It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 This Is The Cooking Thread. 
Post Re: This Is The Cooking Thread.

Leda wrote:
Anyway, rhythm, that looks delicious!

Indeed it does.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue May 24, 2011 8:40 am

getrhythm wrote:
Big? I think they're tiny, haha.

OH OH, but it's the most awesome ice tray ever. Little poppy rubber things at the bottom so they pop out easily. Bright green. The cutest.
Yeah, like I said, on second thought it's not what i thought... Still, 4 is a lot where I come from. Also, I haven't had anything with ice cubes at home for five months, since the freezer compartment of the fridge where I live now doesn't actually, y'know, freeze things properly.

Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Yeah, like I said, on second thought it's not what i thought... Still, 4 is a lot where I come from. Also, I haven't had anything with ice cubes at home for five months, since the freezer compartment of the fridge where I live now doesn't actually, y'know, freeze things properly.

I place 5 large ice cubes in my tea. :D

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 am

Iced tea? Or just regular tea that always goes cold very quickly? :P

Tue May 24, 2011 8:48 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Iced tea? Or just regular tea that always goes cold very quickly? :P

Typically, American iced tea is made to be diluted. It is very strong. Stronger than we make our tea for the cup to be drunk hot.

Thus, we put ice in it to chill it mightily!

Interestingly, once when I was in Minnesota I wanted a nice glass of iced tea with lunch, and our server screwed up her face when I ordered "iced tea." She asked, "You mean frozen tea? We don't have that." I explained, "No. It's tea with ice cubes in it." Her face brightened as it dawned on her what I was asking for, and she said, "Oh! You mean cold tea." I said, "Yes. I want cold tea for lunch."

Only place I've ever heard it called anything other than iced tea. Sometimes people drop the 'd' and just call it ice tea.

/language lesson

Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 am

Yeah, but you folks seem to put copious amounts of ice in most soft drinks...

The only ice tea we have over here is of the Lipton variety, and competing brands. Color me surprised when I ordered an ice tea for the first time in America (in Memphis) and the waitress asked me "Sweet or unsweet". I had no idea what I was talking about, and asked what the difference was. She said they added sugar. Or not, obviously. Still thinking of Lipton Ice Tea, which we over here just call ice tea most of the time, I thought that adding sugar was just weird, since it was already a flavored, sweetened drink to begin with, and ordered the 'unsweet' variety. Little did I know that this was just cold tea... I grew accustomed to it over the years on my three visits to the States, but still... it was a strange experience. :P

Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 am

This might be the most stimulating subject yet broached on this forum.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 am

This thread has far too few posts. Maybe it's because it's called cooking thread and not eating thread. Cooking is fun, but eating food is so much better. I'll eat anything if I'm hungry, but definitely appreciate all food there is. If you do it well, I certainly notice and compliment you. Come cook for me!

Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 am

Can we have a discussion about stove top salmon preparation? I was going for crispy skin but it appears I overshot and ended up closer to burned on the outside raw in the middle. Now, I'm doing japanese style so there is a marinade/sauce, but I'm wondering which would be the better plan for next time: go with lower temps overall and once the the second side looks nicely browned add a little sauce and drop the heat even further, and possibly a lid on the pan to get that steam action going to bring the interior to where I want it? or get the first side nice and crispy and then flip and slide the whole thing into the oven 325 degress or so restaurant trick style to get the second side brown and cook the interior at the same time? Or, you know, completely different techniques, whatever you got, bring it on.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:06 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
Can we have a discussion about stove top salmon preparation? I was going for crispy skin but it appears I overshot and ended up closer to burned on the outside raw in the middle. Now, I'm doing japanese style so there is a marinade/sauce, but I'm wondering which would be the better plan for next time: go with lower temps overall and once the the second side looks nicely browned add a little sauce and drop the heat even further, and possibly a lid on the pan to get that steam action going to bring the interior to where I want it? or get the first side nice and crispy and then flip and slide the whole thing into the oven 325 degress or so restaurant trick style to get the second side brown and cook the interior at the same time? Or, you know, completely different techniques, whatever you got, bring it on.

I want to know this too. I tried to make pan-seared salmon tonight and it just ended up sticking and falling apart. It wasn't the best quality fish (previously frozen) so that probably had something to do with it but still, meh. I like to cook salmon in a foil packet with seasonings and a little liquid (white wine, lemon, and herbs, or tomatoes, garlic, and artichokes). Never fails to come out moist and flavorful, but I do miss the crispy skin.

tumblr

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 am

Orpheline wrote:
I want to know this too. I tried to make pan-seared salmon tonight and it just ended up sticking and falling apart. It wasn't the best quality fish (previously frozen) so that probably had something to do with it but still, meh. I like to cook salmon in a foil packet with seasonings and a little liquid (white wine, lemon, and herbs, or tomatoes, garlic, and artichokes). Never fails to come out moist and flavorful, but I do miss the crispy skin.

Could be pan issues, cause whilst I know my salmon issues come down to temperature control, it did all come out in one perfect piece. I have a non stick with like a ... textured bottom on it. I think that combined with a splash of oil and a good hot start (not as high as I went obviously) should crisp up the skin faster than it can stick to the pan.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 am

Evil Prevails wrote:

Could be pan issues, cause whilst I know my salmon issues come down to temperature control, it did all come out in one perfect piece. I have a non stick with like a ... textured bottom on it. I think that combined with a splash of oil and a good hot start (not as high as I went obviously) should crisp up the skin faster than it can stick to the pan.

I think so. My pan is really sticky. I thought I had it hot enough and oily enough but I guess not. I need to get a good non-stick one because my scrambled eggs keep ending up shitty too.

tumblr

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:43 am

You do skin side down first right? I don't do a lot of fish cooking unfortunately because others in my house hate all seafood, but that is the first key.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I gave it a go again yesterday and it turned out much better. I used my same nonstick pan and a splash of oil, but I was more restrained with the the throttle as far as stove top temperature, keeping more in the 6-7 range as opposed to 7-8, and I did do skin side first for a good 3-4 minutes before I peaked, and then roughly the same on the flesh side which got me nice color and char like I was looking for, but the middle looked a little suspect and I decided that the skin could handle a little more heat so I flipped it back to skin side and put the whole pan in the oven at 325 for 5 minutes or so, and then put it back on the stovetop and added my reserve marinade and let that thicken up and reabsorb into the fish for forty five seconds or so. A bit convoluted a process perhaps, but the results? Magnifique.

I hope this has been as riveting for everyone else as it was for me.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:26 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
I gave it a go again yesterday and it turned out much better. I used my same nonstick pan and a splash of oil, but I was more restrained with the the throttle as far as stove top temperature, keeping more in the 6-7 range as opposed to 7-8, and I did do skin side first for a good 3-4 minutes before I peaked, and then roughly the same on the flesh side which got me nice color and char like I was looking for, but the middle looked a little suspect and I decided that the skin could handle a little more heat so I flipped it back to skin side and put the whole pan in the oven at 325 for 5 minutes or so, and then put it back on the stovetop and added my reserve marinade and let that thicken up and reabsorb into the fish for forty five seconds or so. A bit convoluted a process perhaps, but the results? Magnifique.

I hope this has been as riveting for everyone else as it was for me.

This might be helpful to me, for realz. Been craving some salmon for a long time, but it's so damn expensive & always so afraid I'll botch it. That looks simple enough though.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 am

You must like your fish cooked a lot more than I do. I can't imagine putting it in the oven after searing it.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:32 am

Oaktown wrote:
You must like your fish cooked a lot more than I do. I can't imagine putting it in the oven after searing it.

The way I spelled it out in my post it may seem that way, but it was srsly delightfully moist and tender and succulent, nice good sear on the outside and just right up to that line between undercooked and cooked just enough in the center. They were rather wide filets and my stovetop may be underpowered, so much of it comes down to eye and feel and knowing just when to stop. I'm a rare steak guy and an err on sashimi side when it comes to seafood, so I don't think I'm a fish overcooker, and a 325 oven, I mean, you can't even make brownies at the temperature, it's the temperature equivalent of a firm talking too, which is what my filets needed at that point.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:15 am
Profile WWW

Impressive. Being good at cooking does not equal being good at baking. I make some pretty damn good mini pumpkin cheesecakes but nothing else has really been a complete success.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:19 am

Let's talk pork chops.

I've been trying for the life of me to get these to actually have some kind of interesting flavor, of all the really well known cuts of meat, pork chop has to be the hardest to give some kind of interesting flavor..

Somethings I've found useful though

Chilli/BBQ-based rubs, not just throwing barbecue sauce on it, but mixing your own mix of spices, and making a sauce for it with some kind of other sauce or liquid to soak the meat in before cooking it.
Apples are a good flavor to compliment porkchops, with some kind of ground of mixed orange flavors to compliment, but I've got mixed results out of smoking them, grilling them just doesn't give it enough time to soak in the mix, but baking them seems to work best for that route so far. It's a bit too mild a flavor for the effort though, to me.

Yet in the end, I think I'd prefer any other cut of meat to a pork chop. Tend to have a better natural flavor, and they take in seasoning/rub/sauce/etc better.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:00 am

Brine them, dude. Do that for twenty four hours, then go whatever kind of flavor profile you want, or just natural, but get double cut porkchops (more meat = better) and then brine that shit for a day, it's a life changer.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
Brine them, dude. Do that for twenty four hours, then go whatever kind of flavor profile you want, or just natural, but get double cut porkchops (more meat = better) and then brine that shit for a day, it's a life changer.

I'll try that next time.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 am

Knew this was coming.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:42 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2010/10 ... ple-glaze/

I want to make this when the weather starts to get a little cooler.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:44 am
Profile WWW

Those look incredible.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 am

Das ƒloyd wrote:
Let's talk pork chops.

I've been trying for the life of me to get these to actually have some kind of interesting flavor, of all the really well known cuts of meat, pork chop has to be the hardest to give some kind of interesting flavor..

Somethings I've found useful though

Chilli/BBQ-based rubs, not just throwing barbecue sauce on it, but mixing your own mix of spices, and making a sauce for it with some kind of other sauce or liquid to soak the meat in before cooking it.
Apples are a good flavor to compliment porkchops, with some kind of ground of mixed orange flavors to compliment, but I've got mixed results out of smoking them, grilling them just doesn't give it enough time to soak in the mix, but baking them seems to work best for that route so far. It's a bit too mild a flavor for the effort though, to me.

Yet in the end, I think I'd prefer any other cut of meat to a pork chop. Tend to have a better natural flavor, and they take in seasoning/rub/sauce/etc better.

This is of interest to me, because beef has absolutely no flavor for me unless it is rare, or marinated and then slathered in some sort of flavored sauce. But pork chops on their own have a likable flavor, to me. That is, unless they are baked too long and become dry.

Mmmm, that apple suggestion sounds really good. I like both pork chops and baked apples. :up:

I don't cook or grill much, so I can't offer any suggestions concerning preparation, but I found your statement, "pork chop has to be the hardest to give some kind of interesting flavor," to be intriguing! Best of luck with your future experiments.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:51 pm

What's everyone been making lately? I need some inspiration.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:02 am

Evil Prevails wrote:

Pasta sauces with rhubarb

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:03 am

You are disgusting.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:06 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
You are disgusting.

Thanks. but srsly, just like a light sauce with olive oil a bit of broth. Some vegetables, preferably grilled before hand. Some pine nuts, fresh tomatoes and rhubarb.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:13 am

So, no actual pasta?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:13 am

Rhubarb though, that's wild. I was only mean cause your bold culinary decisions scare and intimidate me.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:14 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
So, no actual pasta?

yea, mixed in with high quality spaghetti.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
Rhubarb though, that's wild. I was only mean cause your bold culinary decisions scare and intimidate me.

intimidating my ass.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 am

white kidney beans, tomato, onions and garlic.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 am

You should make my Italian salsa rouge. Grape tomatoes, shallots, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, and balsamic. Feta if you are feeling extra special.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:20 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
You should make my Italian salsa rouge. Grape tomatoes, shallots, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, and balsamic. Feta if you are feeling extra special.

that sounds delicious. WANT in my belly.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 am

I don't have much else to offer unfortunately, haven't had too much for cooking/new discoveries.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
that sounds delicious. WANT in my belly.

I make a variation on it for everything I make. Jalapeno and cilantro for mexican, tarragon and capers for fish, red pepper and artichoke hearts for ... something else. It's the best.

Thanks ROuge, you have inspired me!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:26 am

I made a sort of white bean & diced onion salad with olive oil, white wine vinegar, a bit of dijon mustard, lemon juice, rosemary, basil, parsley, & thyme for lunch today. Simple & quite yummy. Nothing extravagant or creative, though.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:46 am

getrhythm wrote:
I made a sort of white bean & diced onion salad today with olive oil, white wine vinegar, a bit of dijon mustard, lemon juice, rosemary, basil, parsley, & thyme for lunch today. Simple & quite yummy. Nothing extravagant or creative, though.

sounds tasty! SO HUNGY

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:46 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
sounds tasty! SO HUNGY

We have leftovers! Expect a package within a week.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 am

getrhythm wrote:
We have leftovers! Expect a package within a week.

you are the best

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 am

Well I had beurre de cacahuètes on pain de mie complet or something.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:55 am

Fuck, I just reheated some leftover penne with red pepper flakes.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 am
Profile WWW

I humbly approach you, O Corrierino, in the hopes that someone might aid my plight. I am prepping for a big Christmas dinner, mostly looking for side dish ideas -- lately my goal has ballooned out to making this as extravagant as possible, but I serve to a picky family and they're traditionalists at heart, so kicking out an old mainstay for a fresh taste is a no-go. On the plus side, we're all atheists and celebrate it as a commercial and familial holiday than a Hooray, Jesus Was Born! type of deal, so we're considering some sacrilegious options that I think sound fun.

Here's what the menu kinda sorta looks like at this point.
Make ahead on Christmas Eve

Cheesecake brownies. I wanted to make brownies this Christmas to sub in for Christmas cookies for some vague reason and these jumped out at me. Not married to the idea, as we've already got something else in this general area of sweetness and cheesiness lined, up, specifically...

Chocolate chip cheesecake. I made a pecan pie cheesecake for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit, but chocolate was requested for this holiday so chocolate it is. This stands in for a second pie.

Pumpkin pie. Just our traditional recipe, unfuckwithable by family standards.

Watergate salad. I HATE this, and barring some heinous disaster it is easily going to be the worst thing on the table, but everyone else seems to like it, to the point of insisting that it be brought into existence once more. Bleh, at least it's easy to make. Maybe I'll "accidentally" use the wrong food coloring and turn it purple in protest.

Corn muffins -- recipe provided for reference, I deviate in a few areas. Not exceptionally Christmasy, but tasty and needed for a couple other dishes.

Christmas Day

Turkey breast, mashed potatoes, gravy. There aren't really enough of us to justify a whole bird. We also have deep enough Irish roots that we could probably get away with an unseasoned, undiluted pot of mashed potatoes, but we add in some milk or cream for consistency anyway. Lastly, no cranberry dressing -- if anyone here even likes it they still haven't said anything.

Cornbread sausage stuffing. On Tgiving I halved this recipe and went all cornbread with the muffins I made. I was skeptical, and I had to make an un-meated pan for those in the fam who aren't into sausage that much, but it turned out pretty great and I'm eager to tweak it.

Challah. I love the idea of making a traditional Jewish dish on a big Christian holiday. We don't have any kind of room on the countertops or in the oven for a loaf of bread but we have a nice crappy breadmaker recipe ripe for the trying.

Apple strudel. I also love the idea of replacing one of the most American dishes of any season with a German one, and we haven't had an apple pie on any of the big food holidays for years so I'm not stepping on anybody's favourite dish. My one concern is that it calls for phyllo dough and, as a matter of wholly misguided pride, I've been trying to go totally scratch on most or all of these dishes this year. But everything I've read in cookbooks old and new, on food sites, everywhere, pretty much says that if you want to make phyllo dough by hand you should punch yourself in the crotch until you agree to use the store-bought stuff. Anyone had any experience in this area?

Boiled corn. Pretty self-explanatory.

Stir-fried broccoli -- this was my big fuck-you to green bean casserole on Thanksgiving and it was a smashing success, just fried up a little garlic, added the florets with some water and gave them a good quick fry for 3-5 minutes. Considering most of our stuff is somewhere in the brown area of the color spectrum this also looked great, and the whole crunchy crisp fresh-tasting thing was a great counterpoint to the heavy comfort food flavors everywhere else.

Cinnamon rolls. We love our traditions, and our desserts apparently.

We have more than enough food at this point but I have a few spare pots and a slow cooker that I'm looking to dirty up -- I just can't find anything that I think would fly with the fam. (Sweet potatoes are a no-no, for example.) I've found some divine-sounding molten chocolate cakes that I could stuff in the crockpot, but I think I might have too much chocolate already (if such a thing is possible) and I'd really like to get some more fruits and veggies into the mix if I can. Anybody have any favourites from this time of year?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:00 pm

That sounds like so much great food already! So I am mostly suggesting things that will work well as leftovers if necessary.

I love all manner of roasted vegetables so I'll go ahead and suggest brussels sprouts (with maybe shallots or pancetta or both!), roasted beets and/or roasted carrots. The candy cane beets in particular look really festive and pretty.

Another option might be to do a root vegetable soup of some kind? Maybe a parsnip or celeriac soup. I make a celeriac soup with a little gruyere and it makes my kitchen smell like heaven!

A gratin might be nice too. Works well with winter root vegetables and here again, I use cheese (instead of all cream) but that's just because I think cheese makes everything better.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:51 pm

You could make your corn muffins Christmasy (and spicy!) by adding diced red and green chiles :)

tumblr

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:07 am

Will that boiled corn still be on the cob? Can you even get that in December?

My mom has, for years, made some variant of sweet potatoes: either just boil them until soft, pour a lot of marshmallows atop them in a casserole and brown in the oven, or some elaborate recipe that she found in Southern Living that includes whipping cream, pecans and spices. Both are very good. Go great either with turkey or ham, and especially go great with you teeth.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:27 am

Evil Prevails wrote:

I'm making Boneless short ribs with the sauce mixture from:
http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/slow-bra ... and-garlic
with a few modifications, I want to cook the sauce before hand, and smoke it with half of the mixture on it while cooking, then put the rest on afterwards.

Tonight.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next