It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:02 pm



Reply to topic  [ 17328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 343, 344, 345, 346, 347
 The Video Game Thread 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Bubble Bobble is an ok game. I don’t know anyone who loves it so much that it warrants being on best of all time lists and getting a spot on the NES Classic and in the upcoming Switch Streaming service.


Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Thief wrote:
I was also surprised by Bubble Booble. I never played that game a lot, so I don't think I can judge it fairly, but if it were up to me, I would've had Punch-Out! up there. I also would've like to see Metroid a bit higher.
Same here. Also, best typo ever. ;)

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
Minding the Gap (Liu, 2018)


Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Thief wrote:
I never got into Ninja Gaiden III. Played it a bit, but I don't even know if I ever finished it. To be honest, I really liked the way the story played on the second one. The cut-scenes were excellent, and I really didn't mind the shadow clones. If anything, I saw it as yet another challenge in a game that was already extremely challenging ("Damn eagles!!")


The biggest problem with Ninja Gaiden III is that Act III is really hard for such an early stage. I've gotten to the final stage once. Maybe I should just swallow my pride and play the easier Japanese version.

I'd list off my NES top 10 but comparing different games from different genres always trips me up. Here's top 10 action platformers:

10. Power Blade
9. Little Samson
8. Contra / Super C
7. Vice Project Doom
6. Darkwing Duck
5. Mega Man
4. Batman
3. Castlevania III
2. Journey to Silius
1. Ninja Gaiden

Only Ninja Gaiden and Journey to Silius are a lock. Darkwing Duck looks a little high but I honestly like it quite a bit. I wish I could get into Shatterhand because it always looks really cool.


Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUmxRhLspQw


Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Kenji wrote:

The biggest problem with Ninja Gaiden III is that Act III is really hard for such an early stage. I've gotten to the final stage once. Maybe I should just swallow my pride and play the easier Japanese version.

I'd list off my NES top 10 but comparing different games from different genres always trips me up. Here's top 10 action platformers:

10. Power Blade
9. Little Samson
8. Contra / Super C
7. Vice Project Doom
6. Darkwing Duck
5. Mega Man
4. Batman
3. Castlevania III
2. Journey to Silius
1. Ninja Gaiden

Only Ninja Gaiden and Journey to Silius are a lock. Darkwing Duck looks a little high but I honestly like it quite a bit. I wish I could get into Shatterhand because it always looks really cool.


That's a pretty solid list. I love the mentions of Journey to Silius, Vice Project Dom, and Power Blade; all relatively obscure and underrated games.

EDIT: This would probably be a rough Top 10 from me.

1. Mega Man 2
2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!
3. Crystalis
4. StarTropics
5. Metal Gear
6. Castlevania
7. Mega Man 3
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
10. Tetris

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Super Mario Bros 3, River City Ransom, Punch-Out and Bionic Commando were probably my favorite games on NES. I feel like River City Ransom, in particular, doesn't get enough credit for how ahead of its time it was.

_________________


Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:34 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Maniac Mansion, Jackal, Gremlins II, and Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! come to mind when I think of my favorite non-platformer NES games.


Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:45 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

I was too young for the NES era and missed out on most of the classics. I never even really had a NES. I had a Chinese clone called the Family Game, which came with about 100 versions of Mario with different surfaces and physics. It's the first taste I ever got of mods, I guess. And on consoles. Weird.

Anyway, point is, back then, I never knew stuff like Metroid and Zelda even existed. And this carried into the SNES, because none of my friends were playing them. So I got the SNES mini a year ago just to play all the classics I never got to. And I mean seminal stuff such as Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III (or VI), Secret of Mana, Earthbound, and Yoshi's Island. I emulated Super Metroid a while ago, but now I'm itching to play it again with the SNES controller. (Keyboard on Super Metroid was a hassle, let me tell you.)

Right now I'm going through Link to the Past. I figured that after about 130 hours of Breath of the Wild, I needed to get back to some more traditional, dungeon-focused Zelda adventuring. And it's awesome. First two dungeons in Link to the Past were kind of boring, I have to say, but now that I'm in the dark world, the more advanced dungeons are seriously involving. And the items! Along with BotW's paraglider, some of these items are surely among the most significant, gameplay-altering items in Zelda history. Every time you get one of them, it really affects how you play. They're not useful for, like, three in-dungeon puzzles and then you're done with them. No, you start using them as part of your regular arsenal to deal with overworld enemies and the such, and it makes the game much easier. (It's never Dark Souls, exactly, but you definitely have to be on your toes during the initial stretches, when every single fiend in the map is after you and you don't have that much to defend yourself with.)


Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Also, I'm playing Celeste on the Switch, and it's glorious. I like the optional difficulty angle. You can beat a level and it may be somewhat difficult, but the real challenge is getting those out-of-the-way fruits in secret rooms. And they usually require serious strategy and reflexes. The mechanics and moves at your disposal are simple enough. Yet using them to navigate the levels requires finesse and skill. When you pull off an acrobatic manoeuvre, it's extremely gratifying. I like that it's almost like a puzzle platformer, too. You don't have to just be quick, you need to plan your route. It's like R-Type, in that sense.


Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:09 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Beau wrote:
I was too young for the NES era and missed out on most of the classics. I never even really had a NES. I had a Chinese clone called the Family Game, which came with about 100 versions of Mario with different surfaces and physics. It's the first taste I ever got of mods, I guess. And on consoles. Weird.

Anyway, point is, back then, I never knew stuff like Metroid and Zelda even existed. And this carried into the SNES, because none of my friends were playing them. So I got the SNES mini a year ago just to play all the classics I never got to. And I mean seminal stuff such as Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III (or VI), Secret of Mana, Earthbound, and Yoshi's Island. I emulated Super Metroid a while ago, but now I'm itching to play it again with the SNES controller. (Keyboard on Super Metroid was a hassle, let me tell you.)

Right now I'm going through Link to the Past. I figured that after about 130 hours of Breath of the Wild, I needed to get back to some more traditional, dungeon-focused Zelda adventuring. And it's awesome. First two dungeons in Link to the Past were kind of boring, I have to say, but now that I'm in the dark world, the more advanced dungeons are seriously involving. And the items! Along with BotW's paraglider, some of these items are surely among the most significant, gameplay-altering items in Zelda history. Every time you get one of them, it really affects how you play. They're not useful for, like, three in-dungeon puzzles and then you're done with them. No, you start using them as part of your regular arsenal to deal with overworld enemies and the such, and it makes the game much easier. (It's never Dark Souls, exactly, but you definitely have to be on your toes during the initial stretches, when every single fiend in the map is after you and you don't have that much to defend yourself with.)


I use a USB gamepad when using emulators. Way easier than using the keyboard.

As for A Link to the Past, it is probably my favorite video game across all platforms. Granted, I've never gotten into the newer consoles (Playstation, Xbox, etc.) but out of the ones I played with (Atari, NES, SNES, Arcade, PC), that's my top one.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Thief wrote:

I use a USB gamepad when using emulators. Way easier than using the keyboard.

As for A Link to the Past, it is probably my favorite video game across all platforms. Granted, I've never gotten into the newer consoles (Playstation, Xbox, etc.) but out of the ones I played with (Atari, NES, SNES, Arcade, PC), that's my top one.


Yeah, I use the USB gamepad too, but I didn't back when I emulated Super Metroid, eons ago. And, besides, an XBOX controller (which is the USB gamepad I have) isn't quite the same as the original SNES controller for SNES games.


Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

I still need to beat A link to the Past it's just sitting there on my SNES Classic and my WiiU. :(
I also started Windwaker but I got stuck on the section with the leaves that blow you upwards.


Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am
Profile YIM
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

LTTP is the fucking best.

_________________


Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:38 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Kenji wrote:
I wish that Playdead would just make a walking simulator, though. Why even have the typical crate pushing, lever pulling tasks? They add nothing to the game.

Since the game requires you to pay attention to very minor details in order to decipher the reason everything is happening in the game (such as the part where the pig with the worm sticking in its rectum chases you around), I feel like the puzzles are necessary as, since they require you to interact with the game, they draw your attention to the various set pieces more. By doing so, it makes it easier to interpret the game. I feel like it would be easier to miss these hints if you could just walk by them, so I didn't mind the puzzles.

_________________
Top 30 Favorite Films of All Time


Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Hollow Knight fucks


Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Hollow Knight fucks

Been hearing real good things and only $15 on Switch it’s hard to to argue against being my next purchase. Convince me.


Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Deschain13 wrote:
Been hearing real good things and only $15 on Switch it’s hard to to argue against being my next purchase. Convince me.


It’s the gameplay of a Metroidvania with the storytelling and self-loathing of Dark Souls.


Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Finally finished Prey. Almost EIGHTY-EIGHT HOURS!


Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

My late and ordinary top 10 NES list:

Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers
Crystalis
Dr. Mario
DuckTales
The Goonies 2
The Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Super Mario Bros. 3

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers is a good single player game, but it's a great two-player game. It's oddly satisfying to be able to pick up and throw the other player.

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
Minding the Gap (Liu, 2018)


Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Torgo wrote:
My late and ordinary top 10 NES list:

Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers
Crystalis
Dr. Mario
DuckTales
The Goonies 2
The Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Super Mario Bros. 3

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers is a good single player game, but it's a great two-player game. It's oddly satisfying to be able to pick up and throw the other player.


Goonies 2 and Dr. Mario aside (both of which I never played that much), this is a solid list.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

This looks great:


_________________
Recently Reviewed


Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Anyone playing Dead Cells. It calls to me.


Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

The Guy in the Trenchcoat wrote:
Anyone playing Dead Cells. It calls to me.
It's brilliant, I've been playing it since it hit early access. Still haven't completed it, but it's the most mechanically satisfying platformer maybe ever, everything about it feels good


Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Hollow Knight fucks

I’m a little over halfway through and it does indeed fuck.


Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

For one great level, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider makes Lara Croft feel like a real person

_________________
Recently Reviewed


Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread


Would you recommend this game for someone who really doesn't like to waste time on a so-so game?. I been lookin' for something new to play.


Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Wooley wrote:
Would you recommend this game for someone who really doesn't like to waste time on a so-so game?. I been lookin' for something new to play.
It won't come out for another 2 days :P That being said, I wasn't planning in playing it when it does anyway, since I don't really play any games anymore (just watch other people play 'em on Youtube, like The Game Grumps), but the critics seem to like it pretty well so far, especially the XBox One version, seeing as how it's sitting on an 83 overall average on Metacritic, so it seems like a safe bet.

_________________
Recently Reviewed


Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

I recommend Spider-Man for the PS4 for anyone who's a Spidey fan. The web-swinging is so good. And the story isn't half bad either.


Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 am
Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 343, 344, 345, 346, 347

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.