It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 A Corrierino Awareness Thread 
Post Re: A Corrierino Awareness Thread

crumbsroom wrote:
With very few exceptions, the uselessness of Democrats infuriates me almost as much as the vileness of the Republicans.

Seeing Nancy Pelosi grovel about "bipartisanship" is a bit nauseating, but at least she probably won't be holding onto her speakership position.

Of course Trump, the man who thought his losing an election by 3 million qualified as "a landslide" victory for him, is going to spin this election as a major win and a mandate for himself. Despite his historic disapproval ratings or the fact that, in aggregate, the Dems actually received 9 million more votes in the midterms than the Republicans. What's more depressing is watching the media shrug, "Hey, he's got a point."

The most depressing Trump moment recently was when he answered a question about his tone by saying, "Hey, I'm here, I won because of my tone". That happens to be true. In 2018, incessant and shameless lying, race-baiting and craven bullying works politically in the USA. People love that stuff, and, as Jeff Zucker recently admitted, the cable news networks are making a ton of cash off of this patriotic kamikaze that we're currently enjoying so much.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I'll take it.

I hear you, but I would prefer to see a decisive popular rejection of Trumpism (as best as we can cohere what that means).

I'm going to have to deal with the fact that I live in a country that is OK with this degradation.

And I'm sure Yarn will be in here promptly to explain why it's really all our fault for making the Trump cult feel bad about their lack of integrity.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
but I would prefer to see a decisive popular rejection of Trumpism

This is why optimism is bad.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I'm going to have to deal with the fact that I live in a country that is OK with this degradation.

As a very serious lover of America, it is an extraordinarily sad thing.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:13 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

As a person who had begun to believe the absolute worst was going to happen on the election day, who worried the especially dark turn in American politics in the last few weeks would only improve Republican chances of resisting a blue wave, I am still willing to be happy that somehow Democrats still took the house. I had begun to think it was at least in some doubt.

Is their victory a remedy for how horrible everything is in American politics right now? Barely. But it has to be thought of as a start, and a glimmer of hope.

I'll take it.
This election ended up being more of a mixed bag for certain progressive/Democratic candidates than I would've hoped, but the fact that so many progressive ballot measures succeeded, gives me an extra, needed bit of hope for the country in the end.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Heh. Did you post this before Pelosi admitted that Trump had some good ideas?

Going by Trump's shit-spewing press conference, I'd say that this is only going to encourage Trump to get a whole lot meaner.

That depends on how sincere you believe Pelosi was. My suspicion is that she said as much so that she's not seen as immediately obstructionist. I'm sure she's aware that an incoming opposing congressional majority tends to embolden a president's supporters (as they will see him as "under siege" and rally around him). I didn't read that as anything more than boilerplate. I mean, he was going to get meaner anyway. That part was predictable.

RE: Mueller, that's true, one thing I hadn't considered as much was the 60-day gap and what damage Trump could do in that time.

RE: Scholten, you can say the Dems lost it, but one of the things I've learned in the past two years is that accusations of racial and sexual harassment against conservative politicians doesn't really work if the accused candidates treat the charges as persecution. Trump did so and won. Kavanaugh did so and survived. Roy Moore barely lost to Doug Jones (barely). DeSantis is likely to become governor despite Gillum's most publicized attack on him being one of racism. I think a lot of the conservative base reads these charges as (a) lies and (b) largely irrelevant in the face of larger social matters like economy and national security. (There's obviously a portion that agree with keeping women and/or minorities down, but I have no way of quantifying that.)

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:07 am

crumbsroom wrote:
This is why optimism is bad.

The joke was on me, there was no one even there to call my bluff.

I'm going back to my White Album outtakes....

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:51 am

DaMU wrote:
I mean, he was going to get meaner anyway. That part was predictable.

Sure, I just don't think we should be underestimating his ability to get his way just yet.

DaMU wrote:
RE: Mueller, that's true, one thing I hadn't considered as much was the 60-day gap and what damage Trump could do in that time.

It's been more promising since even conservative legal expeerts are pointing out that Whitaker is unqualified to be acting AG becausee he hasn't received Senate confirmation in another seat. The legal line of succession is clearly Rosenstein. However, this also happens to be the exact same dilemma that came up over the CFPB chief, and Trump seems to have been able to effectively break the Dodd-Frank law without much pushback from Congress.

Mueller, thankfully, is not stupid.

DaMU wrote:
RE: Scholten, you can say the Dems lost it, but one of the things I've learned in the past two years is that accusations of racial and sexual harassment against conservative politicians doesn't really work if the accused candidates treat the charges as persecution.

I have no illusions over whether this works on his supporters or party-line loyalists. Instead, I meant that it could very well work on the rest of the country if they were aware of it. We can see that just in the final 2-3 weeks, Scholten was able to bring in a lot of funding and King took a steep slide in the polls. I'm asking to imagine what the race would have looked like had this trend started a month, maybe two, earlier. I'm blaming the Dems (really, the DNC and the DCCC) for taking certain seats for granted, not funneling the necessary funding to candidates who are running in these so-called safely red districts. It is a positive analysis to say that the Dems proved far more competitive in these traditionally red areas, even though many of them lost by slim margins. I hope the party learns this lesson. It smacks of the damning quote from Clinton campaign advisor, Joel Benenson, who discouraged them from campaigning in the rust belt because "they'll never vote Democrat". I think that this attitude is responsible for the steep steady losses of local Democratic seats nationwide over the past decade.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

Jinnistan wrote:
It smacks of the damning quote from Clinton campaign advisor, Joel Benenson, who discouraged them from campaigning in the rust belt because "they'll never vote Democrat". I think that this attitude is responsible for the steep steady losses of local Democratic seats nationwide over the past decade.

Oh, I'm in total agreement with you on this.

At the least, they certainly could've chased a medium between (a) doing almost nothing, which is what they did, and (b) the sort of overwhelming backing that risks neutering the narrative of the local Dem by placing them in a DNC-friendly context (it's interesting how Lucy McBath beat Karen Handel, something that didn't happen with the much more nationally-watched Ossoff).

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Who knew Kellyanne Conway was such a football fan?

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:00 pm

I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time not living vicariously through AOC, our most visible millennial congressperson. she's just a politician dammit, they're all scum! they're not worthy of hero worship! *dumps cold water on self*

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Politicians become politicians, but hopefully it's slow enough of a process that she can get some shit done. The fact that she's arguing so insistently for a green new deal has me all kinds of excited. And she understands social media better than most of the people trying to dunk on her, which has been fun to watch.

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am

:shifty:

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 pm

I sure am glad that the Dems are taking full advantage of the clear constitutional violation of Matt Whitaker's appointment, because, no they haven't. Yhyhyhyhyheah.

I guess I don't even have to point out how Chuck Schumer had been bullying fellow Senators into not scrutinizing Facebook because, like, his daughter happens to work there. Good thing there hasn't been additional news there this week.

Does anyone even know who the victim is in Avennati's domestic abuse charge? I don't even want to defend this asshole, but I can't help but notice how the crucial piece of the puzzle is missing here.

I guess I should take some comfort in a federal court deciding that the Daily Stormer doesn't have a 1st Amendment right to coordinate an online harassment campaign against Jewish women. I'm literally at wit's end to figure out how I should be a proud American. I've even had my hair mussed in the rain this week.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 am

Thoughts about Hollywood's potential boycott of film and TV productions in Georgia? I hope it doesn't happen since it would negatively affect hundreds if not thousands of workers, many of whom share the views of boycott spearheads like Alyssa Milano, Ron Perlman, David Simon, etc. Sure, I'm biased because I'm a Georgia resident, but I hope that in addition to the harm this would do to their allies, the boycotters consider the progress we've made in spite of the voting corruption, such as the 6th district flipping for the first time since the late '70s, which is no small feat.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:10 am

Torgo wrote:
Thoughts about Hollywood's potential boycott of film and TV productions in Georgia? I hope it doesn't happen since it would negatively affect hundreds if not thousands of workers, many of whom share the views of boycott spearheads like Alyssa Milano, Ron Perlman, David Simon, etc. Sure, I'm biased because I'm a Georgia resident, but I hope that in addition to the harm this would do to their allies, the boycotters consider the progress we've made in spite of the voting corruption, such as the 6th district flipping for the first time since the late '70s, which is no small feat.

It's a free country. If a person of conscience doesn't want to provide labor in a context, that is their right.

What I don't like is the state government of California boycotting Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas (i.e., no state funded travel allowed). This screws with official travel, academic conferences, sporting events, etc. There was a time when the issue was state vs fed and the fed would withhold highway funds if the states didn't "voluntarily" comply with policies like the old double-nickel speed limit. Now we have states flexing against states, and California is massive--she could effectively coerce sister states with legislation that demands that other states pass laws that reflect the conscience of California.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:24 am

Stacey Abrams says it would do more harm than good. so maybe there are other ways to send a message.

could something like this even happen? I have to imagine there are loads of people in the movie/TV business so can't afford to turn down a job in Georgia.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 am

My opposition to collective punishment is pretty consistent.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 pm

And how hilarious is it that Matt Whitaker's non-profit FACT, which is supposed to advocate for greater government transparancy, is refusing to disclose the donors that paid him a million.half for this obvious accomplishment?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
And how hilarious is it that Matt Whitaker's non-profit FACT, which is supposed to advocate for greater government transparancy, is refusing to disclose the donors that paid him a million.half for this obvious accomplishment?

not much surprises me anymore

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 pm

DaMU wrote:
Politicians become politicians, but hopefully it's slow enough of a process that she can get some shit done. The fact that she's arguing so insistently for a green new deal has me all kinds of excited. And she understands social media better than most of the people trying to dunk on her, which has been fun to watch.

I'm less concerned about her becoming a standard pol, moreso that the things that make her appealing today will become liabilities in the future. I don't believe she's the "Sarah Palin of the left" but I also hope she doesn't one day become such a thing. (although would I know when that happens? 'cause maybe she already is and I just don't know it)

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 pm

I don't think "Palin of the left" is a risk. She's too sharp for that.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
not much surprises me anymore

"Surprise" isn't the right word, as brazen hypocrisy is quite predictable now.

Just amusing, kinda like Don Trumpleone's cautionary "Accidents happen!" statement yesterday.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:26 am

is Hillary still relevant? 'cause this was something I didn't expect.
(as climate change makes the world increasingly less habitable, just how does one "curb immigration" that doesn't destine the world's poor to more suffering? I fear we are so not ready for the future)

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:57 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

*Whoopee cushion sighs lazily*

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:32 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
(as climate change makes the world increasingly less habitable, just how does one "curb immigration" that doesn't destine the world's poor to more suffering? I fear we are so not ready for the future)
"By the way, guys, if you want to stop uncontrolled immigration you might want to stop the southern hemisphere from becoming uninhabitable."

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:50 am

Goddamnit, I wish she would just go away forever.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:22 am

"The World" is the most vicious killer of all time.

Newsweek is now (er, last week, but I'm getting around to it) reporting that Khashoggi was censored by Saudi Arabia media after he had criticized Trump for his incoherent foreign policy. That criticism was never published, and after six months of not getting published, Khashoggi came to the US to write for WaPo.

I guess what I'm saying is that this could very well be why Trump is having difficulty extending his sympathies to this enemy of the state.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 am

Likely unrelated, I noticed that my standard "wikipedia.org" bookmark has started directing me to the Turkish language version of the site this morning. That's the first time in several years of using this bookmark. There could be a larger issue involved with Wiki's servers, but that's always a comforting thing to see.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:49 am

crumbsroom wrote:

And it will almost definitely blow up in his face. Three or four of the provinces (including fuck face Doug Fords Ontario) are pushing back against environmental safeguards, and its hard not to imagine Alberta will eventually follow when they return to normal and get back to electing a pro-fossil fuel right wing led provincial government.

getting back to this, I am aware that Macron is having his own problems with implementing a gas tax so, uh, I guess we'll just have to see where this goes, if any teachable moments are to be had, etc.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:31 pm

DaMU wrote:
Goddamnit, I wish she would just go away forever.

The Dems need a JFK-type candidate for 2020 and not one of the few people who is competitively unlikable with Trump. Someone young and hopeful and energizing is the way to go.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:07 am

it better not be that dude from Texas. I can't believe some people are seriously talking about him running for president. I mean, he just lost his first big election!

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:05 am

Beto? I get it. He's got a Kennedy flavor. And sure, he lost his first big election, but it was an election any Democrat would've lost, and Beto narrowed the gap to a historic degree. (source). And while he lost, his presence helped motivate a lot of downballot races into flipping to Democrat. I think he's a better option than many other names currently being floated around, including my own senator Kamala Harris.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 am

In a time of criminal justice reform, it's so delightful to see someone who is so happy about going to prison for a long, long time. Atta, champ!

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 am

DaMU wrote:
Beto? I get it. He's got a Kennedy flavor. And sure, he lost his first big election, but it was an election any Democrat would've lost, and Beto narrowed the gap to a historic degree. (source). And while he lost, his presence helped motivate a lot of downballot races into flipping to Democrat.
And he did that while also refusing any and all Super PAC money, a policy that every other member of the party needs to get onboard with, and yesterday.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 pm

I don't want to think about who is running for president in 2020 until 2020. (or at least November 2019)

but I hope someone primaries Trump. I wanna see just how many people are pro-Trump versus anti-Democrat.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Stu wrote:
And he did that while also refusing any and all Super PAC money, a policy that every other member of the party needs to get onboard with, and yesterday.

Absolutely agreed on that.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I don't want to think about who is running for president in 2020 until 2020. (or at least November 2019)

but I hope someone primaries Trump. I wanna see just how many people are pro-Trump versus anti-Democrat.

The brightest timeline is one where Trump isn't running in 2020.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:02 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

The brightest timeline is one where Trump isn't running in 2020.

I'm still mentally preparing myself for a full Trump term.

also, I noticed the protests over the fuel tax in France have evolved into an all-general "fuck Macron" kind of deal. or that the fuel tax was the breaking point that unleashed all the anger. I'd put some onus on Macron if he was unable to find a way to reduce the pain for lower-income residents. I know that was something we had to keep in mind within our carbon tax lobby group. or at least that would make it most palatable politically. personally I was never super-duper gung-ho about a carbon tax but I, and maybe some other people in the group, knew it was an idea most appealing to the sorts of people who want the government to do as little as possible (albeit only the ones who thought climate change was real and a problem). for now making inroads with any Republicans who will listen seems the best option. but I am getting a little weary of pursuing these 'centrist' ideas just to placate politicians (AND THEIR DONORS) that don't have as much skin in the game as the younger and poorer among us.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:43 pm

The climate lobbies I've visited push "carbon fee and dividend," which is a "tax," but the tax goes directly to citizens.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 am

yeah, same. that didn't stop a bunch of think tank-backed op-eds in some of our local newspapers talking about how it would hurt lower-income families and then not go on to offer any alternatives.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:06 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

I'm still mentally preparing myself for a full Trump term.

also, I noticed the protests over the fuel tax in France have evolved into an all-general "fuck Macron" kind of deal. or that the fuel tax was the breaking point that unleashed all the anger. I'd put some onus on Macron if he was unable to find a way to reduce the pain for lower-income residents. I know that was something we had to keep in mind within our carbon tax lobby group. or at least that would make it most palatable politically. personally I was never super-duper gung-ho about a carbon tax but I, and maybe some other people in the group, knew it was an idea most appealing to the sorts of people who want the government to do as little as possible (albeit only the ones who thought climate change was real and a problem). for now making inroads with any Republicans who will listen seems the best option. but I am getting a little weary of pursuing these 'centrist' ideas just to placate politicians (AND THEIR DONORS) that don't have as much skin in the game as the younger and poorer among us.

Carbon Taxes are a scam. What will our governments spend this tax money on? Bombs? Pork Barrel Project X? And when rich corporations buy their way out of trouble by hogging carbon credits, will the climate continue to warm? The idea of charging common citizens a carbon tax or giving them a carbon limit is a little too close to victim blaming. The vast majority of emissions come from the rich companies who will buy their way out so that they can keep polluting.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... ate-change

Carbon taxes are a rich man's game. It's a way to base an economy on a notion of original sin and put the greatest burden on those with the least power while doing nothing to solve the problem.

We are not going to tax our way out of the apocalypse. We have to stop burning fossil fuels. We have ask what an "energy need" really is, seeing as how our immediate ancestors had no such needs at all. We need to eat MUCH less meat. We need to start revoking corporate charters on bad actors who incorrigibly externalize costs onto the environment and future generations. We need to subsidize solar power. We need to incentivize Buck Rogers tech projects to resequester carbon. We're miles down the road from simply curbing consumption by taking the element fundamental to all life.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 am

Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
Carbon Fee and Dividend begins with levying a progressively-rising tax on carbon-based fuels, then returning some or all of the revenue to the public as a regular energy dividend. This is intended to incentivize a shift to low-carbon energy while protecting consumers from any increases in the costs of carbon-based fuels.

Nobody here is arguing carbon legislation as the catch-all solution that absolves us from other necessary changes.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 am

DaMU wrote:
Per Wikipedia:

Nobody here is arguing carbon legislation as the catch-all solution that absolves us from other necessary changes.

And the problem with this is....

1. It taxes poor people who can't afford it.

2. Not only can the poor not afford it, they're not responsible for the vast majority is emissions. Victim blaming as the basis for a new economy of guilt? No thanks.

3. Trusting the government to use tax money responsibly (Lo! To give it right back to the people!) is hopelessly naive. This won't happen. It will be another cookie jar to be raided arbitrarily.

4. This would be a massive and misleading undertaking which would inevitably make us feel like we'd accomplished something (Look, we've taxed this sinful behavior!), giving a false sense of "Mission Accomplished" and taxing the general will needed for real change (I've paid my carbon taxes already!)

If you want lower carbon emissions build nuclear power plants and subsidize solar cells. You mandate that all new cars be electric. You outlaw big polluting cargo ships. You invest in the desperate gee whiz technologies which will be necessary to take carbon back out of the atmosphere and other desperate gambits like

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ive-report

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:51 am

I get the feeling you like talking at people rather than with them.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:20 am

DaMU wrote:

I just don't trust the idea. The bare conceptual idea sounds well-intentioned and plausible, but the actual application of the idea depends too much on our governments not selling out to corporate interests in the new "carbon economy" (sure, you get a few more carbon doots, go ahead and throw a few hundred thousand more pounds of crap in the atmosphere this year) and to use tax money for a dedicated purpose. We can't even get politicians to pass topical legislation (Hey, look the new Farm Bill X also ends Net Neutrality and funds a bridge to nowhere in Alaska) let alone count on them to spend tax money on the purpose for which it is dedicated (e.g., social security isn't going broke because people aren't paying into it, but rather because congress has been treating it as a petty cash box that they can draw upon at will).

Beyond this I am profoundly uncomfortable at the idea of criminalizing being alive and participating in the economy. The government doesn't want you to go off the grid. We are limited in terms of being able to collect and store rainwater. People in Flint risk having their homes condemned as not fit for human habitation if they refuse to pay for city water there. Try getting around anywhere in the U.S. without an internal combustion engine being in the mix.

Fighting climate change requires an actual fight and not just a clever new economic scheme for the rich that only prima facie (if you squint hard enough) serves the interests of our climate.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:21 am

Beyond this I am profoundly uncomfortable at the idea of criminalizing being alive and participating in the economy.

*cringe*

DaMU wrote:

*chortle*

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 am

We are not going to tax our way out of the apocalypse. We have to stop burning fossil fuels. We have ask what an "energy need" really is, seeing as how our immediate ancestors had no such needs at all. We need to eat MUCH less meat. We need to start revoking corporate charters on bad actors who incorrigibly externalize costs onto the environment and future generations. We need to subsidize solar power. We need to incentivize Buck Rogers tech projects to resequester carbon. We're miles down the road from simply curbing consumption by taking the element fundamental to all life.

I feel you. and I bemoan how much time and energy is needed just to get people (or more specifically Republicans) to acknowledge the problem in the first place. I'd like to think getting Republican legislators to endorse a carbon tax is a step in that direction (otherwise why would they see a carbon tax as necessary?) but again, only as a step not an endpoint.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

I am in constant fear that more people won't be convinced until there are more wildfires, flooding, migrants, crop failure, etc. assuming they believe it to be linked to climate change. and by then we'll be spending most of our energy keeping up on the current crises and not getting at the underlying causes.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I feel you. and I bemoan how much time and energy is needed just to get people (or more specifically Republicans) to acknowledge the problem in the first place. I'd like to think getting Republican legislators to endorse a carbon tax is a step in that direction (otherwise why would they see a carbon tax as necessary?) but again, only as a step not an endpoint.

The big money Republicans don't really make sense to me on this. They know the score. Big oil companies knew about this and suppressed it in the 1970s (Talk about crimes against humanity! If we wind up in a six-degree world, the Nazis will have nothing on these guys.). You have to wonder what their end game is on this, because it is not in the self-interest of life as we know it to continue in the direction of burning fossil fuels. Joe Six-Pack who gets all his news from his Facebook feed and 4Chan can be explained pretty easily as being misled and willfully ignorant. At the very least, I can wrap my head around that. What I can't wrap my head around is being part of the millionaire/billionaire set with all the information right in front of you and sticking with denial. Even if you're in first class on the Titanic, the ship is still sinking. Short-sighted self-interest? I have a hard time believing that they're that clueless. Do they have some Malthusian end-game of geo-politics? Sounds too much like a conspiracy theory. Trapped in a death-spiral? This, sadly makes the most sense. You can be a heroin junkie and know that it is killing you, but still recognize that you're gonna need your next fix. Even so, it is baffling that we are still living in two worlds relative to the basic questions of fact about global warming.

Republican leadership aside, there is the question of how to reach ordinary people who are still in denial. I think here it is a question of framing. That is, as a "national security threat" climate change can appear as a blip on the radar screen. Also, framed as a question of economic growth it can also get traction. Cities in Texas, for example, are leading the way on moving to carbon neutrality

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/07/51906400 ... ble-energy

An interesting quote from Peter Zeihan:

Quote:
Over the course of the next five years Texas is going to be the number one solar state and probably five to ten years from now guess what the first city in the country is it's going to go 100% Green Power: Dallas Fort Worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BclcpfVn2rg

His contention is that Texans are leading the way, not because they're environmentally sensitive, but because they can see the profit in it and the practicality of it. If he's right, then this sounds like the sort of angle that appeals to conservatives. I think that ordinary citizens can be reached and persuaded on the issue, but we have to let them save face and step out of the corner they've painted themselves into psychologically.

I am still strongly opposed to a carbon tax as too little too late, hurting the poor, and selling off pollution like indulgences. I don't even see it as a stepping stone. We need mandated carbon limits--FULL STOP--do not pass go, do not purchase carbon credits to keep doing business as usual. We need to go full Tesla on our future. We're past the point of being able to manage the situation through moderation and the usually hand-wavy policies. Incentivize purchasing items locally to cut down on the amount of needless shipping we see--does it make sense to you that we raise chickens in the U.S., have them processed in China, and then send them back to the U.S.?--would be great. For example, reverse the polarity of sales tax. Put a sales tax on all Amazon purchases (which sadly is pretty much the same thing as saying "tax all internet sales" which is what I am really saying) and remove all sales taxes from locally produced and sold goods. Build some new nuclear plants. Develop solar power which is getting better all the time. Invest in infrastructure. The most efficient way, by far, to move stuff around on land is by rail. Build more rails and trains and take trucks off the road (truckers are going to lose their jobs to automation anyway).

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 2065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next