It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Cowboy Bebop, Ep-By-Ep! 
Post Re: Smalley becomes even furtherly distracted...

You might have been correct, Gort. It's not unheard of for a series to peak in its first season. There's shows to help back you up on that. Heroes, Dark Angel, Glee - just off top of my head. I just like to think that Firefly had a stronger group of people working behind it than those shows that do peak in their first year. But of course, we can only speak hypothetically and cite past shows to help prove our points. We'll never know what would have happened with Firefly. At least we got a consistently fun run while it lasted.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:54 am

Bumpage.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:28 pm

MadMan wrote:
Bumpage.

Hmm. I expected another post about a session. I guess Smalley got further furtherly distracted...

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 pm

That's our Smalley, heh.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:10 am

:oops: Sry, guys.

Finally, another session for Ed! Sadly, "Mushroom Samba" would be the last such episode focusing exclusively on her, but at least it's a lot of fun, returning to the familiar motif of not having enough to eat, but shaking things up a bit by kind of having that be the focus of the ep, along with Ed taking center-stage, which naturally makes this one a more light-hearted, comedic episode, and lot of fun as well. I loved watching Faye, Jet, & Spike hallucinating (as well as Ein!), the Blaxploitation nods were great, and it's awesome to see Ed & Ein come to the rescue for once. Love that train chase. Perfect way to do a light-hearted ep right c'here.

Muzak: "Chicken Bone", "You Make Me Cool", & "Mushroom Hunting" are all great fun, and fit the session like a glove. Luv 'em.

Best line: "Obnoxious little frog."

Best moment: The end, where all they have to eat for forever are mushrooms.

Final score: A

LIFE IS BUT A DREAM...

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:45 pm

You been out drivin' tractors?

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 am

Gort wrote:
You been out drivin' tractors?

I can't drive tractors you stereotyper :-/

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 am

Lately Cartoon Network has been showing episodes in order, with two episodes every Saturday night (they've been doing that for ages) at 1 am CST. This weekend they will be re-airing the series finale, at least I think they will, and I'm going to rewatch it again. Viewing episodes 23 and 24 was pretty cool, as they are both great.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:18 pm

MadMan wrote:
Lately Cartoon Network has been showing episodes in order, with two episodes every Saturday night (they've been doing that for ages) at 1 am CST. This weekend they will be re-airing the series finale, at least I think they will, and I'm going to rewatch it again. Viewing episodes 23 and 24 was pretty cool, as they are both great.

Yes they are.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm

"Speak Like A Child" is a decent session, and it does set up a pay-off episode that is one of Bebop's very best, but besides that, I'd have to call it one of Bebop's lesser ones. It's just pretty low-key stuff with no kind of antagonist around to give the proceedings a sense of urgency, just the mystery of Faye's past (intriguing as it is). Doesn't have as much personality as some eps, either. I did like the comic relief with the technology nerd, and there were some cool montages here, but I don't understand why the packages were being forwarded around and around, or who did so, and I thought Faye's video for her future self was a little too schmaltzy. Oh well, the good still outweighs the weaker stuff in this one in the end, though not by the biggest margin.

Muzak: The male vocals version of "Adieu" is cool (though we don't get to hear much of it), but "Poor Faye" doesn't leave much of an impression. That's it for new music in this one.

Best line: "I can't remember..."

Best moment: The montage of Jet & Spike struggling through the museum.

Final score: B

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:34 pm

"Wild Horses" is a really well-done, fun, and exciting episode;
Reggie was a fun one-time character, striking the right balance between over-enthusiasm and annoyance, Doohan was a good counter-point as the gruff, rude, and demanding, but still affectionate blue-collar guy, and I liked seeing who gave Spike The Swordfish, as well as hearing it used to be a racer. I loved Doohan over-hauling a current-era space shuttle to fly again and then using it, the space pirates were cool bad guys, and Jet using simple satellite signals to guide The Swordfish was a cool idea. The climax is great, with Spike being trapped in the Earth's gravitational field, and the ending is great, where we get to hear that famous line of Spike's. Love it.

Muzak: Lots of dusty acoustic guitar work, suits the ep very well (with all the desert stuff with Doohan), and "Too Good, Too Bad" is a very cool counterpart to "NY Rush", sort of.

Best line: "Whatever happens, happens."

Best moment: The ending.

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Smalley wrote:
I can't drive tractors you stereotyper :-/

Heck, I can drive tractors, and I'm a city boy (with country friends and relatives...who are really unnecessary.)

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Gort wrote:
Heck, I can drive tractors, and I'm a city boy (with country friends and relatives...who are really unnecessary.)

Well, if any tractors need to be driven around where I live, my dad can take care of it :P

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Smalley wrote:
Well, if any tractors need to be driven around where I live, my dad can take care of it :P

There ya go. As it should be. Your job is keeping us up to date on Bebop.

Say, I found the commercials for bounty hunters to be a little tedious after a while. Did you? Or did they stay fresh and funny throughout the series?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Gort wrote:
There ya go. As it should be. Your job is keeping us up to date on Bebop.

Say, I found the commercials for bounty hunters to be a little tedious after a while. Did you? Or did they stay fresh and funny throughout the series?

You mean Big Shot! ?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 am

Smalley wrote:
You mean Big Shot! ?

I guess. I can't remember the name. A man and a woman come on TV and announce bounties that are available. Is that Big Shot?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 am

Gort wrote:
I guess. I can't remember the name. A man and a woman come on TV and announce bounties that are available. Is that Big Shot?

Yes it is. I like Big Shot! .

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 am

Smalley wrote:
Yes it is. I like Big Shot! .

Okay. I did too, at first. But I sort of began cringing when they would pop onto the screen toward the end of the series. I guess it was just me. :D I don't remember Big Shot appearing in the movie.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 am

Gort wrote:
Okay. I did too, at first. But I sort of began cringing when they would pop onto the screen toward the end of the series. I guess it was just me. :D I don't remember Big Shot appearing in the movie.

I think it did.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 am

Smalley wrote:
I think it did.

I confess that I dozed off, and that may have been when they appeared. It was just a tiny cat nap, but if the segment was really short...

I still regret that I didn't make more of an effort to come have a cup of java with you that time I was in Memphis and you were on campus at U of M. [/outoftheblueremarks]

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 am

Damn Smalley you are making me want to go all the way back through the series again, when I have so many other TV shows I need to watch.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 am

MadMan wrote:
Damn Smalley you are making me want to go all the way back through the series again, when I have so many other TV shows I need to watch.

Mission accomplished 8-)

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:20 am

The bleakest, darkest, session of Bebop, as well as one of its action-iest/most violent, "Pierrot Le Fou" is loaded down with style from start to finish, from the awesome first-person flying sequence at the start to the wordless killing sequence just before the break, to the brilliant montage revealing the truth about "Mad" Pierrot's past. Also loved the part where Spike killed the Goofy robot :D Mad Pierrot is one of Bebop's finest one-off villains, with his teeth-gritting, red eyes, and giant, insane grin, and I love the idea of unstoppable killing technology being accidentally placed in the hands of a child's mind. Plenty of great, intense, extended action scenes here, and I liked seeing Spike recklessly going ahead to face Pierrot even while all banged up, and winning! It was refreshing to see him get banged-up for once, though. Anyway, bad-ass ep.

Muzak: Lots of creepy, dark, sparse ambient stuff here, which suits the mood of the ep perfectly, I love "On The Run", and the generic amusement park soundtrack was an interesting contrast to the onscreen events.

Best line: "Helloo, gentlemen; I journeyed here in order to take your lives..."

Best moment: The truth about Pierrot's past.

Final score: A+

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 am

Wondering: are you re-watching these before you write about them? Because I don't remember much of what you're writing about, and I watched the series start to finish. Maybe it didn't stick.

Maybe old-timer's is setting in. I can't even remember how long ago I watched them, but I'm pretty sure it was in 2010. I think since we started the Trends page.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:40 am

Pierrot was really goddamn creepy. But his fate is really disturbing, perhaps even a bit tragic.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Meifa was a really fun character, I liked the Blues Brothers-thugs, the mention of another syndicate beside the Red Dragons for once, the cool little device Meifa had, and the show finally acknowledging the anachronism of everyone smoking, but all the Feng Shui mumbo-jumbo, creepy, pedophiliac romantic tension between Jet & Meifa, and lame last line bring it down. I still don't know why the thugs wanted to kill Meifa, and overall, it's kind of boring by Bebop standards. I like the Ed stuff, and it isn't quite mediocre, but that's still not enough to save it. The 2nd worst session.

Muzak: "Autumn In Ganymede" is fun, "Gateway" is good, but kind of feels like going over retreaded musical territory, & "Forever Broke" is again good, but feels like retreaded music.

Best line: "Open mouth, insert foot."

Best moment: The use of "Waltz For Zizi" near the end.

Final score: C+

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Gort wrote:
Wondering: are you re-watching these before you write about them? Because I don't remember much of what you're writing about, and I watched the series start to finish. Maybe it didn't stick.

Maybe old-timer's is setting in. I can't even remember how long ago I watched them, but I'm pretty sure it was in 2010. I think since we started the Trends page.

Of course I re-watch 'em :P

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 pm

I actually really like that episode, despite it largely being a bit too light toned at times.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 am

Hilarious, great fun episode with a hilarious bad guy and a great rival for Spike in Andy, who gives us a deconstruction of the more troublesome aspects of Spike's personality. Andy's voice and arrogance is hilarious; he's like a pre-Futurama Zapp Brannigan. Gotta love Jet in those hippie clothes with the wig and weed shirt too, and that voice. I love how everyone can hear Andy's theme music as he's coming, too :D Great fights between Spike & Andy. Incredibly fun stuff.

Muzak: Four words: "Go Go Cactus Man".

Best line: "If there's one thing I hate it's being... IGNORED!"

Best moment: Jet wearing the pot shirt.

SEE YOU SPACE SAMURAI...

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

If the show had lasted longer, I would have loved to see Andy come back for another episode.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:01 pm

MadMan wrote:
If the show had lasted longer, I would have loved to see Andy come back for another episode.

Definitely.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 am

Golly, I just realized that I remember more about the series than I do about the movie.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:43 am

Gort wrote:
Golly, I just realized that I remember more about the series than I do about the movie.

The opposite for me... course, I re-watched the movie fairly recently.

Reading through the thread really does bring back good memories though. Makes me want to shell out the money for the set on amazon...

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:02 am
Profile WWW

^It's on Youtube too, Hank.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 am

Hank wrote:
The opposite for me... course, I re-watched the movie fairly recently.

Reading through the thread really does bring back good memories though. Makes me want to shell out the money for the set on amazon...

I noticed that the movie is on BRD, but the series is still only DVD. I'll bet it was mastered in SD television, and won't be out on Blu.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:09 am

Smalley wrote:
^It's on Youtube too, Hank.

Oh really? That's very interesting because when we recently moved we decided not to pay for cable. Instead, I hooked my pc up to my television and we stream a lot of tv shows. I'll have to look it up, thanks for the tip :up:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:17 am
Profile WWW

Gort wrote:
I noticed that the movie is on BRD, but the series is still only DVD. I'll bet it was mastered in SD television, and won't be out on Blu.

:oops: I still don't have Blu.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
:oops: I still don't have Blu.

My son is putting together a multi-media PC for him and his brother to use instead of cable...and he didn't buy a Blu player when he ordered the parts.

He says if he wants Blu he'll buy a PS3.

His brother is at the Game Developer's Conference in San Fran. New 'puter will be running when he returns tomorrow.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 pm

The movie was really good, but I saw it first before I went and saw every single episode in the series. I'm glad that I didn't wave the series finale by accident before viewing all episodes all the way through.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:46 pm

The movie has been added back to my instant watch list so that when we get to discussing it I can brush up on it.

Too bad the series isn't on instant.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 pm

The day its on Instant Viewing, I'll be sitting around watching episodes left and right. I should really revisit the movie.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 pm

MadMan wrote:
The day its on Instant Viewing, I'll be sitting around watching episodes left and right. I should really revisit the movie.

It's planned to go up on Instant soon?

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Nah, I'm just hoping it does go up on Instant one day. Wishful thinking.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm

The reason for the long delay is because I was trying to fit in a review of the boring movie here since it was supposed to come in between 22 & 23, but it was delaying the thread too long, so fuck it.

Happy trails, "Big Shot"! But seriously, "Brain Scratch" is one creepy, surreal, beautiful, haunting, emotional episode with great synergy in using the entire crew pretty much equally, even the oft-neglected (for some reason) Ein. Brilliant satire of cults and self-satire of the cult-like control TV now holds over humanity; I love the endless stream of unrelated commercials after the cold opening proves we'll watch anything on TV, even it's pure bullshit. Beautiful animation in this one too. One of their best sessions.

Muzak: Some intentionally-annoying background music for the TV stuff means it's short on good, original music, but "23 Hanashi" is quite haunting & beautiful.

Best line: "Everyone should have... the same body... as me."

Best moment: When "Londes" is being slowly shut down.

Final score: A+

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Fri May 06, 2011 4:10 pm

The movie is not boring, Smalley :P

Brain Scratch is fantastic. I also think it in many ways deepens the relationship between Spike and Fey.

Sat May 07, 2011 6:39 am

I've only seen the movie once, but I never really cared to revisit it. It was basically an extended episode, and a weak one at that.

Web of Insanity!(Updated 5-16-11)

Sat May 07, 2011 6:50 am

MadMan wrote:
The movie is not boring, Smalley :P

Brain Scratch is fantastic. I also think it in many ways deepens the relationship between Spike and Fey.

Wat
Morphoseth wrote:
I've only seen the movie once, but I never really cared to revisit it. It was basically an extended episode, and a weak one at that.

So true; doesn't do anything better or really different from the series, and it was ultimately just a pointless exercise. Too slow, too.

Sat May 07, 2011 7:19 am

Smalley wrote:
Wat

So true; doesn't do anything better or really different from the series, and it was ultimately just a pointless exercise. Too slow, too.
However the hell her name is spelled (I was too lazy to look it up) :P

And while yes when I saw the movie I was only halfway through the series. But its still really entertaining, and a good TV to movie adaption.

Sat May 07, 2011 7:21 am

MadMan wrote:
However the hell her name is spelled (I was too lazy to look it up) :P

And while yes when I saw the movie I was only halfway through the series. But its still really entertaining, and a good TV to movie adaption.

I saw the movie at least a year after I saw the series, so I had no idea where it fit in chronologically. I enjoyed the movie, but it seemed to lack some of the snap of the series. Not boring, though.

Sat May 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Gort wrote:
I saw the movie at least a year after I saw the series, so I had no idea where it fit in chronologically. I enjoyed the movie, but it seemed to lack some of the snap of the series. Not boring, though.

Yep. Same for me.

Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next