It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 494381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9884, 9885, 9886, 9887, 9888
 Hamsterdam 
Post Re: Hamsterdam

Dang. They disabled my account

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:03 pm
Profile YIM

didn't work, hmph. i know i've had this problem before when switching computers but for the life of me can't remember how i fixed it.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:07 pm

ribbon wrote:
PS how is everyone? mist, love, etc
Ohai ribbon; I've been splitting my time these days between work (where I just got an "exceeds expectations" on my recent yearly evaluation!), spending time with my 2 new dogs at my apartment, and going to the movies on my days off and writing about them, in preparation for my first ever year in film review thread for sometime in January, I hope; exciting stuff, huh? So anyway, what's new with you?

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 am

aw, that's great! congratulations! i'm glad to hear it. i'll keep an eye out for the year in film thread. :up:

as for me, same as usual. about to celebrate three years of marriage to fist, hangin' with the cats, working a ridiculous job that should hopefully be replaced by another more lucrative place of work as soon as i can find one, etc. all good things.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:21 am

ribbon wrote:
aw, that's great! congratulations! i'm glad to hear it. i'll keep an eye out for the year in film thread. :up:

as for me, same as usual. about to celebrate three years of marriage to fist, hangin' with the cats, working a ridiculous job that should hopefully be replaced by another more lucrative place of work as soon as i can find one, etc. all good things.
Thank you :oops: I haven't been able to see a TON of films from this year so far, or any limited release titles in my small-ish town, but it'll be a start to what I'm hoping to make an annual thing, at least.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 am

me neither. disappointing year so far, in film.

kinda.

maybe.

i'll probably take that back.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:20 am

Here's everything I've seen so far, at any rate: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/list/2 ... ed/detail/

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:25 am

i've only seen six of those

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:03 am

ribbon wrote:
i've only seen six of those
What are they?

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 am

Also, Harry Dean Stanton passed away...

:(

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 am

Stu wrote:

He will be missed.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
He will be missed.

Yes indeed, yes indeed.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Stu wrote:

Shitty news. Stanton was a legend.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Stu wrote:
What are they?

get out
it comes at night
john wick 2
kong
logan lucky
split
planet of the apes

so i guess 7

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:38 am

I wonder how many cats Jedi is up to? 11?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:36 am
Profile YIM

ribbon wrote:
get out
it comes at night
john wick 2
kong
logan lucky
split
planet of the apes

so i guess 7
That's a decent start, at least; in addition to what you've already seen, I would recommend also checking out this year's other Logan, haha, as well as Wind River, Baby Driver, & even Dunkirk. I know it's Nolan and all, but it was just such a powerful experience, and much less talky/pretentious than anything he's ever done before. It's a bit of a game-changer for him as a storyteller, if I'm being honest about it.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:35 am

Wind River was good. I think it was Renner's best performance. And Lizzie Olson did great too.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile YIM

I haven't seen a lot of films from 2017, but of what I've seen so far, It Comes at Night is my favorite film of the year. I also recommend checking out the 3 short films Blomkamp made (they can be found on YouTube) as they're really good.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of films from 2017, but of what I've seen so far, It Comes at Night is my favorite film of the year. I also recommend checking out the 3 short films Blomkamp made (they can be found on YouTube) as they're really good.
It Comes At Night wouldn't quite make my top 10 of the year so far, and I'll probably never watch it again (it's just too a bit too small-scale and simplistic writing-wise to stick in my head that much), but I did enjoy the creepy, haunting atmosphere & style and had a pretty engaging time for the one theatrical viewing I took of it, so I sort of recommend it too, heh. As for my current #1 of the year, it's still gotta be Dunkirk, for sure.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:50 am

Stu wrote:
It Comes At Night wouldn't quite make my top 10 of the year so far, and I'll probably never watch it again (it's just too a bit too small-scale and simplistic writing-wise to stick in my head that much), but I did enjoy the creepy, haunting atmosphere & style and had a pretty engaging time for the one theatrical viewing I took of it, so I sort of recommend it too, heh. As for my current #1 of the year, it's still gotta be Dunkirk, for sure.

I didn't like Dunkirk, but I think Nolan did a good job avoiding exposition in it. I hope he continues that in the future. As for It Comes at Night, it's definitely small scale, but I think there's a bit of depth involved.
The hallucinations Travis undergoes could possibly be there to foreshadow his death. Also, the film definitely leaves you thinking about the state of the world throughout it.

As for my 2nd favorite, it's either Zygote or Rakka. I'm not as down on horror as some people are, but I've been havng great experiences this year with horror films so far.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:04 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I didn't like Dunkirk, but I think Nolan did a good job avoiding exposition in it. I hope he continues that in the future. As for It Comes at Night, it's definitely small scale, but I think there's a bit of depth involved.
The hallucinations Travis undergoes could possibly be there to foreshadow his death. Also, the film definitely leaves you thinking about the state of the world throughout it.

As for my 2nd favorite, it's either Zygote or Rakka. I'm not as down on horror as some people are, but I've been havng great experiences this year with horror films so far.
Agreed, except for the part when Branagh's character is looking across the Channel, and says something like "You can almost see it from here", and the other guy doesn't know what he means by "it"; dude, he meant your home country, what did you think? :P Anyway, have you ever played The Last Of Us? It has a similar plague-ridden post-apocalyptic atmosphere as ICAN, only much, MUCH more epic and emotional. Great, great game. And, as far as Horror goes, my favorite work in that style from this year currently has to be IT: hacky jumpscares aside, the coming-of-age dramas were strong enough to redeem it as a whole, and make it worth checking out.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 am

Stu wrote:
Agreed, except for the part when Branagh's character is looking across the Channel, and says something like "You can almost see it from here", and the other guy doesn't know what he means by "it"; dude, he meant your home country, what did you think? :P Anyway, have you ever played The Last Of Us? It has a similar plague-ridden post-apocalyptic atmosphere as ICAN, only much, MUCH more epic and emotional. Great, great game. And, as far as Horror goes, my favorite work in that style from this year currently has to be IT: hacky jumpscares aside, the coming-of-age dramas were strong enough to redeem it as a whole, and make it worth checking out.

The Last of Us is phenomenal. I haven't seen IT yet.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:57 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
The Last of Us is phenomenal. I haven't seen IT yet.
Indeed; I would almost kill to see Hollywood make a proper, faithful adaptation of TLoU someday, for sure. Such an emotional journey it was. Anyway, have you at least seen the older ABC miniseries of IT, or even read the book? Granted, it's over a 1,000 pages long, and it didn't really need to be (put down the typewriter at SOME point, King!), but it was still pretty good anyway. But, it isn't necessary at all to have read it in order to understand the movie, as they streamlined the source material down some, and simplified the nature of the monster in it (something it does better than the novel, even), so it's perfectly enjoyable in its own right.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:44 am

Stu wrote:
Indeed; I would almost kill to see Hollywood make a proper, faithful adaptation of TLoU someday, for sure. Such an emotional journey it was. Anyway, have you at least seen the older ABC miniseries of IT, or even read the book? Granted, it's over a 1,000 pages long, and it didn't really need to be (put down the typewriter at SOME point, King!), but it was still pretty good anyway. But, it isn't necessary at all to have read it in order to understand the movie, as they streamlined the source material down some, and simplified the nature of the monster in it (something it does better than the novel, even), so it's perfectly enjoyable in its own right.

I would kill to see an adaptation of TLoU. I feel a talented director could make a great film out of it. I haven't seen the mini-series or read the book. However, I might look into it someday.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:11 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I would kill to see an adaptation of TLoU. I feel a talented director could make a great film out of it. I haven't seen the mini-series or read the book. However, I might look into it someday.
Yup; it's just sitting there waiting, begging to be made into the first classic video game movie, y'know? Anyway, the book's pretty good, but not great, and like I said, is rather overlong, and you don't need to read it to follow the new movie, so I wouldn't be in any rush to get to it. And, I've heard mixed things about the miniseries, but I may watch it someday, just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the moviefilm someday.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:23 am

Stu wrote:
Yup; it's just sitting there waiting, begging to be made into the first classic video game movie, y'know? Anyway, the book's pretty good, but not great, and like I said, is rather overlong, and you don't need to read it to follow the new movie, so I wouldn't be in any rush to get to it. And, I've heard mixed things about the miniseries, but I may watch it someday, just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the moviefilm someday.

I've seen a few of the "scary" moments from the mini-series on youtube, and to be honest, I thought they were more cheesy then terrifying. I might check out the 2017 film though.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:43 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I've seen a few of the "scary" moments from the mini-series on youtube, and to be honest, I thought they were more cheesy then terrifying. I might check out the 2017 film though.
Yeah. And based off of this funny-ass review of it, the miniseries also has this odd obsession with trying to make balloons seem scary:

:D

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:57 am

Stu wrote:
Yeah. And based off of this funny-ass review of it, the miniseries also has this odd obsession with trying to make balloons seem scary:

:D

I laughed at 18:32.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I laughed at 18:32.
By the way Pops, NC just uploaded his review of the new IT recently, and it's pretty damn good stuff, IMO:

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

The Last of Us is basically already a film. It'd be pretty pointless to try to adapt it.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
The Last of Us is basically already a film. It'd be pretty pointless to try to adapt it.
I know, I know, but its story is just so good that I wouldn't mind at all just seeing a mostly-straight live-action version of it. Besides, with Hollywood's "spotty" track record with game adaptations, I think it's about time they did a mostly straight translation of a game with an already-acclaimed story; then, when they prove they can get that right, then maybe we can trust them with a more original, gane-based work...

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 494381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9884, 9885, 9886, 9887, 9888