other pay-offs were coming out of that fund. It could prove to be more incriminating than silencing porn stars. As it is, it's already egregious enough influence-peddling to make the Clintons blush.


Thu May 10, 2018 11:22 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

One thing about Schneiderman: the worst possible outcome would be that this happens to obscure the event when Cy Vance decides to quietly allow Harvey Weinstein to walk. It's coincidental, ain't it?, that this story broke days after Schneiderman announced a review of Vance's office to see why Weinstein hasn't been charged yet. Not to defend Schneiderman, if guilty, but it would be the more tragic irony if his four victims were to result in the loss of justice for Weinstein's 80.


Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
Essential Consulting could potentially be the next Committee to Re-Elect the President, if (likely, I think) we find out what other pay-offs were coming out of that fund. It could prove to be more incriminating than silencing porn stars. As it is, it's already egregious enough influence-peddling to make the Clintons blush.
I think the scariest thing here is the pre-emptive effort to explain this all away as perfectly legal. "You know, there's no real law against Party A's lawyer taking a payment from Party B who would benefit from Party A's favors so long as you can't prove Party A ordered that payment." I think we all recognize that as an absurd standard for proving corruption, but that's the one the Supreme Court accepted in determining basic criminality in McDonnell v. United States.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Thu May 10, 2018 11:31 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
I think the scariest thing here is the pre-emptive effort to explain this all away as perfectly legal.

Scarier still is the effectiveness of this spin, if recent polls prove to be accurate. People either don't care (my guess) or are too dumb to.


Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
Scarier still is the effectiveness of this spin, if recent polls prove to be accurate. People either don't care (my guess) or are too dumb to.
I don't think you grasp my point. It's not just popular ignorance that makes this a viable argument; there's a very recent precedent in Supreme Court rulings that gives Trump's case special validity that it wouldn't have had 10 years ago.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Thu May 10, 2018 11:39 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
I don't think you grasp my point. It's not just popular ignorance that makes this a viable argument; there's a very recent precedent in Supreme Court rulings that gives Trump's case special validity that it wouldn't have had 10 years ago.

I gotcha, but the polls are still the most depressing thing I've seen today.

Making payments to anyone else's lawyer should be suspect. Like lawyers need charity?


Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
Watching that gross tits dead, uncomprehending eyes talk about he just made America safer, ducking any questions as to exactly how he has made anything better (not to mention that fact that it is now exponentially worse) just makes my blood boil.


Well, I guess because that fuckface Stephen Harper approves, it must be a swell idea.


Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:

Well, I guess because that fuckface Stephen Harper approves, it must be a swell idea.
Has future Canadian Prime Minister Jordan Peterson weighed in yet?

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

BL wrote:
Has future Canadian Prime Minister Jordan Peterson weighed in yet?


I just threw up in my mouth.


Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:

I just threw up in my mouth.

Have you seen that recent clusterfuck at Kateland?


Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
Have you seen that recent clusterfuck at Kateland?


Share that tea.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
Have you seen that recent clusterfuck at Kateland?


Yeah. Pretty much the reason I try to keep out from those conversations from now until forever. For the record, I pretty much side with EA, but that doesn't mean I am completely blind to some of the criticisms coming his way. They are just mostly poorly articulated or unneccessarily reflexive though, and if I was a poster there, I'd probably be getting myself into trouble by my frustrations towards Zuben and Whic at this point. They quite obviously have the zeigeist on their side at this moment in time, after all. Much better to be a silent bystander.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

DaMU wrote:

Share that tea.

A thread about Jordon Peterson which amounted to 7 pages over 5 days (a remarkable feat considering the small size of the forum).

The clusterfuck doesn't really involve Peterson himself, as only a couple of people defended his views. It's devolved into a grocery list of pop grievances surrounding cultural appropriation. Currently Ergill is arguing with Zuben over whether or not Muslims consider Salman Rushdie as one of their own or not, or why this should have any bearing on whether he has a right to criticize that culture vs, an outsider.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
I'd probably be getting myself into trouble by my frustrations towards Zuben and Whic at this point.

I avoided their bait. I think that Zuben's tendency to "because you're stupid" retorts speaks for itself.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Lol I keep forgetting I'm a mod there

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm


Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

Jinnistan wrote:
I avoided their bait. I think that Zuben's tendency to "because you're stupid" retorts speaks for itself.


FTR I generally like Whic, I am just finding his moral absolutism in that thread to be a bit much. There are valid points being made, but these arguments on that side have just become pretty fucking lazy. Ironically, lazy in the way that most of Jordan Peterson's arguments are.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

While on this topic, does anyone know why Nim was ultimately exiled (or just left)? It's Trump right?


Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I've been only skimming through thday thread, but laughed reasonably hard at Zuben's Aunt Jemima jab.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm


Fri May 11, 2018 11:34 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

I'm not sure which other thread to put this, so since we're on about cultural appropriation I'll stick it here.

It's not surprising that Isle of Dogs would raise the issue, as it's a film made by an American white man that takes place in Japan and happens to be filled with stylistic and thematic homages to various aspects of Japanese culture. It felt respectfully done to me, but what do I know? So Vulture had a piece written by a Japanese-American woman, Emily Yoshida, titled "What It's Like to Watch Isle of Dogs As a Japanese Speaker". OK, I'm genuinely curious after all. Let's see.

It isn't going well. She finds the appropriation of her sacred culture to be so "exhausting". Omg, sumo wretlers, etc. As it goes on, it becomes clear that she is not much of a Wes Anderson fan, taking potshots at his previous films. Well, yeah, if you aren't a fan of Anderson's very particular (she even calls it "twee") style and humor, then Isle of Dogs, the furthest thing from a departure from his mode, will probably not win you over. She starts to nod off.

Anyway, what concerned me is that Anderson's "stilted dialogue" and twee affectations are not exactly relevant criticisms regarding cultural appropriation, and I start to get the feeling that maybe Ms. Yoshida is not giving the film a fair shake. So we get to the part of her criticism where she mentions the film's (bold, imo) use of language, having the dogs speak English while the humans speak Japanese. This is a handy way of illustrating the communication gap between them. More intriguingly, Wes chose to not use subtitles on the Japanese language, instead either relying on our inferences (like the dogs have to) or, in the more exposition-heavy scenes, use a government translator (Francis McDormand) to explain the politics of the Megasaki City mayor. Here, I was most curious to see how this novel approach went over for a, as the title implies, Japanese speaker.

"As a nonfluent (seriously, the opposite of fluent) Japanese speaker" - wait, hold the fuck up. She doesn't even speak Japanese?!? The whole premise of the article? Her entire claim to have the authority to arbitrate how her culture is portrayed? You know who does speak Japanese? Wes Anderson apparently, because he just made a movie that's half Japanese!!!

Here's where the article tales a turn. Since she can't speak the language of the culture she cherishes (through no fault but her own, she apologizes), she contacted three other Japanese-speaking people on Facebook to tell her how accurate the portrayal of the language was. There are a list of quibbles ("no hidden messages"?) but the overall verdict is "fine" - "it's quite a respectful depiction of Japanese culture". And to cap everything off, "Japanese people love Wes Anderson". Well, goddamit, there's your headline! Why are we bullshitting for half a page about someone who is clearly not a Japanese speaker?


Fri May 11, 2018 11:51 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1725 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThatDarnMKS and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.