It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 This Is The Cooking Thread. 
Post This Is The Cooking Thread.

It's where we talk about cooking, believe it or not.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 am
Post Re: This Is the Cooking Thread.

My electricity thread almost seems like a parody in anticipation of all these silly threads.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:55 am
Post Re: This Is The Cooking Thread.

Cooking is not silly. Oh you just wait till Rouge gets here.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 am
Post Re: This Is the Cooking Thread.

Trip wrote:
My electricity thread almost seems like a parody in anticipation of all these silly threads.
Post +1

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:04 pm

I love cooking, but I go a bit overkill when I find a recipe I like. One I'm really loving lately is this one for pasta;

Ingredients
1 pound spaghetti
2/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Directions
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.

Depending, I don't always add the basil (usually just because I forget to buy it) and often include sundried tomatoes, sometimes using the broth from rehydrating them instead of that from the pasta cooking itself.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:14 pm

I cook a lot, but I only resort to recipes when the project at hand seems like it could very easily get out of hand... and then I take the recipe, modify it to the ingredients I have, and things get out of hand. Still, always tasty. Always.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:21 pm

I am a philistine.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile WWW

This is my recipe for toast.

2 pieces of bread, any variety
2 teaspoons of butter

On a medium setting, toast the bread in a toaster or toaster oven. After toasting, remove the bread from the toaster. Apply one teaspoon of butter to each slice. Consume. For greater eating challenge, leave out butter.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Neclord wrote:
This is my recipe for toast.

2 pieces of bread, any variety
2 teaspoons of butter

On a medium setting, toast the bread in a toaster or toaster oven. After toasting, remove the bread from the toaster. Apply one teaspoon of butter to each slice. Consume. For greater eating challenge, leave out butter.

Why a spoon and not a knife? This recipe is too confusing.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I love cooking, but I go a bit overkill when I find a recipe I like. One I'm really loving lately is this one for pasta;

Ingredients
1 pound spaghetti
2/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Directions
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.

Depending, I don't always add the basil (usually just because I forget to buy it) and often include sundried tomatoes, sometimes using the broth from rehydrating them instead of that from the pasta cooking itself.

This one does sound like a keeper. That lemon and parmesan mix in particular sounds kinda wild. Do you ever get the sundried tomatoes packed in oil? The you could use that oil as a substitute for some of the extra virgin (I assume) olive oil.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Also, yeah, I made a goddamn cheesecake the other day. Bask in my glow, mortals.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Trip wrote:

Why a spoon and not a knife? This recipe is too confusing.

Simple alternative: wrap raw bread around a stick of butter and stick it in the microwave. No utensils necessary.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Neclord wrote:

Simple alternative: wrap raw bread around a stick of butter and stick it in the microwave. No utensils necessary.

I can't help but think of Homer.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Trip wrote:

I can't help but think of Homer.

Mmm... moon waffle.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Where's the goddamn "report post" button?

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

This one does sound like a keeper. That lemon and parmesan mix in particular sounds kinda wild. Do you ever get the sundried tomatoes packed in oil? The you could use that oil as a substitute for some of the extra virgin (I assume) olive oil.

Lemon and Parmesan are a great mix actually. I've made a few lemon related pasta sauces, and I think the biggest problem is that the lemon flavour isn't pronounced enough. The absorbency of the Parmesan sucks up a lot of that flavour, but it's never overpowering. It's actually a beautiful mix. I have bought sundried packed in oil, but I actually usually dislike the way most of them flavour/spice the olive oil. So I rarely, if ever, use it.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Lemon and Parmesan are a great mix actually. I've made a few lemon related pasta sauces, and I think the biggest problem is that the lemon flavour isn't pronounced enough. The absorbency of the Parmesan sucks up a lot of that flavour, but it's never overpowering. It's actually a beautiful mix. I have bought sundried packed in oil, but I actually usually dislike the way most of them flavour/spice the olive oil. So I rarely, if ever, use it.

Hmmm, interesting. I generally try to keep my parmesan kind of pristine when I'm cooking, but I may try this lemon juice thing next time I make a pasta salad. I actually know very little about sundried tomatoes, I really dislike them, so chewy, it just seemed like a good idea given general cookery principles. Like how I use the marinade from a jar of artichoke hearts as the base for my vinagrette when I make greek salad.

So, I'm thinking falafel tomorrow, and I kinda rock it already, but any secrets up your sleeve?

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 pm

For the falafel itself, or the wrap or whatever you want to put it in?

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
For the falafel itself, or the wrap or whatever you want to put it in?

Whatevs you got, yo. I tried Panthro's "persian" tzatziki sauce last time (swap out the dill for mint) it wasn't nearly the bold flavor assault he promised, but an interesting digression from standard nonetheless.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

Whatevs you got, yo. I tried Panthro's "persian" tzatziki sauce last time (swap out the dill for mint) it wasn't nearly the bold flavor assault he promised, but an interesting digression from standard nonetheless.

I've never made my own falafel's, my dad has though. As far as combos go, I like how the flavour of the falafels' mixes with fried cauliflower.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I've never made my own falafel's, my dad has though. As far as combos go, I like how the flavour of the falafels' mixes with fried cauliflower.

Woah, like in the pita with the falafel? That could be interesting, I usually keep it standard with just some sliced pickles, diced tomatoes and tzatziki sauce.

I usually put some sauteed onion, garlic, and red pepper into the falafell itself, aside from the mashed chickpeas , flour and an egg of course.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

Woah, like in the pita with the falafel? That could be interesting, I usually keep it standard with just some sliced pickles, diced tomatoes and tzatziki sauce.

I usually put some sauteed onion, garlic, and red pepper into the falafell itself, aside from the mashed chickpeas , flour and an egg of course.

sliced pickles? WTF bitch.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:00 pm

That's the classic way ho.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:02 pm

middle eastern people don't pickle things.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:03 pm

except the severed nuts of the infidel enemies.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Is turkey in the middle east? I don't know, this isn't about geography. It's about the fact that I read pickles are standard once on wikipedia, and I am goddamn well standing behind that. Also, they're crispy and good.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:05 pm

the flavour of pickles just don't mix for me.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 pm

You're completely wrong about everything, but that's fine, whatever. It's not like I changed your world when it came to mashed potatoes or anything, so yeah, I could see why you have reason to doubt me.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:10 pm

This is like Jesus and God or something, but more like Moses. I'm Moses, and you are God and you told me something and even though you're God I doubt you or don't believe you but you're like freaking God. So you smite me. But smite is more like playful sexy spanking, which is pleasurable for all.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:12 pm

It is exactly like that. There will be pics tomorrow, of proper falafel.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:17 pm

I was flipping a crab cake earlier tonight, touched my hand to the edge of the hot pan, and jerked my hand up. The crab cake flew across the stove and into the toaster. It was hilarious.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:
It is exactly like that. There will be pics tomorrow, of proper falafel.

right falafel...

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm

I want pics of the spanking.

Video will also suffice.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

Philosophe rouge wrote:
right falafel...

Srsly though, I'm okay with your religious incest metaphors, but we're not bringing food into the bedroom. I have one rule, and that is it.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

Srsly though, I'm okay with your religious incest metaphors, but we're not bringing food into the bedroom. I have one rule, and that is it.

I wouldn't really want food in the bedroom :/ So, we're on the same page.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I wouldn't really want food in the bedroom :/ So, we're on the same page.

Yeah, it's kinda gross, and cleanup; don't get me started. But everyone rents 9.5 Weeks when they are 19, and it always ends badly.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda gross, and cleanup; don't get me started. But everyone rents 9.5 Weeks when they are 19, and it always ends badly.

movies ruin everything

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Aw, Malloy wanted to start one of these.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

My boyfriend is vegan and can't have gluten, so I've been trying to figure out what I can cook for him, especially because my parents want to have him over for dinner, and they're all meat-and-potatoes types. I can't think of any damn thing that would make them all happy. I used to make vegan meals for myself fairly often, but it was always pasta (which he can't have), or Asian-influenced dishes (which my mom won't eat). Should I just give up? I've never backed down from a food challenge before :(

tumblr

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 am

There are solutions. I just don't have any of them. My brother worked with this vegan chef that... I know nothing about except that Oprah uses him... anyway, he said that the guy had some amazing stuff that he could do that would make you forget it was vegan at all, including creams that would pass as dairy, only tastier, that were made of nuts, instead. Of course, he also has all kinds of fancy equipment, but I'm sure that there are ways you could make everyone happy. You just may have to do a bit of research.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 am

Orpheline wrote:
My boyfriend is vegan and can't have gluten, so I've been trying to figure out what I can cook for him, especially because my parents want to have him over for dinner, and they're all meat-and-potatoes types. I can't think of any damn thing that would make them all happy. I used to make vegan meals for myself fairly often, but it was always pasta (which he can't have), or Asian-influenced dishes (which my mom won't eat). Should I just give up? I've never backed down from a food challenge before :(

I spent some time last fall with and old friend and his wife. Both of them are vegan. We ended up eating a shitload of veggies, but some of the dishes has pasta in them. There is such a thing as gluten-free pasta. You just have to look for it. A veggie heavy, gluten-free meal is quite tasty if you add enough spices. Good Luck!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:09 am

BigJilm wrote:
I spent some time last fall with and old friend and his wife. Both of them are vegan. We ended up eating a shitload of veggies, but some of the dishes has pasta in them. There is such a thing as gluten-free pasta. You just have to look for it. A veggie heavy, gluten-free meal is quite tasty if you add enough spices. Good Luck!

That's true, and I'm sure he has some that I could use. As far as the spices thing goes, my parents are just really picky about it. They like classic American food and some Italian, but not really the flavors I would use to make it tasty (like olives and capers). I might just make two different dishes and call it a day.

tumblr

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 am

Orpheline wrote:
That's true, and I'm sure he has some that I could use. As far as the spices thing goes, my parents are just really picky about it. They like classic American food and some Italian, but not really the flavors I would use to make it tasty (like olives and capers). I might just make two different dishes and call it a day.

Sadly, that's probably the best solution.

Eating vegan is a good deal more healthy, but I don't think I could do it for very long. I love cheese too much.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:17 am

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 am

I can't cook. DUH, I'm going to throw a beautiful animal in my bin now.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:48 am

What is the best way to prepare a man who has been stuffed by the pages of a book on the French revolution?

Nextprojection.com

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 am

Orpheline wrote:

How about Vegan Chili or a Vegetable curry? Doesn't sound very nice but should work for him. Or you could cook a normal meal for your mum and dad and a few nice side dishes that he can also have (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2560 ... table-tray) and he can just not eat the meat? Or vegan gluten-free lasagne? You can use Seitan instead of ground beef.

I knew she wasn't English/cause she spoke it far too well/The grammar was goodly/the verbs as they should be/And the slang was bang on the bell/So as the language barrier clanged and banged/I couldn't hear--hear or see/England, London, and Bow/Crumbled into the sea.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 am

Blevo wrote:
What is the best way to prepare a man who has been stuffed by the pages of a book on the French revolution?
It's obviously a job for a French chef, that much is certain.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 am

Other recommendations;

-A salad oriented meal might work really well, as you could easily make dishes that your parents would find more appealing (maybe potato salad with mayo or pasta salads), and balance it out with vegan friendly ones. Quinoa is a good option, it's glutten free and an extremely versatile grain (could also be good in other meals). Otherwise you can go with more standard salads; bean salads, leafy, vegetable specific (like potato, bean, snow-pea), etc. You can even make a fruit salad for dessert, a nice kind of unity :)

-Eggplants are a great and versatile vegetable than you can easily build more "meaty" meals around without having to include meat. They have great texture and versatile textures, depending on how you cook it. My dad makes a vegan eggplant parmesan that's good. He tells me it's about the same as any recipe for it you'd find, without the cheese. You'd have to use glutten-free flour to "bread" the eggplants. Also, instead of cheese he uses nutritional yeast. Obviously, it does not taste like an eggplant parmesan persay, but it's a delicious meal. It is, however, something I'd recommend making on your own first to see how you personally like it, or to have a better idea on how to balance the flavours. Here is a similar recipe I found on the web that is supposed to be good

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=11249.0

-Some kind of casserole or stew is also a good option. You can go for a kind of Amerianized Mexican casserole that your parents might enjoy. Also, since corn is gluten free, it'll give you more options with breads and grains (Corn Masa Flour!). A mexican meal in general might work if you think it through.

This might end up being a really useful site if you're interested;

http://vegweb.com/

It doesn't have gluten free lists or anything, but at least you'll have the vegan part done. Personally, I'd avoid recipes that call for replacement foods or ready-made alternatives like fake cheeses or meats. They are not only a bit risky as far as ingredient content, but tend to be gross.

That's all I have for now.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:59 am

I'm in the process of making my game changing falafels right now, Rouge, get your dad around the computer in a few hours, he's going to want to take some notes.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next