It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Sketchbook Project and Other Visual Arts Stuff 
Post Re: The Sketchbook Project and Other Visual Arts Stuff

ribbon wrote:
this one is especially lovely

That one was about 90% done after the first couple hours... then it got pushed aside for a few weeks because I got stuck on it. Which seems to happen to me fairly often... because of that, I probably have 15 or so pieces in progress at any given time. Right now I have paintings as small as 4"x4" and as large as 3'x4' in progress. Plus, I have my ink washes and my drawings as well.

Thanks for the thoughts Genie and rouge. I have been so swept up in creating lately, it's good to hear some feedback.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:19 am
Profile WWW

I haven't been able to paint anymore since my turpenoid supply ran out - need to actually replace that soon.

One of these days I'd like to collaborate on something with Hank - that probably won't happen though.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:24 am

Das wrote:
I haven't been able to paint anymore since my turpenoid supply ran out - need to actually replace that soon.

One of these days I'd like to collaborate on something with Hank - that probably won't happen though.

It would be interesting, for sure. If I recall, we are on opposite sides of the country... so it'd probably have to be online somehow. An Exquisite Film Review Corpse thread by Das and Hank or something.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

I work digitally and traditionally, so if one of us gets to avoid shipping art across the country - that'd make everything much, much easier.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:05 pm

I came up with an idea how you could work the collaboration a continent apart, and still really paint.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 am

Gort wrote:
I came up with an idea how you could work the collaboration a continent apart, and still really paint.

I've thought briefly about some ideas, but am curious what yours is.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:41 am
Profile WWW

Postcards.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:45 am

Carrier pigeon.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:02 am

I'm working on something, but wiped away the original composition today and recoated the canvas because the composition didn't seem to be going anywhere productive - so nothing exciting to show, that said, I've been look at a lot of John Berkley's paintings pretty closely lately - as the subject is similar to what I'm aiming for at the moment. And man, that guy's sense of value and color saturation were absolutely impeccable, you don't really even notice it at first, but his landscapes are made up of so many different hues and saturation levels I just haven't been considering - I've been actively extracting the palettes and limiting myself to using them just to see the kind of build the guy did, and it's hard, incredibly hard to get the kind of color variance and cohesion he frequently achieved - but it's also incredibly helpful to build up a better idea on how to approach the current work I'm doing.

Anyone else(HANK) done similar? I should do more master studies really, there's so much in some of those paintings to learn it's incredible.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Das wrote:
I'm working on something, but wiped away the original composition today and recoated the canvas because the composition didn't seem to be going anywhere productive - so nothing exciting to show, that said, I've been look at a lot of John Berkley's paintings pretty closely lately - as the subject is similar to what I'm aiming for at the moment. And man, that guy's sense of value and color saturation were absolutely impeccable, you don't really even notice it at first, but his landscapes are made up of so many different hues and saturation levels I just haven't been considering - I've been actively extracting the palettes and limiting myself to using them just to see the kind of build the guy did, and it's hard, incredibly hard to get the kind of color variance and cohesion he frequently achieved - but it's also incredibly helpful to build up a better idea on how to approach the current work I'm doing.

Anyone else(HANK) done similar? I should do more master studies really, there's so much in some of those paintings to learn it's incredible.

When I was in my early 20's I did go through a significant stage of color palette studies in regard to my favorite pieces. I think it was a good time for me. I didn't produce many paintings that I still like today, but it was significant to my growth. After a while I created a painting that was in one color palette, and turn it upside down and did a much looser painting over top in a different color palette.... I let sections of the previous painting poke through and allow for color combinations to occur that I would have never thought of otherwise. This is not too far off from where I'm at right now, although now I plan it out a bit more and my eye for color has evolved since then. I also don't tend to do a full painting underneath, but rather a under painting that has the tones and highlights that I think will fit the finished piece.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile WWW

New preliminary sketches, and college workstation.

(the '5 by '3 was recently redone with undertones, still drying)

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 am

3 by 4, oil and acrylic - about halfway done. If you even care.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm

It's interesting to see how it ties in with your smaller piece from the previous post. There are a lot of parallels between the two; color, proportion of the rectangle, placement of the figure. Curious: Is this for class or for pleasure? Obviously 'both' is an option as well.

(I always care)
Hoping that you'll keep us updated.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:48 pm
Profile WWW

I care, since that's cool art :oops:

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 am

Hank wrote:
It's interesting to see how it ties in with your smaller piece from the previous post. There are a lot of parallels between the two; color, proportion of the rectangle, placement of the figure. Curious: Is this for class or for pleasure? Obviously 'both' is an option as well.

(I always care)
Hoping that you'll keep us updated.

Class, but if I don't enjoy a painting - I tend to not paint at all, be it for pleasure or work, so really, the answer's both.

I feel like the bigger I work, the more comfortable I am with the work oddly, for most it's the opposite, but when painting I really want all the space I can get, so I can integrate the whole of my arm's movement into the brushwork comfortably. This has probably been the most relaxing painting I've done in a while, yet at the same time it's the biggest canvas I've worked on all year.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 am

Further progression:
Shadows to the cloth figure are in order (and the bottom of the tree behind it), as is pulling back in some of the color I lost today with glazing, then most of what remains is refinement and detail.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Not sure if anyone here can be of help, but I'm looking to buy a tablet to start practicing some digital work. I'm looking for really inexpensive but not worthless. The Wacom Bamboo Splash and Bamboo Create seem to be my best options for what I'm looking for/willing to pay. Anyone here have any advice, info, experience with either these tablets or any other options I could peruse?

Stories We Tell, (2012) - Sarah Polley
Spiderbaby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told, (1967) - Jack Hill

Il est six heures/Gary's Ghastly Gallery/mubi/last.fm

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm

You can get a medium wacom intuos 2 or 3 medium pretty cheap these days, and those would be what I'd go for. I'm still on my medium wacom intuos 2 and it's served me very well. I tried the bamboo and fucking hated it, returned it in under a week for my money back.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Das wrote:
You can get a medium wacom intuos 2 or 3 medium pretty cheap these days, and those would be what I'd go for. I'm still on my medium wacom intuos 2 and it's served me very well. I tried the bamboo and fucking hated it, returned it in under a week for my money back.

What was your issue with the bamboo's?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm

The texture and feel of working on it wasn't a good experience - I didn't like how the tablet generally responded with brush pressure and the workspace of the tablet was simply too small - you don't actually want a big tablet unless you go for a cintiq - but you don't want to be working in a cramped space either, and the bamboo felt tiny to work on, there wasn't really room to use the range of motion and precision how I wanted. I've heard it's an alright beginner's tablet - but I don't really agree with that - the working space it too small, the responsiveness isn't what you want out of a tablet - it's one of the few Wacom tablets I've tried and felt was not very good at all.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Jeez, just discovered this thread and must say most of the stuff here's too good for me.
Here's something I tried, a long back now, on Corel Painter, with a tablet.
Gotta love Jimmy!! :heart:

Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 pm

I love Jimmy's face there, looks like hes trying to kiss the music emanating out of his geetar.

Finally bought tablet, went with the Bamboo Splash due to its affordability (50 bucks), It'll have to do for now and it''s portable which helps because I commute. Busted it out for a quick trial sketch of Deadman. Fun.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 am

are they still doing this sketchbook project thing officially?

because I love it and I'll do it and tell all my friends and they will tell theirs.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 am

Completed piece, want to get a better photo of this for portfolio purposes, but it's done.
New work, in progress. Iphone's camera (not mine, side-note) makes the colors look gaudy, in general though, seriously fuck photography for work that's this big. I wish there was some way to just showing paintings to size without a massive photo that you have to scroll around. You just lose a lot posting a 3 foot by 4 foot painting into a small, web friendly photograph. (Applicable to both the above and below pieces, same size)

Wed May 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Kewl.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Done with the above painting, nearing completion on a smaller, latter piece, which I started a week or two ago as well. PROGRESS. If I can get 5 pieces done for this course/myself, I'll be real pleased.

This is 3 by 4 feet, oil
and this is 2 by 2 feet, oil as well.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 am

Trippy, Das :oops:

Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

Quick excercise in sumi, charcoal, white chalk and photoshop I liked.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:16 pm

i can dig it, das

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Thu May 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Ditto! :)

Thu May 23, 2013 2:11 pm

I miss seeing other people's work more frequently. Show me what you're doing other artists.

Two early works in progress
Most of the brushwork is blocking in and placeholding at the moment - stuff quickly roughed in to remind me where light/objects/fog are. Mixing vector techniques and digital painting techniques as I build more and more detail. It's of the talented Wata of Boris. going to deviate from the stock more as I go along I think, definitely toning down the fog from the photo I'm working on, which is what the big white blob is.
The paint was still wet (hence the sheen) and the photo made my reds heavier on orange and my yellows in the figure kind of green, but it's the 5th painting I'm working on for a show - more detail, more emphasis and color contrast as it goes along.

Fri May 31, 2013 12:53 pm

omg wata :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Fri May 31, 2013 12:57 pm

did you go see them when they were in seattle?
they put on probably the best live show ive ever seen, first night i stood infront of takeshi the second night right in front of wata, i nearly cried when they were playing flood i thought i would never get to hear it live

Fri May 31, 2013 12:58 pm

rad wrote:
did you go see them when they were in seattle?
they put on probably the best live show ive ever seen, first night i stood infront of takeshi the second night right in front of wata, i nearly cried when they were playing flood i thought i would never get to hear it live

Yeah.

Pretty easily a top ten of all time live show.

Fri May 31, 2013 1:01 pm

cant wait to see what you do with that painting. its already, in blocking, looking great.

Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 pm

WIPS, WAPS, BAPS. Wata's coming along way slower than I'd like, but mostly because I've had papers to write and tests to study for, I've only been able to work in like, 10 minute intervals on it for the past 4 days. This week I'm aiming to get a lot done in the free time I have. The other piece is coming together bit by, texture and pulling detail out is the priority for now.
Image Image
I finally for decent photos for some of the more recent stuff I've got done here and here. (desaturated a bit as photos do to paintings, but they mostly preserve the detail, so I'll take it!)

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm

That music one just looks AMAZING, no kidding.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 pm

beautiful work

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 pm

You should do more digital work Das, it's really, really good.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

It's odd, I think the digital piece still looks very unfinished right now (because it is unfinished).

I feel like a lot of my traditional work doesn't translate well to digital, it's a variety of things, but I think mainly, it's the size discrepancy - a thumbnail will rarely do a composition painted at '3 by '4 or even 10' by 10' much justice. I think that's something you have to account for with scope or the size of your focus from the outset. You can almost never properly convey the viewing size, the texture and color as it appears in the flesh - that or I can't crack how to photograph or post-process them, that's possible. But I almost always feel personally like my traditional work is better - it's more satisfying to make to me at least. Some artists have it figured out, but I haven't yet.

But I probably should, it's just digital work I associate with the stuff I have to do commercially that I don't care for like logo-making and touch-up/busywork. I should probably get myself to initiate personal projects more in digital. It's definitely more web friendly, and you don't have to be next to it to appreciate the detail and scope of the work.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:42 pm

It does look unfinished, but I like where it's going. Also, the lighthouse piece you posted was beautiful, had it in mind too when I made my post.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:14 pm

That top one is delightful. Unfinished or not, it's great as is.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:10 pm

a quick self portrait.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 am

Scratchboard, I'm assuming. Pretty nice, although you do look a touch mad with the jutted out chin.

This seems like the right place for this:
I just built my first few canvas (wood canvases, I should specify, I don't got the extra money to get canvas by the yard for what I need) for my next series - one 6 by 8 foot, the other 4 by 4 foot. No camera on me right now, so no pictures yet, but I'm hoping my upcoming show with my current work goes well, or else I'm going to have 4-6 giant paintings sitting around come fall/winter. I'm taking a lot of risks with materials as well, I'm stocked on inks, acryllics and oils, and I have the raw material to mix egg tempera. I don't know if I'm going over my head here, but I really want to push myself further and further this year. I'll be dealing a lot with more explicit ideas, decompisition and how the body cycles back to nature in its passing. I've been sketching so many potential compositions.

On that note, what are other people doing? I like seeing other poster's work a lot.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm currently taking a course on coursera.org to get a better handle on Processing to see if I can maybe make some interesting digital works, as I think I might be taking a multimedia installation type course in school this upcoming year and want to get a jump start. So far it's quite a bit to get my head around and can get really frustrating when code doesn't work all because you accidentally forgot to put a letter in upper-case; though at least Processing will usually highlight the area of discrepancy for you. We'll see how things go...

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:24 pm

I was asked to do this one of our dog. Still trying to make the ear look more... cohesive. Suggestions welcome, but it is scratchboard, so there is a limited amount I can do.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:33 am

Das wrote:
Scratchboard, I'm assuming. Pretty nice, although you do look a touch mad with the jutted out chin.

It is and thanks, I agree about the chin. Unfortunately, scratchboard isn't very forgiving.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:37 am

Awesome, BSB!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 am

BSB Soundsystem wrote:
I was asked to do this one of our dog. Still trying to make the ear look more... cohesive. Suggestions welcome, but it is scratchboard, so there is a limited amount I can do.

You don't have black ink or paint around? That's like the white-out of scratchboard (to my memory, I've worked with scratchboard, but it isn't my favorite medium to work with, so I haven't in a while), it isn't perfect, but it covers stuff up at a distance. More dark transition between the ear and the face, the ear's a white mass that seems to continue into the body. Just a bit more dark area creating a clear border between the ear and the body could be a nice unifier.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I was always partial to scratch board myself (years ago)... I tried using ink to cover a mistakes. The ink would bleed in the frayed surface of the paper causing inconsistent edges and often would just make the mistake look even worse. If that didn't happen then the blacks didn't match. While you are right Das, that it would cover some things from a distance... scratch art lives and breathes up close. When people get see the effort taken to scratch off the black surface. It's a unique mark. If I ever made a mistake, I'd always start over.

But I certainly don't think that you need to start over BSB. If it were my piece, I'd say that it is really successful for the left 2/3rds. I feel like more care needs put into the right. The mark making looks like less thought went into it. A little too sparse as well. I'd use some thin, controlled lines to create a softer transition from the blacks to whites. I think that it looks very good, but that is what I'd do if it were mine.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next