It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Fitness 
Post Re: Fitness

the one with the most bros

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile WWW

ugh

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Trip wrote:
Were you a hottie LEAVES?
Were? I'm still alive and young and virile!

And I don't really know. Girls who were equally as attractive as me were roughly as attracted to me as I was to them, and it wasn't all the girls, but it wasn't none of the girls. So I'm somewhere between the 2nd percentile and the 98th percentile, I believe. That's via deduction. Via assumption, Brad Pitt is jealous of my manliness.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Trip wrote:
ok so I weigh 73kg and the scales say I have 14% body fat
i'm cutting because cheaper & because my home dumbbells probably don't go far enough so that if I started bulking I'd prob just get fat, no?

Trip wrote:
They are 8kg each not including the bar itself (because you can take weight off and add to them), which could only be like one kg. So ~9kg each.
It's join a gym time.

You can do things to make body weight exercises more difficult, and if you fatigue/get-close-to-failure in the 5-12 rep range then that's excellent for lean mass gain or lean mass retention. If that's the case, you can save some money by holding off on joining a gym.

I'd keep cutting if I were you.

This is what losing ~15.5 pounds of fat looks like:

Image Image

He even lost ~4.65 pounds of lean mass (caveat: measurements taken on a glycogen depleted day / if he was un-depleted his lean mass would've been higher meaning he likely lost a negligible amount of lean mass or retained his lean mass from start to finish).

He went from ~15-16% body fat to ~7-8% body fat over the course of 3 months. 4 weeks of training. 2-week break. Then 6 more weeks of training. You don't have keep cutting to 8%. You can stop at 10-12% which is just shy of a six-pack, usually.

Another example of how fat loss significantly affects a body recomposition effort:

Image Image

He was 40 pounds heavier in the picture on the left.

*looks at flieger*

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Trip wrote:
They are 8kg each not including the bar itself (because you can take weight off and add to them), which could only be like one kg. So ~9kg each.
It's join a gym time.

So that's about 20 lbs. Definitely not going to get much mass using those. Like Verite said, they could be used to make bodyweight stuff a bit more difficult, and you could continue slowly cutting to a very trim 10% body fat while maintaining as much LBM as possible. If you want to take it further than that, you'd need to join a gym.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Incredibly useful responses as ever, and pics! <3

Righto, I'll keep cutting. I was unsure because for the last week my weight/BF readings were more or less exactly the same each day, but then today it was slightly less. I know this happens all the time. I've actually only started recording these, but I do have my initial one from a little back that was 78kg but with no BF reading).

So the sticking point is home training. Should I be fatiguing with every set? I tend to fatigue towards the end of the last set, but I'm not doing a whole lot more (reps or sets, though I've added whole exercises) than I did starting out, really. Also, how long do you think it would take (though I'm not really concerned about getting as fit as soon as possible) to get BF down to, whatever, ~8% from where I am?

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:29 pm

LEAVES wrote:
How could one possibly separate the pseudo-science from the science? Impossible.

Research of trusted experts in their respective fields instead of the 'rioded out guy using his entire body to curl a bar certainly helps. Not much different than how you'd go about deciding if shaving your facial hair actually makes it grow back thicker.

| letterboxd

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Trip wrote:

Righto, I'll keep cutting. I was unsure because for the last week my weight/BF readings were more or less exactly the same each day, but then today it was slightly less. I know this happens all the time. I've actually only started recording these, but I do have my initial one from a little back that was 78kg but with no BF reading).

Safe to assume at least a vast majority of the 5 kgs you lost was fat/fluid. And yeah, weight measurements are incredibly inconsistent, so I generally advise people to stick to weighing themselves once a week, the same day, before they eat or drink anything. That way you skirt most of the day to day fluid fluctuations and measurements after having eaten or drank throughout the day.

Quote:
So the sticking point is home training. Should I be fatiguing with every set? I tend to fatigue towards the end of the last set, but I'm not doing a whole lot more (reps or sets, though I've added whole exercises) than I did starting out, really. Also, how long do you think it would take (though I'm not really concerned about getting as fit as soon as possible) to get BF down to, whatever, ~8% from where I am?

You don't need to fail at every set, but the last few reps of every set should at least be difficult. As for getting your body fat to sub-10%, I'd say at least 6 months to a year or more depending on how consistent you are and how good your nutrition is. As you get lower and lower in body fat percentage, the body begins to activate various mechanisms for retaining it that will likely stall you or at least make it progressively more difficult. Anything below 8% is considered dangerous, so I'd argue you shouldn't aim for anything below 10% as you can look excellent at that body fat percentage pretty easily.

| letterboxd

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Trip wrote:

8-)

Trip wrote:
So the sticking point is home training. Should I be fatiguing with every set? I tend to fatigue towards the end of the last set, but I'm not doing a whole lot more (reps or sets, though I've added whole exercises) than I did starting out, really.

In the context of fat loss in which a caloric deficit means a recovery deficit, the majority if not all of your sets (not including warm-up sets) should be terminated with 2-4 reps left in the tank. Terminating sets with 1 rep left in the tank is fine for the last set for each exercise. Doing so is adequate stimulus for lean mass retention (or some lean mass gain).

Trip wrote:
Also, how long do you think it would take (though I'm not really concerned about getting as fit as soon as possible) to get BF down to, whatever, ~8% from where I am?

Assuming 100% lean mass retention, to go from 14% BF to about 8% BF, in your case, would need losing ~10 pounds of fat. At an average rate of 0.5 to 1.5 pounds of fat loss per week, it might take you about 6 weeks to 20 weeks. The closer you are to 13%-17% body fat, you're likely to lose at an average rate of about 1 to 1.5 pounds of fat with a moderate caloric deficit. The problem is getting closer to 10% BF. That's when metabolic adaptations slow things down to an average rate of ~0.5 to ~1 pounds of fat loss per week while employing a moderate deficit.

To err on the side of caution, an average rate means looking at how much you lost over the course of 2-4 weeks...because fat/weight loss will very likely occur non-linearly (i.e. in bursts broken up by periods of stagnation even if you're employing sound fundamentals).

B-Side wrote:
Like Verite said, they could be used to make bodyweight stuff a bit more difficult

While using plates or something can certainly be used in such a fashion, that's not what I meant about doing things to make body weight exercises more difficult. I meant stuff like having the hands wider during push-ups or elevating the feet while doing push-ups once standard push-ups become too easy.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:10 pm

I already do decline and incline, and wide hands. :shifty:

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Try side-to-side push-ups, one-arm push-ups, clapping push-ups, or clapping push-ups (where your whole body leaves the floor).

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Verite wrote:
Try side-to-side push-ups, one-arm push-ups, clapping push-ups, or clapping push-ups (where your whole body leaves the floor).

Yes sir!

I tried the clapping one once and was like fuck this :D

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Trip wrote:
and was like fuck this :D

:D

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Verite wrote:
the majority if not all of your sets (not including warm-up sets) should be terminated with 2-4 reps left in the tank. Terminating sets with 1 rep left in the tank is fine for the last set for each exercise.

Some trainees do fine with the opposite approach, though...in which the first work set is the most intense. Then the 2nd (and 3rd set if there is one) is done with lighter weights to get reps in.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Verite wrote:
While using plates or something can certainly be used in such a fashion, that's not what I meant about doing things to make body weight exercises more difficult. I meant stuff like having the hands wider during push-ups or elevating the feet while doing push-ups once standard push-ups become too easy.

That, too. Plyo push ups, weighted planks, jump squats, box jumps, farmer's walks, etc. can all be accomplished with body weight and/or a little additional weight as resistance. I don't think even I could do plyo push ups. I usually tire out after about 10. Kinda pathetic.

| letterboxd

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Rebuttal, Verite?

| letterboxd

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 am

1RM Maxes for 2013:

Bench - 215 lbs
Squat - 315 lbs
Deadlift - 365 lbs

Nothing spectacular here, but some progress on all lifts. I stopped voluntarily at 315 yesterday as I still had more stuff to do for legs and didn't want to completely exhaust myself. Plus, my form was beginning to break down, so I stopped there. Tried a 370 deadlift the other day and failed. That bench PR is from early December/late November, I believe. Here's to big numbers in 2014.

| letterboxd

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm

That video was annoying and long.

House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:13 am

Immaculate wrote:
That video was annoying and long.

Racist.

| letterboxd

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 am

B-Side wrote:
1RM Maxes for 2013:

Deadlift - 365 lbs

370 and it went up a little easier than that one. Want 4 hundo by June.

| letterboxd

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Jeez. I just try to manage 10 pull-ups before my arms turn into jelly.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Jeez. I just try to manage 10 pull-ups before my arms turn into jelly.

What if I told you I can't do 10 pull ups? Cuz I can't. I can do maybe 4 or 5 chin ups before failing.

| letterboxd

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 am

A week and a half through the workout B-Side sent me via the internet. Enjoying it quick a bit! I was sore as hell last week but that's expected. Broke my deadlift cherry as well.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am

James Ford wrote:
A week and a half through the workout B-Side sent me via the internet. Enjoying it quick a bit! I was sore as hell last week but that's expected. Broke my deadlift cherry as well.

Awesome. Keep us updated. And don't be shy about showing numbers. It can be cool to document your progress.

| letterboxd

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Is it potentially dangerous to go for a run at the gym and then walk back to my car in freezing temps?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

The Last Baron wrote:
Is it potentially dangerous to go for a run at the gym and then walk back to my car in freezing temps?

You might cramp up a bit. I've done it many times and I've had no problems. You'll be fine.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:57 pm

You might get attacked by a pterodactyl. I've done it many times and I've had numerous problems. You won't be fine.

| letterboxd

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Dammit. Well I'm doing it anyway.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

B-Side wrote:
1RM Maxes for 2013:

Bench - 215 lbs
Squat - 315 lbs
Deadlift - 365 lbs

Bench - 225 lbs
Squat - 325 lbs
Deadlift - 370 lbs

Going back to the drawing board with deadlifts. I've been way too lenient with my form breakdown. Really struggling to find my optimal leverage and stance/variation. I am virtually parallel to the floor when trying to deadlift with the standard stance. If I drop lower, my hips will shoot up long before my torso can catch up. Tried sumo and it kinda works, but I'm having trouble getting low enough with those as well. Having a crazy wide stance is not comfortable and I can feel my hip flexors and hamstrings weakening as I get into position. I'm likely more quad dominant, but I struggle a lot with maintaining a neutral spine throughout the entire lift. I always end up dragging the weight up with my shoulders rolled forward. I'm working on it, though.

| letterboxd

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Ver, my new routine to get as ripped as emraan. any tips, pointers, critiques?

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I got a fitbit at work today via raffle, I'm going vegan monday - and goddamn February is OVAH. Bring on the spring and fresh air, I can't til the sidewalks are clear and the temperatures are above 25f so I can exercise outside.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Yes. The only benefit of having to do my running at the gym is watching Gilmore Girls on CTS

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 am

breakthrough! couldn't find two of the big blocks so used a medium and a small to top it up. I don't know exactly how high it is but it's a good 3 or 4 inches higher than my usual jump I think. I was able to do it quite easily, although I'm not sure if I have the stamina to do quick reps on this height yet without missing and hurting myself. realised on two other recordings that I was splaying my legs quite dramatically in an out-and-quickly-in motion, so I've been working on getting good form with my legs and feet closer together for the whole range of motion. did 100 of these, hadn't jumped in over a week so i'm feeling tired but buzzy and good now:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 5151616682

* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston
The Love Witch / Biller
Edward Hopper / Peck
Les signes / Green
Time and Tide / Hutton
* Ordinary Matter / Frampton
Vertical Features Remake / Greenaway
* Chickens / Amiralay

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 am

I've started doing Insanity Workout and it's fun because I like to growl "INSAAAAANITY WORKOUTTTTTT" and punch the air while doing it.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:26 am
Profile WWW

insanity is good if you don't like gains

| letterboxd

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:25 pm

B-Side wrote:
What if I told you I can't do 10 pull ups? Cuz I can't. I can do maybe 4 or 5 chin ups before failing.
1-finger pull-ups is where it's at.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:43 pm

My fingers have amazing muscle bellies.

| letterboxd

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:44 pm

been trying to shed some pounds by eating healthy but it's not working. for the older folk, at what age did you have to exercise if you wanted to lose weight? i might be officially old now

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Calories in, calories out. If you're in a deficit, you will lose weight even if you're 100.

| letterboxd

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:25 pm

B-Side wrote:
insanity is good if you don't like gains

I'm just trying to look slimmer, I don't care 'bout MUSCLES.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:12 am
Profile WWW

B-Side wrote:
Calories in, calories out. If you're in a deficit, you will lose weight even if you're 100.

But your metabolism, which affects calories out, changes as you age.....

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 am

flieger wrote:
Ver, my new routine to get as ripped as emraan. any tips, pointers, critiques?

Intensity is too low. You'd have to do that routine for 60+ minutes for decent caloric expenditure. I know you're Nick-Cheung-ing the fork for your post-workout meal but it's not gonna do much. Do your old routine for at least 2 more months:

http://youtu.be/b6vRLormTk0

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 am

KFV wrote:
But your metabolism, which affects calories out, changes as you age.....

Your BMR doesn't change drastically with age. The difference in BMR for a young adult and a 60 year old is around 350 calories. Nothing changes fundamentally about the process. You just require fewer calories to maintain your weight. That is, granted you're not exercising regularly and accumulating lean body mass. You're not middle-aged, so you should have no issues with weight loss barring properly diagnosed medical conditions.

| letterboxd

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I've probably asked this before, but how do you pace yourself when lifting solo at the gym? I'm really used to lifting with a partner and I know I should probably go and figure this out for myself but the neuroses come out at night and I don't know how to end this sentence. Right.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:18 am
Profile WWW

The Last Baron wrote:
I've probably asked this before, but how do you pace yourself when lifting solo at the gym? I'm really used to lifting with a partner and I know I should probably go and figure this out for myself but the neuroses come out at night and I don't know how to end this sentence. Right.

Terminate your work sets when you have 1-4 reps (with proper form) left in the tank. Stopping sets with only 1 rep rates about a 9 out of 10 on an intensity scale; 2-4 reps left rates about an 8 out of 10.

For rest intervals, about 2-3 minutes are recommended for moderately heavy weights (loads at which you can get 5-8 reps in), 3-5 minutes (even up to 10 mins) are recommended for heavy loads (1-5 reps), about 30-90 seconds for lighter loads (12-20 reps).

I'm not sure if that's the kind of info you were looking for, though.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:49 am

I'm just trying to not look like an asshole by hogging the machine or panicking because god forbid if someone asks me to rotate in and I end up going too fast and hurting myself.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:17 am
Profile WWW

thinking of you

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:40 am

:lol:

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 am

*thinking of you and your current regimen*

Image Image

Image Image
Image Image

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:22 pm

flieger wrote:
thinking of you

this killed me

Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next