It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Fitness 
Post Re: Fitness

I could knock off 1200 calories by not eating for a day. That's more time-saving-y than your idea, dreiser.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:23 am

Blevo wrote:
This is my current weekly workout routine, I never miss a day. I start my lifting days with 10 minutes of cardio to get my heart up to 90% of my max.

Phew! I'll probably be referencing that list from time to time. Where do you work out - do you have your own set-up? Right now I've got pretty much what I mentioned... the Body By Jake door gym (with just the three standard resistance bands that came with it), the currently-out-of-service Bosu Ball, the weighted gloves, the five-pound weights and the hoverboarding video game. At the community gym there is a treadmill, an elliptical, a stationary bike, a set of freeweights, a chest press machine and a cable machine. I haven't tried the cable machine yet.

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:23 am
Profile WWW

Walk, walk, fashion baby.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:24 am
Profile WWW

getrhythm wrote:

k neat

It was a joke about a post you made once re: a deep dish pizza you were eating.

Never mind.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:24 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I could knock off 1200 calories by not eating for a day. That's more time-saving-y than your idea, dreiser.

Sounds like a very healthy solution, Genie. Knock yourself out.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:25 am

Mod Hip wrote:

Phew! I'll probably be referencing that list from time to time. Where do you work out - do you have your own set-up? Right now I've got pretty much what I mentioned... the Body By Jake door gym (with just the three standard resistance bands that came with it), the currently-out-of-service Bosu Ball, the weighted gloves, the five-pound weights and the hoverboarding video game. At the community gym there is a treadmill, an elliptical, a stationary bike, a set of freeweights, a chest press machine and a cable machine. I haven't tried the cable machine yet.

The gym in town has everything I need. Sometimes I run outdoors for cardio day though.

Nextprojection.com

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:25 am

dreiser wrote:

It was a joke about a post you made once re: a deep dish pizza you were eating.

Never mind.

Oh, jokes? I get those!

Yeeeah, guilty. :P

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:28 am

Andrew Ryan wrote:
I got a desk job which can be an easy way to put on weight if you are doing it 40 hours a day and eating poorly.

You should have gotten the Slendertone Flex belt that sends surprisingly strong electric waves through your abs, making them work out on their own without any effort put in on your part! How do I know the waves are surprisingly strong? I bought one when I was playing more video games than one probably should... I regret nothing!

Seriously though, good stuff regarding the nutrition and all. I don't know much about cooking myself, but I am very fortunate to have a girlfriend that is very knowledgeable about good nutrition and she's kind of been my coach through this past month. I am eating whatever I want for dinner from burgers to steaks to pizza (which is on the docket in just a moment here...) but for the rest of the day I'm watching things (even if my metabolism kick-starter in the morning is a cream cheese bagel... at least it's 1/3rd fat cream cheese and a wheat bagel... I guess).

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:31 am
Profile WWW

Ooo, I'll be following this thread.

I may have the benefits of youth on my side, when I was in high school I could never gain any weight, and had a very gangly build no matter what I ate. I'm sure I was in poor health then, but decided to start exercising for other, more aesthetic reasons.

I generally run 10 miles a week (2 miles a day) and lift weights 3 to 4 times a week, changing the workouts every 6 weeks or so. I joined my school's boxing club which adds about 1.5-2 hours of cardio 2 times a week (though we're off for the summer, so I'm just training in my spare time now). Living at college makes avoiding processed foods difficult but avoiding caffeine, alcohol, red meat, refined sugar and white grains to allow more wiggle room. Though changing my diet has been a slow process, it wasn't until recently that I cut out frozen chicken (like Tyson). I also eat two servings of Kashi GoLean every day which helps immensely even if it is very, very bland.

Though I'll be sticking around for better tips from you guys.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 am

Kashi GoLean is superfood.

Nextprojection.com

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 am

The GoLean Crunch and Crisp taste better, but I still swear by the original.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:00 am

This thread is too long to read. I will address any specific fitness-related questions though. *tips cap*

House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Snake Eyes (De Palma, 1998)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 am

My girlfriend pretty much lives on Kashi GoLean. I've been doing store-brand Cheerios, which really don't have much but fiber... so I'll have to see if she can start picking up some extra for me, too.

I'm in this for tips, myself. Speaking of good cereal and the stuff that comes in it... what do you guys typically do as far as pre/during/post -workout? I try to get some protein before the workout but really I'm just guessing there because I don't know what makes for a good pre- food. During, if I'm going for a long time, that is, I'll do a banana for the glucose and all the other wonderful stuff that comes in tasty, tasty bananas (I actually looked up whether eating the peel would be beneficial or not and more or less determined that while there's likely some good stuff in there, it's not worth the risk unless you're sure you're buying organic and you've washed them thoroughly) and for post I'll try to load up on whatever protein I can get via cottage cheese, milk w/whey powder or... well, whatever's there. I've been trying to wait about 45 minutes after the workout since I've heard that's ideal but typically get too hungry >_>... I don't really know if any of this is accurate and I haven't been doing it long enough to see if it's helping.

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 am
Profile WWW

Mod Hip wrote:
...what do you guys typically do as far as pre/during/post -workout? I try to get some protein before the workout but really I'm just guessing there because I don't know what makes for a good pre- food. During, if I'm going for a long time, that is, I'll do a banana for the glucose and all the other wonderful stuff that comes in tasty, tasty bananas (I actually looked up whether eating the peel would be beneficial or not and more or less determined that while there's likely some good stuff in there, it's not worth the risk unless you're sure you're buying organic and you've washed them thoroughly) and for post I'll try to load up on whatever protein I can get via cottage cheese, milk w/whey powder or... well, whatever's there. I've been trying to wait about 45 minutes after the workout since I've heard that's ideal but typically get too hungry >_>... I don't really know if any of this is accurate and I haven't been doing it long enough to see if it's helping.

Most position statements that I've read suggest - and this is all relevant to what purpose the nutrient timing is serving, what your training goals are, and what your typical caloric/macronutrient breakdown looks like - some sort of whole food meal about 1.5-2 hours pre-workout. This should be primarily made up of complex carbohydrate with a little additional protein but, perhaps more importantly, it should be a food your body is used to digesting. Afterward, in your case, you're waiting far too long. Again, position statements that I've come across suggest an ingestion of carbohydrates almost immediately following a workout and, in the case of longer aerobic bouts, even before exercise completion. If I'm not mistaken, carbohydrate and protein meals should follow this about an hour after you consume your typical post-workout nutrition but if you goal is to create a caloric deficiency, I'd suggest waiting 1.5-2 hours. More meals of similar macronutrient breakdowns should follow every two hours. Adjust protein intake accordingly if you're doing resistance training for the purpose of hypertrophy or strength gains.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

L'avventuraLa Dolce VitaMy Darling ClementineMaster of the HouseBreaking the WavesPersona

Prereviewed

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 am

Hey, thanks Immaculate - most of that made sense, I think. Are you a personal trainer or nutritionist or just really interested in this stuff or...?

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 am
Profile WWW

Mod Hip wrote:
Hey, thanks Immaculate - most of that made sense, I think. Are you a personal trainer or nutritionist or just really interested in this stuff or...?

Kinesiology student at Penn State. Will graduate next year and will, hopefully, go on to training and paying my way through grad school so I can get my Masters in phys ed. That, and I'm really interested in this stuff. If anything didn't make sense I'd be happy to clarify it for you. It's just hard to give nutritional advice without knowing the exercise protocol that someone's using and what they're trying to achieve.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23 am

I always found this worked out for me:

Eat lunch.

Work out.

Eat dinner.

I guess ie's regimen works as well if you have a lab kit to carry with you to the gym.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:27 am

LEAVES wrote:
I guess ie's regimen works as well if you have a lab kit to carry with you to the gym.

-Carbs and protein 2 hours before workout
-Carbs and protein immediately after workout, then again one hour later

It's really not too hard.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:31 am

Totally understood. I'm 6' 2", currently 198#... a month ago I was 210# but I've been drilling myself with cardio and doing crunches/freeweights when I can. I'm trying to lose some extra weight and tone... don't really feel the need to become a musclebeast but it'd be nice to get some definition in my upper body. The main thing that threw me in your previous post was the 'macronutrient' thing. Also, I've actually never heard about carbs AFTER a workout - I learned about carb-loading when I was wrestling in high school but never really knew what it did for your body exactly... just did what the other, more experienced wrestlers were doing. With my girlfriend being the main source of knowledge about this sorta thing right now, I'm doing things that are really suggested for a woman's makeup... but I'm going for it simply because it seems more beneficial than not and I figure something dietary is better than just working out and doing everything else normally. I have tried doing some of my own research but I quickly get search engine overload syndrome.

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 am
Profile WWW

Immaculate wrote:
-Carbs and protein 2 hours before workout
-Carbs and protein immediately after workout, then again one hour later

It's really not too hard.
6 meals per day is difficult. I prefer the working man's diet. Eat work eat.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 am

Mod Hip, I'm going to watch the Braves play at my local club. I'll respond to your post tomorrow morning.
LEAVES wrote:
6 meals per day is difficult. I prefer the working man's diet. Eat work eat.

I agree that 6 can be difficult. Eating something before and something after is fine, just not optimal. I really only pay attention to the fine details to counterbalance my alcohol consumption anyway.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 am

Immaculate wrote:
Mod Hip, I'm going to watch the Braves play at my local club. I'll respond to your post tomorrow morning.

Sounds good, duderino. Enjoy :up:

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 am
Profile WWW

I usually just make do with whatever was for lunch/dinner plus a pre-workout banana, then a shake and some Kashi post-workout (though now that I'm home, I may make a fourth meal too). So I really don't pay attention.

Another topic; what do you guys suggest to prevent injury? I typically make do with flaxseed oil, sometimes fish oil.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 am

Immaculate wrote:
I really only pay attention to the fine details to counterbalance my alcohol consumption anyway.

That's a lot of counterbalancing.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 am

ZombieHeston wrote:
Another topic; what do you guys suggest to prevent injury?

Stretching.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:53 am

ZombieHeston wrote:
Another topic; what do you guys suggest to prevent injury? I typically make do with flaxseed oil, sometimes fish oil.

I haven't even considered this... hurt me! ...o_o;;

I used to take fish oil but there are only so many pills I can afford each month and right now I'm sticking with my multivitamin and testing out this glucosamine. I thought about getting the Smart Balance milk that's loaded with omega3s but... almost $7 a gallon? Screw that, yo.

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 am
Profile WWW

Immaculate wrote:
I agree that 6 can be difficult. Eating something before and something after is fine, just not optimal. I really only pay attention to the fine details to counterbalance my alcohol consumption anyway.
I don't have any kind of concerns on that front, and I'm not looking to optimize the building of muscle. All I really care about is cardiovascular fitness in part so as to not die and in part so as to not be hindered. Strength, for me, is just for my ego. I don't play football anymore, so it's inconsequential.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:10 am

Ah, yes. I'm back jogging again, and hopefully I can keep it up for the summer at least.

When it comes to eating I focus on carbs and protein. And fiber when I can. I might slowly phase out all soda consumption soon. I'm already sort of 'half-way' there because I completely abstain from caffeine. I have to. I am too sensitive to it.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm far too lazy for any of this.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Trip wrote:
I'm far too lazy for any of this.

+1

A Film By...Sprinter's ListSubtitled (in memories)Poster Extravaganza

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Mod - what is a door gym? And why did your high school require mandatory sports teams. I have never heard of that before, usually you just have to take 2 years or semesters of gym.

I agree that Stallone has it going on in the body department. They should cover him in plaster.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Vivacious J wrote:
Mod - what is a door gym? And why did your high school require mandatory sports teams. I have never heard of that before, usually you just have to take 2 years or semesters of gym.

A 'door gym' is something you fasten to the top and bottom of your door with three varying 'resistance bands' running vertically - you can strap handles to the different bands and do all kinds of different workouts. My girlfriend is far better at coming up with effective things to do on there... I mostly just work my arms/shoulders on it. Here's a link to what we have: http://www.officialtower200.com/default ... bbj1003#ic (though, warning... it's gonna play an annoying video for you and then prompt you to buy when you try to navigate away).

As for the school, it was a boarding school (I went because my father's a teacher/administrator and I got free tuition... ain't rich enough to afford that kind of thing otherwise...) based on character development. Actually, it's geared toward 'troubled teens' but it's a fairly solid place for just about anyone (and again, free tuition). So with their whole character development thing, they required sports. Thankfully for some, drama counted as a sport.

Quote:
I agree that Stallone has it going on in the body department. They should cover him in plaster.

Or honey... yum.

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

I should probably look into doing some form of upper-body training. Skinny as a rail up there.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Mod Hip wrote:

A 'door gym' is something you fasten to the top and bottom of your door with three varying 'resistance bands' running vertically - you can strap handles to the different bands and do all kinds of different workouts.

In the Middle Ages they called those "The Rack."

The Ghost Writer B
Zodiac A-
Easy A B

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 pm
Profile WWW

Mod Hip wrote:
Here's a link to what we have: http://www.officialtower200.com/default ... bbj1003#ic (though, warning... it's gonna play an annoying video for you and then prompt you to buy when you try to navigate away).

I figure this might be an easier way to show it (if the hotlink works, anyway) since that website is really, really annoying...

It being an as-seen-on-tv thing, though, there's always some way they "getcha" and in this case it's that it only comes with the three lightest resistance bands and you have to buy more if you want heavier stuff... but that's okay... at this point I'm a less-weight, more-reps kinda guy and the thickest default band gets pretty tough depending on what you're doing on there. It's a better "getcha" than the Slendertone Flex that tried (and... er... succeeded... for a few months...) to get me to sign up for a "subscription" to replacement gel pads to transmit the electric waves to my abdominals.

last.fm

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 pm
Profile WWW

Kashi Go Lean is a tasty cereal - I've never thought of it as bland. All Bran (I *think* that's what it's called) is so bland and dense that it absorbs all of the milk and you practically have to drink a glass of water between bites.

Now, some of my random opinions on food and nutrition:

*Most cereals are not a good idea for "nutrition." They are simple to create moneymakers for companies to sell. In my opinion and from the info I've read, fresh fruit in the morning with either herbal tea, water, fresh juice (from a juicer) is the best thing. Some whole grains with the fruit is fine too.

*Supplements like oils you should just buy in liquid form, store in the fridge and take a spoonful. The only pills worth investing in are organic herbal supplements for specific needs you have, also CLA and those types of things are fine. But not ABCD types of vitamins. You should get vitamins from FOOD, not a pill. The supplement industry is not regulated well at all, it's frightening what they put in those pills. Even if they are quality brand vitamins, your body doesn't absorb a pill the same way it absorbs real vitamins from real foods like fruits and vegetables. Concentrating on eating a colorful mix of fruits and vegetables everyday is a much smarter option.

*Soy is another $$$$ industry and you have to watch because a lot of it is genetically modified so they can grow a bunch and cash in. It should be eaten in moderation.

*I'm also of the opinion that cow's milk is difficult for human bodies to digest so avoiding it all together or limiting it is a good idea. Limiting dairy is a good idea but yeah it's tough because cheese and ice cream are so delicious. I eat a lot of goat cheeses and goat yogurt. Goat's milk is easier to digest, it's a smaller animal. If I was a disciplined person I'd cut dairy out completely - I've done it during a cleanse before - but I'm too much of a foodie to cut it out on a permanent basis.

*That said, "low calorie/low fat" reduced "diet" foods are a fool's paradise. Eat the real thing, enjoy yourself, enjoy the taste in moderation. If you base your diet on fruits and vegetables you can eat these "bad" foods like real butter and it won't matter. "Fake" or diet foods, on the other hand, have a zillion unpronounceable chemical ingredients that your body has to deal with. Not good.

*If you can buy something fresh, buy it fresh. It's the way nature intended and there's more nutrients.

dreiser wrote:

Stretching.

:up:

Question for Immaculate: Stretch before AND after? Or light cardio warm-up before and stretch after? I've heard conflicting info about this. What are the pros saying these days?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks Mod! I have seen those before. I remember watching Body by Jake in Middle and High School sometimes. Jake was funny/cheesy as hell and used to always say "grab your dumbbells or mama's tomato cans." Anyone else remember that?

Netflix Instant has a bunch of exercise stuff to watch. Most of the stuff I bookmarked is geared toward women but there's probably manly stuff in there too. Not that I've ever watched any of it, just found a bunch and saved them a year ago. ha.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Quick answer tonight: stretching is overrated. Do dynamic range of motion (DROM) exercises before working out to warm up muscles and increase joint lubrication, but doing static stretching before actual bouts of exercise tends to reduce strength output without preventing additional injuries.

Tangerine (Baker, 2015)

Reviewed

Prereviewed

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Immaculate wrote:
Quick answer tonight: stretching is overrated. Do dynamic range of motion (DROM) exercises before working out to warm up muscles and increase joint lubrication, but doing static stretching before actual bouts of exercise tends to reduce strength output without preventing additional injuries.

That's what I had read, but what about stretching after? I don't know about what the studies say but I find it very important. Being flexible is underrated.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Immaculate wrote:
If you warm up before you stretch it does help, though, right? If you don't think so, I don't trust your sources. Also, I don't know what DROM means. Sounds like an acronym to convince people that you know what you're talking about without having to tell anyone what you're talking about.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Gel pads and electric waves. Hmm. Just beat up a truck tire with a sledgehammer.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:09 pm

From what I've heard/read, stretching after exercise is much more important than stretching before exercise. I need to stretch more, I feel like it's the part of my routine I neglect the most.
Mod Hip wrote:

Nice, dude! I do hope this thread might become a place where those interested can report about fitness-related goings-on in our lives and perhaps even discuss results if we're not too self-conscious. The workout you posted sounds more intense than what I've been doing. I'm somewhat limited by having a baby... but, really, that's more an excuse than anything else... shame on me! It's rather cool you're doing the basketball thing as part of a workout. I looked up a boxing work-out that on Men's Health claims to, if effectively executed on a regular basis with incremental increases in the duration of its components, turn your body into that of a "bruiser" in a few months. I haven't been doing it out-right... but it was helpful to have looked up. Here's the link, if you or anyone else is interested: http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitness/s ... 00cee793cd

Thanks for the link. I may try that out, but my body is more a "bruiser" type, already, I guess. I'm just built that way, tall and big, strong arms and chest. My bigger concern is losing unnecessary fat, but I'm always open to new routines.

I worry about joint issues, too, especially when I run. I can feel it in my knees, popping and such. Basketball's not good for that either - jumping vertically constantly. I feel like they're gonna pop one day.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:09 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about basketball ruining your knees due to jumping. Pros play into their 40s. If your body can't carry your own weight - then you need to worry about your knees no matter what you do.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:18 pm

LEAVES wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about basketball ruining your knees due to jumping. Pros play into their 40s. If your body can't carry your own weight - then you need to worry about your knees no matter what you do.

It's mainly from the running, I can just feel it when I land on vertical jumps, mostly going up for rebounds. It's not something that hurts, though, at least not yet. Also, most professional athletes are in much better shape than I am. And a lot of them do wear down from knee damage (poor Kevin Garnett).

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Derninan wrote:
It's mainly from the running, I can just feel it when I land on vertical jumps, mostly going up for rebounds. It's not something that hurts, though, at least not yet. Also, most professional athletes are in much better shape than I am. And a lot of them do wear down from knee damage (poor Kevin Garnett).
Most people who are seven feet or taller have knee problems no matter what they do. It comes with being seven feet tall. Mutombo played until he was 42 or something. Jogging is bad on the knees, but I've never heard basketball to be a knee-killer. You usually absorb impact better on each jump than on each jogging step, and during sprinting the impact is not high at all (higher rate of footfall per second).

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:33 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Most people who are seven feet or taller have knee problems no matter what they do. It comes with being seven feet tall.

Guys like Jason Kidd, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe Bryant have all had knee problems during their careers. None are taller than 6'6''.

LEAVES wrote:
but I've never heard basketball to be a knee-killer.

Knee injuries are one of the most common injuries for basketball players. Knee and ankle injuries.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Derninan wrote:
Guys like Jason Kidd, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe Bryant have all had knee problems during their careers. None are taller than 6'6''.
I can name plenty of tennis players with knee injuries, too. Obviously any ground sport isn't going to be as low-impact as swimming, but I don't think it's inordinately bad compared to other sports. I'd rather have fun and risk an injury than bore myself to death swimming laps.
Derninan wrote:
Knee injuries are one of the most common injuries for basketball players. Knee and ankle injuries.
Ankle injuries, certainly. However, I don't know that pickup basketball is a big knee injury risk. You don't get nearly as many awkward positions forced on you as you do in the NBA, diving for loose balls and players falling into your legs and taking charges and getting fouled hard to the floor. That's not your typical everyday shootaround stuff.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:50 pm

LEAVES wrote:
I can name plenty of tennis players with knee injuries, too. Obviously any ground sport isn't going to be as low-impact as swimming, but I don't think it's inordinately bad compared to other sports. I'd rather have fun and risk an injury than bore myself to death swimming laps.

Agreed, that's why I'll continue to play, pretty much until I can't anymore.
LEAVES wrote:
Ankle injuries, certainly. However, I don't know that pickup basketball is a big knee injury risk. You don't get nearly as many awkward positions forced on you as you do in the NBA, diving for loose balls and players falling into your legs and taking charges and getting fouled hard to the floor. That's not your typical everyday shootaround stuff.

Yeah, I don't think it's a big injury risk for me, it's just something that I've noticed due to the running I do. And NYC pickup games are no joke, people work their asses off. I had a major ankle injury a few summers back and I've seen some bad falls and hits. People take their basketball very seriously here. Especially up in Harlem.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Derninan wrote:
Agreed, that's why I'll continue to play, pretty much until I can't anymore.Yeah, I don't think it's a big injury risk for me, it's just something that I've noticed due to the running I do. And NYC pickup games are no joke, people work their asses off. I had a major ankle injury a few summers back and I've seen some bad falls and hits. People take their basketball very seriously here. Especially up in Harlem.
Yeah, well, don't play in those games, ha. I'm sure there's friendlier games about. Those guys think they're in the NBA, except for the passing.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:00 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Yeah, well, don't play in those games, ha. I'm sure there's friendlier games about. Those guys think they're in the NBA, except for the passing.

I enjoy those games! Basketball's my strongest sport, and I can hold my own. But yeah...so many selfish fuckers in those games, it's really discouraging. When I get in a game and the team is actually playing, you know, team ball, it's like heaven. So much fun. The high school kids are less selfish, overall, than the older group of guys. Kids who grew up in the 90s had it bad for role models; guys like LeBron James and Steve Nash are bringing unselfish basketball back to the limelight.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next