It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Sketchbook Project and Other Visual Arts Stuff 
Post Re: The Sketchbook Project and Other Visual Arts Stuff

Huh, usually turned out pretty even for me.

Considering whether to completely seal the wood for my canvases or do it after an initial layer of painting, might do it selectively, then seal over when it comes to detail/satisfied with the effect.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:21 am

Thanks for the advice, Das and Hank. I like how it turned out. I still have one more scratchboard to play with.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 am

Okay, so board is really fun to paint on! Nice change in feeling after working with canvas pretty much exclusively for the past year. I like being able to make really precise shapes with painter's tape and a X-acto knife and not worrying about cutting through my painting surface.

I opened up a small show with my work from this quarter on thursday and it was pretty well received. I'm probably happier about this then I should be.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:51 pm

No reason to not get excited by a show of any kind! Congrats, Das! Interestingly enough, I had a show of my own on Friday... 3rd in the Burg (as they call it) is a group of all the galleries and businesses in the city that open art shows on the the 3rd Friday of the month. My show was titled Continuous and featured 20 pieces of art.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:08 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I mean, it's a big deal for me - It feels like this is going somewhere. I'm working for a bigger show next time - bigger pieces, more ambitious ideas, better details. I feel like I've had some great momentum this year, and I want to push it as hard as I possibly can.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:27 am

Speaking of - this is new, and early on, but I like the direction it's heading in - I think it'll inform the bigger work I have planned, and I have a few ideas with copper leaf in mind for it. - but having the option of working with a razor blade pretty freely on board opens up new avenues - I'm going to cut and fill in a lot of clean shapes against the more naturalistic brush-work, also, I want to work with color differently, layering on color groups seperate from one another at first, and only really mixing the groups wet in wet at the end. I want a definite crispness to the composition without sacrificing the spontaneity and energy of what I've been recently working with.

I've no turpenoid on me at the moment, stupidly left my jar in the workshop, so I have to get it before I can really get to work. Dry-brushing is limited in how much paint I can spread, and it makes cleaning brushes a total pain. This is 11 by 18.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 am

I like where this one seems to be heading as well. The copper could look really cool.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Yeah, painting on a board suits you well.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:43 pm
Profile WWW

Speaking of board, sealed this 4 foot by 4 foot board today, starting my attempt at a focused series of pieces for a bigger show next time. Painted for about 2 hours today. This guy's going to be a deer, various parts in decay, various parts in full healthy, life, life growing around it, getting in color and working out specifics for the bigger composition compared to the small painting I have in my sketchbook. I'm focusing on the circular, sustained cycle of life, the dead becomes fertile ground for new life, themes like that across 10 or more big paintings over the rest of 2013.
Oil and a bit of black ink so far.

Edit- further, a bit worried I might have to reseal the wood surface (i got it done pretty well, so not TOO worried), I'll see how it's dried in a week and if my seal for the board held up. Other paintings in progress on the sides.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Looking good Das! I am really enjoying your small effort on the lower right (it's progressing nicely from your previous post.) It's refreshing to see you work outside of your primary triad... The brown of the board works so well it that one!

I haven't posted anything for awhile...
Two from the beach (10x10 and 20x20):
Image Image

Two local (12x12 and 20x20):
Image Image

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:33 am
Profile WWW

The top right is lovely, Hank.

Thanks, I think the big piece looks best in sunlight right now, really need to get some worklights so I can have some clean, strong light working at night.
(like this, even if the quality of the photo's a bit naff. also, that gives a good look at my set of tools when painting.)

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:00 am

Ah, the Art bin... had one of those in college! And yeah, lighting my new studio two years ago was one of the things I struggled most with. I still have some changes that I want to make, actually. Good luck with fixing the light situation, there isn't much else that is more important when working in a studio.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:22 am
Profile WWW

Illuminant D65 is your lighting friend.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

ch-ch-changes.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 am

Kewl.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 am

Das wrote:
ch-ch-changes.

Wow, the addition of the blue really pumps up the interest!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Gort wrote:
Wow, the addition of the blue really pumps up the interest!

It also adds order and direction to the composition that wasn't there before - I'm building up layers of density and complexity in the lines and shapes, I'll start on painting my dead deer into the fungi-esque shapes soon, I think, there's a few more areas I want to push and pull with the lines still.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:19 am

Update:
Thinking of using another wooden panel and expanding the composition to 4 by 8 feet.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 am

Curious as to where you are at on this piece, Das. To me, this latest update was a step back from the previous... but I know how sometimes that is needed to get where you need to go. Did you decide to expand it?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 am
Profile WWW

I've put the piece to the side for now, I'm struggling to get any detailed feedback on it, and I'm only negative towards my own work so I'm working on other pieces.

But I did decide to expand it, the other canvas is primed, I'm at a bit of an impasse - do I finish the first panel, then let the second panel be informed by the decisions made in the first part of the composition, or do I work the second panel up, and see how the composition that arises from that informs the first panel, then add the final polish to the composition across both panels?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 am

Hm. I don't have the opportunity to give too much of a detailed feedback right now, but as far as how to approach the two pieces... based on the photo I'd treat them as two different pieces in a series and not try to be too heavy-handed in making them tie together. The first has a very circular flow and the second seems to be developing a good rhythm all on it's own. To give it a film spin, it's almost like Kill Bill Vol. 1 &2, they seem to have very different tones, but are parts of the same story. It might be best to keep them separate. But you may find that as you work they naturally draw themselves together.

I'd play it by ear.

I think the thing I miss most about the first is that it has lost some of it's crispness. It seemed very confident before, and since adding the greenish hues it seems a little unsure of itself. If that makes sense.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:00 am
Profile WWW

I need a clear, heavy seal before I can get back to work on those boards, particle board eats up the texture of the paints. So I've been working on a smaller piece in the meantime, still in progress.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 am

Hi, hello. These are the things I'm working on. They aren't complete, they'll get there. I appreciate your input.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:55 pm

It seems to me that you are benefiting from this series you've been on. There is a artistic voice that is starting to emerge through these works and it is exciting to see. The orange/yellow tones in the triptych did wonders for the piece. Also, the void in the lower right of the bottom one is a welcomed and refreshing development, as far as I'm concerned.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
It seems to me that you are benefiting from this series you've been on. There is a artistic voice that is starting to emerge through these works and it is exciting to see. The orange/yellow tones in the triptych did wonders for the piece. Also, the void in the lower right of the bottom one is a welcomed and refreshing development, as far as I'm concerned.

:fresh: It's also always a challenge to leave blank space in your graphics...such a space always seems to scream "put something here!" until you do. It takes great resolve (at least for me) to leave so much "empty" area, and allow it to have its own form.

I notice that you most often fill every part of your canvases, too. Do you have any photos on hand of examples where you didn't give in to the "voice?" I think you must, because you noticed it on das' piece. :)

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:21 am

Completed work (!!!)

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:26 am

These are two paintings I've been working on the past few days.

The one on the bottom looks like something I've seen before. What does it look like!?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Reminds me of Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:36 am

The colours are similar

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 am

The first has crisp colors, and pleasant movement. Nice.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 am

Pretty, traz!

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 am

traz wrote:
The one on the bottom looks like something I've seen before. What does it look like!?

Mondrian in a blender.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 am

anyone can use primary colours tho

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:59 am

Triadic

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:03 am

further adventures in painting, I'll edit in the rest of what I'm working on later tonight, maybe. 40 by 60 across 2 canvases on this one so far, oil, but probably working in acryllic for a bit brighter pigments and thinner coats for greater transparency (without having to risk Turpentine ruining the dry oils and twisting in hints of the oil layers underneath.)

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:25 am

If anyone still uses this thread (no) anyone got ways of starting particularly big pieces? I got a 40 by 60 canvas I've had for about a week, and some sizes just don't get crippling at the start.. I start big stuff like that by literally doing a warm-up painting in a couple of days, once there's something there, I'll typically go over 90% of that with the intended composition, a waste of paint in many, many ways but I like starting with exploration, finding the tone and mood I can tap into in the 'real' painting when I go at that.

Also, wow I haven't shown anything on here in like, a year. Big bump. PS bear, fuck your imposed pixel height limit for reallll.
This is older
This is newer:
All are much bigger but that gives an idea.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Interesting work, Das. I enjoyed the update (even if I'm sure the computer screen is not doing your work justice). #5 is striking in my opinion.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:43 am
Profile WWW

For those of you (maybe 3 of you?) wondering... I'm still alive.
Recent inkwash in progress:

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:36 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Recent inkwash in progress:
Ooh! :heart:

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:22 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ooh! :heart:

Thanks Shieldmaiden... How have you been?

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:55 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Thanks Shieldmaiden... How have you been?
Whoops, missed this. I don't get in here as often as I used to. I'm fine, though. You? I've missed you (and your art). :)

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:46 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Whoops, missed this. I don't get in here as often as I used to. I'm fine, though. You? I've missed you (and your art). :)

I would've never known you missed it... because I don't get in here like I used to either. Glad to here you are doing fine. I am as well. Busy.

I can't even remember the last time I went to a movie theater... but there are some films coming up that I am really looking forward to and hope that I can find time to go. Just finished reading (listening to) Inherent Vice yesterday. I think it'll make for a film right up my ally. Plus, I've enjoyed most of PT Anderson's work.

You know what, screw it. I'm going to revive Inspired By... with a post sometime this weekend. Let's see... which film should be my first in the thread's resurrection...

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
You know what, screw it. I'm going to revive Inspired By... with a post sometime this weekend. Let's see... which film should be my first in the thread's resurrection...
Oh, hooray! I didn't want to pester you about that. But, you knew... :)

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Oh, hooray! I didn't want to pester you about that. But, you knew... :)

:heart:

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am
Profile WWW

Anyone have suggestions on what to draw in my sketchbook? My pen & ink teacher made a good point that if you're drawing only once or twice a week, you spend half your time essentially warming up so that's half my class time where I'm almost useless. But when I go to draw my brain just goes to mush and I close my book. I've heard drawing hands is supposed to be good practice but that gets boring kinda fast.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:47 am
Profile WWW

I just draw whatever is in front of me, helps me keep observation skills sharp, frequently makes me exercise life-drawing, perspective, et. al, while keeping my hand loose.

I don't know if I've commented on this, but while I like a lot about your style hank, the value range you tend to use with faces isn't compelling to me - I feel like you could use a step up, as the mixture of greys and darks is often there, but the hits of light don't tend to translate. This could just be the photos though.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:54 am

Appreciate the thoughts, Das... and in all honesty don't really know if it is my photos or my use of (admittedly) low contrast in faces. In reality, it's probably the combination of both that causes an issue. It'd be nice if I could afford a good scanner.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW

Such talented and inspirational people in this thread. Das reminds someone of Turner and some of Hank's 'scapes are reminiscent of late Jack Butler Yeats which is work i adore and find highly undervalued. i have a juried group show opportunity in March, if one of my two entrants make it into the show i will be satisfied. i just recently finished documenting my last two years of painting with decent photographs so i can make prints for a portfolio/adequate email images.

edit: Hank i would like to see you working on much larger canvases!

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 am

These are two of my odder pieces, especially the one that looks Rothko :P. The story with that one is that it's actually a completely representational image of a wall, the rectangular formation was blocked by a fridge and had this paint formation behind it, the rest is wallpaper being stripped. i like it and yet i hate that the most original creative spark i've had would probably make people think i'm a Rothko fanboy lol. i'd be afraid to show this to my artist's society.

The interior is inspired by Perfect Dark, i have combined elements i liked from five or six different rooms but at the same time tried to keep it minimal.

Game interior, inspired by Perfect Dark

Cropped fridge spot and stripped wallpaper

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:42 am

That Game Interior has an awesome sense of atmosphere.

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next