100 Influential Paintings 
Post Re: 100 Influential Paintings

bottom one is awesome

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Ugh, I want her sandals.

This is so elegant and simple. I love it.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:28 pm

And this will be henceforth known as the day that Izzy inadvertently revealed her actual gender, and the cinephile community will rejoice in having solved one of its greatest mysteries.

| letterboxd

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:18 pm

B-Side wrote:
And this will be henceforth known as the day that Izzy inadvertently revealed her actual gender, and the cinephile community will rejoice in having solved one of its greatest mysteries.

Is it? The great thing about great fashion is, by it's very nature, that it is androgynous.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:04 am

He could have a ladies shoe collection.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Is it? The great thing about great fashion is, by it's very nature, that it is androgynous.

I don't know many (straight) guys who would want to wear high heels that practically make your feet vertical.

| letterboxd

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:58 pm

If I hated women, I'd probably make sandals like those.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
If I hated women, I'd probably make sandals like those.

They look like medieval torture devices. :P

| letterboxd

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 pm

they are beautiful though

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 pm

They do look nice. I can't imagine actually walking in them, though.

| letterboxd

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:22 pm

I think they ugly.

The dark outfit underneath is gorgeous though.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:24 pm

The 60s had the best fashion.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Went to an art show tonight to see new work from one of my favourite working artists, Lacey Jane. I love the pop-art quality of her work, and it's sensuality. Her newest piece is the best yet but unfortunately no pictures yet :(

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:56 am

This thread has changed my life, no lie.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 am

Found a photo from the event of her new one, hardly does it justice. First work on linen, which always looks so much richer and smoother than Canvas ugh. but so expensive

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
This thread has changed my life, no lie.

This is such an amazing thing to say :heart:

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:

Hmm, I don't quite get it. Maybe it is too subtle?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:03 pm

You'd be surprised by some canvases!

But it's true linen and velvet are wonderful painting surfaces.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:06 pm

And Lacey often collaborates with an equally awesome artist, Layla Folkmann. Their big show together was called "Hot Sluts and Poutines". Her love of cum is beautiful <3

So this is actually a portrait of Lacey

self-portrait

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

Hmm, I don't quite get it. Maybe it is too subtle?

it's about a lady touching herself and performing lions, duh.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Das wrote:
You'd be surprised by some canvases!

But it's true linen and velvet are wonderful painting surfaces.

ya, i generalize but I dream of linen

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:08 pm

i am lazy as fuck today, so no names. if you really want one i will get it for you

fuck, look at the simplicity of the gestures here. the power of the gaze. UGH UGH UGH. as simple, classical as it may be, what a fucking moment in time.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 am

too large

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:12 am

Oleg Gurenkov (third and fourth in the first post) is new to me, so thanks. Love that first one by him especially.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Top two and bottom one in the second post are aces. I know the second one in the second post, and the last one in the first post, but can't place names.

| letterboxd

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:39 pm

B-Side wrote:
Top two and bottom one in the second post are aces. I know the second one in the second post, and the last one in the first post, but can't place names.

Félix Vallotton and Alex Roulette

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:33 am

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:45 am

Izzy Black wrote:
Ugh, I want her sandals.

()

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 pm

The Tjalf Sparnaay fried egg reminds me of the first photorealistic canvases (still the only ones) I've seen at the Hirshorn in D.C. back in 1977. No idea of the titles or artists. It's been a day or two at least since that year.

They were huge. Maybe 16 or 20 feet square. And no matter how close I got to them there was no loss of detail.

I figured this was a school reacting to the Impressionists and Abstractionists.

Now, I've noticed, even sculptors are making "photorealistic" sculptures. Which reminds me that I read about the original Greek and Roman classical statues having been painted when they were new.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

h

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 pm

This is a good thread.

| letterboxd

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:51 pm

this looks exactly like Christina Hendricks

The Marchesa Casati / Augustus Edwin John / 1919

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:05 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
h

Minimalist posting?

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 am

I dislike Klimt he was a decorative, fussy painter. I used to think a lot of Hopper but find myself increasingly indifferent. He has good and bad paintings. Renoir I don't respond to but the stuff he did when almost blind is good.

Impressionism is basically garbage except for Degas. History has done an immense disservice to Gauguin, whom I would argue is the most important and influential painter ever. He was basically the precursor to Matisse, Rothko/colour field, modernism, even advertising. I didn't admire Rembrandt initially, but later realised how incredible his technique was and have come to love the scope of his work. His technique was very influential on Turner, who I view as important. Turner imo is an unmatched combination of technical expertise and experimental creative genius.

Look at Turner's Music Party from 1835. This is modern art pre-dating "modern art".

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:43 am

Quote:
Impressionism is basically garbage except for Degas
hahahaha

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Seems we get a Turner exhibition over here just in time for the new Leigh movie!

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:37 am
Profile WWW

Glen Orbik for some pulpy-ness

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Philosphe Rouge, can you (or someone?) tell me the name of the artist who did the painting you posted of the big black whale under the sea with icebergs or glaciers and two small ships above, one appearing to be in flames? I love that painting!!!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:46 pm

It's Fire Down on the Labrador, by David Blackwood. It is amazing, isn't it?

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9