It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 17210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345  Next
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

I really need to play Far Cry 3 and its spinoff, Blood Dragon.
Far Cry 1 is sort of like Dark Souls in first-person shooter form: frustrating, hard as hell - I smashed a very nice keyboard in frustration because of it - but oh so rewarding when things go your way. I count finishing it as one of my best gaming accomplishments.
Far Cry 2 is fun, albeit for a while. I never completed it. While I like its open-world gameplay, it's not nearly as challenging as the first game and many of the missions are exactly the same, so much so that I lost interest.
From what I've heard, it's part 3 where the series hit its stride.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 am

Torgo wrote:
I really need to play Far Cry 3 and its spinoff, Blood Dragon.
Far Cry 1 is sort of like Dark Souls in first-person shooter form: frustrating, hard as hell - I smashed a very nice keyboard in frustration because of it - but oh so rewarding when things go your way. I count finishing it as one of my best gaming accomplishments.
Far Cry 2 is fun, albeit for a while. I never completed it. While I like its open-world gameplay, it's not nearly as challening as the first game and many of the missions are exactly the same, so much so that I lost interest.
From what I've heard, it's part 3 where the series hit its stride.

Blood Dragon is so awesome.
And I agree, 3, while not without it's flaws, is a damn-good game. I still think 2 is the best of the series, but I don't know if it's even playable anymore. 4 is good but feels sometimes like just more of 3 (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:57 am

Hey everyone, let's get super into Spy Party while it's $15.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:57 am

Just got back from a 12 hour day at PAX East. So fun!

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Far Cry 5 has been my first jump into the series, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Wooley's right about the random enemy encounters, they're nonstop, but otherwise I've gotten way more into it than I expected given my animosity toward first person shooters. Co-op can be a bit of a chore, though. Why they'd use a tethering system in a game with helicopters, airplanes and air drops is beyond me. Also, story progression only saves for the host. Overall it's been a good time and eaten up a lot of my time for the last two weeks. Now I'm looking forward to the upcoming Far Cry 3: Classic Edition.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:10 am

Since the Wii Store discontinued Wii points this past month, I bought 50 bucks worth before the points system shut down. Used it to buy:

Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Earthworm Jim (Genesis)
Super Street Fighter II (Genesis)
Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
Star Tropics (NES)

Funnily, the one I've most been enjoying so far is Star Tropics. Cheap Zelda clone but has that same pleasure of adventure/exploration gotta-find-one-more-thing.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:26 am

Spencie Returns wrote:
Far Cry 5 has been my first jump into the series, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Wooley's right about the random enemy encounters, they're nonstop, but otherwise I've gotten way more into it than I expected given my animosity toward first person shooters. Co-op can be a bit of a chore, though. Why they'd use a tethering system in a game with helicopters, airplanes and air drops is beyond me. Also, story progression only saves for the host. Overall it's been a good time and eaten up a lot of my time for the last two weeks. Now I'm looking forward to the upcoming [b]Far Cry 3: Classic Edition.[/b]

That'll be nice.
Glad you're enjoying it. It is slowly growing on me as I continue to plug away at it. I think doing more story missions helped a little. And staying off the roads so I wasn't attacked by a random every 40 seconds.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 am

Star Tropics is highly underrated. Some of the puzzle rooms and boss fights make me break a sweat a little when I remember how much split-second decision making they require.
It's sort of like if The Legend of Zelda (combat), the Adventures of Lolo games (puzzle-solving) and the Mega Man games (difficulty) had a baby.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:13 am

DaMU wrote:
Since the Wii Store discontinued Wii points this past month, I bought 50 bucks worth before the points system shut down. Used it to buy:

Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Earthworm Jim (Genesis)
Super Street Fighter II (Genesis)
Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
Out of curiosity, is this your first time playing all these games, DaMU? Because, when it comes to Majora's Mask or Super Mario 3, man are you in for a treat...

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:55 am

Stu wrote:
Out of curiosity, is this your first time playing all these games, DaMU? Because, when it comes to Majora's Mask or Super Mario 3, man are you in for a treat...

The only ones I haven't previously played are Majora and Star Tropics. Majora I'm curious about, because I had a really negative response to Twilight Princess and stopped playing Zelda games altogether for a while there.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 am

Majora's Mask is definitely better than Twilight Princess. I'm not a huge Twilight Princess fan, it plays it safe and lasts for much longer than it needs to. Majora's Mask is a daring, idiosyncratic, succinct work of clockwork complexity.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

God Of War's rebirth makes time for introspection among unmatched spectacle

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:22 am

PSN Flash Sale
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/gri ... SALE18LP/1

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:43 am
Profile YIM

PSN Double Discount sale
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/gri ... ISCOUNTG/1
PS Plus members get double discounts. Some good games in there for cheap. I think Titanfall 2 is like 6 bucks after discount.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 am
Profile YIM

Titanfall 2 is a GOAT game for the campaign which is basically like playing the best movie James Cameron never made

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 am

I bought that a while ago. Sitting in my Backlog folder. Although I'm waiting to get a 4k tv so I can take it all in.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 am
Profile YIM

Nintendo Labo: The Kotaku Review

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:57 am

Accounting+ sounds like a really fun game.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:59 pm

After replaying them both, I'm going to have to say that Specter of Torment is a better game than Shovel Knight. Being able to climb up walls and launch yourself off of enemies helps the game flow beautifully.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:23 pm

Finally!:

Fri May 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Just about to finish Far Cry 5 (and by finish I mean I will have done every side-mish available in the game and will have nothing left to do).
I think it starts well during what turns out to be a sort of tutorial phase (but you don't realize it until the game actually gets going) then has a long rough patch before it settles in. Unlike previous Far Cry games, it feels redundant really quickly as the skill-tree is poorly designed and honestly doesn't have very many useful skills, so advancing as a player is not that noticeable. Additionally, many of the weapons you want are available early in the game and can be upgraded as soon as you have the cash to do so, and cash wasn't hard to come by. Basically, my avatar did not appreciably advance in the entire second-half of the game (if we were to divide it that way) and the game became pretty easy pretty early. If I ever got killed it was usually because I had been sloppy and not identified where my enemies might come from or how many there were.
The Cult becomes more interesting as the game goes along, but again, redundancy here is brutal. By halfway through the game you've seen almost everything they have to offer and it is not much to deal with. You've heard all their dialogue by that point and there are only like 3 designs for the thousands of enemies you'll fight so it's basically like fighting an army of clones. The game also advances by suddenly, seemingly magically pulling you out in the middle of game play to be thrust into cut-scenes and mini-games that advance the story, with almost no context to what you're actually doing at the time.
All in all, I would probably put this one in last place among the Far Cry franchise (that I've played, I started Far Cry 1 but it was just too dated for me to stick with so I will omit it here). I think FC2, FC3, Blood Dragon, FC4, and Primal are all superior in execution and if I ever go back to replay a Far Cry game, it will be one of those.

Sat May 05, 2018 1:11 am

So you beat it with nothing but the cougar, bear, and dogs as your sidekicks?

Sat May 05, 2018 2:19 am
Profile YIM

Playstation was having a flash sale, so now, along with all the Nintendo games I picked up for Wii Virtual Console, there's now:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Fatal Frame
Resident Evil 2

Only one I've previously played is RE2, which remains an entertaining puzzle box of a game; the cinematics haven't held up well, but how could they? The most enjoyable element, the accumulation of weapons and items in almost perfect sync to the escalation of the threat, still compels the player along. One thing I prefer about the first two RE games over RE4 is that they're not as linear. I'm a sucker for finding a key, then remembering there are three or four doors where I can use it.

Been playing Castlevania, though, and Jesus, amazing game. Almost immediately one of my favorite games ever. Currently exploring the upside-down castle, and fuck the enemies leveled up.

About 20 minutes into Fatal Frame. Not bad. I hear the sequel is where it really kicked into high gear.

Sat May 05, 2018 2:40 am

Castlevania:SotN is a masterpiece, the trilogy of Metroidvania games on GBA and Dawn of Souls on DS are all close, even superior in respects. If anyone has a WiiU kicking around it's worth picking those up on the virtual console (don't think Dawn of Souls is on there)

Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 am

Ace wrote:
So you beat it with nothing but the cougar, bear, and dogs as your sidekicks?

No, I used the dog most of the time. Sometimes the archer. Neither were really necessary but they kept the game from getting too repetitive at times.

And the ending of this game makes me wish I'd never played it. Probably gonna call it the worst ending to a game I can ever remember.

Sat May 05, 2018 2:01 pm

I spent the majority of Far Cry 5 with Cheeseburger by my side. I can see why people were dissapointed with the ending, which I enjoyed it in the moment, but instantly realized how much agency it killed once it throws you back into freeroam as if you went back in time a couple of hours.

Oh, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze came out for Switch yesterday. It's priced at a painful $60, which is outrageous for a four year old port, but damn if it isn't worth it.

Sat May 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Spencie Returns wrote:
I spent the majority of Far Cry 5 with Cheeseburger by my side. I can see why people were dissapointed with the ending, which I enjoyed it in the moment, but instantly realized how much agency it killed once it throws you back into freeroam as if you went back in time a couple of hours.

Oh, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze came out for Switch yesterday. It's priced at a painful $60, which is outrageous for a four year old port, but damn if it isn't worth it.

Been really looking forward to getting Tropical Freeze for the Switch since everyone sings it’s praises. But damn that $60. Thankfully I got gift cards and poker winnings to spare. :D

Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 am

It's worth it just for the music alone. The music oh man. I really cant oversell the music.

Sun May 06, 2018 2:19 am
Profile YIM

Spencie Returns wrote:

I play stealth so, the dog for scouting, the archer, honestly, just cause it added another element to the game to be able to direct an NPC to pick people off rather than just do it myself again and again and again. I started using her after I had taken out about a half dozen outposts undetected with no weapons, just to change things up. Could have gone with just the dog and it wouldn't have changed things, and the way I play, where I always scout everything first anyway, I probably could have done without the dog either, it just made recon a little quicker.
Yeah, the ending makes everything you've done in the entire game pointless. Maybe that's somehow clever, but I just think it's a mistake and just drains the whole experience. This game wasn't really adding much new to the Far Cry experience but a change in setting, the sidekick experience, and the story. And the story was shit.

Sun May 06, 2018 5:18 am

I am struggling to even keep going in Beyond: Two Souls.
The game mechanics, when there is any gameplay, are the fucking worst and because of it, it is very easy, as I have discovered twice just in the last hour or so, to miss major plot-altering moments because you didn't realize you were supposed to react to something, didn't understand how you were supposed to react, and therefore didn't do whatever you were supposed to do in time and then the moment passes, and because it's part of the ethos of the game, you don't get any kind of chance to fix it, it's just over and this entire playthrough of the game will lack all of those plot-elements that you missed.
This kind of thing can actually be done well, as it was in the masterful Until Dawn, but here it is just frustrating and crap. I expected more from the Heavy Rain studio.

Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

Have you tried the demo for their latest game? I'm hearing good things. I think it's called Detroit become Human.

Fri May 18, 2018 10:18 am
Profile YIM

I downloaded R6: Siege for the free weekend. Only 60 gigs.

Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am

Ace wrote:
Have you tried the demo for their latest game? I'm hearing good things. I think it's called Detroit become Human.

Yeah, that's what gave me the idea to try Beyond.
I thought Heavy Rain was the bees knees at the time and Detroit seems to have some real good press so far, although no one's played very much of it. I had hoped that maybe the heavy criticism of Beyond was due to expectations or something it might actually be a pretty decent game, but alas, it is not really. There is some good drama to be found and Ellen Paige was rightly praised for her work, but it is kind of a shit-show otherwise. Not sure why I keep pressing forward.

Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 pm

By the way, finally bought and started playing through DK: Tropical Freeze on the Switch, and holy goddamn is it good.

Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 pm

But what about the music. The music is <3

Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Profile YIM

Top to bottom, the design is amazing, but the music definitely stands apart in a way that video game music usually doesn't. I find myself humming along with it.

Fri May 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Macrology wrote:
By the way, finally bought and started playing through DK: Tropical Freeze on the Switch, and holy goddamn is it good.

I got it for Switch too. The first game in a long time that’s made me want to 100% it.

Fri May 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Macrology wrote:
Top to bottom, the design is amazing, but the music definitely stands apart in a way that video game music usually doesn't. I find myself humming along with it.

And sometimes you the levels move so fast you don't eve get to appreciate certain parts like the underground water levels or other stuff. Wait till you get to the Savannah world. There's this one level. You'll know it when you hear it. When that music kicks in. Oh man.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 pm
Profile YIM

Deschain wrote:
I got it for Switch too. The first game in a long time that’s made me want to 100% it.

I beat the whole game but man by the time I was done with the game I was so drained the bonus levels just beat me and I couldn't beat them.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm
Profile YIM

Macrology wrote:

I'm sure you know this, but if anybody doesn't, they brought back David Wise, who composed most of the original SNES DKC music, which is classic stuff ("Bramble Scramble," "Mining Melancholy," etc).

I often pipe in the Tropical Freeze soundtrack while I'm at work. One hour of "Seashore War" is deeply calming.

Sat May 19, 2018 12:17 am

DaMU wrote:

I'm sure you know this, but if anybody doesn't, they brought back David Wise, who composed most of the original SNES DKC music, which is classic stuff ("Bramble Scramble," "Mining Melancholy," etc).

I often pipe in the Tropical Freeze soundtrack while I'm at work. One hour of "Seashore War" is deeply calming.

It's why I hype up the music so much. David Wise's return to the series was a much needed shot in the arm the series needed.

Sat May 19, 2018 1:45 am
Profile YIM

I just finished the aquatic world. I don't know if this is the one you meant, but the first stage of the Savannah world was a blast. Just pure joyfulness.

Listening to "Aquatic Ambiance Returns" right now. The jazzy synth riff in this sounds for all the world like a song from some 80s/90s Hong Kong action movie.

Sat May 19, 2018 12:21 pm

I've never played a David Cage but I enjoy the way people like sick burns on top of them.

Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Macrology wrote:
I just finished the aquatic world. I don't know if this is the one you meant, but the first stage of the Savannah world was a blast. Just pure joyfulness.

Listening to "Aquatic Ambiance Returns" right now. The jazzy synth riff in this sounds for all the world like a song from some 80s/90s Hong Kong action movie.

That whole world. The progression of the music as the world changes. But yeah the level has a real "Lion King vibe" haha. And then the fire level after it.
And the way Wise remixes all the other songs with Aquatic Ambiance. <3

Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm
Profile YIM

Definitely a strong Lion King influence there (esp via the live production). I also appreciated the stage against the squid called the Irate Eight.

Sat May 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Macrology wrote:
Definitely a strong Lion King influence there (esp via the live production). I also appreciated the stage against the squid called the Irate Eight.

The three versions of Irate Eight songs that play are so good. Some of my favorite stuff. He really shows his Phil Collins influence in some of these.

Sat May 19, 2018 3:28 pm
Profile YIM

I think I might just go back and replay Until Dawn for a 3rd time. It's been a couple years, probably long enough.

Sun May 20, 2018 1:39 am

I started Until Dawn but I think it moves too slowly for me or I just like exploring everything and that slows the game down for me.

Sun May 20, 2018 4:08 am
Profile YIM

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, that's what gave me the idea to try Beyond.
I thought Heavy Rain was the bees knees at the time and Detroit seems to have some real good press so far, although no one's played very much of it. I had hoped that maybe the heavy criticism of Beyond was due to expectations or something it might actually be a pretty decent game, but alas, it is not really. There is some good drama to be found and Ellen Paige was rightly praised for her work, but it is kind of a shit-show otherwise. Not sure why I keep pressing forward.

I think Beyond: Two Souls is the only David Cage game I truly enjoyed. It has less horrid voice acting, fewer lines of awful dialogue, a more interesting setting/premise and smoother mechanics.

The others are good for laughs

Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 am

Ace wrote:
I started Until Dawn but I think it moves too slowly for me or I just like exploring everything and that slows the game down for me.

I also like to explore but I don't mind a slow game.
It is the game I used to convince my friend that there were actually good games on the PS4 (he had it in his head that with the graphics upgrade of the 4 over the 3, quality content had been abandoned) and along with Life Is Strange, he felt that they were two of the best games he ever played and got back to playing his PS4. Same as him, I experienced what it was really like to care about every character in a game and try as hard as I could to keep them alive (on the second playthrough, the first I was just going with it).
It is also one of the only games to ever give me full-blown nightmares.
All that said, it depends on what kind of games you like. I saw y'all talking a lot about a new Donkey Kong game and I went and watched gameplay video of it, and you couldn't get me to play it if it was the last game on Earth. DSDF is a real thing and Until Dawn just might not be for you.

Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345  Next