It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345 ... 347  Next
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn. Pure gaming heaven. Cuphead is totally kicking my ass, but it's pretty good as well.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 am

Cuphead is pretty good but didn't leave a huge impression on me. I'll have to replay Alien Soldier to decide which game is better.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:47 am

Yakuza 0 is like Shenmue without all the dull bullshit.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 am

IPlayTheBlameGame wrote:
Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn. Pure gaming heaven. Cuphead is totally kicking my ass, but it's pretty good as well.

I have now put over 72 hours into HZD.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 am

Hollow Knight is quite good. It's essentially a Metroidvania game with Dark Souls elenents, and like that game, the music and atmosphere are completely absorbing. Not entirely recommend if bugs give you the heebie jeebies, however.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 am

Smoke Bomb wrote:
I could probably give you some solid Dark Souls 3 tips, for starters thinking of “farming souls” as grinding in a JRPG, find a bonfire adjacent location that has easier to defeat enemies with a high soul pay out and run a few laps. As for “strats” I’m mainly 2 Handed Blade/Pyromancer so I only know how to play that.
When you say "run laps" is that clearing the area and going back to the bonfire to reset enemy placements? Is this the overall "treadmill" throughout the series? I'm considering my Twitch game right now and fresh playthroughs of the Dark Souls games are good entryways into streaming

Macrology wrote:
Thanks for posting about this, because it prompted me to finally buy a copy of Planescape. Some close friends have raved about it since it came out when we were in high school, but I never got the chance to play it.
I'm excited to hear your thoughts if it grabs hold. Chris Avellone yo, I'm always flabbergasted by his resume. I'm pleased to learn he wrote Prey because the narrative is awesome so far, and he will be writing the System Shock remake.

Spencie Returns wrote:
Not something I'd have jumped at normally, but Titanfall 2 is $11 on Amazon and it just came in the mail. I'm not much for first person shooters but from what I've seen it reminds me of Doom (2016), which I played religiously.
Titanfall 2's campaign is amazing, it's a much different beast than DOOM... it's like playing through the best movie James Cameron never made. Gorgeous, visceral, and the set pieces are mmm. It's hovering around the $10 range on PC so people should buy it

Kenji wrote:
Cuphead is pretty good but didn't leave a huge impression on me. I'll have to replay Alien Soldier to decide which game is better.
Cuphead might be beautiful but Alien Soldier is art

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 am

ultimately I'm playing through GTAV and it's kinda blowing my mind that Rockstar finally made an actual playable video game :shifty:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am

Kenji wrote:
Two stages is preferable but the zones in Sonic 3 / Sonic and Knuckles still go on for far too long. Sonic 2 fares better, but stages like Hilltop, Oil Ocean, and the pointless Sky Chase Zone really drag it down. Emerald Hill Zone is a poor man's Green Hill Zone. I don't like the brighter, Saturday morning aesthetic of Sonic 2 compared to the cooler, "edgier" Sonic 1. Sonic 1 just feels like classic Sega, the type of game that differentiated them from Nintendo. Sonic 2 felt like an attempt to lighten things up, complete with useless sidekick.
Aw, Sonic 3 is my favorite 2-D entry in the series (those graphics! those new power-ups!), and I've always liked the Hilltop, Oil Ocean, and (especially) the Sky Chase Zone levels; they may not be as speedy as Sonic is known for, but I enjoy them for the innovative gameplay concepts and changes of pace that they provide. I feel the first Sonic is the worst of the Genesis entries when it comes to graphics, as they're relatively, dull, rough, and unfinished-looking compared to the next few in the series, as far as I'm concerned.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 am

Uh... huh?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Looks like I will finally maybe get into Dark Souls 1. The PC port is just a garbage fire even with the fix, gimme that 60fps Dark Souls

From what I've gleamed they are updating the game with the Bloodborne/3 engine along with fixing bugs and exploits via the help of a speedrunner, I believe. Cool

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 am

Tropical Freeze tho. GOAT game there. Best Soundtrack.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Tropical Freeze tho. GOAT game there. Best Soundtrack.

I'm so psyched that they're bringing it to the Switch. I never got a Wii U but I loved DKCR and I've heard nothing but great things about Tropical Freeze. Now I'll finally get to play it.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:56 am

I just beat Super Metroid on my SNES Classic for the first time and loved it. Never played a Metroid game before the original on the NES Classic. I liked that one a lot despite it being so cryptic and unforgiving. Super Metroid improves upon the problems of the original making for an excellent game. Can’t wait for Metroid 4!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 am

Deschain wrote:
I just beat Super Metroid on my SNES Classic for the first time and loved it. Never played a Metroid game before the original on the NES Classic. I liked that one a lot despite it being so cryptic and unforgiving. Super Metroid improves upon the problems of the original making for an excellent game. Can’t wait for Metroid 4!
Do you mean Metroid Fusion, or Prime? Or Prime 4?

:oops:

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

Macrology wrote:

I'm so psyched that they're bringing it to the Switch. I never got a Wii U but I loved DKCR and I've heard nothing but great things about Tropical Freeze. Now I'll finally get to play it.

Same here. And, though I played, loved, and finished Dark Souls on the PC, I love that it's coming to the Switch. The user experience is so much better on the Switch. I just adore how easy it is to jump in and play.

Speaking of which, anyone into Rocket League here? I'm amazed that game works as well as it does. It's remarkable.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 am

Stu wrote:
Do you mean Metroid Fusion, or Prime? Or Prime 4?

:oops:

Oh...one of the Nintendo Directs had a teaser for what I thought was just Metroid 4 but it might be from the Prime series.

Love that Tropical Freeze is coming to Switch. Been hearing great things about that game.

As of now I’m playing Steamworld Heist which has two things I love: turn-based strategy, and cowboys in space.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 am

I bought Destiny 2 :shifty:

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 am

Quote:
Speaking of which, anyone into Rocket League here? I'm amazed that game works as well as it does. It's remarkable.

I've seen this game for a while and really want to play it, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks stupidly fun. It's on Switch, right?

And regarding Metroid, I believe the Metroid game coming out for Switch is the 4th in the Prime series.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

Beau wrote:

I'm all about some Rocket League. Played it on PS4 since launch and had to double dip once it came out for Switch. It's honestly one of my favorite games for its insanely lasting appeal. I'll go stretches without playing it but whenever I pick it up again it's like riding a bike.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:14 pm

I play it on the PS4. I play all the time. But I'm all about Rumble. Totes best mode. But if some people wnat to play I'll play regular mode. Even team up for some league play.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am
Profile YIM

I have literally played Horizon: Zero Dawn for 85 hours now, according to the game-clock. Somebody please help me.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 am

Last I left off I was over 100 hours into my New Game+ file. Still need to beat the DLC.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Profile YIM

If I've learned anything from Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's that if Nazis end up taking over the planet, their downfall will come from not facing the doors of their rooms.
Good game, by the way. It has a solid mix of action, stealth and puzzle-solving.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 am

The A.V. Club’s 20 most-anticipated games of 2018

A Way Out looks like it could be incredible, if they can make the central, forced-co-op play gimmick work for it naturally, and not try to force it in no matter what.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Don't worry, folks, if life were Dark Souls, the age of Trump is Blight Town. We'll get through it.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 am

wat

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Stu wrote:

wat

So you’re gonna have a bunch of fucking cardboard lying around there house? How long is that gonna late before it starts deteriorating from overuse?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Looks fun to me. I mean, it's clearly catering to kids, and the cardboard will likely outlast the limited appeal of the mini-games. It's more about the fun of assembling the thing and trying it out than replayability, and I like the notion that it broadens the Switch's capabilities in a way that's intuitive, tactile, and accessible to anyone.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Torgo wrote:
If I've learned anything from Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's that if Nazis end up taking over the planet, their downfall will come from not facing the doors of their rooms.
Good game, by the way. It has a solid mix of action, stealth and puzzle-solving.

Funny, this post led to me reading about video-game AIs all week.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:28 am

I still think the best implementation of AI was FEAR. They used the environment so well.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
I still think the best implementation of AI was FEAR. They used the environment so well.

It's interesting you say that.
I generally have felt that FEAR was the worst game I ever finished (I thought the story was totally mishandled so as to not be even coherent, some of the mechanics were fairly rough, and the graphics felt a little behind their time), but I keep reading about how it has the best AI, and thinking back to it, I think that may be why I finished the game, what kept me going through the game.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:32 am

To be fair, the Wolfenstein: New Order AI is pretty intelligent during the typical action scene. However, like I mentioned for the stealth portions, the soldiers have a fetish for looking in every direction except the one where people can sneak up on them. Since I typically loathe stealth portions of games, this is totally fine with me.

Good call on FEAR. It often made me feel that the soldiers knew what I was going to do before I did.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 am

FEAR AI worked so well because the environment was used so well. I know the main complaint was that it's environments were all the same but I think the way they used AI got around it so well.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
FEAR AI worked so well because the environment was used so well. I know the main complaint was that it's environments were all the same but I think the way they used AI got around it so well.

That sounds about right.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm

My addiction to Horizon: Zero Dawn has reached life-sucking levels.
With about 110 hours logged on the game, I have now worked my way about halfway through the DLC, The Frozen Wilds. The DLC actually integrates into the regular game as simply a new area that fully interacts with the old one (in the sense that you can just fast-travel from anywhere in the DLC to anywhere in the regular map and it runs DURING the main campaign), so not only am I fully exploiting the DLC map, but occasionally being drawn back into the main map as well.
I need to finish this thing and burn it because I'm accomplishing very little in my real life these days.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 pm

I beat the Stranger Things mobile game. For a free game it’s well worth the 5 or 6 hours it takes to beat. The game’s essentially like an old school Zelda with a Stranger Things skin over it. Hawkins is the over world and buildings like the lab and the school are dungeons. But instead of getting items to upgrade your character and open up new areas it’s different people from the show. For example you start as Hopper who can punch enemies. Then you get Lucas with the slingshot who can hit switches bad guys from a distance. Will is small so he can crawl through pipes, etc.There’s light puzzle solving and some basic combat.

I played it on my iPad and can’t imagine trying to do it on a phone. So if you like Zelda, Stranger Things and free games, give it a shot.

Edit: No loot boxes or microtransactions of any kind. It never asks for a cent. The worst it does is suggest you find the 8 hidden VHS tapes to unlock a Stranger Things trailer. And you can ignore that. It has no impact on the game.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I played a few zones of Sonic Mania and it bored the hell out of me. Everything about it feels so mindless and messy. I prefer the more straightforward level design of the first Sonic compared to the rest of the series.

Compare this elegance:

To this insanity:

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:28 am

Kenji wrote:
I played a few zones of Sonic Mania and it bored the hell out of me. Everything about it feels so mindless and messy.
Reminds me of how I felt when I (tried to) play Sonic CD; pretty graphics and cool music, but gameplay-wise, it was just so... eh. Give me that cartridge monstrosity Sonic 3 on the boring, plain ol' Genesis any day of the week.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Y'know, no game has ever made me say "fuck this garbage" as much as Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I have no idea how people can put up with it to the end, it's such a chore, a chore plagued with technical issues and wretched design

Things which are bad:
Cooking
Menuing in general
Rain
Guardian Beasts
95% of enemy encounters
Weapon durability
Stamina
Boss fights
Needing four friggen shrines to upgrade your dumb tiny health pool which gets one shotted by the majority of enemies. Dark Souls has much finer balancing
The checkpoint system (FUCKING SAVE WHEN I FAST TRAVEL, IM GUNNA GET ONE SHOTTED)
The Sheika Slate replacing dungeon items. They are fun to experiment with at first but I don't find them very applicable, the game needs actual dungeons
Seriously the fucking weapon durability, MY BOW ISN'T GOING TO BREAK FROM FIRING 10 ARROWS

Good:
Bows when they aren't breaking
Paragliding off the tops of towers
Gerudo Town for entirely non-gameplay reasons

I think Skyward Sword is much better if you can get past the motion controls, and at times was the peak of the series for me regarding what it sets out to do. Botw is confused, like, I'd lump it with Zelda 2: Adventure of Link and Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 am

I just bought a Switch, and Breath of the Wild will probably be the first game I play. We'll see what I think of it. 3D Zelda outside of Majora's Mask (which still has its moments tedium) is not my cup of tea.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:35 am

Play Tropical Freeze Nameless. Its good.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 am
Profile YIM

Cuphead is the best game that’s ever caused my heart to race while my palms turn clammy.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:19 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Y'know, no game has ever made me say "fuck this garbage" as much as Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I have no idea how people can put up with it to the end, it's such a chore, a chore plagued with technical issues and wretched design

Things which are bad:
Cooking
Menuing in general
Rain
Guardian Beasts
95% of enemy encounters
Weapon durability
Stamina
Boss fights
Needing four friggen shrines to upgrade your dumb tiny health pool which gets one shotted by the majority of enemies. Dark Souls has much finer balancing
The checkpoint system (FUCKING SAVE WHEN I FAST TRAVEL, IM GUNNA GET ONE SHOTTED)
The Sheika Slate replacing dungeon items. They are fun to experiment with at first but I don't find them very applicable, the game needs actual dungeons
Seriously the fucking weapon durability, MY BOW ISN'T GOING TO BREAK FROM FIRING 10 ARROWS

Good:
Bows when they aren't breaking
Paragliding off the tops of towers
Gerudo Town for entirely non-gameplay reasons

I think Skyward Sword is much better if you can get past the motion controls, and at times was the peak of the series for me regarding what it sets out to do. Botw is confused, like, I'd lump it with Zelda 2: Adventure of Link and Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks

You're extremely wrong on almost all counts, but I will say that it isn't my favorite Zelda game, and that the experience felt too diffuse for a game that really benefits from narrative drive and interpersonal interactions. And yeah, fuck the rain, it rains entirely too much in that goddamn game.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Those Zelda criticisms are bizarre to me. It's pretty difficult to get one-shotted unless you're just terrible or you never got past the opening area. The game's a cakewalk for any Dark Souls veteran, though it's still harder than most Zeldas.

Weapon durability, alright, that's kind of annoying, but you're finding new weapons every other minute. I had to buy a house and make it into a little museum just to store cool weapons because I have no space for all the weapons I like in my inventory.

The Sheika Slate replacing dungeon items is brilliant. It's one of the most well-balanced Zeldas in terms of actually using your items-skills all the time instead of mostly in a specific dungeon.

Speaking of dungeons, there are no dungeons in this game. I don't understand the complaints about the Beasts. They're amazing. I love them. They're not dungeons. That's why you have the shrines. In a game with no dungeons, they stuck 120 mini-dungeons for the fans. I nod and enjoy the shrines, and play other Zeldas for the dungeons. I appreciate that Breath of the Wild doesn't try to outdo Ocarina of Time. It's something else entirely.

As for rain, I don't know, guys, maybe the weather's different in your games, but in mine it rains occasionally and, yeah, it's annoying, but then I realize I simply got too comfortable with my godly climbing abilities.

My two cents.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:52 am

Macrology wrote:

I've seen this game for a while and really want to play it, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks stupidly fun. It's on Switch, right?

It's one of the most perfect sports games of all time.

Part of the reason is that it's not a real sport. Actual sport simulations always seem to fall short of the real thing. There's no real thing here, so the game's mechanics are far tighter than in, say, the annual (and ultimately disposable) editions of FIFA or PES.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 am

Rocket League is so fun. Play the regular modes. But the REAL fun is in the RUMBLE mode. My god that mode is so fun. Mainly because you dodnt have to worry about defense because you get the power ups to play them.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm
Profile YIM

I'm about an hour and a half or so into What Remains Of Edith Finch.
So far, so good. I really do dig these kinds of games (like Gone Home, Firewatch, and Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and I think Life Is Strange is one of the best games of the PS4 generation; it's a friend of mine's Number One).

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Kenji wrote:
I played a few zones of Sonic Mania and it bored the hell out of me. Everything about it feels so mindless and messy. I prefer the more straightforward level design of the first Sonic compared to the rest of the series.

Compare this elegance:

To this insanity:

I must vehemently disagree here. Among 16-bit platformers, the entire distinguishing feature of the Sonic series was the speed of the gameplay. And speed in a platformer inherently requires more space to run in to be satisfying. Your supposedly "elegant" example is one of the most frustrating, clumsy levels of the first Sonic game because it just artificially inhibits the gameplay. Those lava pits and slow-moving platforms are more suited to the Mario series (that's not a slam, just an acknowledgement of the differences in the two franchises). With Sonic, it really didn't seem like the series reached its potential until at least its second entry.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm

With BOTW I can understand the experience being subjective to the point where good stuff happens but it's putting me through a gauntlet of frustration where I'm trying to give it chances and it keeps biting my hand. It actively discourages me to play it, and my only real game play incentive to progress is upgrading my stamina bar so I can climb bigger rocks. The game is optional to a fault where the dungeon and item cycle of previous Zeldas adds a level of excitement to going back out into the world and discovering new areas with said item. Getting Roc's Feather in Link's Awakening and hopping over a square is more exciting than anything in BOTW which gives you every tool you will get in the first hour out of a 50-100 hour game and doesn't do much with it beyond entirely optional shrines. In general I feel woefully unequipped for what the game expects of me, so there is no real point to engaging in ANY combat, in fact it is probably smart not to fight anything, and this isn't by choice but by the game punishing you for every aspect of trying to engage with it in any fun manner, unless you want to spend hours doing cooking nonsense. I want to fight, dammit! I want to be competent beyond the tools it provides. I shouldn't have to go into my menu and eat an electricity resistant mushroom every time I see a fucking bat, and those bats will fuck you up, especially when you just want to climb a fucking rain slicked rock. I don't have any arrows right now and there isn't really any good indication as to who sells arrows considering that EVERYONE is a dumb vendor with random shit. Every time I think about this stupid game I get mad because the whole thing has just been trolling me left and right. I've played this game for 40 fucking hours and I've done jack all it feels like, where is my sense of progress! I want medallions, three of them, then I want a Master Sword... ugh, this game even sucks the soul and joy out of getting the Master Sword

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 pm

BL wrote:
I must vehemently disagree here. Among 16-bit platformers, the entire distinguishing feature of the Sonic series was the speed of the gameplay. And speed in a platformer inherently requires more space to run in to be satisfying. Your supposedly "elegant" example is one of the most frustrating, clumsy levels of the first Sonic game because it just artificially inhibits the gameplay. Those lava pits and slow-moving platforms are more suited to the Mario series (that's not a slam, just an acknowledgement of the differences in the two franchises). With Sonic, it really didn't seem like the series reached its potential until at least its second entry.

My first thought is, "Badlieutenant discussing a video game? Awesome!"

I guess my answer is that what makes Sonic unique among 16 bit platformers also bores me. My favorite stage in the series is Scrap Brain Zone precisely because it's a stage where you have to take it slowly and really study the environment. I've even grown to like Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2, and almost everyone hates that fucking stage. A lot of gamers think that Sonic himself is just ill-equipped to handle slower platforming challenges - I've seen this in person watching a friend of mine who beat Sonic Mania but got a Game Over on Marble Zone and never bothered giving it another go - but I enjoy these sections while still admitting that Mario reached much higher highs with this sort of gameplay.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 17341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345 ... 347  Next