It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 100 Influential Paintings 
Post Re: CANADIAN

Philosophe rouge wrote:

When I was young, I had a couple of dreams where I was out on open ocean in a tiny boat and I knew there was a giant whale beneath me. This first painting makes me think of my sinister whale dreams.

In the second one, there is an smaller 'echo' image of the man in the foreground on the opposite bank. Are there two men warning the boys on the ice floes?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 am
Post Re: CANADIAN

traboule wrote:
When I was young, I had a couple of dreams where I was out on open ocean in a tiny boat and I knew there was a giant whale beneath me. This first painting makes me think of my sinister whale dreams.

In the second one, there is an smaller 'echo' image of the man in the foreground on the opposite bank. Are there two men warning the boys on the ice floes?

It's cool. Reminds me of:

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 am
Post Re: 100 Influential Paintings

Looks like a Mastodon cover.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Cuz is.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 pm
Post Re: More Of sound reason in Illusion

PougsPepe wrote:
When a apprentice failed to untangle a math tory burch outletdifficulty in order, he expressedtory burch shoes his weep to his teacher. "I about solving the predicament in my cheap tory burchhallucination form tenebrousness, but for the era being I've forgotten it . What can thattory burch sale mean?""It means that you are more intelligent in dreamstory burch flatsthan when you are understand," the fellow explained.

Agreed.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Martyrdom of St Thomas of Canterbury from the St Thomas Altar by Master Francke, 1424?-36
Legend of the True Cross - the Queen of Sheba Meeting with Solomon , Detail. by Piero della Francesca, c. 1452-66
Fresco from the Villa of the Mysteries. Pompejanischer Maler, 80 BC
The Pietà of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon by Enguerrand Quarton (1410–1466)
Nativity at Night by Geertgen tot Sint Jans, c. 1490.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:55 am

I can never get enough of the look of Fresco/egg tempura paintings, just so fucking creepy

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 am

From the last page, major yes on the Mucha, but also on the Kustodiev, which I had the pleasure of seeing 'live'.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 am

Clearly, the presumption is: people have always dressed as we dress. ha ha!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24 am

The Villa of the Mysteries?!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

Trip wrote:
The Villa of the Mysteries?!

I am pretty lazy with fact checking, so it could be wrong, probably is

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 am

This thread is absolutely amazing. Please continue. Enjoyed and still enjoying it immensely!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Light and water.

The Slave Ship by J. M. W. Turner, 1840
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slave_Ship for some pretty interesting background information, including some verse that accompanied the painting.
Early abstraction.

Night Stop at Bayou Sara by James Stobart, 1990
Not a masterwork, but I love the play of light on the river and in the puddles on the road. Something about the painting mesmerizes me. It may have something to do with the fact that it depicts Bayou Sara, which is essentially where I grew up. (I grew up in St. Francisville, which is where town of Bayou Sara once was; Bayou Sara was on the river, but the river flooded so often the residents moved to the top of a nearby bluff -- St. Francisville.)

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Mmmm. Turner.. what a great way to start my morning.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

Frantisek Kupka - The Way of Silence II by ahisgett, on Flickr

Incredible!

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am

Saw this in a documentary I watched recently: Leda and the Swan, by Paolo Veronese -

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:39 pm
Profile WWW

I went to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam today, and there was a lot of great stuff, but I was particulary enthranced and somehow touched by this one:

The Garden of Saint-Paul Hospital

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am

That's lovely, Kurz. I wish I had a Van Gogh museum. And, yeah, those asylum paintings will just about break your heart.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:26 am

[place-drop]I've been to that museum![/place-drop]

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 am

Love just about all of Vincent's work. I have so many reproduction books of his works. Need to see more in person, as I have only seen a dozen or so. I watched program (PBS perhaps?)about a year ago on Van Gogh which was incredibly interesting. The research pointed to him having been shot on accident by a teenager... not a suicide. They claimed he took the blame so that the boy wouldn't be punished.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:46 am
Profile WWW

Derninan wrote:
[place-drop]I've been to that museum![/place-drop]

Well, technically I haven't because it's being rebuild and the exhibition was moved to the Amsterdam Hermitage... :P

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 am

Hank wrote:
Love just about all of Vincent's work. I have so many reproduction books of his works. Need to see more in person, as I have only seen a dozen or so. I watched program (PBS perhaps?)about a year ago on Van Gogh which was incredibly interesting. The research pointed to him having been shot on accident by a teenager... not a suicide. They claimed he took the blame so that the boy wouldn't be punished.

Apparently the people at the Van Gogh museum were not convinced by that:
Quote:
In Van Gogh: the Life, a biography published in 2011, authors Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith argue that van Gogh did not commit suicide. They contend that he was shot accidentally by two boys he knew who had “a malfunctioning gun”. However experts at the Van Gogh Museum remain unconvinced. Prominent skeptic Joe Nickell also was not convinced. Nickell analyzed the questions raised by Naifeh and Smith to support their new theory and found that all can be addressed with a more likely answer. By ignoring the well-known psychological state of Van Gogh (given to self-inflicting harm, self-mortification) and much more reliable testimony (from Adeline Ravoux, daughter of the inn keeper Gustave Ravoux, the owner of the gun), Naifeh and Smith instead make a lot of assumptions on the circumstances around the incident, and misrepresent what Rene Secretan (one of the two boys) said sixty-six years later in 1956, who did not confess shooting Van Gogh. Nickell concludes that their theory is the result of the logical fallacy of 'confirmation bias' – "start the investigation with a supposed answer and work backward to the evidence".

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am

Oh, yeah... I can't say that I was completely convinced either... hence me saying 'they claimed'. It still was very interesting to hear their arguments and their accounts of what they thought happened.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:09 am
Profile WWW

My favorite at the moment:

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 am

yeeeesssss

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:50 am
Profile WWW

That was there too. :)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:10 am

Shieldmaiden's post is also probably my favourite Gogh. If his work interests you, this always struck me as incredibly interesting, art meets science!

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060703/ ... 03-17.html

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:05 am

Princess Louisa and Princess Caroline (1767) by Francis Cotes

The Lady of Shalott (c. 1890-1905), oil on canvas by William Holman Hunt

La Vierge à l’Enfant entre saint Jean-Baptiste et sainte Madeleine (sainte Madeleine), c. 1485. by Piero di Cosimo

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:30 am

Massage (1883) oil on canvas, by Édouard Debat-Ponsan
The Unequal Marriage (1862) by Vasily Vladimirovich Pukirev (Russian, 1832–1890)
Laetitia, Lady Lade (1793) by George Stubbs
Sunny Morning - Eight Legs (1997), oil on canvas by Lucian Freud

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:33 am

I enjoy artifice and vulnerability

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 am

the debat-ponsan and freud are <3

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 pm

nice dick

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Taking an art history class on fashion, so be prepared to be fabulous?!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 am

A selection from Streetpeeper

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/candice-lake-tibi

LONDON
Top:Blue Mohair Sweater
Skirt:PROENZA SCHOULER Skirt
Bag:Black CHANEL Bag
Shoes:Black Fringe Sandals
Photo By:Phil Oh

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/white-white-holes

PARIS
Top:White CHLOE Blouse
Skirt:Hole Cut-Out CHLOE
SkirtShoes:Beige Sandals

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/red-purple-dress

LONDON
Dress:Red Dress with Purple Collar
Bag:PRADA Bag
Shoes:Black Sandals

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:36 am

I know very little about fashion, but I find that skirt on the middle girl both sexy and maddening.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 am

Macrology wrote:
I know very little about fashion, but I find that skirt on the middle girl both sexy and maddening.

why maddening?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:26 am

More, from PARIS

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/miao-mi ... city=paris

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/blue-su ... city=paris

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/peplum-dress?city=paris

http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/ming-xi ... city=paris

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 am

Maddeningly sexy, I'm guessing.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
why maddening?

Because you can see through parts of it, but the arrangement of cut-outs and folds create a sort of optical tangle so you have no idea what you're actually seeing. Which is maybe the point, because one doesn't generally wear transparent clothing, but the result is both visually and sensually frustrating.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

Not big on fashion, but that blue suit is awesome.

| letterboxd

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm

B-Side wrote:
Not big on fashion, but that blue suit is awesome.

Same thought. Though I doubt a white guy could rock it as hard.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Trip wrote:
Same thought. Though I doubt a white guy could rock it as hard.

This is accurate.

| letterboxd

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:48 pm

fashion is not just about the clothes, it is about it's relationship with the body and personality of who is wearing it. It is like the theatre of living.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 am

It's funny because in these outfits some of these people strike me as caricatures -- not in a bad way, but in the sense that their clothes are so expressive of a certain personality (whether their own personality or one imposed upon them it's hard to say; I'm inclined to say the former, but some might almost be like actors in costumes).

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 am

Macrology wrote:
It's funny because in these outfits some of these people strike me as caricatures -- not in a bad way, but in the sense that their clothes are so expressive of a certain personality (whether their own personality or one imposed upon them it's hard to say; I'm inclined to say the former, but some might almost be like actors in costumes).

All the world's a stage... imagine though, the same outfit on a different person, or the same person in a different person. It is not disingenuous that a person can create a persona for the day, it is fascinating. Living art in a way.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:04 am

I wish I cared more for clothes but those are some lovely dresses.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:06 am

Madame Rimsky Korsakov, by Franz Xavier Winterhalter 1864

Reverie by Dante Gabriel Rossetti 1868

The Proposal (The Marquis and Griselda) by Frederic George Stephens 1850

Too Late, William Lindsay Windus 1858

Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 am

oh right this is a thing

| letterboxd

Mon May 27, 2013 4:53 pm

So i watched Camille Claudel, and then I looked at all my art books on modern art (as, Rodin is a modern sculptor... she is likely a modern sculptor), and NOTHING. Not even mention to her as a muse, inspiration, nothing. Some of these books have like 100 pages on Rodin. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. Now, I do think that Rodin is a bit more accomplished than Claudel, at least from what I can tell from photographs, but her work has a beautiful rawness, and so much movement, beautifully conceptual. It hurts me.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Alex Roulette. Airborne. 2010.

Jake Wood-Evans. Climbing, falling, she knew not where, 2013

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next