It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:10 am



Reply to topic  [ 11320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227  Next
 Lists Lists Lists 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

topherH wrote:
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th: Final Chapter
Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan
Friday the 13th 2
Friday the 13th: The New Blood
Friday the 13th 3D


I'll play this one...

Friday the 13th, Part 2
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th, Part IV: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th
(2009)
Jason X
Friday the 13th
(1980)
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th, Part VII: New Blood
Friday the 13th 3-D
Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Freddy vs. Jason
Friday the 13th
Jason X

I'm okay with this.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:05 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Sidney Lumet movies I've seen, ranked:

1. 12 Angry Men - 10/10
2. The Pawnbroker - 9/10
3. Dog Day Afternoon - 9/10
4. The Verdict - 9/10
5. Network - 8/10
6. Running on Empty - 8/10
7. Serpico - 8/10
8. Murder on the Orient Express - 8/10
9. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 8/10

Need to see: Fail-Safe, Find Me Guilty, The Hill, Night Falls on Manhattan, Prince of the City

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)


Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

*knuckles*

1. Network
2. Dog Day Afternoon
3. 12 Angry Men
4. The Verdict
5. Serpico
6. The Hill
7. Deathtrap
8. Running On Empty
9. The Pawnbroker
10. Murder on the Orient Express
11. The Offence
12. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
13. The Sea Gull
14. Daniel
15. The Fugitive Kind
16. Q & A
17. Long Day's Journey Into Night
18. The Anderson Tapes
19. Fail Safe
20. Last of the Mobile Hot Shots
21. Equus
22. Power
23. The Morning After
24. The Group
25. Prince of the City
26. Child's Play
27. The Appointment
28. The Wiz
29. Loving Molly
30. Night Falls on Manhattan
31. Bye Bye Braverman
32. Family Business
33. Guilty As Sin
34. Find Me Guilty
35. Gloria
36. Critical Care
37. A Stranger Among Us

Top five are classics. 6-20 are very good. 21-30 are interesting but flawed. 31+ are just bad.

I still have several to see.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

12 Angry Men - A
Dog Day Afternoon - A
Network - A-
The Verdict - A-
Find Me Guilty - B-
The Wiz - C+

Huh, thought I'd seen more.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:53 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Jinnistan wrote:
*knuckles*

1. Network
2. Dog Day Afternoon
3. 12 Angry Men
4. The Verdict
5. Serpico
6. The Hill
7. Deathtrap
8. Running On Empty
9. The Pawnbroker
10. Murder on the Orient Express
11. The Offence
12. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
13. The Sea Gull
14. Daniel
15. The Fugitive Kind
16. Q & A
17. Long Day's Journey Into Night
18. The Anderson Tapes
19. Fail Safe
20. Last of the Mobile Hot Shots
21. Equus
22. Power
23. The Morning After
24. The Group
25. Prince of the City
26. Child's Play
27. The Appointment
28. The Wiz
29. Loving Molly
30. Night Falls on Manhattan
31. Bye Bye Braverman
32. Family Business
33. Guilty As Sin
34. Find Me Guilty
35. Gloria
36. Critical Care
37. A Stranger Among Us

Top five are classics. 6-20 are very good. 21-30 are interesting but flawed. 31+ are just bad.

I still have several to see.
It's too bad that more of these are unavailable on DVD and streaming than not. That also applies to his short-lived TV series, 100 Centre Street.
What are your main gripes with Prince of the City? While it sounds a lot like Serpico, that's next on my list.

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)


Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Torgo wrote:
What are your main gripes with Prince of the City? While it sounds a lot like Serpico, that's next on my list.

The main grip is that it's like a second-run Serpico, and seems to retread the same territory with very little to add. And Treat Willaims is no Pacino.


Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Lumet

1. Dog Day Afternoon
2. 12 Angry Men
3. Network
4. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
5. Serpico
6. Night Falls on Manhattan
7. Guilty As Sin

I really don't remember much about those last two, but I remember thinking NFOM to be decent back in the day.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

topherH wrote:
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th: Final Chapter
Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan
Friday the 13th 2
Friday the 13th: The New Blood
Friday the 13th 3D


FVJ
Jason Lives
The Final Chapter
Part 2
1980 Original
The New Blood
A New Beginning
Jason Takes Manhattan
Remake
Part 3 (3D)
Jason Goes To Hell
Jason X

_________________
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)


Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Jinnistan wrote:
*knuckles*

1. Network
2. Dog Day Afternoon
3. 12 Angry Men
4. The Verdict
5. Serpico
6. The Hill
7. Deathtrap
8. Running On Empty
9. The Pawnbroker
10. Murder on the Orient Express
11. The Offence
12. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
13. The Sea Gull
14. Daniel
15. The Fugitive Kind
16. Q & A
17. Long Day's Journey Into Night
18. The Anderson Tapes
19. Fail Safe
20. Last of the Mobile Hot Shots
21. Equus
22. Power
23. The Morning After
24. The Group
25. Prince of the City
26. Child's Play
27. The Appointment
28. The Wiz
29. Loving Molly
30. Night Falls on Manhattan
31. Bye Bye Braverman
32. Family Business
33. Guilty As Sin
34. Find Me Guilty
35. Gloria
36. Critical Care
37. A Stranger Among Us

Top five are classics. 6-20 are very good. 21-30 are interesting but flawed. 31+ are just bad.

I still have several to see.


No problem with the top five but would add. Then slot "Murder on the Orient Express", "Equus", "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead", "Deathtrap" and "Critical Care". That's my top 10 with the wet fart "The Wiz" at dead last.


Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Tarantino Ranked, Directed Only

1. Jackie Brown
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Death Proof
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. The Hateful Eight
7. Kill Bill Vol. 1
8. Django Unchained
9. Kill Bill Vol. 2


Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Slentert wrote:
Tarantino Ranked, Directed Only

1. Jackie Brown
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Death Proof
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. The Hateful Eight
7. Kill Bill Vol. 1
8. Django Unchained
9. Kill Bill Vol. 2


I still haven't seen Death Proof or The Hateful Eight, but...

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. Jackie Brown
6. Django Unchained

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Slentert wrote:
Tarantino Ranked, Directed Only

1. Jackie Brown
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Death Proof
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. The Hateful Eight
7. Kill Bill Vol. 1
8. Django Unchained
9. Kill Bill Vol. 2


1. Django Unchained
2. Pulp Fiction
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Kill Bill Vol. 2
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Jackie Brown
7. Reservoir Dogs
8. Death Proof
9. Kill Bill Vol. 1

Basterds and Vol. 2 flip flop from time to time.

_________________
This Is My New Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)


Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Jackie Brown
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Kill Bill Volume 1
6. Kill Bill Volume 2
7. Django Unchained
8. Death Proof
9. The Hateful Eight

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Pulp Fiction
Natural Born Killers
Jackie Brown
True Romance
Reservoir Dogs
Django Unchained
Hateful Eight
Inglorious Basterds
Death Proof
The Man From Hollywood
From Dusk Till Dawn
Kill Bill


Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Though it's been too long since I've seen either Kill Bill, out of all the ones I've seen...

Kill Bill, Vol. 2 9
Jackie Brown 9
Pulp Fiction 9

Reservoir Dogs 7.5
Kill Bill, Vol. 1 7.5
The Hateful Eight 6.25
Inglourious Basterds 6
Django Unchained
6

Tarantino was definitely one of my favorite directors in my teenage years (especially when it comes to Pulp Fiction, which I would obsessively rewatch on a near-daily basis), but I've developed a love/hate relationship with him over the years, especially with his recent trilogy of "historical" films; I feel that he's regressed as of late back to the style-over-substance mode he was in when he made Reservoir Dogs (which I never loved in the first place), going heavy on the needless scenes of bloated, self-indulgent dialogues and the overall flashy, self-aware directorial style, and going light on the intimate pathos and character development that characterized his best works for me (like Jules's monologue of redemption in the diner, the over-the-hill romance between Jackie Brown and Max, or the love/hate dynamic that develops between The Bride & Bill). I know his films are best known for their incessantly chatty characters and the little 4th wall breaks here and there, but those things are just the spice to his works, not the meat, but he seems to have gotten the two mixed up as of late. I'm still hoping that he'll be able to put out something new that'll please me, but he definitely needs a course correction if that's going to happen.

_________________
Recently Reviewed: You Were Never Really Here


Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Albums that I keep going back to and I've been obsessively listening too much for the last couple of years...

1. Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
2. Muse - The Resistance
3. Mark Lanegan - Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
4. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
5. Dream Theater - Live Scenes from New York

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:29 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Tarantino Ranked, Directed Only

1. Jackie Brown
2. Inglorious Bastards
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Pulp Fiction
5. The Hateful Eight
6. Death Proof

The rest just aren't really good. That, or just too over the top to enjoy.


Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Thief wrote:
Albums that I keep going back to and I've been obsessively listening too much for the last couple of years...


Fun idea, although I'm shortening it to past year.

01. Prince - Purple Rain
02. The Used - The Canyon
03. White Lies - Big TV
04. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
05. Meg Myers - Sorry / Daughter in the Choir (EP)
06. Jimmy Eat World - Integrity Blues
07. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
08. Metric - Fantasies
09. Yeasayer - Amen and Goodbye
10. Florence + the Machine = Ceremonials

And a shout-out to ambient album Mysterium by Hammock.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:54 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

DaMU wrote:
Fun idea, although I'm shortening it to past year.

01. Prince - Purple Rain
02. The Used - The Canyon
03. White Lies - Big TV
04. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
05. Meg Myers - Sorry / Daughter in the Choir (EP)
06. Jimmy Eat World - Integrity Blues
07. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
08. Metric - Fantasies
09. Yeasayer - Amen and Goodbye
10. Florence + the Machine = Ceremonials

And a shout-out to ambient album Mysterium by Hammock.


If I'd made a list of songs rather than albums, "Purple Rain" would probably be in it. I've worn the hell out of that song on YouTube during the last years too. Also, although I haven't heard Jimmy Eat World's Integrity Blues, Futures would probably be a bit further down that list I made.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:43 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

1. Django Unchained
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. The Hateful Eight
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Death Proof
7. Kill Bill: Vol 1
8. Kill Bill: Vol 2

I can't in good conscience rate Jackie Brown without watching it again, it's been far too long and I barely remember it. I'm generally fond of all things Tarantino, but Django and Reservoir Dogs are the ones that really mean something to me.


Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Thief wrote:
Albums that I keep going back to and I've been obsessively listening too much for the last couple of years...

2. Muse - The Resistance


Nice, I used to listen to this nonstop.


Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Spencie Returns wrote:

Nice, I used to listen to this nonstop.


If you ask me what is my favorite of their albums, I would probably say Absolution. But I literally listen to this one once a week, at least.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Thief wrote:
Also, although I haven't heard Jimmy Eat World's Integrity Blues, Futures would probably be a bit further down that list I made.


I'd recommend a Spotify listen, for sure. It's closer to Bleed American than Futures.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Albums that I keep going back to and I've been obsessively listening too much for the last couple of years...

Dan Deacon: Bromst
The Mae Shi: HLLLYH
Owen Pallett: Heartland
Japandroids: Post-Nothing
Battles: The Yabba
Hella: Hold Your Horse Is
Doseone: G is for Deep
WHY?: Alopecia
Madvillain: Madvillainy
The National: Sleep Well Beast (recently)


Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

QT movies

1. Kill Bill Vol. 1
2. Inglourious Basterds
2. Pulp Fiction
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Django Unchained
6. Death Proof
7. Kill Bill Vol. 2


Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

1) Kill Bill
2) Pulp Fiction
3) Jackie Brown
4) Django Unchained
5) Death Proof
6) Reservoir Dogs
7) Hateful Eight
8) Inglourious Basterds


Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Thief wrote:

I'll play this one...

Friday the 13th, Part 2
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th, Part IV: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th
(2009)
Jason X
Friday the 13th
(1980)
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th, Part VII: New Blood
Friday the 13th 3-D
Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan


Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part II
Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th Part III
Jason X
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning
Freddy Vs. Jason
Friday the 13th Part VII: New Blood
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhatten
Friday the 13th Part 9: Jason Goes to Hell

So many bad movies on this list


Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

The Friday the 13th movies have to be grouped between what are actually effective or clever movies and what are enjoyable purely because of how ridiculously stupid they are. As such...

The Competent
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th Part III
Friday the 13th Part II

The Ridiculous
Jason X
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
Freddy vs. Jason
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

The Boring (the most damning category)
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Godzilla Films Ranked:

1.) Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
2.) Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster)
3.) Shin Godzilla (Godzilla Resurgence)
4.) Gojira (1954) (Godzilla, King of the Monsters!)
5.) Godzilla vs. Gigan (Godzilla on Monster Island; War of the Monsters)
6.) Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) (Godzilla vs. The Thing)
7.) Godzilla (2014)
8.) King Kong vs. Godzilla
9.) Invasion of Astro-Monster (Monster Zero; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero)
10.) Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II (1993)
11.) Godzilla vs. Biollante
12.) Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (GMK)
13.) Godzilla vs. Hedorah (Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster)
14.) Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
15.) Godzilla: Final Wars
16.) Godzilla 2000: Millennium
17.) Destroy All Monsters
18.) Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
19.) Terror of MechaGodzilla
20.) Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
21.) Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
22.) Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
23.) Godzilla (1998)
24.) All Monsters Attack (Godzilla’s Revenge)

Haven’t Seen:

The Return of Godzilla (1984) (Godzilla 1985)
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla versus the Sea Monster)

Requires Rewatch:

Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974) (Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster; Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster)
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
Godzilla Raids Again


Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Top Five Comedies I can't live without (no order)

- MP & the Holy Grail
- Blazing Saddles
- Dr. Strangelove....
- Shawn of the Dead
- The Pink Panther

Can't go 10...


Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Spencie Returns wrote:
Godzilla Films Ranked:

1.) Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
2.) Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster)
3.) Shin Godzilla (Godzilla Resurgence)
4.) Gojira (1954) (Godzilla, King of the Monsters!)
5.) Godzilla vs. Gigan (Godzilla on Monster Island; War of the Monsters)
6.) Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) (Godzilla vs. The Thing)
7.) Godzilla (2014)
8.) King Kong vs. Godzilla
9.) Invasion of Astro-Monster (Monster Zero; Godzilla vs. Monster Zero)
10.) Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II (1993)
11.) Godzilla vs. Biollante
12.) Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (GMK)
13.) Godzilla vs. Hedorah (Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster)
14.) Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
15.) Godzilla: Final Wars
16.) Godzilla 2000: Millennium
17.) Destroy All Monsters
18.) Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
19.) Terror of MechaGodzilla
20.) Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
21.) Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
22.) Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
23.) Godzilla (1998)
24.) All Monsters Attack (Godzilla’s Revenge)

Haven’t Seen:

The Return of Godzilla (1984) (Godzilla 1985)
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla versus the Sea Monster)

Requires Rewatch:

Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974) (Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster; Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster)
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
Godzilla Raids Again


Oh my, can honestly say I have only viewed two. Not really on my radar.


Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:15 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

John Dumbear wrote:

Oh my, can honestly say I have only viewed two. Not really on my radar.


I've only seen three *high five*

(The original, and the two American versions)

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:14 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Michael Crichton books:

1. Sphere
2. Jurassic Park
3. Eaters of the Dead
4. The Lost World
5. The Andromeda Strain
6. Congo
7. Rising Sun
8. Disclosure
9. The Terminal Man
10. Timeline
11. State of Fear
12. Airframe

I'm stunned by how many of these I've read and how little most of them impacted me. I have trouble remembering the basic premises of 7, 8, 9, and 12 (I'm sure '90s pop thrillers about the threat of Japan and an evil workplace female have aged super well), and nothing below 5 would merit a re-read, even of select passages. Maybe Congo, but only as it pertains to the superior film of the same name and its relationship to H. Rider Haggard and other early pulp authors. And State of Fear, as a glimpse into the minds of well-educated shits who learn just enough about climate change to find the gaps needed to argue against it.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:33 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

DaMU wrote:
Michael Crichton books:

1. Sphere
2. Jurassic Park
3. Eaters of the Dead
4. The Lost World
5. The Andromeda Strain
6. Congo
7. Rising Sun
8. Disclosure
9. The Terminal Man
10. Timeline
11. State of Fear
12. Airframe

I'm stunned by how many of these I've read and how little most of them impacted me. I have trouble remembering the basic premises of 7, 8, 9, and 12 (I'm sure '90s pop thrillers about the threat of Japan and an evil workplace female have aged super well), and nothing below 5 would merit a re-read, even of select passages. Maybe Congo, but only as it pertains to the superior film of the same name and its relationship to H. Rider Haggard and other early pulp authors. And State of Fear, as a glimpse into the minds of well-educated shits who learn just enough about climate change to find the gaps needed to argue against it.

Coincidentally, I've recently given myself the task of watching all of Crichton's directorial efforts. There's 3 or 4 I've always wanted to see, and the recent re-emergence of Westworld has inspired me to finally check him out. Looks I'm in for about 50% wheat and 50% chaff. Although I'm very much looking forward to Runaway (check out that cast: Tom Selleck/Gene Simmons/Kirstie Alley). :)

_________________
Captain's Log


Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

I'll stick to films adapted from Michael Crichton, as I've only read a couple of his books.


Jurassic Park
The Terminal Man
Looker
Westworld
The Great Train Robbery
The Andromeda Strain
Coma
Rising Sun
Runaway
Disclosure
The Lost World
Congo
The Carey Treatment
Timeline
Sphere
13th Warrior


Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:23 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

DaMU wrote:
Michael Crichton books:

1. Sphere
2. Jurassic Park
3. Eaters of the Dead
4. The Lost World
5. The Andromeda Strain
6. Congo
7. Rising Sun
8. Disclosure
9. The Terminal Man
10. Timeline
11. State of Fear
12. Airframe

I'm stunned by how many of these I've read and how little most of them impacted me. I have trouble remembering the basic premises of 7, 8, 9, and 12 (I'm sure '90s pop thrillers about the threat of Japan and an evil workplace female have aged super well), and nothing below 5 would merit a re-read, even of select passages. Maybe Congo, but only as it pertains to the superior film of the same name and its relationship to H. Rider Haggard and other early pulp authors. And State of Fear, as a glimpse into the minds of well-educated shits who learn just enough about climate change to find the gaps needed to argue against it.

I'm kinder to a few of these than you are. Congo to me is probably the best execution of Crichton's pseudo-smart formula, and I'd place it over Jurassic Park as my favourite because the it isn't overshadowed by a movie done better in the same style, and also lacks the Crichton stand-in character who voices his opinions and is right about everything all the time. (Ian Malcolm is probably the least obnoxious iteration though.) Eaters of the Dead and The Great Train Robbery are his best written. Airframe is blah but fairly inoffensive. Agreed on State of Fear, but I'd put Rising Sun at the absolute bottom. Not only racist as hell, but also a totally worthless thriller, where the super smart detective who totally knew everything was gonna happen all the time can't catch shit.

My rankings (like all but the bottom three):

Congo
Jurassic Park
Eaters of the Dead
The Great Train Robbery
The Lost World
The Andromeda Strain
Sphere
Prey
Timeline
Airframe
State of Fear
Rising Sun

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm


Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Rock wrote:
I'm kinder to a few of these than you are. Congo to me is probably the best execution of Crichton's pseudo-smart formula, and I'd place it over Jurassic Park as my favourite because the it isn't overshadowed by a movie done better in the same style, and also lacks the Crichton stand-in character who voices his opinions and is right about everything all the time. (Ian Malcolm is probably the least obnoxious iteration though.) Eaters of the Dead and The Great Train Robbery are his best written. Airframe is blah but fairly inoffensive. Agreed on State of Fear, but I'd put Rising Sun at the absolute bottom. Not only racist as hell, but also a totally worthless thriller, where the super smart detective who totally knew everything was gonna happen all the time can't catch shit.


Maybe I'll give Congo another shot one of these days.

And the Crichton inserts have looped around and become campily lovable to me. I love how the book will be chugging along, and then you look ahead on your page and see uninterrupted bricks of dialogue text, and maybe your eye will catch an errant "statistics actually show" or "let me explain something to you." And it's like, buckle up, this author boy has Things to Say.

_________________
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.


Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Chris Hemsworth
Chris Evans
Chris Pratt
Chris Pine

Pine still fine though


Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Chris Hemsworth
Chris Evans
Chris Pratt
Chris Pine

Pine still fine though


Chris Columbus
Ruth Chris
Chris Evert
Chris Farley
Chris Rock
Chris Christie (bonus)


Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Re: Crichton, I read Congo when I was in my late teens and I loved it. It was a real page-turner for me. Probably the reason why I hate the film that came a couple of years later so much.

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:08 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

I'm not surprised that Pirate Latitudes isn't on any of the Crichton lists. Pardon the Yogi Berra-ism, but that's the most forgettable book I can remember reading.

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)


Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

I have a copy sitting around but never got around to it.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm


Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Top 10 first time viewings so far this year. Don't take the order too seriously.

1. The Long Goodbye
2. The Match Factory Girl
3. Suspiria
4. Rear Window
5. Johnny Guitar
6. Safe
7. Come and See
8. The Florida Project
9. Housekeeping
10. The Seventh Victim

I could see Safe climbing the list. It keeps growing in my mind.

HM: Shadow of a Doubt, Point Blank

Best rewatches: M, A Serious Man (favorite Coen Bros. easily)


Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:18 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

I'll play this one, if you don't mind...

Top 10 First Viewings of 2018

1. Moonlight (2016)
2. Phantom Thread (2017)
3. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
4. Paths of Glory (1957)
5. Sunset Boulevard (1950)
6. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
7. Lolita (1962)
8. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
9. Come and See (1985)
10. Train to Busan (2016)

_________________
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---


Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:35 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

I'll just leave this here...

Top 10 First Viewings of 2018 (till now)

1. Brazil
2. Chungking Express
3. Lost Highway
4. Harold and Maude
5. A Zed & Two Noughts
6. The Piano
7. Rebecca
8. Kiki's Delivery Service
9. Ikiru
10. Johnny Guitar

HM: Rumble Fish, His Kind of Woman, Miracle Mile

Favorite rewatches: Annie Hall, Jackie Brown, The Long Goodbye, Rushmore, Punch-Drunk Love

Favorite theater experience: Cronos


Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:55 am
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Top 10 First Viewings of 2018

1. Anomalisa
2. The Great Dictator
3. Your Name
4. Key Largo
5. The Florida Project
6. Mary and Max
7. Foxcatcher
8. Okja
9. Paddington
10. Something Wicked This Way Comes

I have The Dance of Reality (Jodorowsky) and The Immortal Story (Welles) DVDs by my TV. Hopefully, they'll bust this list.

_________________
Last Great Movie Seen
A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)


Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Chris Hemsworth
Chris Evans
Chris Pratt
Chris Pine

Pine still fine though


Two months later, and I'm fascinated by this ranking and how different it is from how I would order them.

Hemsworth over Evans? Madness!


Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

Top 10 First Viewings of 2018

1. The Devils
2. Boris Godounov
3. On Body and Soul
4. Young Frankenstein
5. Cat Ballou
6. My Happy Family
7. Little Shop of Horrors
8. The Florida Project
9. The Thing
10. Bessie

_________________
Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom


Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf


Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lists Lists Lists

I guess I should watch The Devils, huh.


Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.