It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Cowboy Bebop, Ep-By-Ep! 
Post Re: Smalley becomes even furtherly distracted...

Hank wrote:
Yep. Same for me.

I sort of wonder if the series would have had the same snap if I'd had to wait a week between episodes, instead of simply pressing Play All on a DVD.

I've seen so few programs in the old, traditional way in the past 10 years that I'm sure some of them really wouldn't have held my attention if I'd watched them off air. Case in point: Jericho. After they took a two-month break in the winter, I just didn't care enough to finish the second half of what turned out to be the only season of the show. Case in point, Heroes, after they took a break mid-season one, I never watched it again, and I was watching it as streaming video on the NBC website.

But, here, Smalley watched the movie in its chronological order and he found it boring. I wonder.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 am

The show's wrap-up continues with us finally finding out the truth about Ed & Faye's past, and also saying goodbye to Ed & Ein for the last time. Tender, funny, and touching, with great comic relief moments, especially coming from the great one-off character of Applederry. Love that beautiful montage when Faye's in the shower remembering her past for the first time, and of course, the even better montage at the end of Faye finding the ruins of her house, and Ed/Ein leaving the Bebop for good. Simply heartbreaking. Love the fight scene where Spike actually LOSES, and seeing Spike/Jet being confounded when they find out Ed actually has a normal human dad. This is starting to sound old, but "Hard Luck Woman" really is one of their best sessions.

Muzak: "PAPA Plastic" is a lot of fun, "Poor Faye (Lip Cream)" is beautiful, and "Don't Bother None" is great fun. And of course, "Call Me Call Me"!

Best line: "Thanks for taking care of my son! Or uh, was it my daughter?"

Best moment: The "Call Me Call Me" montage.

Final score: A+

SEE YOU COWGIRL,
SOMEDAY, SOMEWHERE!

Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Ed/Ein leaving made me really sad. They were both great characters, although its quite fitting that the smart corgi would wander off with her into the sunset.

And her dad was really funny, and clearly based off of the dad from Pippi Longstocking.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 am

Beautiful, bittersweet, and exhilarating, "The Real Folk Blues, Part II" is all we could've asked for and more in a conclusion to the show, and a revelatory experience; we finally get to see more of the backstory behind the series, and finally get to see the beautiful Julia in-depth some. Great action scenes and emotions here, where we really get inside the characters' heads, and great use of music all-around as well. Excellent starting conclusion to the show, even though Part 2 (IMO) doesn't quite live up to it. Still incredible, however...

Muzak: Emily Bindiger's "Adieu" is wonderful, and "Road To The West"/"Memory" remain as great as ever.

Best line: "Find what you lost, and get it back...
Go."

Best moment: Too hard to choose : /

Final score: A+

TO BE CONTINUED

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:25 am

It's good to see that you look like you are going to finish this... :D

I've enjoyed it. :up:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 am
Profile WWW

About damn time he finished it :P

The show's final two episodes are flat out brilliant, and were really surprising. Thanks to Cartoon Network I got to watch them both again a couple weeks back, and its remarkable how powerful the first half is.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 am

Smalley, my son wants you to finish this!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:01 am
Post Re: Cowboy Bebop, Ep-By-Ep!

Now that I've seen this, I can read this entire thread.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Now that I've seen this, I can read this entire thread.

YAY!!!! What was your favorite episode?!? Least favorite?? Favorite scene, favorite song, favorite character AHHHHHH we have so much to talk about here!!! By the way, sorry that I never reviewed "The Real Folk Blues II" (and to a lesser extent, the movie), but I just didn't feel like ending the thread on a sort of "down" note (in a perfect world, "Hard Luck Woman" would've somehow been able to function as the real finale, but alas). Hey, at least I made a LOT more progress with this one than a certain other ep-by-ep review thread...

:shifty:

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

It's been a few years, might have to dust these off again. I remember a huge leap in understanding these from the first to second time around, maybe it'll happen again.

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Ah, Shinichiro Watanabe. Cowboy Bebop is brilliant but I prefer Samurai Champloo as a whole, that a man can produce two top tier masterclass series is astonishing. Champloo hits on more things which resonate with me, I'm more hip hop than jazz. Both should be viewed as a companion to one another

Also, watch Kids on the Slope about a duo of jazz musicians, it's slice of life but so well done. The animation for the jazz performances is astonishing, like, how tf do you even animate drums properly??

Space Dandy is good, funny viewing and very Bebop in it's episodic nature, though not strictly a Watanabe production it carries his DNA throughout. It's very American and should be watched dubbed if not to miss out on Ian Inclair's performance as the titular Dandy

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:26 am

topherH wrote:
It's been a few years, might have to dust these off again. I remember a huge leap in understanding these from the first to second time around, maybe it'll happen again.
For me, Bebop couldn't have come into my life at a better moment, having just turned 13 during the fall of 2001 when it debuted on the very first showing of Adult Swim, back when I had just started getting into film/TV more "seriously" than before (and, it gave me something to associate with that time besides 9/11, so that was good). I was lucky enough to catch its debut and was hooked right from "Asteroid Blues", and the rest, as they say, is history (although I was out of town on the night that they aired "The Real Folk Blues Part II", so I actually didn't catch the finale until 4 years later when I purchased a full bootleg boxset of the series off of Amazon, and I actually saw that dull-ass movie before I saw it, but considering as how I don't think it's up to the general caliber of the rest of the show, it really wasn't a big deal). Anyway, it's almost certainly the TV series that's had the biggest impact on me in my entire life, seeing as how early it hit me as a youngling, and the the only real competition for it a far as other shows would be Breaking Bad and The Simpsons, and even then they're perfectly equal to each other, as far as I'm concerned; I love Bebop!!!
The Nameless One wrote:
Ah, Shinichiro Watanabe. Cowboy Bebop is brilliant but I prefer Samurai Champloo as a whole, that a man can produce two top tier masterclass series is astonishing. Champloo hits on more things which resonate with me, I'm more hip hop than jazz. Both should be viewed as a companion to one another

Also, watch Kids on the Slope about a duo of jazz musicians, it's slice of life but so well done. The animation for the jazz performances is astonishing, like, how tf do you even animate drums properly??

Space Dandy is good, funny viewing and very Bebop in it's episodic nature, though not strictly a Watanabe production it carries his DNA throughout. It's very American and should be watched dubbed if not to miss out on Ian Inclair's performance as the titular Dandy
I saw a handful of eps of Champloo back when it debuted on AS in '05, and, while it didn't seem as good as Bebop from what I saw, (at least not the best episodes of it), and it might have been a bit too similar to it in style, story, and tone, I still remember enjoying what I saw anyway. I also watched the first couple of episodes of Space Dandy, and remember being taken aback because I wasn't expecting it to be such a straight-up comedy, but it was probably good anyway, I just went into it with the wrong expectations. To be honest with you, these days I'm pretty much completely focused on watching and writing about movies, and I'm not currently watching any TV series, but when I get back in the mood for it, I'll definitely think about checking out Champloo, Kids On The Slope, and Space Dandy some day; at the very least, I'll always be eternally grateful to Wantanabe for directing Bebop so masterfully, at least.

Edit: And oh yeah, the short "A Detective Story" he directed as part of The Animatrix collection was really good too!

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4