It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 1432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
 Fitness 
Post Re: Fitness

Mod Hip wrote:
Light the Immaculate signal!

I always guzzled one after. Really need to get back in the gym, myself. I'm down to around 197# now, but... well, the Nintendo 3DS doubles as a pedometer so I've made sure to keep it on me at most times to track what I'll call my "activity" and it's reassured me that yeah, I'm one lazy bastard. Unless my daughter's home or I'm at work I barely clock 300 steps in a day and that's just between my computer chair and the fridge.

I have not been as active as I've been in the last month in...my entire life? Well, except perhaps that one summer I was on a swim team like 10 years ago.

I just started with a personal trainer last week. Two days a week. Then the three or four other days of the week I'm at the gym it's 30-40 minutes of cardio.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:29 am

I would make mine fresh upon getting home from the gym - they don't take but a minute or two to whip together. Well, depends on how you do 'em, I guess. I'm no expert in the kitchen so some ice, some fruit, some milk and some protein powder and I was good to go.

Oh yeah, I caught something in the Hamsterdam about your new trainer. He still kicking your ass as hard or was that just the first visit?

last.fm

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:29 am
Profile WWW

plain wrote:

I'm assuming you're doing weight training?

Yeah, starting out at two sessions a week right now.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 am

Mod Hip wrote:
I would make mine fresh upon getting home from the gym - they don't take but a minute or two to whip together. Well, depends on how you do 'em, I guess. I'm no expert in the kitchen so some ice, some fruit, some milk and some protein powder and I was good to go.

Only thing is I always go straight to work from the gym.

My mom has some chocolate flavored powder so I was gonna throw in some almond milk and maybe a banana.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 am

Yeah, by "fruit" I mean banana. Tried using strawberry once and didn't go so well. Just banana and milk is delicious with the powder, though :D

last.fm

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 am
Profile WWW

Smoothies are, like, the best food though in general.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 am

I need more fruit in my life. I've started trying to lose some weight by cutting back on my portions and playing basketball at a gym three days a week. RD getting in shape. eww.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 am
Profile WWW

I've been going through bananas and apples like it ain't no thang.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 am

Strawberries :heart:

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

I think Fruit just kind of rules in general. Need to get some.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:57 am
Profile WWW

Mod Hip wrote:
Light the Immaculate signal!

oh hai!

The advice here is pretty much on point: you're better off having it after, Alice, with your preworkout meal being something that's from a good carbohydrate source (one that you're familiar with as to allow for easy and comfortable digestion). Postworkout, however, is an important time to ingest some carbs as well, for your insulin levels drop during exercise. In this, fruit works, as it offers some natural sugars that are broken down quickly. I, personally, like to use a little Hershey's syrup in my shakes, though; it tastes more like a reward for a good workout that way.

And yes, Rdog, fruit pretty much does rule in general...if we're not counting vegetables. :D

House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Bumping this to force myself to go exercise RIGHT NOW. Bike, abs, freeweights...GO -

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

I've been hovering around 198. I'd love to be, like, 185. Never gonna happen while working full time, parenting full time, being a magazine writer/editor and dealing with this pesky film obsession. Really though, need to get back in the gym at least twice a week (he said, knowing it wouldn't actually happen until his daughter was in proper school and he'd once again undergone a Rocky marathon).

last.fm

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:19 am
Profile WWW

I'm around 190lbs at 6' and not in great shape. The weight is in fat, not muscle. I'm far less active than I am content with. I used to be around 160-175 for the longest time and I hope to get back to that. When I move out next week, I'll be walking basically everywhere, everyday, and I then plan to turn things around.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 am

Living in a big city that rewards constant walking has helped keep my weight down, that's for sure.

I DID go exercise, like I hoped. Biked ten miles, did some abscercises, then weightlifting. Salmon for dinner, too. Healthy night.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 pm

I really need to start working out again but I have had so much back pain the past few weeks it has made it hard to do. I made it down to 202 in November (which would be 185 pounds lost total) but now I am more like 260. I think some of it is muscle because most of my body is still slimmer than I was in the past, but still. :x

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 am

That's too bad, Oak. Amazing that you've lost that much weight, though!

I let an exhausting labor day weekend and hectic work schedule keep me from exercising all last week. Last night, I was so comatose from a weekend of drinking and eating junk, and watching the NFL literally all day, that I forced myself to ride the bike for ten miles, just to sweat out all of the poison I'd consumed. Baby steps.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 am

I joined a boxing gym because I figured it would be a pretty good work out and really don't like cardio if it isn't involved with some sport. Plus short bursts are better than working on an elliptical for an hour and a half. My first day was last week and the following day I could barely move by arms. I'm 168 and 6'

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 am

I've started telling myself that if when I move to a new town I'll join a boxing gym. I'm worried I'll be intimidated by more hardcore members, though.

last.fm

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:22 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, how'd you like it, Andrew? I've always wanted to train like a boxer, seems like a great overall workout.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 am

Derninan wrote:
Yeah, how'd you like it, Andrew? I've always wanted to train like a boxer, seems like a great overall workout.

I've been just hitting the heavy bag, and jump roping so far. They show you how to hit the bag properly so you don't hurt yourself. Its the repeated bursts of energy that really wear you down quickly. I've only been 3 times so far.

Speaking of fitness, has anyone participated in a tough mudder race? That seems fun.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 am

Andrew Ryan wrote:
I've been just hitting the heavy bag, and jump roping so far. They show you how to hit the bag properly so you don't hurt yourself. Its the repeated bursts of energy that really wear you down quickly. I've only been 3 times so far.

What's the atmosphere like? Lots of tough beefy dumb guys trying to knock you down? Old guy in a worn cap chewing an unlit cigar in the corner? Jersey types coming in demanding rent and/or match fixes? I don't know if I want to do this, anymore...

last.fm

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:35 am
Profile WWW

Mod Hip wrote:
What's the atmosphere like? Lots of tough beefy dumb guys trying to knock you down? Old guy in a worn cap chewing an unlit cigar in the corner? Jersey types coming in demanding rent and/or match fixes? I don't know if I want to do this, anymore...

Its like any other gym. There are some really serious people there and some who are clueless. You have the option on paying for lessons or just access to the place. If you are at the gym, you are there to do a job. It doesn't really matter who is around you. At least thats what I think.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:53 am

Derninan wrote:
That's too bad, Oak. Amazing that you've lost that much weight, though!

I let an exhausting labor day weekend and hectic work schedule keep me from exercising all last week. Last night, I was so comatose from a weekend of drinking and eating junk, and watching the NFL literally all day, that I forced myself to ride the bike for ten miles, just to sweat out all of the poison I'd consumed. Baby steps.

Do you bike in a gym or outside?

I love to bike, in fact I've been biking home from work a lot. 35 miles each time.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 am
Profile WWW

i've been doing some walking/jogging pretty much every day for the last 6 weeks. i've manged to lose 12lbs so far. still a ways to go before i'm satisfied, but progress! and i'm actually sticking with it for once.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 am

I've been eating loads of cookies and pasta and muffins instead.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December has begun. Total: 50 pull-ups.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:43 am

Hank wrote:
Do you bike in a gym or outside?

I love to bike, in fact I've been biking home from work a lot. 35 miles each time.

Somehow missed this back in September. Stationary bike, unfortunately. I should get a bike to ride around the city; maybe when spring 2012 hits. In the meantime, the 10-miles-a-day routine has become...well, rather routine, even on high resistance. Should probably bump it up to 15 miles a day.

I do ride outdoors on occasion. Went to Denver recently and rode all over that city, thanks to their bike-sharing program. That and walking are easily my favorite ways to get around; shame driving and flying are so much faster.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Fuck cars.

It's been a bit too foggy or rainy to really get out and ride recently, but I get out whenever I can.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Immaculate wrote:
Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December has begun. Total: 50 pull-ups.

That's Tebow-esque.

I miss being in shape. I went from 145 to 180+ in the past two years. I just recenty got back into the gym and slowly getting back into a routine.

:-|

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:35 am

I drank all of the alcohol and ate all of the food at the house I was looking after for the last couple weeks and undid months and months of exercise. :-/

Uggghhhh. We should change the 'i' in 'Fitness' to an 'a'.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 am

Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December total: 150 pull-ups.
intherealmofsense wrote:
I miss being in shape. I went from 145 to 180+ in the past two years. I just recenty got back into the gym and slowly getting back into a routine.

:-|

Assuming you were in decent shape prior to the weight gain, you should return to a higher level of fitness fairly quickly, at least in comparison to an outright beginner. Our bodies, despite refusing to sustain any metabolic or functional efficiency that we accrue through exercise, tends to adapt to exercise-induced stressors faster when a baseline level of fitness has previously been achieved.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:30 am

I joined a gym a few weeks ago. Yeaaaaaaaah.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Immaculate wrote:
Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December total: 150 pull-ups.

Assuming you were in decent shape prior to the weight gain, you should return to a higher level of fitness fairly quickly, at least in comparison to an outright beginner. Our bodies, despite refusing to sustain any metabolic or functional efficiency that we accrue through exercise, tends to adapt to exercise-induced stressors faster when a baseline level of fitness has previously been achieved.

Depends on your definition of decent. I never did much cardio beyond playing basketball 2/3 times a week back then, but I was a "good" 145, especially in comparison to what I was able to lift/pull/etc. I always neglected my legs though so I'm suffering for that now, and trying to make up for it. I think my biggest regret is being able to do my fair share up pulls(15-20 sets) to now being able to do none. And that isn't easy to get back.

But you give me some (false) hope!

Quote:
I joined a gym a few weeks ago. Yeaaaaaaaah.

High five!

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 pm

hey

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December total: 250 pull-ups.
intherealmofsense wrote:
Depends on your definition of decent.

Above baseline fitness levels of an average sedentary individual.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 am

Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December total: 300 pull-ups.

I also did resistance training for legs earlier for the first time in a while. Previously I had been running and doing quite a bit of cardio, during which I tempered my lower-body work. Today's session was nothing crazy, mind you: Light squatting, leg curls, jump squats, stiff-legged deadlifts, lunges, and some calve work. Still, I am going to be so, so sore tomorrow.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:38 am

I biked 5.5 miles. Good for my lazy self.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 am

That's great! Outside? Inside? Road bike? Mountain bike? Hills? I hate hills. I wish hills would just die.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Derninan wrote:
Somehow missed this back in September. Stationary bike, unfortunately. I should get a bike to ride around the city; maybe when spring 2012 hits. In the meantime, the 10-miles-a-day routine has become...well, rather routine, even on high resistance. Should probably bump it up to 15 miles a day.

I do ride outdoors on occasion. Went to Denver recently and rode all over that city, thanks to their bike-sharing program. That and walking are easily my favorite ways to get around; shame driving and flying are so much faster.

Woo!

Good thing you didnt come this week. We're getting our third snow storm in 4 days tonigh so obviously its not good to ride outside right now.

Diabolique (Clouzot, 1955)
Chronicle (Trank, 2012)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001)
Ponyo (Miyazaki, 2008)

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Immaculate wrote:
That's great! Outside? Inside? Road bike? Mountain bike? Hills? I hate hills. I wish hills would just die.

Gym. On random. I was sweaty.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:56 pm

ledfloyd wrote:
i've been doing some walking/jogging pretty much every day for the last 6 weeks. i've manged to lose 12lbs so far. still a ways to go before i'm satisfied, but progress! and i'm actually sticking with it for once.

got this up to 26 and then holidays and laziness have knocked it back down to about 22. gotta get back into it.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December total: 350 pull-ups.
ledfloyd wrote:
got this up to 26 and then holidays and laziness have knocked it back down to about 22. gotta get back into it.

22 is still nothing to sneeze at. Nicely done.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 am

Fifty-Pull-Ups-Per-Day December total: 450 pull-ups. Eclipsing five-hundo today.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:59 am

Immaculate wrote:
22 is still nothing to sneeze at. Nicely done.

it's not, but i don't want to fall back into old habits and end up where i started out.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:55 am

today i climbed some stairs instead of taking the escalator. FITNESS.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 am

My routine is hitting a wall, I think. Gotta mix it up, but not sure what to do. Cardio definitely needs some variance, I've been spending too much time on the bike. I've abandoned running for the past few months because of my knees, though I'm not sure the bike is any better for them. Maybe I'll have to do some elliptical work, or perhaps I'll swim laps, but that requires going to a gym every day instead of using the tiny space in my building. Maybe I'll just pick fights on the street with people in seemingly good shape (they can probably go the distance).

I live on the third floor, rouge, and I'm wayyyy too proud of myself when I take the stairs. :D

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:13 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
today i climbed some stairs instead of taking the escalator. FITNESS.

This is my fitness life, basically.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:14 am

Derninan wrote:
My routine is hitting a wall, I think.
That's not a good way to develop muscle.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:15 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
That's not a good way to develop muscle.

You're on a roll today brb laughing fit, busy snorting my coffee all around

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 1432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next