It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 17373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 348  Next
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

The Last Baron wrote:
KRZ episode IV is out

I'm glad I'm home alone right now. I literally screamed when I read that.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:20 am

The Last Baron wrote:
KRZ episode IV is out

AT LONG LAST BY THE VIDEO GAME GODS AND THE PEOPLE WHO INVENTED ALL CAPS.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:20 am

I'm excited, but I seem to have gained a screeen flickering issue and it's unplayable. gah.

it was a resolution problem! The opening scene is gorgeous stuff, I'll sit down and play the whole thing through after dinner, probably.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 am

I've played the first two acts but considering the unstable release schedule, and the depth of the narrative, I feel like it might be ideal to wait until it's finished up with Act V.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Honestly, I feel like they're quite functional as narrative independent one another, I do look forward to seeing how it all comes together as whole narrative, but each piece has offered some different kind of storytelling pleasure of it's own.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Das wrote:
Honestly, I feel like they're quite functional as narrative independent one another, I do look forward to seeing how it all comes together as whole narrative, but each piece has offered some different kind of storytelling pleasure of it's own.

You're not wrong, but it just feels like so much information was delivered in the first two acts, that by the time the third came, I felt like I needed to replay the first two. Might just be me overthinking it, but it really seems like the kind of experience that would benefit from a cohesive and continuous journey through it.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 pm

I've enjoyed them as experiences largely seperate from each other so far, I did a solid run 1-3 about 6 months ago, and I found it be, a different, but not nessecarily 'better' experience. The storytelling gains a stronger emotional core, but there's something to be said about just enjoying the mood of the situations chapter to chapter, how independently they offer different looks into the same characters. The writing's a pleasure with or without the context of the others, in a sense. If you want to wait on all of them for one go, I respect your patience (because it may be a while!) but it's worth trying them out on their own as well.

IV is very, very excellent so far.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Das wrote:
I've enjoyed them as experiences largely seperate from each other so far, I did a solid run 1-3 about 6 months ago, and I found it be, a different, but not nessecarily 'better' experience. The storytelling gains a stronger emotional core, but there's something to be said about just enjoying the mood of the situations chapter to chapter, how independently they offer different looks into the same characters. The writing's a pleasure with or without the context of the others, in a sense. If you want to wait on all of them for one go, I respect your patience (because it may be a while!) but it's worth trying them out on their own as well.

IV is very, very excellent so far.

Without (nearly) any spoilers, act IV is a 'quiet' piece of fiction, it's the kind of work that you aren't nessecarily rendered speechless by, but you want to observe what just happened quietly, let it wash over and sink in, scene to scene it operates like a series of short stories more than any of the other acts, it's as much about getting there as it is wandering from place to place. Some very major things happen in terms of the overall story, and I'd say that of the acts, this didn't hit as hard as act 3's moments
Conway's history of alcoholism and loss are touched upon, but not really directly - we see the consequence of his decisions play out in his actions.
but it left me with a lot to process, beautifully atmospheric stuff, and the narrative seems to gain more and more heft to it each time they release a new act. Now I hope act 5 doesn't take another year, but I'll gladly wait that long if the result is as interesting as this was.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16 pm

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =701335671

Blendo's already made a guide for modding Quadrilateral Cowboy

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 am
Profile WWW

Does any one want some spare Sega Genesis game keys. I have 3 left over from Bundle Stars pick your Sega Games bundle that I didn't realize I already owned.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:03 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Does any one want some spare Sega Genesis game keys. I have 3 left over from Bundle Stars pick your Sega Games bundle that I didn't realize I already owned.

I'd bite!

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:25 am

Beau wrote:

I'd bite!

Cool. I'll PM em to you.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:29 pm
Profile YIM

Dudes, Furi is pretty great. Taps right into my hardcore Souls gene.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Samm@el wrote:
Dudes, Furi is pretty great. Taps right into my hardcore Souls gene.

I told you! Ever since that video came out I want to play it. Ill play it soon enough.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm
Profile YIM

EDF 4.1 PC release is definitive proof that video games are art

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Ace wrote:
I told you! Ever since that video came out I want to play it. Ill play it soon enough.

You were absolutely correct.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 am

How are the first 2 Infamous games?

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:12 am
Profile WWW

Das wrote:

Without (nearly) any spoilers, act IV is a 'quiet' piece of fiction, it's the kind of work that you aren't nessecarily rendered speechless by, but you want to observe what just happened quietly, let it wash over and sink in, scene to scene it operates like a series of short stories more than any of the other acts, it's as much about getting there as it is wandering from place to place. Some very major things happen in terms of the overall story, and I'd say that of the acts, this didn't hit as hard as act 3's moments
Conway's history of alcoholism and loss are touched upon, but not really directly - we see the consequence of his decisions play out in his actions.
but it left me with a lot to process, beautifully atmospheric stuff, and the narrative seems to gain more and more heft to it each time they release a new act. Now I hope act 5 doesn't take another year, but I'll gladly wait that long if the result is as interesting as this was.

No real spoilers below, but I do talk about the tone of the game in detail and speculate about the next act, so READ WITH CAUTION.

Just played through it tonight (although with all the options I'll have to play it over again soon!) and I wholeheartedly agree in just about every respect. For some reason, I love narrative art that has little or no narrative momentum, that just drifts and exists, and this act certainly plays to that cadence. Even though it takes place on a river, it's the act that feels closest to the experience of an actual road trip, with the pit stops and meanderings and fleeting friendships that come with them, and it recalls picaresque riverboat adventures like Huck Finn. It's also the most optimistic act, although it's a quiet optimism, and it embraces and celebrates the characters we've only glimpsed until now: those who live and thrive at the margins.

There's a peaceful calm throughout, but one that can't help but be disrupted by some manner of tragedy in the final act (one that we get premonitions of here). I can't wait to see where the final act takes us.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:47 pm

Sometimes Ori can be so frustrating like when you have to rely on enemy projectiles for movement and their timing is just slow enough to get you repeatedly killed

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm
Profile WWW

After seven or eight hours, I really, really dig The Last of Us.

It feels like an answer to everything I found annoying about Uncharted. There's much better integration of story and gameplay. When you least suspect it, you're treated to a short conversation or a bit of backstory. You're always interacting with whomever is travelling with you. The action sequences allow a greater variety of tactics: you can sneak past your enemies or blow them up or shoot them or run away or hit them with a pipe or just wait for them to leave while overhearing their conversations. Environmental storytelling is best in class. Also, the fact that you kill a lot of people is actually acknowledged by the narrative. Joel inhabits a clearly grey moral area, unlike happy-go-lucky, accidental-mass-murderer Nathan Drake. Basically, this is the best attempt at this kind of Big Story Action Game with Scripted Events and Playable Cinematics I've seen since, well, Half-Life 2: Episode Two. (Speaking of which, it'd be hard to overestimate the importance of Valve's franchise - both here and in the industry. From the buddy mechanics to the dystopian environment and narrative style, Half-Life 2 and its brief continuations are all over this Naughty Dog game. That said, not all cinematics are "playable" in The Last of Us, which certainly has its share of traditional movie-like interludes, yet many, many other dialogue bits are presented like they would be in Half-Life.)

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 pm

I just played that and agreed. I still think about it now and then. The only thing that annoyed me was the schematic surrogate-for-dead-daughter premise which is, uh, the central drama.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:05 am

Trip wrote:
I just played that and agreed. I still think about it now and then. The only thing that annoyed me was the schematic surrogate-for-dead-daughter premise which is, uh, the central drama.

Yeah. It's like Aliens, basically.

I guess it doesn't bother me that much precisely because it's so obvious. So I don't feel like it's something I have to figure out. It's like the game's telling me, explicitly and transparently, look, this is a story about a father who loses his daughter and then tries to protect her surrogate in dystopian America. So I just flow with it. Also, the writing and voice acting are really strong and help sell the concept.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:19 am

The story could have been pretty much completely the same, and probably better, without the compulsion to include that backstory for Joel.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:27 am

Fist wrote:
The story could have been pretty much completely the same, and probably better, without the compulsion to include that backstory for Joel.

Yeah, like Aliens. Except in Aliens they had the good sense to remove it for the theatrical release.

Still, great opening segment.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 am

You think it would have been better if they alluded to what happens? I enjoyed playing as her and watching the world go to hell.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:15 am
Profile YIM

Yeah, it's a strong opener. Already sick of dad-games though.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:21 am

I like the game quite a lot. Also love the Uncharted games. Especially 3.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 am

There's a dad game genre? How many others are there?

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:27 am

Uncharted games get better with each game. Even with 3 which was a bit too short for my liking they refined the gameplay and set pieces. It all culminates in Uncharted 4 which basically mixes all the best elements of Uncharted and TLOU.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:32 am
Profile YIM

Beau wrote:
There's a dad game genre? How many others are there?

Maybe more accurately tired of developers talking about how they're all at the parenting age and want to tell stories in their games to reflect that instinct, and more so the countless thinkpieces I've seen in reaction to that.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:01 am

Abzu is the most beautiful video game ever made. There is no close second. People who think that Journey is better are dead to me.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 am

Rasaokis wrote:
Abzu is the most beautiful video game ever made. There is no close second. People who think that Journey is better are dead to me.
Wait, waitititititi. This is out?.. it's on STEAM??? Fuck

I'm not ready for this. JOURNEY made me cry, like, three times. It's the BEST. You are here telling me that the best is... better?

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:01 am

I don't know if it'll tug at your heartstrings like Journey did, but there are about five or six moments in Abzu that are just as beautiful if not more so than the sand sliding moment in Journey.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:05 am

Inside is probably the best platformer I've played since the SNES era

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 am

Rasaokis wrote:
I don't know if it'll tug at your heartstrings like Journey did, but there are about five or six moments in Abzu that are just as beautiful if not more so than the sand sliding moment in Journey.
Good, good, that tends to be the stuff which tugs my heartstrings... that sand slide moment did me in. It will be hard to top the ending, but I'm glad that it's not going that root. Can only handle so much fatalism these days

INSIDE is another one I need to devour. That should be a peak experience if LIMBO is any indication.

That all being said, nothing comes close to the artistic heights reached by EDF 4.1. Love, life, happiness, sadness, sex, birth, death, rebirth. It's all there. EDF 4.1 is the meaning of life

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:36 am

Great, two more games to spend money on.

I haven't played Journey.

I have played Limbo: liked the art, liked the mechanics, but they never really came together for me. I never really understood what those physics puzzles were doing in a nightmare dreamscape.

It's not like Ico, where the puzzles convey the castle's function as a jail. Or like Portal, where the puzzles dramatise the tension between the protagonist and the artificial intelligence running the lab (or between players and game designers.) Limbo's, like, well, here you are in this oneiric environment, and here's a few awkward, random logic challenges, because, um, well, we need this to be a game, with obstacles and stuff, so...

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 pm

I'd like to play Inside. Pretty much any second of free-time (not much) goes to Overwatch, though.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 am

Lucioball is terrible, however.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:10 am

Fist wrote:
Lucioball is terrible, however.

Yeah and they didn't do themselves any favors ripping off Rocket League because that game is dope.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:13 am

Metroid 2 remake is about to hit the net
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.no/

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:59 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Metroid 2 remake is about to hit the net
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.no/

My only worry is that I guarantee there is no controller support. Still, I'll give it a shot using QWERTY.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:52 am

Samm@el wrote:
My only worry is that I guarantee there is no controller support. Still, I'll give it a shot using QWERTY.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/d ... 473662697/

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:05 am

It says so when you boot it up that it recommends using a controller. Let me try my 360 pad.
edit: Yep 360 pad works great.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:14 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
It says so when you boot it up that it recommends using a controller. Let me try my 360 pad.
edit: Yep 360 pad works great.

I'm seriously ecstatic to play this.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:39 am

I used something like that for The Binding of Isaac and a couple of other games but it's such a pain.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:40 am

Steam controller support is not really there past menu navigation

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:27 am
Profile WWW

I like the xbox one controller the most for pc play these days - it's nice to just plug and go with no extra steps.

Anyone played the Witcher 3 expansions? I really thought Hearts of Stone was quite good, but so far Blood and Wine is the kind of expansion that just elevates the entirety of the Witcher 3 for me.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:43 am

I installed AMD's gaming evolved app because I had an amazing Overwatch potg and lost it forever. Now I'm saving Overwatch highlights. That's how far I've fallen. The Evolved app seems okay. But it seems to have broken today and didn't save anything for today.

http://plays.tv/video/57ad5e621e03ad038 ... best-game-

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 am
Profile WWW

Key for Knight of Pen and Paper

Quote:
8TA5W-6D9NF-7V8FN

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 17373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 348  Next