It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17077 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn. Pure gaming heaven. Cuphead is totally kicking my ass, but it's pretty good as well.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 am

Cuphead is pretty good but didn't leave a huge impression on me. I'll have to replay Alien Soldier to decide which game is better.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:47 am

Yakuza 0 is like Shenmue without all the dull bullshit.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 am

IPlayTheBlameGame wrote:
Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn. Pure gaming heaven. Cuphead is totally kicking my ass, but it's pretty good as well.

I have now put over 72 hours into HZD.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 am

Hollow Knight is quite good. It's essentially a Metroidvania game with Dark Souls elenents, and like that game, the music and atmosphere are completely absorbing. Not entirely recommend if bugs give you the heebie jeebies, however.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 am

Smoke Bomb wrote:
I could probably give you some solid Dark Souls 3 tips, for starters thinking of “farming souls” as grinding in a JRPG, find a bonfire adjacent location that has easier to defeat enemies with a high soul pay out and run a few laps. As for “strats” I’m mainly 2 Handed Blade/Pyromancer so I only know how to play that.
When you say "run laps" is that clearing the area and going back to the bonfire to reset enemy placements? Is this the overall "treadmill" throughout the series? I'm considering my Twitch game right now and fresh playthroughs of the Dark Souls games are good entryways into streaming

Macrology wrote:
Thanks for posting about this, because it prompted me to finally buy a copy of Planescape. Some close friends have raved about it since it came out when we were in high school, but I never got the chance to play it.
I'm excited to hear your thoughts if it grabs hold. Chris Avellone yo, I'm always flabbergasted by his resume. I'm pleased to learn he wrote Prey because the narrative is awesome so far, and he will be writing the System Shock remake.

Spencie Returns wrote:
Not something I'd have jumped at normally, but Titanfall 2 is $11 on Amazon and it just came in the mail. I'm not much for first person shooters but from what I've seen it reminds me of Doom (2016), which I played religiously.
Titanfall 2's campaign is amazing, it's a much different beast than DOOM... it's like playing through the best movie James Cameron never made. Gorgeous, visceral, and the set pieces are mmm. It's hovering around the $10 range on PC so people should buy it

Kenji wrote:
Cuphead is pretty good but didn't leave a huge impression on me. I'll have to replay Alien Soldier to decide which game is better.
Cuphead might be beautiful but Alien Soldier is art

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 am

ultimately I'm playing through GTAV and it's kinda blowing my mind that Rockstar finally made an actual playable video game :shifty:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am

Kenji wrote:
Two stages is preferable but the zones in Sonic 3 / Sonic and Knuckles still go on for far too long. Sonic 2 fares better, but stages like Hilltop, Oil Ocean, and the pointless Sky Chase Zone really drag it down. Emerald Hill Zone is a poor man's Green Hill Zone. I don't like the brighter, Saturday morning aesthetic of Sonic 2 compared to the cooler, "edgier" Sonic 1. Sonic 1 just feels like classic Sega, the type of game that differentiated them from Nintendo. Sonic 2 felt like an attempt to lighten things up, complete with useless sidekick.
Aw, Sonic 3 is my favorite 2-D entry in the series (those graphics! those new power-ups!), and I've always liked the Hilltop, Oil Ocean, and (especially) the Sky Chase Zone levels; they may not be as speedy as Sonic is known for, but I enjoy them for the innovative gameplay concepts and changes of pace that they provide. I feel the first Sonic is the worst of the Genesis entries when it comes to graphics, as they're relatively, dull, rough, and unfinished-looking compared to the next few in the series, as far as I'm concerned.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 am

Uh... huh?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Looks like I will finally maybe get into Dark Souls 1. The PC port is just a garbage fire even with the fix, gimme that 60fps Dark Souls

From what I've gleamed they are updating the game with the Bloodborne/3 engine along with fixing bugs and exploits via the help of a speedrunner, I believe. Cool

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 am

Tropical Freeze tho. GOAT game there. Best Soundtrack.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Tropical Freeze tho. GOAT game there. Best Soundtrack.

I'm so psyched that they're bringing it to the Switch. I never got a Wii U but I loved DKCR and I've heard nothing but great things about Tropical Freeze. Now I'll finally get to play it.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:56 am

I just beat Super Metroid on my SNES Classic for the first time and loved it. Never played a Metroid game before the original on the NES Classic. I liked that one a lot despite it being so cryptic and unforgiving. Super Metroid improves upon the problems of the original making for an excellent game. Can’t wait for Metroid 4!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 am

Deschain wrote:
I just beat Super Metroid on my SNES Classic for the first time and loved it. Never played a Metroid game before the original on the NES Classic. I liked that one a lot despite it being so cryptic and unforgiving. Super Metroid improves upon the problems of the original making for an excellent game. Can’t wait for Metroid 4!
Do you mean Metroid Fusion, or Prime? Or Prime 4?

:oops:

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

Macrology wrote:

I'm so psyched that they're bringing it to the Switch. I never got a Wii U but I loved DKCR and I've heard nothing but great things about Tropical Freeze. Now I'll finally get to play it.

Same here. And, though I played, loved, and finished Dark Souls on the PC, I love that it's coming to the Switch. The user experience is so much better on the Switch. I just adore how easy it is to jump in and play.

Speaking of which, anyone into Rocket League here? I'm amazed that game works as well as it does. It's remarkable.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 am

Stu wrote:
Do you mean Metroid Fusion, or Prime? Or Prime 4?

:oops:

Oh...one of the Nintendo Directs had a teaser for what I thought was just Metroid 4 but it might be from the Prime series.

Love that Tropical Freeze is coming to Switch. Been hearing great things about that game.

As of now I’m playing Steamworld Heist which has two things I love: turn-based strategy, and cowboys in space.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 am

I bought Destiny 2 :shifty:

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 am

Quote:
Speaking of which, anyone into Rocket League here? I'm amazed that game works as well as it does. It's remarkable.

I've seen this game for a while and really want to play it, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks stupidly fun. It's on Switch, right?

And regarding Metroid, I believe the Metroid game coming out for Switch is the 4th in the Prime series.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

Beau wrote:

I'm all about some Rocket League. Played it on PS4 since launch and had to double dip once it came out for Switch. It's honestly one of my favorite games for its insanely lasting appeal. I'll go stretches without playing it but whenever I pick it up again it's like riding a bike.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:14 pm

I play it on the PS4. I play all the time. But I'm all about Rumble. Totes best mode. But if some people wnat to play I'll play regular mode. Even team up for some league play.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am
Profile YIM

I have literally played Horizon: Zero Dawn for 85 hours now, according to the game-clock. Somebody please help me.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 am

Last I left off I was over 100 hours into my New Game+ file. Still need to beat the DLC.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Profile YIM

If I've learned anything from Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's that if Nazis end up taking over the planet, their downfall will come from not facing the doors of their rooms.
Good game, by the way. It has a solid mix of action, stealth and puzzle-solving.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 am

The A.V. Club’s 20 most-anticipated games of 2018

A Way Out looks like it could be incredible, if they can make the central, forced-co-op play gimmick work for it naturally, and not try to force it in no matter what.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Don't worry, folks, if life were Dark Souls, the age of Trump is Blight Town. We'll get through it.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 am

wat

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Stu wrote:

wat

So you’re gonna have a bunch of fucking cardboard lying around there house? How long is that gonna late before it starts deteriorating from overuse?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17077 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342