It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 17024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

I've had recent cravings to revisit the Super Mario Bros. movie. Does anyone else have fond memories of that miscalculated shitheap?

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 am

I remember those two guys that got turned into.....goombas? Or were those goombas? They looked like dinosaurs.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
I remember those two guys that got turned into.....goombas? Or were those goombas? They looked like dinosaurs.

They definitely took some liberties with the character designs.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 am

Yoshi was a raptor with a long tongue.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:37 am
Profile YIM

Mario Bros. movie definitely falls into the so bad it’s funny category for me.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 am

I see they were trying to go the realistic route but It just didn't work. Although that Bomb Omb scene was hilarious. Like really?

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile YIM

That movie was deeply confused about who its audience was supposed to be. "Hey, let's take this lighthearted, primary-color-drenched fairy tale kids' game and turn it into a dark and murky dystopian nightmare with moments of body horror that would make David Cronenberg blush. Would you mind passing the cocaine?"

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:59 am

I can sorta justify the creative decisions given that Mario, uh, lives in Dinosaur Land... Super Mario World is all about Dinosaur Land. I, uh, actually kind of appreciate having these dinosaur mutants in some dank sewer city and have a couple plumbers be the heroes there, it isn't a HUGE stretch from Bowser's leather dom daddy aesthetics. Dennis Hopper is some fine casting for some sewer dinosaur lord... yeah

Cocaine, yeah, lets go with that

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 am

Yeah, the Super Mario Bros. movie was bafflingly terrible, but a more faithful adaptation of the games isn't necessarily destined to succeed, as you can see in this review of the 1986 Super Mario anime:

Love me some Nostalgia Critic. And, I know he just reviewed the amateur fandub of the film, but that voice acting; Ho. Lee. Shit...

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 am

I actually love the shit out of the Mario Bros movie.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 am

Kayden Kross wrote:

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:10 am

Beat Resident Evil 7 which despite having a long list of nitpicks I loved the hell out of it. Started playing it again on Madhouse but dunno how ar I’ll get before I get pissed off or distracted by another game.

Also messed around with The Flame and the Flood which is a pretty standard gathering/crafting survival game.

And I been playing a little Yoshi’s Island on my SNES Classic which is a blast but can be frustrating at times.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 am

Deschain wrote:
Beat Resident Evil 7 which despite having a long list of nitpicks I loved the hell out of it. Started playing it again on Madhouse but dunno how ar I’ll get before I get pissed off or distracted by another game.
Not a fan of the big "choose your own ending" moment in RezE7, eh? :P That was silly, but still, the overall game was a lot of creative, gory, 1st-person Survival Horror fun, and often legitimately creepy/scary, and has actual tension as to whether or not you'll survive the next encounter, something that the main series hasn't had much of in a long, long time...

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Stu wrote:
Not a fan of the big "choose your own ending" moment in RezE7, eh? :P That was silly, but still, the overall game was a lot of creative, gory, 1st-person Survival Horror fun, and often legitimately creepy/scary, and has actual tension as to whether or not you'll survive the next encounter, something that the main series hasn't had much of in a long, long time...

I didn’t mind that part actually. I’d have preferred a little more enemy variety, a longer game, a more interesting protagonist, and a better final boss fight though.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Started Wolfenstein: The New Order. Who did you guys choose to save? And is it that much of a difference and does it play much in Part II?

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm
Profile YIM

Deschain wrote:
I’ve also been dicking around with Secret of Mana on my SNES Classic. It’s a f7n game but maybe the most obnoxious menu system I’ve ever encountered.
One of my favorite SNES games, although it does have glaring flaws: besides that annoying menu system, the boss fights (except for the final one) are too easy. Just slam them with your most powerful spells over and over and they're dead. The soundtrack is killer, though.
Secret of Evermore is also very good. I may like it a little bit more.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 am

Bought the Mega Man Legacy Collection (Games 1-10). Playing thes games pretty much for the first time. Beat 2, 3, and 4, didn't beat 1 because I didn't have an upgrade needed to progress, so I'll gt back to it. Currently on Mega Man 5.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 am

Kayden Kross wrote:

After watching it the other night, I'm happy say that I'm right there with you. I wouldn't even all it a guilty pleasure. I think there's genuine chemistry between Hoskins and Leguizamo, which is funny considering how confused, drunk and miserable they were behind the scenes. I love the creatures, set pieces and grungy dystopian aesthetic. It's the sort of movie that despite having jello for plot, manages to keep me enthralled regardless, much like Dan Ackroyd's Nothing but Trouble. Maybe I'm just a sucker for grotesque nonsense.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:44 am

ERotIC wrote:
Bought the Mega Man Legacy Collection (Games 1-10). Playing thes games pretty much for the first time. Beat 2, 3, and 4, didn't beat 1 because I didn't have an upgrade needed to progress, so I'll gt back to it. Currently on Mega Man 5.
Hey, speaking of Mega Man...

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:27 pm

ERotIC wrote:
Good job on finishing 2. That took me many tries. Just thinking about those laser beams on the Quick Man level makes me break a sweat.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Torgo wrote:
Good job on finishing 2. That took me many tries. Just thinking about those laser beams on the Quick Man level makes me break a sweat.

That part with the dragon man. Whew.

And yeah 11 is looking pretty good from that trailer.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 am

The A.V. Club's favorite games of 2017

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:57 pm

A lot off stuff happens in Wolfenstein 2.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Hadn't checked this thread thinking it would be all new stuff, Xbox and Playstation crap. Glad to see there's a lot of nostalgia here.

Re: Super Mario Bros. movie, for some reason I never saw that, even though I was a teenage fan of the games at the moment, but I guess I should give it a try, if only for laffs.

Re: Mega Man, easily my favorite video game series. Love the shit out of every installment, regardless of how repetitive they might seem. My favorites were the first three and yeah, the Quick Man stage still makes me sweat profusely.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 17024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 337, 338, 339, 340, 341